Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I took over a team (It's a Magical League, Hobbes) mid-season and would love to return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'll be in Tokyo (UTC+9) so 6pm EST or later I really have to do.

30th I have another draft going on, but I don't mind doing this at the same time.

29th, 5th, 6th all good.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Confirming my name is correct

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

gardenald posted:

Confirming that I'm "Y" as in "Y do we care?"

e: Are we going to expand the playoffs to 4 teams this year?

e2: Or more? :getin:

12 team league, 16 team playoffs

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
We should if we don't!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Rules stay in place until changed. If I make INTs +999 in week one and no one ever changes it - then it's +999 forever.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
When choosing your weekly it can be either a scoring change or a change to the starters. Example rules from last year:

* All teams MUST start 2 QBs
* Increase available flex spots by 1
* All points are negative
* Lucky 7s - all yards are 7 points / yard

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
NEW RULE! NEW RULE!

Never Forget

All misses of the twin towers are worth 911 points.

(Missed kicks are 911 points)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Between Mike Evans not starting and me somehow forgetting to save my lineup when I went to remove the flex spot... It looks like I'll actually start the correct number of players this week.

Now we need to get like 35 points from the Falcons this week.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Marshmallow Blue posted:

New rule new rule!
Its about the journey, not the destination!

Offensive TDs are now 0 pts (def TDs are still -999).

New rule new rule!
We're taking the scenic route

Flying will cause us to miss all of the beautiful scenery along the way. As punishment you're going to lose one pie per yard taken through the air.

Passing and Receiving Yards are worth -3.14 points per yard.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
New Rule, New Rule!
Get off my lawn yard!!!

All Yards are worth 0 points

Passing Yards (PY)
Receiving Yards (REY)
Punt Yards (PTY)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
That's the beauty of this league.

But I think everything is updated except yards to 0 and QB-INTs to -10

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I lost either way this week so it won't matter, but curious for future weeks. Since I'm living in Japan timezones make it a bit tough to check at the last minute changes to Out for day games.

If a player has status changed to Out after say 9am EST (10pm here, 11pm after time change) for the noon or afternoon games, would anyone be opposed to me putting in another starter if I have one available for a later game?

In my main league I normally e-mail the commish ahead of time and say something like "hey, player A is potentially out, if they get pulled can you swap in player B from the bench?"

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
New Rule! New Rule!

Go play in the yard!

All yards are worth Q, where Q is the last 2 digits of the ID of the post after the post after this one!

Passing Yards
Rushing Yards
Receiving Yards
Punting Yards

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

JPrime posted:

how does that work, exactly? if I have Danny Woodhead on my team he gets 500 if the Chargers win, or loses 500 if they lose, in addition to all the other categories?

It's a Head Coach scoring category.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ooooo! Interesting! That certain changes things for several players.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

gardenald posted:

New Rule! New Rule

I'm open, I'm open, I'm... poo poo

Open up a wide receiver slot

I have the Calvinball!

Early Bedtime

It's a school night! Nobody can play anyone from the Thursday or Monday night games, Sunday is okay because Monday is a holiday. No Colts, Texans, Steelers, or Chargers.

e: The last two digits of this post are 23

Did this not make it so it is 2 WR slots?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Sadly he was still Q and there was no update he would be out again until an hour before kickoff.... well after my bedtime. But I didn't post anything ahead of time so I'll take my penalty.

Snapcounts for week 5 aren't up yet though and you can bet I'll be following up on a one Mr. Steven Clark. I know he's a punter, but if you check the stats you'll see that Marquette King had 4 punts for Oakland this week. I don't think starting a backup punter, who saw no snaps in weeks 1-4 and isn't even listed on your fancy snapcount site, is going to get you off the hook given the abundance of punters on the waiver wire.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
New Rule! New Rule!

It's opposite day! All points are swapped - positive become negative and negative become positive!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Fenrir posted:

Yeah that's what I was going to ask. Really the negative thing sounds a lot like the golf score thing, which was only allowed as a calvinball rule.

I'm gonna wait and see what the commissioners say before I make a rule for this week.

My idea was that it was all flipped first (which is why I rushed to do it right away) and the you call can change what you want.

The difference from the golf thing is that it's still highest score wins! Which means all of the other rule changes can make the week quite interesting.

The main reason the other rule wasn't allowed was because it wasn't implementable on ESPN. This very easily is - in much the same way as the limits to all scores being between +/- 10.

Anyways, if the commish rules it no good I'll find something else for the week.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
This league is FA most of the time and there are startable players for every position on waiver wire. Sucks when you have to drop players you want to keep - but that's kind of how this league goes!

e: You can very easily make a legal team via the waiver!

Aredna fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 16, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
There are like 10 legal FA HC on the waiver right now. And a ton of RB/WR/TE. You just have to drop someone else from your team to make make the flex work.

