Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Veloxyll posted:

I would've gone for the simpler Macha and Angelos at Tartarus when the Storm arrived.

Since even when it becomes Picard, it's never CAPTAIN Picard.

My memory for WH40K trivia is much better than the one for Trek trivia v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Gregory must be there to see the final victory.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's starting to look as if the thread suffered an Eldar invasion too.
Anyway, Unleash The Gregory Then Point Him At Chaos.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

goatface posted:

We need to see a T-rex eat a magma man.

Green Intern posted:

Gregory must be there to see the final victory.

anilEhilated posted:

It's starting to look as if the thread suffered an Eldar invasion too.
Anyway, Unleash The Gregory Then Point Him At Chaos.

An excellent plan. Heck, Gregory and I can take care of the Chaos Forces pretty much on our own! First, though, we need to make our way up the land bridge to the hill where the Eldar have the Relic.

Resistance has been light, but steady. Thank goodness for this Hammerhead Gunship.

Ahh, the Webway Portals. Through these devices Taldeer is teleporting in Eldar from Craftworld Ulthwé directly. If we can take hold of them, or destroy them, she won't be able to call in reinforcements and we'll be able to eliminate the Eldar presence on Kronus.

Capturing all three critical location points signify our control over them. If we can take all three and hold them for 10 minutes, we win the match. That's no fun, though, so we'll dismantle the Eldar base bit by bit.

The enemy has taken a Webway Gate. Drive them back!!

The Eldar have fortifications set up all along this mountain top.

Their main base is heavily defended, with only three narrow points of entry. We're not going to bother with the other two, though, only the main entrance. Thanks to the Drone Harbingers I can leave them to forever spawn Drones directly into their base to slowly whittle down their defenses and keep them distracted whilst I do other things. The Eldar army is quite literally stalled at this point.

There's some vehicles we haven't really seen before. That's a Falcon Grav Tank. It functions as an anti-infantry weapon and can transport troops around. Not really concerned about those.

Fire Prism Tanks, on the other hand, are a mild concern. They have a skimmer ability that lets them "hop" over terrain, and have a massive prism cannon that can disrupt infantry and absolutely wreck Tau vehicles. Drone Squads don't stand a chance and melt like nothing before them--which is why I prefer to have the Harbinger Drone Swarms, since they're disposable and don't bunch up in the same way. Tau Tanks are also weak to them, so we need to keep as many of our vehicles away from them as possible. Unfortunately, Taldeer knows this and loves spamming these platforms.

That's a Fire Dragon. Excellent anti-vehicle unit, but they are short-ranged and pretty much useless to standard infantry. They do have interesting stabilizer tech, so they recover from being knocked down especially quickly--not that it matters, since when a Tau gun knocks you down you're more or less dead already.

Right now I have my Fire Warrior Bodyguards and Hammerhead Gunship idling by the Webway Gate. The Drone Harbingers are set to spawn right up that ramp, so they provide the vision needed for the Warriors and Gunship to keep firing on anything near that entrance. Namely, the Avatar of Khaine. This set up is more or less automated meaning I can bug out and do whatever I want elsewhere knowing the Eldar can't really counterattack.

Ah, and there's Gregory now. Come, Gregory, I've found a new toy for you!

The Schismatic Chaos Cult also attempted to defend their base with mines. Like the Orkz, they aren't much threat.

Light defenses. Okay, Gregory, here's the plan: we're just gonna run past all of the Chaos buildings, turrets, and units in order to find the Chaos Sorcerer. When you find that Sorcerer, eat him. That's all there is to it.

Aaaahh, my lord, we have trouble!

W-what is that? A dinosaur? Kill it! Why aren't we killing it? Shoot more bullets at it!

Good boy, Gregory. Ignore the turrets, eat the sorcerer.
Did you just say--WHY?!?! DON'T EAT THE SORCERER, GREGORY!!

Oh god, oh god, oh god, it's eating me, IT'S EATING ME!
You know what, don't actually eat it, Gregory. It's probably tainted and the Kroot tell me they're forbidden to actually eat Chaos Forces. Go on and spit it out now. We'll get you some proper food at the Eldar base.

That's a good boy! Who's a good boy? You are!

Without the Sorcerer to lead them, the base collapses and the Chaos Forces retreat. Easy.

Hmm, with the western road cleared, Mission Group Theta has made contact with the cadre. Excellent work, O'Kais. Make sure you give Gregory my thanks as well. Tell him he's a good boy.
Of course. Attention Tau Forces, we have defeated the Chaos Cultists and are sending in reinforcements. Bring the Gunships to the front lines and prepare to move on to the Eldar base.

Sure thing.

Our enemy has us pinned down.
Farseer, what shall we do?
Keep firing, damnit! I will not lose to this arrogant rear end in a top hat.
Uh, perhaps you should not be flinging such stones, Farseer. Glass houses, and all that.
Get out there before I shoot you myself.
Of course.

Heads up, Shas'o. We have captured three new strategic points in the area around the former Chaos base. Not that we need any more requisition, but I believe it is now impossible for us to run low on resources.

Excellent. Here's my current attack force, for the record: two Harbingers (you can spot their lights in the fog) are spawning disposable drones into the base to absorb enemy fire, my Fire Warrior Bodyguards (along with Aun'el's) fire safely from a distance, flanked by the two Hammerhead Gunships who joined us. All other forces I'm holding back because they would otherwise needlessly die. As it stands, the only unit we've been losing are the temporary Harbinger Drones, of which we have an endless supply thanks to the three slag deposits we own.

The Drones aren't getting very far, though, since the Eldar have really ramped up production of Fire Prism weapons. Let's focus fire on the Avatar and bring it down.
With pleasure.

How could this happen? None have beaten me until now--

Uh, Farseer?

Farseer?
I know! I saw! Did you think I didn't see that?

With the Avatar down, it's easy work to dismantle the outer defenses. Now I move the Fire Warriors up to flank the edges of the ramp so that the Hammerheads can slowly whittle down unit production facilities. As ever, the stream of Harbinger Drones is constant.

They're sending out Seer Councils now. Commander support infantry. The are really powerful, effective against all types of units, and can detect infiltration. Against a pair of Hammerhead Gunships, they are dust!

Hmm. I thought they Eldar tried real hard to not die. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Alright, we've brought down enough of their defenses, it's time to let Gregory loose.
Hooray!

I feel it important to point out that the Krootox are doing an equally admirable job at cleaning up this position.

That's a lot of dead Eldar. Taldeer! Hey, Taldeer! You could have left! Where did she go?

Well, that takes care of the main base. Someone take a picture of Gregory next to the Eldar banner!
ACTIVATING DRONE CAMERA. SMILE. *click*
Aww, slap a filter on that and post it to my Instagram. #heytaldeer #gregory #taurule

Tau infantry starting clean up of the defenses around the other Webway Gates.

Haha, man, does Taldeer think that will stop us?

Kroot Hounds have secured a second Webway Gate.

Gregory and I have the third.
Make sure you don't capture the points. Destroy every last Eldar building and unit. It's funnier that way.
As you wish, O'Kais.
Haha, okay, are you ready? Get a load of this cutscene:

Haha, what's that? Is Gregory fighting a magma man? But didn't we already kill the Avatar? I tell you, this cutscene is some Eldar revisionist bullshit.

I mean, this part is more or less true. Aun'el is going to call down Air Caste strikes on the Webway Gates.

The Webway is closed to us now. We are trapped on this world.
Boooo, I already defeated you and your Harlequin!

The Avatar of Khaine has fallen.
That already happened too, and as much as it pains me to say, Hammerhead rail cannonfire did it, not Gregory. Okay, so maybe I prefer this aspect of the Eldar's alternate history.

Go, all of you. Find what refuge you can in the wilderness of this world.
Actually, we killed every last one of the Eldar in Tyrea.

Escape is still possible, Farseer--
No, it's not! I know for a fact that I killed you, Harlequin. You barely made it down the ramp before Fire Warriors cut you down.

Okay, this shot looks pretty badass, but I didn't field nearly that many Kroot.

I do not deserve that title, Harlequin. My vision has failed us all. My fate is here and I shall not flee from it.

And so Taldeer makes herself out to look like this mega badass who does an awesome last stand against overwhelming forces in order to give the last of her Eldar a chance to escape.

Not a bad story, but as you saw, not what actually happened.

In truth, I didn't see Taldeer's unit while playing this map. It's entirely possible she died in the never-ending barrage of Harbinger Drone fire and I just missed it.

Or maybe the game never spawned her unit on this map. Who knows? I assume she actually did quietly sneak away, since who else would produce this blatant Eldar propaganda? Not the Tau, I assure you. The Eldar suffered a shameful defeat at Tyrea, with every single unit and structure captured or destroyed.

Good work, O'Kais. We have another move this turn, thanks to Fury. Let me show you our currentoptions in a handy list:
  • The Ariel Highlands, currently owned by the Space Marines. Would grant us the Bulwark ability.
  • The Vandean Coast, currently owned by the Space Marines. Would grant us the Industrial Production ability.
  • The Orestan Plains, currently owned by the Imperial Guard. Would grant us a Crisis Suit Honour Guard.
  • The Morriah Coast, currently owned by Chaos. Would grant us a Skyray Missile Ship Honour Guard.
  • The Murad Swamplands, currently owned by Chaos. Would grant us the Kroot Elder Shaper Harbyx--
I recommend that option, O'Kais. It's about time we free Shaper Harbyx from his imprisonment.
As I was saying:
  • The Aceria Forests, currently owned by Chaos. Would grant us the Increased Manpower ability.
  • The Janus Savannah, currently owned by da Orkz. Would grant us another Kroot Alpha Pack.
  • The Rhean Jungle, currently owned by Chaos. Would grant us a Crisis Suit Honour Guard.
  • The Rhean Floodlands, currently owned by da Orkz. Would grant us Kroot Hound Hunting Pack.
Of course, we could always defend this turn and build requisition for better Forward Bases and defenses, or even just move next to an enemy stronghold to prepare for another killing blow.
Leave it to the War Council.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Take the Vandean Coast. It's very very handy, especially now that strongholds should start ramping up.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Reinforce. Commander, if we have a pool of force, we can make better use of the honour guards we get.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Good job, Greggers.

You should get that Shaper guy, he might know some smarts.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

#heytaldeer #gregory #taurule

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pity the only sync kill against the knarloc comes from a unit I don't think can ever actually appear in the Dark Crusade single player campaign unless you build it. Maybe in the AI's hands in a skirmish map that drags on a really, really long time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

Resistance has been light, but steady. Thank goodness for this Hammerhead Gunship.

Thank greater goodness.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Blind Sally posted:

Inst'augram

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Much as I would like to make Thule-bo-booley taste Tau boot, I think it would be wise to reinforce for a turn.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

We need to rekroot the shaper!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
[b]Vandean Coast[/b[ Never say no to more money.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Reinforce a turn, then go for the Vandean Coast, then Shaper Harbyx.

I have never beaten the Eldar stronghold the 'correct' way. It's just way too much fun to smash the gigantic base into pieces. Honestly, the Eldar stronghold is one of the better ones in DC; it's nicely thematic and is one of only like four missions in the entire series to have more than one enemy faction on the same map. It's way better than the nightmare slog of the Tau base or the utter pushover of the Space Marines, for sure.

Incidentally, are you planning on showing off the Tau stronghold mission at some point? It's the only one you can't see on your current run, after all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

I keep trying to Blingee this but I can't get their site to work :saddowns:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

:buddy: Gregory! :neckbeard:

Go for the Vandean Coast now.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I say we just swoop in to rescue the named character, and no need to save for a turn since that province only has 4 defense anyhow and our Shas'O would be a loving embarrassment to the cadre if he couldn't take something like that even by his lonesome.

Besides, it leaves us in a position to nab the Chaos HQ the very next turn if we want to.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kvx687 posted:

Incidentally, are you planning on showing off the Tau stronghold mission at some point? It's the only one you can't see on your current run, after all.

Yeah, once we're done with Gregory's Quest I'll mess about and have some other things to show off, including the Tau Stronghold.

edit: until then, I believe Veloxyll took out the Tau stronghold with the Orkz in their stream. I've linked it in the OP.

edit: edit: yeah, video 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2fN8Z0gf3w

Sally fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 5, 2015

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Vandean Coast
More requisition per turn means less time spent not spreading the Greater Good. It is a shame that Taldeer has either fled or perished, I loved all of her conversations with O'Kais.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Has anyone done a history dump about who the Tau are and how they started?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Ariel Highlands, Aceria Forest, and Murad Swampland in order are my votes. I cannot remember the Forest's gimmick, but its also a really good one to have,letting you get even more Tau Guns on the field in a battle.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ProfessorCurly posted:

Has anyone done a history dump about who the Tau are and how they started?

I think there was one fairly early on, it may have even been me giving it but I'll give a short hand version and if others feel the need they can go into deeper detail.

So the Imperium are dicking around the eastern galactic fringe when they discover an alien race just on the verge of the stone age, in true Imperial fashion they decided to blow this primitive species up before they became a threat. Unfortunately before the Exterminatus fleet could arrive a warp storm sprang up making interacting with the planet impossible. After the warp storm ends the Tau have advanced to and even possibly beyond the technology of the 40000 year old Imperium of Man. They immediately started expanding and creating a small intergalactic empire in the name of the Greater Good, as decreed by the Ethereal Caste.

So what happened inside the storm was the Tau reached roughly the Middle Ages and were all about fighting each other for territory or honour or other such things, when something strange happened. In cities and towns all over the planet a Tau would arrive, and they would talk to everyone they could from the highest lord to the lowest servant. The end result is these Tau became the Ethereal Caste and the rest of the Tau fell into line really fast. They then hit a golden age of technological advancement that hasn't really stopped if we're being honest.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
I was asking because I'm probably going to. Teaser:

In relatively recent history, the Tau attempted to invent the solar panel, a device which would harness the energy of a star.

