Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

my dad posted:

I love the new thread title. :allears:

emptyquoting this :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Saw the thread title. Couldn't be more pleased.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Haha outstanding.

It looks like killing the Eldar won, which is almost a shame if only because I want to see Farseer Taldeer's response to the Tau's victory march across all the other factions.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Haha outstanding.

It looks like killing the Eldar won, which is almost a shame if only because I want to see Farseer Taldeer's response to the Tau's victory march across all the other factions.

Although I prefer strategic arguments, this may be the best argument I have seen to not attack the Eldar.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
She doesn't have to die at the end. She could be captured and ransomed back to the Eldar.

Image21
Feb 15, 2012
What exactly do Kroot get from eating eldar anyway?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
They begin to take on physical aspects of a creature, as well as cultural aspects if they are sentient species. Kroot who eat a lot of Eldar will probably become quite cunning, and more apt to rely on stealth and deception in their combat tactics. Someone more knowledgeable in WH40K and probably provide proper examples, but that's my understand.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
In practice in-game, all eating does for Kroot is increase their maximum health - which benefits ALL current and future Kroot Carnivore squads.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BlazetheInferno posted:

In practice in-game, all eating does for Kroot is increase their maximum health - which benefits ALL current and future Kroot Carnivore squads.

whoa. i thought it just benefited that particular Kroot squad and always regarded that ability as more of a curiosity than anything actively useful. that's amazing!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Sally posted:

Someone more knowledgeable in WH40K and probably provide proper examples, but that's my understand.

The big example is Orks. Kroot were essentially a pre-tech species until Orks invaded their world, and from eating orks, especially ork mekboys, they inherited the orks' inborn knowledge of technology and military tactics. The Old Ones hard-coded that knowledge into the orks' genetic structure when they created the species, and kroot absorbed all of that. It's how the kroot ended up defeating the orks then rapidly developing technology and ultimately getting into space themselves.

In the fluff the kroot have tried eating tyranids, necrons, chaos worshipers, and astartes, but for various reasons all of them went horribly horribly wrong and the shapers pronounced them unsafe to eat. In particular this has left the kroot absolutely god drat terrified of tyranids, especially genestealers. While this is a logical response by any measure, it does in the fluff make kroot auxiliaries less than reliable when the tau are up against the bugs.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

They begin to take on physical aspects of a creature, as well as cultural aspects if they are sentient species. Kroot who eat a lot of Eldar will probably become quite cunning, and more apt to rely on stealth and deception in their combat tactics. Someone more knowledgeable in WH40K and probably provide proper examples, but that's my understand.

Kroot are one of the stranger member species of the Tau Empire. For a long time after meeting the Kroot, the Tau attempted to "socialize" the "barbaric" practice of eating fallen foes after battle out of the Kroot as a society, up until some talented Earth caste scientists discovered that Shaping was more than just a weird kind of shamanism.

Kroot shaping can be pretty freaking drastic, turns out. Eating Eldar doesn't just make them more inclined to stealth, it gave one pack of Kroot the psychic ability to create complex illusions. The last we ever knew of that particular group of Kroot was a space marine chapter requesting that a cleansing be performed on their home planet. Eating Orks can provide Kroot with more pronounced muscle mass, eating enough flying predators can grant them wings, and in general the more a Kroot pack fights against a particular foe the more they come to resemble and take from that foe, adapting to match their opponent's strengths. They have been known to even adopt cultural aspects of species they eat. A Kroot pack that has fought a lot of Dark Eldar is not something you want to trifle with.

Kroot organize their society into Kindreds led by Shapers, who taste the flesh of fallen enemies and direct how the other Kroot should digest them properly, guiding their development. They have pretty discerning tastes; they can detect Genestealers by taste, even ones that still look entirely human. Kindreds tend to look radically different from one another, but the Kroot as a whole pursue this diversity deliberately. This is their main reason for hiring out as mercenaries, aside from really, really enjoying being paid. Like, really enjoying. It's weird.

Shaping is not an exact science and can go awry, which is why the position of Shaper is considered so important. Kroot have formed certain sub-species over time, such as the Kroot Hounds and the Krootox. These beings, while useful to the Kroot, actually represent failures to them. They have either lost their sentience or else have become "locked", through a process Kroot can't explain in words to most other species, to their one singular path and are unable to adapt much beyond it or escape it. Kroot using them in combat is part kinship, part caring for their less fortunate. The Kroot homeworld of Pech is rife with these distant evolutionary branch points and ancestors, a few of which are even revered as direct ancestors - Kroot seem to know they're evolved from birds and have a deep respect for a species called Kroothawks. Other species feed on other Kroot, which is a cultural taboo, and are shunned.

Occasionally, a large group of Shapers will come together and discuss problematic species and whether they should be consumed. There are three known species and cultural groups that the Kroot, as a whole, have been forbidden to adapt from: The Tyranids, who have been declared inedible (a really dire curse/horrific notion) due to their own ways of genetic manipulation and how they use it; Chaos-tainted and Chaos-worshipping Humans, to avoid picking up cultural tendencies like "worship eldritch beings from the hell dimensions that will consume our planet in a fiery orgy of destruction," although this one can be hard to enforce because cultists disguise themselves; And the Tau, who are considered extremely valuable allies deserving of respect equal to Kroot for their role in saving the Kroot homeworld from Ork invasion and, presumably, to not endanger the fat lucrative deal Kroot have with them.

Kroot actually have tried to eat Necron living metal, since apparently that is close enough to living material to count. The one known attempt ended with the living metal transforming into nanoscopic scarab-viruses that ate the Kroot alive from within, creating a plague that spread across an entire planet. Apparently that's not enough to put Necrons on the eating banlist, but obviously not every Kindred will risk it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For note Kroot have children through back rubs. The male Kroot gives the female one a nice back-rub and then she's pregnant. Also the big problem with eating Tyranids for Kroot is that one of the base genetic components of Tyranids is work for the Hive Mind, so when a Kroot eats enough Tyranid they also work for the Hive Mind. Also unlike Tyranids Kroot have no control over what genetic/cultural stuff they pick up when devouring, so instead they just don't eat certain things as mentioned.

For a bit of Old One facts it's entirely possible Orks and Kroot both come from the same Old One created race, the Krorks.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lord_Magmar posted:

the Krorks.

Because shortening names is a thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Encylopaedia Kroot-anica

Ha, that's awesome lore and kind of highlights the problems present in Dawn of War. See, while facing the Necron, there definitely were times I was able to "consume" some fallen enemies. The only problem was, since the only things that were dying were Tau, Kroot, and Necron, it makes you wonder what they were eating. Are the Kroot going to die in a horrible nano-scarab plague? Have they shattered deep-seated cultural taboos by consuming Kroot and/or Tau? Makes you wonder

What happens on Kronus stays on Kronus

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

On silly things in Dawn of War taking over the Necron stronghold in Soulstorm gave you the chance to have your Honour Guard resurrect at the end of the mission if they'd died. So beating the Necrons apparently makes you Necron who knew.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

On silly things in Dawn of War taking over the Necron stronghold in Soulstorm gave you the chance to have your Honour Guard resurrect at the end of the mission if they'd died. So beating the Necrons apparently makes you Necron who knew.

If you mouse over that buff it's stated to be an emergency teleport system that can evac your units when they're critically wounded/damaged.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Eimi posted:

Yeah, it's pretty infuriating. Also to expand on who Ollanius Pius is, for those who don't know...

