Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Congrats to Silly Burrito for winning season 2!

We begin as we must always begin, with the official Calvinball theme song. (Feel free to join in harmonizing on the rum tum tums)

OFFICIAL CALVINBALL FF SONG
Other leagues' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Calvinball is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a GM or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

THE UNCHANGING RULES OF THE CALVINBALL LEAGUE
1. All players must wear a mask.
.......a. No one may question the masks.
2. Every week each player may change one scoring rule, provided that rule has not:
.......a. Already been changed by someone else that week.
.......b. The rule has not already been played in the same way this season. (Not strictly enforced, but if someone notices and mentions that a player keeps "resetting" a favorite rule every other week, actions might be considered. Change it up, keep it fun.
.......c. No rule can overturn or change the week's Calvinball rule.
3. All rules should be declared in this thread using the following format:

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
Week 2: Completions are now worth -3 points!!!

4. All rules must apply to the entire league, no singling people or a team's specific players out.
5. Enforcement of the rules is everyone's responsibility. If something is amiss, mention it in the thread. Be honest, the game is only fun if everyone participates.
6. Mom says no: All rules must be implementable on ESPN, anything that can't be implemented due to software limitations will be declared void due to parental oversight. Seriously, you'll put your eye out and it's been well established that Anubis can't do math.

Slight rule modification from last season on #7
7. For the sake of the GM's sanity, rules should be declared between the last whistle of Monday after Sunday night football and to dusk on Wednesday, when our mothers call us in to take a bath. New rule changes won't take effect until after the previous week (Monday Night Football) is done and ESPN has a chance to put in any scoring changes Tuesday morning. (I noticed last season restricting it to Tuesday and Wednesday was getting cramped. Be sure to declare the week number that you are changing a rule for so people don't get confused.)
8. Everyone must play all of their (valid) starters. ESPN doesn't allow league rosters to change week to week so there will be may be spots left open if those have been turned off by a rule change. Also, all of your rostered players must see the field, so using backup quarterbacks (unless that is literally all that is available and valid) is potentially unacceptable. If a player gets struck by lightning pregame and doesn't see a snap but there was no way for you to know, we will deal with it on the fly as best we can.

THE CALVINBALL
The team with the lowest worst score the week prior is declared to have the Calvinball. If you posses the Calvinball during the rules declaration period you can use it and send player(s) to jail for the week. Example:
"Example posted:
quote:
I HAVE THE CALVINABALL! I HAVE THE CALVINBALL!
Week 3: I hit "Chris" with the Calvinball. Anyone with the first name of Chris goes to jail and has to be benched this week!
The above would require all players with the name "Chris" be benched for week 3. So, Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory are both sitting this week. [b]Do not make these overly broad![b] This is about fun, not sending someone to the waiver wire to research backup punters. You may also use the Calvinball to make an extra rule adjustment about the roster, be sure to declare that it's your Calvinball rule because Calvinball rules do not carry over to the following week.

As with last season, I'll create the league with huge rosters and benches. We are starting the season with your basic QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX(no qb), K, DEF setup until rules start changing it. As always I'm looking for help GMing this chaotic mess. I greatly appreciate the job Fight Club Sandwich did last year and I'd even be willing to go 3 GMs this year since my current work bans the forums, seemingly just to make my fantasy football research more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
FAQ
Q: What the hell is this?
A: The fantasy football equivalent of a game the 80s-90s comic strip characters Calvin and Hobbes would play. Calvin was a free spirit, hating the claustrophobic rules of normal organized sports and competitions. This lead him and Hobbes to create their own game with rules they made up as they went. In a lot of ways, Calvinball has always been played by children the world over.

Q: So, you just change the rules each week?
A: Yes, everyone gets 1 rule change a week that they can use however they want. If they want to make it a 2QB league or they want to suddenly make rushing yards -70 per yard, perfectly acceptable. Rules carry over until someone else changes them in a following week. There's also a special rule every week called the "Calvinball rule" that you can read about in the rules above.