I mean I guess you wanted to use the Saints HC, but you can just drop the Packers HC or some other position to make it work.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Looks like Matt Darr is FA for now and Brad Nortman should come off of waivers on Sat which should both start.

I also just dropped Spencer Lanning who may or may not, but you'd have to do some research on him to see if he'll play.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Each rule can only be changed once for a week, so for that one no. But you can try to put it back in next week if you want.

New Rule! New Rule!

It's important to keep your options open

Activate a Flex spot!

Aredna fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 21, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Punters still get the W/L points because that was posts first, right?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Inspired by a few rules this week:

e: I just realized there was an all-QB scoring rule alreaady
New Rule! New Rule!
QBs are ball hogs and ball hogs SUCK
Week 8 or Week 800!

Passing attempts are worth 800

New Rule! New Rule!
WRs can't have all the fun!
Week 8 or Week 800!

Punting yards are worth 800!

Aredna fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
My rule.... may have been a HUGE mistake given the Calvinball rule.

Unless I'm missing someone... there are 0 QBs on waiver right now I can pick up to fill in my 2nd spot and reasonably expect to touch the ball. For now I've put in Mettenberger on the off chance that Mariota misses again.

If someone has a suggested player I'm all ears!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Yoshifan823 posted:

I have suggested a player for you, and for the low low cost of Martavis Bryant and Bort Bort.

It's the thought that counts I suppose, but I think I'll take my chances of a penalty over giving them up for Cousins!

Aredna posted:

New Rule! New Rule!
WRs can't have all the fun!
Week 8 or Week 800!

Punting yards are worth 800!

Updating my rule... I realized I was trying to change QB scoring after it had already been changed this week!

Aredna fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 29, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
At least the guy you'll likely lose to has a chance to be our first person to break a million this year!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

JPrime posted:

New Rule!
I can't count that high.

Reset punter scores to normal.

What exactly is normal?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
New rule! New rule!
These scores are too drat high

All offensive attempts (passing, receiving, rushing, kicking) are worth -999 points each!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Oops, I had in mind targets for that as the ball is going their way and they are attempting to catch it. Forgot that it's named different.

Also, this would be an amazing week for the Calvinball person to make it lowest score wins. After we've got enough scoring it that it's impossible to have massively negative points.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
My understanding was that we needed a reasonable number of players available. If for some reason we were only starting like 5 players one week then it would probably be OK to take out more teams. In the past ~4ish teams + bye weeks has not really caused major issues, but it certainly could.

People should also remember that the Calvinball rule can be more creative than just picking teams out.

I would love both our new rules and the calvinball to be more than pick one stat and max it every week. Keeps things more interesting

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I vote that next year if someone fails to attempt to set their lineup they don't get the fun of the Calvinball the following week.

I'd also like to see us get a bit stricter on rule changes somehow was well. Perhaps more limiting on how much you can change at a time. We seem to just go to an extreme on one number this year and focus on that. While it's fun sometimes it gets a bit stale.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 10, 2015

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
In light of making rules more interesting, here's mine for the week. I'm more than happy to do all of the work around what it should be set to and will watch the thread to keep up.

New Rule! New Rule!
Math is fun! Uncertainty is better!

Q = PostID of the CalvinBall post rule, or the penultimate rule change of the week should there be no Calvinball Rule.

If the Calvinball Rule is the penultimate rule change of the week, then all final calculations below have their signs flipped!

X = 1 + finaldigit of Q
Y = 1 + penultimate digit of Q
Z = 1 + antepenultimate of Q
S = 1 if X is odd, -1 if X is even

Rushing Yards = Z ^ (Y/X) * S
Receiving Yards = Z ^ (X/Y) * -S
Passing Yards = Sqrt(abs(RuYd * RcvYd)) * S

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

old dog child posted:

New Rule! New Rule!

Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice!

The solutions to "Rushing Yards", "Receiving Yards", and "Passing Yards" each must equal 1

Gonna let the commishes weigh in, but pretty sure you can't changed anyone else's rules :)

Although there are many situations where the numbers are going to work out to be only 1 and -1!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I can't wait to see the Calvinball rule - we very well may have anything from max negative to max positive scores to just straight up normal scores for yardage.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
We're getting close to the end for rule changes! As soon as time is called for submitting rules (or we hit say midnight CST) I'll update what yards will be.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Based on kalen's post of being away from the computer all weekend, I assume that's a yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Given the lack of time remaining, I just looked and the yards would be based on PostID ending in 2084.

Rushing = 1
Receiving = -1
Passing = 1

I've got a spergsheet set up to type in the post ID should we get a new rule or a Calvinball rule.

E: Sorry if you saw it before, I screwed up the formula... but it's all set now!

Aredna fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread