Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'd suggest Karas It was released in episode format or as two movies and the visuals are pretty over the top and rad. They blend 2D, 3D and live action together for some neat action scenes though the plot is a bit forgettable.

Srice posted:

Galaxy Express 999

Most people probably haven't seen any Galaxy Express 999, since the tv show is hella old and over 100 episodes long. The most the average person probably knows, if anything, is that it's the space train anime. This first movie is a retelling of the series, that replaces the episodic storytelling in favor of a narrative that fits into a movie. It's one of those classics that rarely gets attention, and that's a shame.

I also really like Galaxy Express 999. It is a good watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I haven't watched many anime movies but one I saw recently and thought was good was Patema Inverted

The whole inverted gravity conceit (basically, there are people living underground who have the opposite gravity, don't think too hard about it) made for some really good animated spectacle. It felt like a classic Ghibli film like Castle in the Sky, although not quite as good. Speaking of Castle in the Sky, the villain is kinda a weak link in Patema since he's a very one-dimensional evil guy in the same way as Musca but without the same presence.

Anyway, this is my review.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If we watch the Galaxy Express 999 movie, we should follow it up with the sequel, which is also pretty good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I haven't actually seen Phoenix 2772 but I did read the manga. Well, Future anyways. Phoenix is basically Osamu Tezuka's lifework which he technically never finished, so it'd be cool to watch the anime movie based off it. It looks and sounds like a pretty interesting movie, which if you've ever read any of Phoenix, should probably be a trip.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Allarion posted:

I haven't actually seen Phoenix 2772 but I did read the manga. Well, Future anyways. Phoenix is basically Osamu Tezuka's lifework which he technically never finished, so it'd be cool to watch the anime movie based off it. It looks and sounds like a pretty interesting movie, which if you've ever read any of Phoenix, should probably be a trip.

Aren't there like four different movies, for each era? I think they have a really good staff behind them, I'd be interested.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

Aren't there like four different movies, for each era? I think they have a really good staff behind them, I'd be interested.

From what I could find out, Phoenix 2772 is its own thing while mixing in a bunch of eras, which is intriguing to say the least. There was also another movie and two OVAs that covered Karma, Space, and Yamato. I only read Future though so dunno about those unfortunately.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Onwards with the list! So for whatever reason, my family picked up a VHS copy of Rail of the Star. Not a bad movie, though it has familiar story beats. It tells the autobiographic tale of Kobayashi Chitose and her family when they lived in North Korea, during WWII. It's a different perspective, and I wouldn't mind hearing second opinions on it since it seems to fly under the radar.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think we should watch Kenya Boy, at some point. It's not a good movie by any means but it's really interesting and it's the kind of movie that makes you wonder why it was made.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was gonna post about Barefoot Gen, but man I don't wanna rewatch Barefoot Gen. Other goons should probably watch it at some point though. I just don't want to rewatch it for the same reasons I don't want to rewatch Grave of the Fireflies.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I love how that boxart makes the bombing of Hiroshima look like an action movie,

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Let's watch Final Fantasy instead! It'll be good silly fun. 8 year old me thought it was cool!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Allarion posted:

Let's watch Final Fantasy instead! It'll be good silly fun. 8 year old me thought it was cool!

I wanted to rent this anime from the Blockbuster, but my parents wouldn't let me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What I'm saying is that I support your choice, 100%.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Urusei Yatsura II: Beautiful Dreamer

Probably the best anything that has ever come out of Rumiko Takahashi's work. Absolutely lovely film directed by Mamuro Oshii of GitS fame. It's also fairly stand alone, so you don't really need to know who all the characters are to get enjoyment from it.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Parallax posted:

Gonna throw out A Thousand and One Nights, Cleopatra, and Belladonna of Sadness. All three are Osamu Tezuka and Eiichi Yamamoto trying to get more "mature" anime into theaters. But by mature I mean more experimental. It still features the more cartoon-y style Tezuka is known for, but there's lots of just weird experimentation going on. For example, Cleopatra starts off with live action actors with their heads drawn over with animation:

To be upfront, I've only seen Cleopatra entirely and it wasn't great, but I think this is the kind of more obscure stuff people should try out. I know the creator of Utena was influenced by Belladonna of Sadness, for one.

Cleopatra: Queen of Sex is extremely epic actually.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namtab posted:

K-on movie

gotta watch the show for that

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what im saying is, whens the fuckin k-on simulwatch

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Be A Man! Samurai School, the live action movie based on the classic anime and manga. Tak Sakaguchi plays Momotaro, a student at the manliest school in Japan, on his journey to be a true man and samurai, along with his friends. It adapts several parts of the manga, while also having an overarching plot involving a rival school and an unmanly students journey to becoming a true man. It is manly and was directed by and stars Tak Sakaguchi, and thus is the best movie ever. It is dumb and over the top, and I love it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

You Are Umasou
it's an all-ages movie about a tyrannosaurus that ends up raising an anklyosaurus. the story is typical, but it's very cute and has unexpectedly good action.

and there are some movies i've had laying around that all seem solid, but i have yet to buckle down and watch. so maybe the thread would be interested in one/some: Princess Arete, The Dagger of Kamui, Fuse: Memoirs of the Hunter Girl, The King of Pigs, Toki no Tabibito, or Chie the Brat

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 15, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

dogsicle posted:

You Are Umasou
it's an all-ages movie about a tyrannosaurus that ends up raising an anklyosaurus. the story is typical, but it's very cute and has unexpectedly good action.

this gets my vote, i wanna watch the adorable dino movie :syoon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That gets bonus points because I've never heard of it and I want to see it too.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
That looks super cute.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TNG posted:

Urusei Yatsura II: Beautiful Dreamer

Probably the best anything that has ever come out of Rumiko Takahashi's work. Absolutely lovely film directed by Mamuro Oshii of GitS fame. It's also fairly stand alone, so you don't really need to know who all the characters are to get enjoyment from it.

Beautiful Dreamer is boring because it is too much in the style of the surreal dreamy type of Lum ep, and not the type where Ataru drools over a girl in a bikini and then gets shocked.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

You Are Umasou

This seems like a good movie to watch sometime before The Good Dinosaur comes out.

Also, I would like to recommend Tokyo Godfathers for those who haven't seen it. It is a Satoshi Kon work, but unlike his other movies, which are mostly psychological thrillers that have more dark and mature tones and themes, this is basically Anime A Christmas Story. Legitimately heartwarming and gutbustingly funny.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I vote Voices of a Distant Star because i don't care what anyone says Shinkoto is cool.

or this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, I've got a list of more poo poo than we could ever possibly watch so I think were good. I'm also gonna add a couple of things as well because it's my thread drat it. Thanks everyone and I'll have the movie of the week thread up hopefully tomorrow.

• Locked thread