Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hello!

Basically I'm planning on starting up a weekly movie watching thread with the help of Srice (and obviously YOU!), but rather than have it turn into nothing more than 'please watch my favourite movies' and with SA lacking any easy way of voting for things I'm looking to make a list of films that people want to watch or think that others should see that I can pull from. My hope is to make as diverse a mix as possible rather than just being weird poo poo from the 80's that it would become with just me running things. It's also something of an interest check since there's not much point if the overall reaction is 'meh'.

So, here's what I want: tell me your favourite anime movies, tell me your obscure poo poo no-one else has ever seen, tell me things you've been meaning to see but never quite get around to it. If you think something is worth watching say so.

Couple of rules:

1. Movies and short OAV's only, something like this will only work if it's not going to take up huge chunks of peoples time. If it can be watched in a couple of hours that's fine though. If it's part of a longer series it should be watchable as a standalone film.

2: Don't just drop lists, make a bit of effort to say why you like something or think other people should watch it. I'm not expecting huge effort posts, just one or two sentences is fine. Obviously you can make huge effort posts if you like, but I'm not guaranteeing anyone will actually read them.
People posting movies they want to see but haven't are exempt from this rule but please try not to drop huge lists.

It's not going to be a simulwatch, just once a week I'm going to put up a movie that you may or may not want to watch and talk about, probably starting this Monday if there's enough interest.

People are encouraged to to highlight other people's suggestions they think are particularly good, I'd prefer it if people didn't do the opposite without a very good reason though. 'I don't personally care for it' not being a good enough one.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The best and some might say only anime.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Voices of a Distant Star

Doing space drama over a decade before Interstellar, Voices' is the story that one guy who made 5cm per sec likes to tell over and over again - and it's told well, and very succinctly in Voices.

It's a cool thing and very touching for being only 30~ minutes long.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I have good memories of Dead Leaves but it's been 10 years and I'm not sure how much is nostalgia

it's a bit of a weird one but has some fun action. Like the airsoft scenes from FLCL extended to 50 minutes.

check out these two cool reviews:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I.. I don't want agree with jojonaug on anything :negative:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I.. I don't want agree with jojonaug on anything :negative:

You have the same opinion on diebuster too. :twisted:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm glad Sakurazaku finally outed himself as the jonjon parachute.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

noooooo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I suggest Millennium Actress because I want to watch the movie, Millennium Actress, again.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I suggest the OAV Black Lion because it's insanely sick and features dope-rear end samurais and chopped off heads.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen Millennium Actress yet and have been meaning to.

I wouldn't mind revisiting some of those City Hunter movies or OVAs but it's been so long since I watched any of them that I don't remember which one(s) are best to suggest.

Sword of the Stranger is my go-to non-Ghibli anime movie suggestion because it has some amazing action scenes and also because I just really like samurai movies.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
There's always the old standby of Ghibli movies to choose from. Personally my favorites are Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service. I think we can all at least find them agreeable and nicely animated. :shobon:

EDIT: I've always meant to watch The Girl Who Leaped Through Time, but never got around to it. Perhaps it'd be best to do it in the company of my fellow goons?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 14, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrSunshine posted:

There's always the old standby of Ghibli movies to choose from. Personally my favorites are Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service. I think we can all at least find them agreeable and nicely animated. :shobon:

EDIT: I've always meant to watch The Girl Who Leaped Through Time, but never got around to it. Perhaps it'd be best to do it in the company of my fellow goons?

Ghibli Movies have now been suggested if people could please refrain from listing every single one. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 14, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You were just waiting for that to happen, weren't you? :haw:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am interested in perhaps watching more anime movies, but I do not know of many good ones that I haven't watched that don't also revolve around robots, card games or standard battle shounen.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'd like to watch The Flying Phantom Ship. It's a real good, real short anime from the 60s that packs the craziness of four or five films into it's hour running time. A young Hayao Miyazaki did the key animation for a pivotal sequence.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Read or Die is probably my favorite OVA ever. It's James Bond with superpowers. When I sit down for lunch I'll turn this into a full write-up.