So during the Siege of Terra, when Horus, former space marine Primarch and favored son of the Emperor and now vessel of all four Chaos gods, has pierced the sanctum of the Emperor. Sanguinius, the first and best Primarch, who actually had angel wings and just before had battled an army of Bloodthirsters (Khorne's greater daemons) by himself, swooped in to defend the Emperor, but Horus, to everyone's shock, cut down Sanguinius. Everyone is stunned, the Emperor doesn't believe one of his sons would kill the other, the Custodes and Space Marines around him too shocked to act. Ollanius was just a simple Guardsmen, Flak Jacket and Lazgun and all, and he steps between Horus and the Emperor. Just one tiny insignificant human, trying to defend the Emperor from a 10 foot tall literal god of war. Horus kills him with a glance. But it was that simple sacrifice that lifts the haze from the Emperor, and he sees that Horus is beyond redemption, laying a galactic can of rear end whoopin til he eventually removes Horus from existence. (Big E completely destroys Horus's soul which is why he cannot be brought back by any means)

Ollanius showed that in the end for all the badass super humans, it was just the little tiny normal guy who made the difference in the end. An act of colossal bravery to step into what he knew was his death, but doing it anyway. He's just such an amazing character. GW in their colossal idiocy, retconned all of this. First he's Custodes, then a Space Marine in Terminator armor, and then something stupid called a Perpetual that is really loving dumb. To me he shall always be a Guardsmen with balls bigger than Terra. :patriot:

The Sanguinius against an army thing is another retcon, originally it was Sangie against one Bloodthirster (apparently killing with bare hands something that had 10s across the board was enough to be awesome back in the day).

The Ollanius changes were idiotic. If anything, this is the perfect thing for the imperial religion to use (or make up) to inspire the masses, sort of a 40k twist of the meek will inherit the world: sure the lowly people don't mean anything by themselves but remember that you too can help someone actually important~ some day :catholic:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

Riight, feel free to ignore me and let's go murder Eldar which is totally what I've been screaming since like update 2.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Eldar have mocked the greater good for the last time, show them their empire is long gone and they must let new ways of thinking rule the Galaxy.

Poil posted:

Kill the eldar, they are meddling morons and like any elves or elf wannabes they need a big boot to the face.

Yeah, that works for me.

Lukas Alexander is attempting to take the Heartland.

Defense there took longer than usual, but considering the size of the Heartland, it's to be expected.

A small Drone force attacked the north, while Kroot, supported by Fire Warriors, went to the north-east.

It took a little while, but the Guardsmen were nothing for the Drones to shred through.

Note that the Kroot had little trouble as well.

Reports say the Kroot took down their base first. Well done!

Hmm, we didn't actually need to hold for a turn to build requisition. We had enough to fully reinforce my Honour Guard!
You have little else for a Forward Base, Shas'o. Holding for a turn would have allowed you to be better prepared.
We'll chance it, though I suspect it won't be much of a risk here.

All is prepared.
Excellent.

Exarch Rakanis, take your Warp Spiders to their positions and then return to the Aspect Shrine.
We are on our way.

You have doubts, Harlequin?

I trust in your vision, Taldeer of Ulthwé, but to stand surrounded by primitives makes me uneasy.
I understand your distaste--

--but Eldar rely on speed and stealth.

We are not made for entrenched positions.

The Orkz, however, make for excellent tools.

They will keep the supply roads closed, and keep our true enemies weak.
And if these attackers defeat the Orkz?

I do not doubt they will overcome our cat's paw, but it will cost them.

And in their weakened state, they will face the Wailing Doom itself.

The Seer Council has named the Young King.

Exarch Rakanis of the Warp Spider shrine shall sacrifice himself to awaken our most powerful warrior--

--the Avatar of Khaine!

None shall escape my wrath!

Shas'o, we have located an Eldar Forward Outpost to the east, along with one of their seers.

Aun'el has often spoken of these seers. Perhaps we can convince them of the value of the Greater Good--unless it's Taldeer, in which case she'll likely shoot us on sight.

You've made a mistake in coming here, Young Ones!
Really? You're still going to play the arrogant card? Someone kill them, please.

I'll say this for the Eldar, they attack quicker and more often than the Necron did.

They taste pretty good as well.

Oi, boyz, lookit dis! Sum of dem grey-skinz!
Da Boss Hugemungus was roight to leave Gorgutz behind. We'ze gonna have a roight proppa Waaagh! roight 'ere.

The Eldar keep teleporting in as quickly as we can cut them down!

Waaaagh!!
Waaaagh!!
Waaaagh!!