It blew up the star.

They're working on weaponizing it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

That's nice, good thing the Necrons can already do it way better and from across the galaxy. They have a star-map that you can use to literally wipe out the stars.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I feel I've already demonstrated just how "effective" the Necron are.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Meanwhile, Dark Eldar can just straight up pull stars into the Webway (or could, it is uncertain whether they still have the knowhow to do it.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Blind Sally posted:

I feel I've already demonstrated just how "effective" the Necron are.

I've played this game (well, Soulstorm) a moderate amount. Not multiplayer competitive or anything, but enough to be able to win reliably on hard against the AI using my favorite factions (Sisters of Battle, Tau, Spess Marines). I tried once to play as Necron and could not win a single battle. On medium. Not one. How do they DO anything? It takes them weeks to get anywhere!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To be fair, Commander... some of the newer fluff for the Necron is honestly hilarious. Like that one character that 1d4chan has dubbed "Trollzyn the Tarpit Breaker". Even ignoring his in-game trolling on the tabletop, is also a massive troll in lore, and a "collector" to rival the Bloody Magpies themselves.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mzbundifund posted:

I've played this game (well, Soulstorm) a moderate amount. Not multiplayer competitive or anything, but enough to be able to win reliably on hard against the AI using my favorite factions (Sisters of Battle, Tau, Spess Marines). I tried once to play as Necron and could not win a single battle. On medium. Not one. How do they DO anything? It takes them weeks to get anywhere!

I can win reliably against the Dawn of War AI on Hard using the Necron. I posted my strategy here, along with other factions I've managed to conquer Hard Mode with (I still need to write up the Imp Guard): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736670&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post449526158

In short: walk as little as possible. Dig in a bit and rush Power until you can afford to field a massive Flayed One army. Take your Necron Commander out to an enemy base and then have all your Flayed Ones pop up as Shock Troopers. That usually sorts them out. Later, once you've dominated more of the map you'll be able to just teleport Necron Warriors and Flayed Ones to various Necron buildings. By that point, you should have access to their vehicles, and with Tomb Spyders and Tomb Destroyers, you're set.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's nice, good thing the Necrons can already do it way better and from across the galaxy. They have a star-map that you can use to literally wipe out the stars.

"They" is a little bit overstating it.

One of the big necron problems is that Necron nobility were a bunch of backstabbing, petty assholes before they went into the bioforges, and then a couple hundred thousand years' worth of stasis crypts ended up slapping a couple layers of insanity on top of that. Yes, the Necrons have access to weapons of unfathomable power. As a race, they may not have finished science, but they can see the end from where they are. As individual factions, though?

Sure, the Celestial Orrey can snuff a star on a whim. On the other hand, the Celestial Orrey is literally all its holding tomb-world has going for it, and absolutely every Harbinger of Destruction (crypteks specializing in high energy physics) that's not on Orrey duty wants nothing more than an excuse to launch an attack on the Orrey and recover it for the glory of [INSERT PHAERON HERE].

Sure, Orikan the Diviner can travel across time on a whim. Mostly, he uses this talent to kill any other Harbinger of Eternity who might develop the same ability.

Sure, the Court of the Hollow Sun has the most impregnable fortress in all existence. Too bad about the difference between "impregnable fortress" and "tomb" being whether the guy who has the codes to open it remembers them. (Spoiler warning: the answer is no!)

You get the idea.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hey nerds! Someone explain what exactly the Angry Marines are in more detail than 'it's a stupid internet thing', thanks

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crane Fist posted:

Hey nerds! Someone explain what exactly the Angry Marines are in more detail than 'it's a stupid internet thing', thanks

They're a parody of how the average Marine has two major characteristics and little else: Bald, and angry.

That's pretty much it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Crane Fist posted:

/tg/ made a bunch of custom chapters, one of those were the Angry Marines. They are angry marines.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Angry_Marines

Always Angry. All the time.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

Sometimes people forget that at the core of it 40k is supposed to be fun, albeit one played with a straight face if you're not orks. In more recent years, relatively speaking, people started taking 40k much more seriously. I think the angry marines got traction because they're amusing in all the right ways.

pretty sure there's a version where they all rock out on guitars on the way down

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

God drat. Who wrote this garbage? A 13-year old with a raging PCP habit?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crane Fist posted:

All of 1d4chan is written like that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Crane Fist posted:

People trying to have fun.

EDIT: Maybe the Pretty Marines are more your speed

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 5, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Onmi posted:

People trying to have fun.

4chan is kind of scummy sometimes tho, see the zoe quinn name drop in the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

hard counter posted:

4chan is kind of scummy sometimes tho, see the zoe quinn name drop in the article.

Didn't even notice it.

• Locked thread