Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Iretep posted:

In normal 1vs1 game the Tau don't really mind vehicles since they aim to kill the opponent before they can build anything actually dangerous. Tau winning strategy is to mass fire warriors into critical death blob proprtions and just kill everything instantly.

If someone allows a Tau player to mass fire warriors before before teching up enough to effectively counter them, they deserve what's coming to them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Theantero posted:

What's this? Tech heresy most foul! I always knew those emperor-drat blood ravens were up to something :argh:

'Quest for knowledge' my rear end. Quest for damnation more like.
Man, loving Blood Magpies. Too bad that we are saddled with them in the DoW games since it's Relics own, special little chapter.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

my dad posted:

If someone allows a Tau player to mass fire warriors before before teching up enough to effectively counter them, they deserve what's coming to them. :v:

Well sadly some races can't really do much against tau early game. I think they only got nerfed in Soulstorm to be more ballanced.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

my dad posted:

The problem with long range firepower only approach is called "vehicles". A pair of pathfinder teams can light one up twice to nullify its armor, your stealthsuits can tear walkers to shreds, and your tanks can dish out a lot of damage, but still, if the enemy has 3 or more walkers with support, there's a good chance they'll reach your front lines and start loving poo poo up. A mix of Looted Tanks and Killa Kans is serious trouble to range only Tau, and so is IG with artillery support.

In my experience on Normal it worked well enough for me. I utterly fail at micro so even my Vehicle supply is full of nothing but drone.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Iretep posted:

Well sadly some races can't really do much against tau early game. I think they only got nerfed in Soulstorm to be more ballanced.

True. The Tau, the Necrons, and the Eldar are a clear tier above other factions in Dark Crusade.

Godna posted:

In my experience on Normal it worked well enough for me. I utterly fail at micro so even my Vehicle supply is full of nothing but drone.

Oh, yeah, drones are cool and good, especially when an Ethereal is present. But the nice thing about Krootox is that you just A-move with them too, they're melee units and won't disrupt your fire warrior formations, AND normal anti-vehicle weapons aren't as effective against them as you'd expect them to be. (Gray Knights will wreck their poo poo, though)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, loving Blood Magpies. Too bad that we are saddled with them in the DoW games since it's Relics own, special little chapter.

Well to be honest, the Blood Ravens would need some sort of illicit cloning tech to keep up their numbers, since they lose hundreds or even thousands of troops in every game and Space Marine chapters are canonically only allowed to have a 1000 or so marines at a time :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Theantero posted:

Well to be honest, the Blood Ravens would need some sort of illicit cloning tech to keep up their numbers, since they lose hundreds or even thousands of troops in every game and Space Marine chapters are canonically only allowed to have a 1000 or so marines at a time :v:
Blood Ravens just steal marines from other chapters. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Theantero posted:

I think that the rationalization from the tabletop game (this is from some extremly hazy memory here) is that due to the advanced armor technology and the fact that Spessmarinees are genejacked 'roided ubermensch means that your losses are actually mostly injuries. I think the same is applied to Eldar as well or you'd have lost the entire figthing force for a Craftworld in one DoW map (not that it's anything wrong with this, screw the space elfs).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Poil posted:

Blood Ravens just steal marines from other chapters. :v:

I swear I've heard of one account where a dude just bought a bunch of small ebay armies and painted them in Bloody Magpie colours- Scouts were Eldar, the Techmarine was an Ork mek, that kind of thing :v: I wonder if he used the ally rules as well.

And honestly, we shouldn't mind that Blind Sally's playing the Tau since it's canon that the Space Marines won here.

Kaurava's totally an Imperial Guard victory. and a good thing too, otherwise...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That narrator is just amazing.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Yup. Really wish we could have a video Let's Play so we can hear the regular lines, or see Macro decisions and actual gameplay. In my experience, DoW is a chaotic experience with enemy assaults happening all the time; seeing pictures just doesnt do it justice.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Theantero posted:

They probably borrowed some ideas from the Space Wolves and built up larger than the generally accepted chapter size. The Blood Ravens are hardly big on rules and tradition, so I can totally see them building up a few extra companies when no-one is looking. Subsector Aurelia is basically in the arse end of space anyway, and they get away with enough stealing that they know no-one who cares is watching anything they do.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Blood Ravens in Space Marine were actually just from one enterprising Blood Raven who captured and re-painted a company of Ultramarines.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MooCowlian posted:

they get away with enough stealing that they know no-one who cares is watching anything they do.

Considering they have Custodes equipment, I think it's more that they're holding the Emperor hostage :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Curious Blind Sally, do you intend to show off any mods? If not, I wouldn't mind at the end doing a video covering the Tyranid mod and the Ultimate Apocalypse mod. Even by using the Com vs Com mod to set up battles.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Is it intentional that the space marine and imperial guard models are broad featured and look suspiciously similar to the dudes I see vehemently arguing about 40k in game shops?

What I'm saying is they're doughy looking fuckers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Anoia posted:

Is it intentional that the space marine and imperial guard models are broad featured and look suspiciously similar to the dudes I see vehemently arguing about 40k in game shops?

What I'm saying is they're doughy looking fuckers.

They're British, yes. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

Considering they have Custodes equipment, I think it's more that they're holding the Emperor hostage :v:

Nah, more like they have equipment they claim is from the Custodes. I prefer to think that almost every fancy weapon story attached to Blood Raven gear is just them making poo poo up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Weapons lent and provided to the Bloody Magpies were thought lost forever until the Mecha-Avitus incident.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It was lying around and they picked it up so the orks couldn't, they just haven't run into the custodes to give it back yet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's their policy to not give anything back unless the owner comes to collect.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chiasaur11 posted:

And, err... I still would like a yes/no on the small but tasteful shrine thing. You know. For morale.