Shas'o, we've triangulated the Orkz position. They're directly north of us upon a ridge. They're blocking our supply routes--Aun'el can't send us additional Honour Guard.
Good move, Taldeer, very clever.

Oi, we should release da Squiggoth's on dem!
Not a chance, yer git! They ain't been trained yet, and I ain't 'bout ter scrape yer sorry hide offa dem Squiggoth's feet whens you get stomphed.
They've also left their comm channels open and completely unencrypted. They have a couple of untrained Squiggoths in a pen below the ridge their base is on. If we sneak in and release them, they'll certainly distract the Orkz for a while.

Nice find. For now, we're going to move on this Forward Base of the Eldar's. Let's see what Taldeer has waiting for us.

Shas'o, they're attempting to teleport in Support Turrets.

Take out the Webway Gates before they fully materialize!

Too easy.

They approach, Taldeer.
Fall back. Let them fight amongst themselves.

The Forward Base is porting away, Shas'o.

They're probably consolidating their forces. Take out any Webway Gates you see!

Hope you enjoy your new friends, Shas'o.

Shas'o, we have company and it's not the Eldar.

Aha! This is where the battle is!

Go forth, my legions, and destroy! We will do what is necessary while that fool Eliphas sits around twiddling his thumbs! We must act! Go, kill, slay, REND!!!!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!
For Chaos!
We shall drink their blood!

Oh. It's these guys. Well, we were going to run into them sooner or later. How Taldeer managed to get them AND the Orkz over here, I'll never know.

Move up. Clear out any remaining Eldar tech and eliminate the Chaos forces. I want this strategic point for the Tau Empire.

Eh heh heh heh. Heh heh. Ahaha. AH HA. AHAHAHAHAAAA!

That's a Cultist on the left. Weak infantry, more or less a meat shield--and that's exactly what the Chaos Forces use them as. They can be upgraded with better weapons to be more dangerous, but frankly, they only ever become a concern if they are upgraded with detection. Even worse, they can be upgraded with stealth capabilities. To the right is a Chaos Raptor. It's the knock-off Chaos version of the Space Marine Raptor. It has jetpacks, is fast, has strong morale-breaking melee, and is effective at disrupting infantry. As long as we can keep them away from the Fire Warriors, they'll never be a problem.

Chaos Space Marines proper. These ones call themselves the Word Bearers, though it sounds like this particular group isn't running with Eliphas anymore. They're pretty much just uglier Space Marines, but they can also be upgraded with stealth capabilities.

Located their base, Shas'o. It's directly west of here.

They have Predator Tanks, so be careful!

Ah, a Chaos Sorcerer leads them. Take it out and these Chaos Forces will likely fall back. They are relatively fragile, but are strong spell-casters, so we mustn't underestimate it.

They have Horror Squads too. These creatures are effective anti-vehicle units, but are relatively slow and fragile. We'll have to watch out, though, as they can deep strike right next to our vehicles.

They're too distracted and disorganized. We can hold this position, Shas'o.

In that case, we'll take the slag deposit from the Eldar. The extra Power will be useful in showing off another Drone Swarm technique.

Command to Forward Base, how goes it?
The Eldar continue to send small raiding parties to probe our defenses. They are growing in strength.

And the Orkz to the east have brought out their best ranged units: Flash Gitz!

Shas'o, alert! They've sent Wraithlords into the base!
Ah, powerful siege walkers. Wraithlords are a force to be reckoned with, especially in a group. We're going to lose that Barracks at the very least. However, now is the perfect opportunity to show off the ability of the Drone Harbinger tanks I've had built.

With a small expense to Power, a Drone Harbinger can produce a battery power Drone. When the battery runs out, the Drone ceases to function, but in the meantime it more or less has the strength, speed, and defense of a standard Drone Squad. Drone Harbingers can set up rally points, so set their rally point amidst the target you want to destroy and set their Drone production to automatic. Voila! Instant (temporary) Drone Swarm! Note: two Harbingers can create a swarm in half the time.

We're overwhelming them, Shas'o.

Yeah, that did it.

No fuss, no muss.

