Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Rules stay in place until changed. If I make INTs +999 in week one and no one ever changes it - then it's +999 forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Aredna posted:

Rules stay in place until changed. If I make INTs +999 in week one and no one ever changes it - then it's +999 forever.

And suddenly everyone in the league puts in a waiver request for Jay Cutler.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Ok, so the weekly rules are for scoring changes and persist.

The Calvinball rule lasts only for a week and is for player changes.

:eng101:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
When choosing your weekly it can be either a scoring change or a change to the starters. Example rules from last year:

* All teams MUST start 2 QBs
* Increase available flex spots by 1
* All points are negative
* Lucky 7s - all yards are 7 points / yard

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

JPrime posted:

Do the weekly rule changes persist throughout the season? Or does scoring revert to normal at the beginning of each week?

I think they stay the same until they get changed again.

Also dont forget golf rules! Lowest score wins!

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Aredna posted:

When choosing your weekly it can be either a scoring change or a change to the starters. Example rules from last year:

* All teams MUST start 2 QBs
* Increase available flex spots by 1
* All points are negative
* Lucky 7s - all yards are 7 points / yard

Thanks. to add onto this, the commissioners are really lazy and wont accept any rules that require us to do any math or anything that can't be implemented in ESPN

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Thanks. to add onto this, the commissioners are really lazy and wont accept any rules that require us to do any math or anything that can't be implemented in ESPN

Which ruined more than one rule idea I had last year

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

gardenald posted:

Which ruined more than one rule idea I had last year

Yeah we tried keeping it more open, once upon a time, and it was just too much of a giant pain.

I'll try, after the weekly rules are finalized, to give a little post every week with the roster you are required to fill out. Remember, just because it looks like playing a QB is going to hurt you doesn't mean you get to leave active roster slots open. And all your players need to see at least 1 snap so no picking up the 3rd string QB.

And for those who haven't played before, we keep track of standings by hand because when you change scoring rules it affects all the previous game that have been played. So we always screenshot on Tuesday morning and keep track that way.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Anubis posted:

Yeah we tried keeping it more open, once upon a time, and it was just too much of a giant pain.

I'll try, after the weekly rules are finalized, to give a little post every week with the roster you are required to fill out. Remember, just because it looks like playing a QB is going to hurt you doesn't mean you get to leave active roster slots open. And all your players need to see at least 1 snap so no picking up the 3rd string QB.

And for those who haven't played before, we keep track of standings by hand because when you change scoring rules it affects all the previous game that have been played. So we always screenshot on Tuesday morning and keep track that way.

If I come up with an irritatingly mathy rule (like something modifying the scores after the week is over), but promise to do the work for it, can I make that rule?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
I don't see a link anywhere on the ESPN site for anything drafty...it's just telling me how long til the draft. Am I blind?

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
The draft link doesn't go live until an hour before. Give it 15 minutes.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm glancing at the 2014 rosters just to see what everyone had ended up with. I notice that tons of roster spots are left empty on each team, so just to clarify we can max out our rosters and then bench as many as desired so long as we fulfill the positions listed in: "We are starting the season with your basic QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX(no qb), K, DEF setup until rules start changing it." yea?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

kalensc posted:

I'm glancing at the 2014 rosters just to see what everyone had ended up with. I notice that tons of roster spots are left empty on each team, so just to clarify we can max out our rosters and then bench as many as desired so long as we fulfill the positions listed in: "We are starting the season with your basic QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX(no qb), K, DEF setup until rules start changing it." yea?

yes rules and rosters will start at ESPN standard but they won't stay like that for very long. still, for week 1 we'll likely start with a lot of dudes on the bench

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!
The End Zone is Lava
Week 1: All Touchdowns are worth -999 points.

e: VVV I like that one!

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 6, 2015

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

New Rule!!! New Rule!!!

Stop Picking on the Kicking Team!

They moved the PATs back and still only give them one point, that's wrong!

Week 1: All PATs and Field goals no matter the distance are worth 15 points for the added distance on PATs!

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 6, 2015

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
NEW RULE!!! NEW RULE!!!
Go away Moe!

TEs are just big bullies. I'm removing the TE slot.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Anubis posted:

NEW RULE!!! NEW RULE!!!
Go away Moe!

TEs are just big bullies. I'm removing the TE slot.

:laffo:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know that was a thing that one could do. can that be done with any position?

(Were you the guy who had Gronk? haha)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 6, 2015

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
New Rule!
This is my home, it's safe here.

Week 1: Safeties, being the most awesome thing, are worth 77 points.

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

Lazy Sunday.

Week 1: Stop running around and enjoy your Sunday. Rushing yards are worth zero points.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I just used the "Optimized Lineup" @ ESPN.

It bumped me from .3% chance to win, to 25% and it did this by benching drat near everyone.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

OxySnake posted:

I just used the "Optimized Lineup" @ ESPN.

It bumped me from .3% chance to win, to 25% and it did this by benching drat near everyone.

Haha, you should see what it's done to my lineup. It's amazing when a fantasy app BENCHES AARON RODGERS :allears: With TD's worth -999 he's literally the least valuable player on my team :laffo:

e: This is why I drafted Mariota and Carr

e2: VVVV drat, and Sexy Rexy just had to go and get cut :smith:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 6, 2015

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

gently caress it, I'm going deep!

All yards in the air (passing and receiving) are worth 8 points per yard

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't even know that was a thing that one could do. can that be done with any position?

(Were you the guy who had Gronk? haha)

Yep, and you can turn positions on as well. That's why the espn roster has 2 QB slots, 4RB slots, ect even though we start with the standard 1QB/2RB/2WR/1Flex/1TE/1Def/1K. ESPN won't let me adjust the official roster slots mid season, so we make the league with a ton of slots and then everyone just leaves slots empty as needed.

I mean someone is going to have to turn on punters and head coaches before they can be used. Remember that you can only add 1 or subtract 1 to a roster spot though. And you can't counteract (though you can pile on) to another players rule for the same week. So, for this week you couldn't try to use your rule to turn on a TE slot because I already turned one off this week. However if someone turned on the 3rd RB slot someone else could also turn on the 4th RB slot in the same week.

Understand?

Anubis fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 6, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

WHY IS M6 KICKER SO SPECIAL????

NEW RULE NEE TULR

CONPLETIONS ARE WORTH -359

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

Never Forget

All misses of the twin towers are worth 911 points.

(Missed kicks are 911 points)

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

Pumped Up Kicks

It's not commonly known, but kickers are actually the most selfish players in the game, and love getting all the glory for themselves.

For each FG attempted, you get 200 points, but for each PAT attempted, you lose 100. Because you're terrible, you selfish kicker you.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
new rule! New rule
Defense wins championships!

All defensive scoring is 999.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Anubis posted:

Understand?

Yup! I didn't realize just how much was possible. I'll probably learn more as we go along :)

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marshmallow Blue posted:

new rule! New rule
Defense wins championships!

All defensive scoring is 999.

Touchdowns were already set this week as were safeties, so those aren't getting set to this. I set Sacks, INTs, Fumbles recovered, forced fumbles and blocked PAT/FGs along with all the points and yards (everybody wins?) to 999 but am leaving off stuffs, tackles, return/kickoff yards, and passes defended under the guise that they weren't currently active when you made the rule (and to try and keep a little leash on this for the first week, since that's a pretty extensive rule change). Fair enough?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Man I knew I should've gone with 85 instead of 8 for my passing yards rule

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

gardenald posted:

Man I knew I should've gone with 85 instead of 8 for my passing yards rule

Agreed, my 15 point PAT and FGs are going to be a drop in the bucket this week.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
999 points per sack.. with the Texans defense. :getin:

(And JJ Watt will score a TD for every sack leaving me with 0 net points)

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Wait does that mean if our QB gets sacked we get 999 point?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Anubis posted:

Touchdowns were already set this week as were safeties, so those aren't getting set to this. I set Sacks, INTs, Fumbles recovered, forced fumbles and blocked PAT/FGs along with all the points and yards (everybody wins?) to 999 but am leaving off stuffs, tackles, return/kickoff yards, and passes defended under the guise that they weren't currently active when you made the rule (and to try and keep a little leash on this for the first week, since that's a pretty extensive rule change). Fair enough?

Ok, no problem. If making it 75 pts would be more reasonable I'm fine with that too.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

OxySnake posted:

Wait does that mean if our QB gets sacked we get 999 point?

No, if your defense gets a sack you get 999 points.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

Shootout

HC Scoring is 500 points per point scored.

e: whoops, HC slot is closed so this rule doesn't matter.....yet

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 7, 2015

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Calvin ball ... Where the rules are made up, and the points dont matter.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

Shootout

HC Scoring is 500 points per point scored.

e: whoops, HC slot is closed so this rule doesn't matter.....yet

Yeah, but the rule still sticks for the future right? So you can enable HC next week and welp...

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
So if I enable coaching now, that would make FCS' rule be useful this week yea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

kalensc posted:

So if I enable coaching now, that would make FCS' rule be useful this week yea?

Yep! FCS' rule is in effect, it's just there are no HC spots to use, and you can open up the HC spot with a rule change

• Locked thread