Technically, my favorite anime ever counts, as a two episode show: The Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman, a wonderfully silly Sentai parody about Businessmen Power Rangers.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

In fact, instead of the 60s Simulwatch I had planned to do at some point, we could just have a 60s night where we watch The Flying Phantom Ship and The Little Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon, an anime that aesthetically influenced Samurai Jack and Wind Waker, and is a good watch in it's own right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds like a good idea, I'll make a note of that on the list.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a letter to momo.
after her father dies, momo and her mother move to a small oceanside village. being an 11 year old girl with a dead dad, momo of course isn't happy with this. nor is she happy with the fact that their new home is also the home of several youkai. if you like ghibli movies like spirited away, you will probably like this

poop, smurfs, action and sex.

Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai

do you wish that chuunibyou wasn't a total piece of poo poo? do you want it to actual have a a slight romantic arc. do you want to see an anime that deals with the bullying that would obviously happen to chuunis. this is the movie for you. it has some nudity, but if a movie theatre full of art festival types can handle it, so can you

saint young men
jesus and buddha hang out together and do cute stuff

how about live action adaptions of anime/manga

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Live action adaptations are fine, but I would probably dedicate a week to a couple of them or use them as extras rather than just mix them in as normal.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh good, cause I was gonna mention the Rurouni Kenshin movies as being a possibility. I might have some actual anime movie suggestions later once I have time to do brief write-ups.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

then i want everyone to watch dasepo naughty girls. i would never call it good, but it is really weird, out there and filled with social commentary

i think its also on hulu, but an american would have to check if this is the movie or the tv show i haven't seen
http://www.hulu.com/watch/517871

another suggestion is tokyo tribe

do you like rap (yeah!) do you like japanese people (yeah!) do you like asian babes (yeah!!!) do you like shion sono (yeah!!) do you like gangs brutally murdering each other while rapping (I GUESS!!!). well this is the movie for you

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

then i want everyone to watch dasepo naughty girls. i would never call it good, but it is really weird, out there and filled with social commentary

i think its also on hulu, but an american would have to check if this is the movie or the tv show i haven't seen

do you like rap (yeah!) do you like japanese people (yeah!) do you like asian babes (yeah!!!) do you like shion sono (yeah!!) do you like gangs brutally murdering each other while rapping (I GUESS!!!). well this is the movie for you

that dude in the kabuto and camo pants is who i want to be right now

i vote for that movie

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i just noticed his giant mad max shoulderpads

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

watch Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene its happy and fun, Sword of the Stranger its cool and has fighting, a South Korean movie Leafie a Hen into the Wild its cool and has cool ducks and other animals in it, or Tamako Love Story its kyoani and i liked it a lot and just wanted to list it

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

watch Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene its happy and fun, Sword of the Stranger its cool and has fighting, a South Korean movie Leafie a Hen into the Wild its cool and has cool ducks and other animals in it, or Tamako Love Story its kyoani and i liked it a lot and just wanted to list it

Haven't seen the latter two, but I'll second Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene for being a family-friendly film as well as being a story about family, and thirding Sword of the Stranger as being a neat samurai action film.

GorfZaplen posted:

I'd like to watch The Flying Phantom Ship. It's a real good, real short anime from the 60s that packs the craziness of four or five films into it's hour running time. A young Hayao Miyazaki did the key animation for a pivotal sequence.

Didn't know about this one. Another young Hayao Miyazaki film is The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun.
Granted, I've only seen it raw since someone was streaming it but I'd be interested in a rewatch. Without subtitles, it's straightforward enough to follow along and is an adventure.

Davincie posted:

Movie.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
My personal watchlist:

But were I to suggest a movie to others, it would be The Wings of Honnêamise. It's late '80s Gainax, it looks beautiful, and it nails the details of the setting better than anything I've ever seen. Little background details are ubiquitous, such as characters eating with alien utensils, foreigners speaking different languages, clothing having consistent designs within cultures, etc. The cultures feel exotic, yet feasible, and not quite like any in real life. It's very plainly not set on earth, but it feels like a story that could have happened on a earth-like world populated with humans. It's something of a cult classic among anime fans in Japan, but never really got much attention over here. Both for its own merits and for its place in anime history, it's a film more folks should watch.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

If live action movies count we should watch Tokyo Drifter or Branded To Kill or any other suzuki movie.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Gonna throw out A Thousand and One Nights, Cleopatra, and Belladonna of Sadness. All three are Osamu Tezuka and Eiichi Yamamoto trying to get more "mature" anime into theaters. But by mature I mean more experimental. It still features the more cartoon-y style Tezuka is known for, but there's lots of just weird experimentation going on. For example, Cleopatra starts off with live action actors with their heads drawn over with animation:

To be upfront, I've only seen Cleopatra entirely and it wasn't great, but I think this is the kind of more obscure stuff people should try out. I know the creator of Utena was influenced by Belladonna of Sadness, for one.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

those arent manga adaptions

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Oh okay....

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
5 Centimeters Per Second

From the same guy who created Voices From a Distant Star. Awesome and cute. Brings a tear to my eye in a bittersweet way. Most everyone here has probably watched it already, but I like how unflinchingly realistic the ending is despite the super romantic undertones.

Escaflowne

An alternate telling of the TV series. It isn't generally considered in as high a regard as the show, but the animation is beautiful, and as long as you take it as a separate work from the show, it is quite entertaining.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate the Escaflowne movie with a passion but if other people want to see it I'll add it to the list.
At the bottom.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Most everyone here has probably watched it already, but I like how unflinchingly realistic the ending is despite the super romantic undertones.
It's me. I'm the one that hasn't watched most of the things posted here. Including these two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff I have been thinking about for this:

Arcadia of My Youth/My Youth in Arcadia

Goes by a few different titles but it's the first Captain Harlock movie. Matsumoto's works don't rely on continuity at all so it can be watched without seeing anything else. It has some nice action though in true Matsumoto fashion the movie primarily focuses on character ideals over battles.

Galaxy Express 999

Most people probably haven't seen any Galaxy Express 999, since the tv show is hella old and over 100 episodes long. The most the average person probably knows, if anything, is that it's the space train anime. This first movie is a retelling of the series, that replaces the episodic storytelling in favor of a narrative that fits into a movie. It's one of those classics that rarely gets attention, and that's a shame.

Mystery of Mamo/Secret of Mamo

I know Sakurazuka has seen this, but for the benefit of everyone else, it's the first Lupin movie. Cagliostro set the formula that plenty of anime series movies follow. It's a pattern we're all familiar with, even if you haven't seen Cagliostro you've almost certainly seen something that uses the same beats.

Mamo isn't like that. The people making it had no precedent to work from, so they had to figure out how to make a feature length film about a series that has no ongoing story. It gets quite crude at times, but in a way that's just a blast to watch. It's weirdly violent, the cast doesn't play nice, there's a chase scene with a truck the size of a building, and the very first line of dialogue in the movie features Zenigata accusing Lupin of trying to be like Dracula while he tries to thrust a stake in Lupin's heart.

It's cool. It's unique. It's absolutely worth checking out. Not everyone will like it but there's so much variety in the movie that even folks that dislike the movie will probably have a few scenes they enjoy.

Hells

I personally haven't seen this one, but I've always meant to. A pal I trust said that it's a bit flawed but that the interesting visuals made up for it, and that's a good enough reason for me to nominate it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also I've been meaning to watch A Letter to Momo, so I'm seconding that!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Srice posted:

Hells

I personally haven't seen this one, but I've always meant to. A pal I trust said that it's a bit flawed but that the interesting visuals made up for it, and that's a good enough reason for me to nominate it.
This looks nifty.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'd recommend Terminator 2: Judgement Day, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on movie

• Locked thread