Alright, our base is secure. Here is how our defenses stand: on the western front I lead a small Honour Guard to stem the flow of Chaos soldiers. Two Veteran Stealthsuit teams and two Fire Warrior Bodyguard teams are escorting me.

Just south of our location is our new slag deposit, which has been converted to function as a secondary Cadre Headquarters.

Our primary base is guarded by the Vespid Eldars, Kroot Alphas, and a pair of Drone Harbingers.

On the eastern front, a contingent of Fire Warriors along with some Pathfinder scouts are holding back the Orkz. We have some choices to make: 1) shall we follow the path of Mont'ka again, or do we build a Kauyon Command Post? (Reminder: we can summon Gregory with either Command Post--all we need is to capture a Relic to bring in our favourite Knarloc). 2) Our forces are stretched thin, so we will only able to focus on one target at a time. Do we strike at the Chaos Forces in the west or the Ork Horde in the east?
There is a third, riskier, option. We leave a small detachment at either front to hold off the Orkz and the Chaos Cultists and strike directly at the Eldar, prioritizing the Relic and ending any opposition from Taldeer once and for all.
Ooo, that one does sound fun, but all final decisions shall be made by the War Council.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

We didn't come here for Orkz or Chaos. Strike directly at Taldeer!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Kill the Orkz, then Chaos. So the poor kroot have something to eat, so they are nice and full before going up against the inedible Chaos marines and the very small-portioned Eldar.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Gue'la maniacs on one side, and the Orks on the other... we can't let them run rampant through this area, and we can't afford to have them distract us at a critical moment and let Taldeer escape. The Orks are barbarians, and will be happy to continue throwing themselves at our guns until we're ready to deal with them properly. But with a Sorceror in charge, we can't know what the Chaos forces are planning. Wipe out that Chaos base before it becomes a headache.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Kill the Orks.

It's not stated as much, but it's pretty obvious that this Chaos force here is from the Night Lords - they're in Night Lord colors and if you look closely at their units and buildings you'll see the Night Lord insignia on them. What the gently caress they're doing here aside from getting duped by the Eldar, Star Gods only know.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This mission is Eldars done right. They're smug assholes with many-layered plans for achieving their objectives, always willing to use others as pawns, and just a bit too clever for their own good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As we're dealing with the Eldar base I might as well talk about Khaela Mensha Khaine, the bloody handed Eldar God of War. Specifically why there is an avatar of him on the battlefield.

Back when Slaanesh was born the very first thing it did was slaughter, devour and possibly rape all but three members of the Eldar pantheon. The three who survived the initial massacre did so for different reasons; Cegorach hosed off into the Webway the second he realised things were going very, very, very wrong in the Eldar pantheon, Isha was to remain alive so as to be Slaanesh's bride for all eternity and Khaine was still strong enough to fight back. Whilst fighting back it looked as if Slaanesh would slay Khaine when Khorne rocked up and declared that Khaine was his to destroy, Slaanesh took exception to that and began to fight Khorne. During this fight Khaine was some how shattered, current consensus was when Khorne dropped his weapon Khaine was the closest thing to keep hitting Slaanesh with, and his spirit/shards were separated out to the various craftworlds and aspect shrines, one each just about.

Now actually using those Shards is very much a last resort for the Eldar because every-time they do so they put their own win condition back a small way. Said win condition is to gather the souls of every Eldar after they die to empower a new Eldar god, one born only when the last Eldar dies. Ynnead the Eldar God of Death, who will then charge Slaanesh and hopefully destroy it once and for all, in theory this frees Isha from Slaanesh and allows her to then resurrect all the Eldar, unfortunately she's now locked up with Nurgle and as such the Eldar victory condition will be both a massive win for them and a great defeat. To use a Shard means to permanently sacrifice an Eldar soul that could've gone to powering up Ynnead instead to bring back a God who is for all intents and purposes dead anyway. In fact it's entirely possible that the remaining Eldar don't have enough souls to birth Ynnead and that's why they're trying so hard not to die, at least without a true purpose.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Why is this Kroot immortal?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ask the person who made that mod.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Heres an old CG of the ritual to summon Khaine, it's old fluff so it might have been changed later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMHVBOgD0M
Also why he is called the bloody handed god is because while he is the war god, he is basically the manifestation of murder. The eternally bleeding hand is a reminder to him for murdering the Eldar hero Eldanesh.
The aspect warriors you see the Eldar use all worship diffrent aspects of Khaine. Which is why an exarch sacrifice is needed to summon Khaine: They have dedicated themselves so compleatly to one aspect to Khaine that they can't stop it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Must be someone he ate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Onmi posted:

Why is this Kroot immortal?