Q: Do you do a normal draft?
A: Our drafts are glorious. Seriously, there is no overstating the wonder of seeing a sudden round 6 run on defenses.

Q: Can I join?
A: If you weren't in it last year post and put your name on the waiting list, it's very likely we will have openings.

Last years players:

Aredna - Confirmed returning
Anubis - Confirmed returning
Fight Club Sandwich - Confirmed returning
gardenald - Confirmed returning
Yoshifan823 - Confirmed returning
Marshmallow Blue - Confirmed returning
Jbz
ffoecaf
asoros

Master Stur
Parmesan Basil
IcePhoenix
Silly Burrito

New Confirmed Players
Cheese
OxySnake
Dandy Kaiser
Fenrir
kalensc
Baldrash
JPrime

Standings
11-2 Aredna - It's a Magical League, Hobbes
9-4 Marshmallow Blue - All QBs are Just Sacked
9-4 Fenrir - The Endzone is Lava
7-6 Baldrash - Building Character
7-6 gardenald - "Y" as in "Y do we care?"
---
6-7 Anubis - A Nauseous Nocturne
6-7 KalenSC - A Philistine on the Sidewalk
5-8 Fight Club Sandwich - Snowgoon House of Horror
5-8 JPrime - The Noodle Incidents
5-8 OxySnake - Hill and Bernard IRL
4-9 old dog child - Flacco Bears
4-9 Yoshifan823 - Mark Sanchez Passes Go Boink

Anubis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 13, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I took over a team (It's a Magical League, Hobbes) mid-season and would love to return.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I'm absolutely back in for this

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I have to cut down on my teams so I'm bowing out. It was a blast though!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Holy poo poo this sounds amazing, Im in.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Put me on the waiting list if there is room. Wanted to give this a try last year and hopefully I will get in this year.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Won't be able to this year but have fun you guys. I sure as hell did.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Parmesan Basil posted:

Same here, was a blast the last two years though, good luck everyone!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I've been dying to get into this since it started, put me on the waiting list, please.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Parmesan Basil posted:

Same, I just don't have a lot of time this year :(

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
New Rule! New Rule!

As the reigning champion, I get the first rule, and I declare that the championship shall henceforth be called the Silly BUrrito SupremelyAweSome CalvInball WinnEr, or S.U.S.I.E. for short. This name can only be changed by the next champion.

And with that, I must lay down my belt, standing undefeated at 1-0. This is a fun and crazy league, but I too pledged to cut down my leagues, and I have to bow out for this year. Good luck to everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzV_YpB5DrQ&t=501s

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I so wanna join this if there's still room.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok, when are people who are already confirmed available for the draft? I think the most obvious days would be 29th, 30th, 5th or 6th. Any of those in the afternoons (CST) would likely work for me so start chiming in with days and afternoon/evening choices. It's usually a really quick draft, even though it's a lot of players. New confirmed people, start sending me email addresses.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Anubis posted:

Ok, when are people who are already confirmed available for the draft? I think the most obvious days would be 29th, 30th, 5th or 6th. Any of those in the afternoons (CST) would likely work for me so start chiming in with days and afternoon/evening choices. It's usually a really quick draft, even though it's a lot of players. New confirmed people, start sending me email addresses.

Any of those works for me as long as we're talking late afternoon/early evening, like after 5 pm eastern, or I could do during the day on the 5th

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

prefer the 30th for the draft

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'll be in Tokyo (UTC+9) so 6pm EST or later I really have to do.

30th I have another draft going on, but I don't mind doing this at the same time.

29th, 5th, 6th all good.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I'm out of town the 29th and 30th, so 5th or 6th are best for me.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If I'm in this league I wouldn't be able to do the 30th or the 6th but I would be available for the 29th/5th

e: just saw the OP :toot:

okay so, Saturdays for me. I have a draft already on the 30th (it's a live draft so it's going to take all day). I could probably do the 6th, but it would need to be after like 7PM ET

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Anubis is there room in this for an old PITRer or are you complete?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm back in! I'm good for Sunday draft ideally, Saturday only if necessary.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

Anubis is there room in this for an old PITRer or are you complete?

We got 4 people who still haven't reported in, officially you're on the waitlist but I'm 90% sure you are going to be in.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Anubis posted:

We got 4 people who still haven't reported in, officially you're on the waitlist but I'm 90% sure you are going to be in.

Sweet.

If I make the cut then I'm ok on Labour Day weekend, the 29th and 30th are almost certain no though since I'll be out of town for a summer family event. Unless it's late on the 30th, like a 9pm EST start, and that's still iffy at best.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 24, 2015

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Can someone link to last year's thread? This sounds amazing and I want to see how it played out, but it's a pain to find it on mobile.

Edit: VVVV Thanks! VVVV

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 24, 2015

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Can someone link to last year's thread? This sounds amazing and I want to see how it played out, but it's a pain to find it on mobile.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653783

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Those scores :stare: I suppose they're the standard scoring * 100 plus weekly adjustments?

Edit: Last year's rules were amazing and also have me scratching my head as to how to potentially draft. Excellent.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 24, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The GoonTier B draft is the 30th at 10 so I now have two drafts that day and don't think I can fit in a third. Have we landed on a draft date and time yet?

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
This thread was glorious last year as a spectator, and If there's a spot, I'd love to get in this year.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I am so pumped after reading last year's thread.

This is gonna be great. Now I just need to find a hilarious mask.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Anubis posted:

Last years players:

Aredna - Confirmed returning
Anubis - Confirmed returning
Fight Club Sandwich - Confirmed returning
gardenald - Confirmed returning
Yoshifan823 - Confirmed returning
Jbz
Marshmallow Blue
ffoecaf
asoros
Master Stur
Parmesan Basil
IcePhoenix
Silly Burrito

Back in for another year!

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 24, 2015

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Oh! Is this the crazy league I did a couple years back? Is there space?

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Noticed JPrime got added to the waitlist and I didn't; I'm assuming my post just got lost in the shuffle.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Had so much fun in this league s1

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Baldrash posted:

Noticed JPrime got added to the waitlist and I didn't; I'm assuming my post just got lost in the shuffle.

Edit nevermind

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok, I've stalled as long as possible. Sorry to the 3 people who haven't checked in yet but I've got to boot you for the wait list since we are down to the wire, which is pretty standard for this league.

Based on stated availability it looks like the draft will be on the 5th. How does 7pm est sound to people? I'll schedule it for that on espn and see who complains. Also SEND ME AND Fight Club Sandwich YOUR drat EMAILS SO I CAN INVITE YOU!

Currently active teams please change your team name to something with your username so I can identify and remove the now defunct teams from ESPN. Currently there's almost no way to identify some of you.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 26, 2015

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Anubis posted:

Currently active teams please change your team name to something with your username so I can identify and remove the now defunct teams from ESPN. Currently there's almost no way to identify some of you.

Haha I had the same problem but then I did some cross referencing from the previous threads. Think we're up to speed now

Aredna - It's a Magical League, Hobbes
Anubis - A Nauseous Nocturne
Fight Club Sandwich - Scientific Progress Goes Bort
gardenald - "Y" as in "Y do we care?" (I think...)
Yoshifan823 - Mark Sanchez Passes Go Boink
Marshmallow Blue - Revenge Raven

OxySnake - The Noodle Implements
VACANT - Name Redacted
VACANT - Get Rid of Slimy Ponders
VACANT - Vigo the Butch
VACANT - Texas Transmogrifiers
VACANT - Grossman Gunslingers

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Confirming my name is correct

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Confirming that I'm "Y" as in "Y do we care?"

e: Are we going to expand the playoffs to 4 teams this year?

e2: Or more? :getin:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

gardenald posted:

Confirming that I'm "Y" as in "Y do we care?"

e: Are we going to expand the playoffs to 4 teams this year?

e2: Or more? :getin:

12 team league, 16 team playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Aredna posted:

12 team league, 16 team playoffs

Week 1: Regular season begins, ends
Week 2: Playoffs begin

• Locked thread