Shaper Harbyx survives the Dark Crusade. That is Kroot canon. There are no such universes where the Shaper does not survive. Glory be to the Kroot! Uh, and the Tau as well!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It actually might be the result of a flag that hasn't triggered. In the Eldar Stronghold, right before that Eldar forward base teleports away, it's meant to be indestructible. The Tau have enough sight and range that I was firing on some of the portals but not damaging them. When I triggered the cutscene of the base porting away and the Chaos Marines arriving, suddenly everything was back to normal.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Iretep posted:

Heres an old CG of the ritual to summon Khaine, it's old fluff so it might have been changed later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMHVBOgD0M
Also why he is called the bloody handed god is because while he is the war god, he is basically the manifestation of murder. The eternally bleeding hand is a reminder to him for murdering the Eldar hero Eldanesh.
The aspect warriors you see the Eldar use all worship diffrent aspects of Khaine. Which is why an exarch sacrifice is needed to summon Khaine: They have dedicated themselves so compleatly to one aspect to Khaine that they can't stop it.

This reminds me, I remember reading a short story (fan-fiction, pretty much) a few years ago about the Eldar loving up the summoning ritual and instead of summoning the Avatar of Khaine, they summon the Avatar of Cain (Ciaphas). Cue wacky IDONTWANNADIE hijinks.

I wish I could find and read it again, but no combination of keywords and search engines helped me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Shaper Harbyx survives the Dark Crusade. That is Kroot canon. There are no such universes where the Shaper does not survive. Glory be to the Kroot! Uh, and the Tau as well!

Harbyx lives, and Kais lives no matter how much you gently caress up.

I smell buddy comedy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Does that make Aun'el Da Chief?
Because that is a great mental image for a Tau Ethereal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Does that make Aun'el Da Chief?
Because that is a great mental image for a Tau Ethereal.

So long as he's only 4 days from retirement

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Kauyon and the direct strike on the Eldar. But I insist on freeing the squiggoths as a distraction first.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Kauyon also RELEASE THE SQUIGGOTHS(Attack the orks)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Currently the strongest of the Chaos Gods for obvious reasons Khorne is arguably a nice guy to worship, as long as you don't piss him off with poor offerings such as the blood of the weak and helpless, civilians for example.

Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows, only that it flows.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Depends on which part of the lore you're talking, things have been retconned after all. Like his mage hatred

quote:

Khorne's take on magic
As posted by an Anon some time ago, he perfectly summed up what Khorne's opinion on magic is: gently caress WIZARDS!!!!

Okay, here's what the "gently caress WIZARDS" thing means.

Note that the hate of psykers/wizards/etc is pretty much the exact same and works by the same logic for both Khornates and the SoB/Black Templar/etc. Its a Conan-esque kind of swords and sorcery thing. Khornates hate wizards for trivializing encounters with a single spell and overshadowing fighters. They hate turning what should be a military endeavor into a weird wizard show where people turn into frogs. They hate Slaaneshi for the same reason, they take what should be a wholesome murder fest and make it into something creepy and weird, what with them "discomporting themselves with the dead" and all that. In Realms of Chaos, its entirely possible for a librarian or wizard to go to Khorne. They just refrain from using their powers, and only use their psi/magic (in combat) to resist spells from that point onward.

They are okay with laser beams. They are okay with sniper rifles. They are okay with flaming swords. They are okay with running people over with tanks. They are okay with chemical gas. They are okay with exterminatus. They are okay with holocausts. They are okay with blitzkriegs. They are okay with honorable duels at dawn.

They are not okay with turning people to frogs, mind controlling people, raining glitterdust from the skies to blind everyone, raising armies of zombies to do the killing for you, and so forth. They are not okay with someone pointing their finger and you dropping dead. They are okay with rituals to summon demons. They are okay with navigating the warp without crashing into suns. They are okay with sending astropathic messages. They are okay with chaining wizards up and forcing them to eternally forge magic items on pain of death.

You may consider it hypocritical that Khornates are okay with blatantly unfair TECHNOLOGICAL murder, but not okay with blatantly unfair MIND/MAGICAL murder, but the point, or at least one interpretation, is that wizards/psykers loving cheat. They do. They steal the power of the Warp for their own ends. As long as they stay in line, and do nothing but permit the warrior to enact his craft, fine, let them live, albeit in terror, enslaved by chains of brass until the day they are no longer useful, at which point their skulls can join Khorne's throne.

But stealing the Gods' own fire and using it to do what mortals should do through their own skill and strength is unacceptable. Remember that technology is completely valid to Khorne. Stealth is completely valid to Khorne. Skill is completely valid to Khorne. Cleverness is completely valid to Khorne. The nuclear bomb and other innovations that come after it could be seen to be unfair. But it is a mortal invention. Mortals should give honor to Khorne by murdering each other through the sweat of their brow.

The scientist who devises new ways to kill is a saint. His work can be put to any other use -- enriching human life, ending hunger, fighting diseases, answering great questions. But the scientist who devises new bombs and weapons is, in his own way, a champion of Khorne. He takes his limitless human potential and nobly limits himself to new ways to kill. Whether you kill with a sword or a bomb, you are killing using good old fashioned mortal strength and genius. You aren't stealing warp energy from the gods in the form of a fireball and cravenly calling it your own.

The forger of enchanted weapons, though deserving of slavery and abuse as all wizards are until the day they die, is an ideal symbol. It is fitting that spell energy be subjugated to and entombed within cold steel, just as wizards deserve to be subjugated to warriors until they lie cold and headless in the ground or else burnt to ash. The magic weapon is a symbol of might's superiority to magic.

The jury is still out on whether or not Khorne is okay with magically imbued people.

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! When the Galaxy burns, we will define righteousness!

tl;dr Magic is unmanly, grab a sword and go kill like real men do already.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

To be fair one of the ideas with Khorne is as warfare became more indiscriminate so did he. Depending on what lore you're using Khorne does or doesn't care about where it comes from. Honestly I rather when Khorne is about honourable combat as well as bloodshed, it fits that even people with good intentions can fall to chaos through personal failings. For example a space marine who dedicates themselves to being the greatest combatant in his chapter could very easily fall to a Khorne who cares about martial prowess but would find it harder to fall to a Khorne who cares only about bloodshed.

This is actually one of those things Games Workshop, and often others using their setting seem to miss in my opinion. They have a tendency towards focusing on one thing about a God over everything else, Khorne for example gets way more focus for the kill maim burn rather than the martial prowess and Tzeentch gets way more focus on the plans within plans over the search for knowledge. So on and so forth and it really bugs me that the Chaos Gods and the followers of Chaos could be so much more interesting than they actually are. So I'm against making people and gods only one thing instead of a multitude of things. It's also my issue with the Ultramarines being espoused as the greatest Space Marines who can do no wrong ever. It reduces nuance and makes the universe less interesting. This was kind of why I actually liked the changes to the Necrons in some ways but hated them in others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Actually, come to think of it, Kyras may be a powerful Psyker... but his big huge Khorne moment has him using those powers for nothing more than communication. He's not doing the killing with Psyker-stuff. He's arranged an Exterminatus and dedicating all of it to Khorne. He's getting someone to blow up a PLANET for him... with mortal-made weapons. An entire Sector's worth of deaths, and the Psyker didn't mind-bullet them all to do it.

No wonder Khorne decided to let it slide. Sure he's not the one pulling the trigger... but he's the one who made sure it happened.

• Locked thread