What? Ew, no! Of course not! What that's a disgusti--
Er, sir?
Yes? What is it?
*whispers*
Uh. Yes. Okay. Hmm, I see. Wait, really? Well, I suppose-- *ahem* I have it under authority that, yes, worship of the God-Emperor is allowed within the Tau ranks, as long as said worship does not supersede attainment of the Greater Good (and as long as you do away with the psychotic xenophobic rambling stuff). Just, please, keep the shrine tasteful.

Neige posted:

Yup. Really wish we could have a video Let's Play so we can hear the regular lines, or see Macro decisions and actual gameplay. In my experience, DoW is a chaotic experience with enemy assaults happening all the time; seeing pictures just doesnt do it justice.

Just imagine that every line I say in this LP is spoken in this voice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBM6zC0nHFA. It works, I swear!

Although, I do plan to record some battles at a later point to show off what it actually looks like. My concern with doing a full video LP is that I'd be too busy micro managing everything to keep a coherent narrative going. When I pause the game and move the camera around, I can get some interesting shots and cut out 95% of base building and Stealthsuit recon/point-capping to keep things focussed on the main parts of battle. Dawn Of War is a blast, but Hard-mode campaigns can sometimes get bogged down in warfare over a single square, and video after video of the same defense probably wouldn't make for good LP. But yeah, have no fear, there will be videos at a later date.

Onmi posted:

Curious Blind Sally, do you intend to show off any mods? If not, I wouldn't mind at the end doing a video covering the Tyranid mod and the Ultimate Apocalypse mod. Even by using the Com vs Com mod to set up battles.

At this point in time, I have no plans to show off any mods.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habituallyred posted:

Strike the Highlands while the Eldar leader is away. Surely we can fly supplies over the wall even if the Eldar have the same idea and attack our most recent conquest.

Black Balloon posted:

Go Greater Good the poo poo out of the Highlands with some Hammerheads.

Poil posted:

Stomp over the Northlands. Rip the flesh from the eldar bones and feed them to the dogs kroot.

Scintilla posted:

Highlands.

gently caress the Eldar.

Heh heh, wow, I certainly appreciate your zeal, Shas'uis! So be it, we shall attack the Highlands.
Tread softly, Shas'o, their defenses are formidable and you lack a proper Honour Guard.
Yeah, yeah, I'll be careful. Onward!

The Ariel Highlands constitute a massive battlefield. As you can see, there's a bounty of strategic points here. If we can claim this territory, we'll be able to shore up our defenses across Kronus quickly and cheaply!

We need to move quickly, though. The enemy already has two functioning bases in the area with stationed troops.

We've taken the base point, Shas'o. Let's move on.

Our basic Stealthsuits will capture the points around our base. We will scout ahead for the enemy base locations. If we can quickly take out at least one, we'll stand a chance at capturing the Highlands.

A Ranger Squad! Kill them before they can infiltrate.

Haha, look at them cower before our plasma fire!
I wonder if our base is faring as well as we are?

You shall all fall before my blade!
Ethereal save us!

Rush her, rush her!
She's too fast!

Yeah, they're probably fine.
Shas'o, we've knocked out their Listening Posts!
Good. One of their bases is nearby. Move quickly and quietly.

Aaaaaah!!!
Shas'o, where are you?
A pitiful race. Young and too full of hubris.

Shas'o, we found the ba-- *is killed by cannon fire*
Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap! Too many fortifications! Not enough Wargear! I gotta get out of here!

We did it! We beat back the Farseer!
Ha, she won't be showing her fa-- *dies*
Ahh! Who's shooting? Where is that gun fire coming from?
I don't know! Someone call up a Vespid squad!

I'll scout for more requisition. We're gonna need it to, uh. To, to--uh. G-guys? There's more of them incoming.
There, fire on the Tau!

Lousy Harlequin, piss off!

Your coming here was a mistake, young one.
No, don't follow me! That's a bad idea!

This attack was a bad idea! A terrible idea! Ethereal sa-- *Battlesuit fails*

--ugh, I'm just gonna--lie down for a moment.

Turrets are online, let's see how the Eldar like us now!

Not very, but we need those Vespid.

We are here.
There they are, get those damned Rangers!

Your leader has fallen. Surrender or face a similar fate.
What?! Shas'o? By the Ethereals...

Fall back, we need to fall back! We can fight another day, but we need to fall back!

Shas'o, you've returned. I take it the war did not fare well?
No comment.

Reports say the Necron have again attempted to overtake the Imperial Guard. They were, again, beaten back.
The Imperium of Man are a tenacious bunch. I'll give them that.

The Farseer Taldeer has moved her forces directly to the Ariel Highlands. If you were having problems taking it now, Shas'o, it's going to be even worse.
She can still support the Northlands, but if we can capture them now, we would cut Taldeer off from her primary base.

What's our next move?
You know, we could return to Tash'n and then strike at the Agamar Desert. The Orkz are beginning to reinforce it, and that could become a problem later on.
I'll leave the decision to my war council.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Northlands.

Again, gently caress the Eldar.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

What? Ew, no! Of course not! What that's a disgusti--
Er, sir?
Yes? What is it?
*whispers*
Uh. Yes. Okay. Hmm, I see. Wait, really? Well, I suppose-- *ahem* I have it under authority that, yes, worship of the God-Emperor is allowed within the Tau ranks, as long as said worship does not supersede attainment of the Greater Good (and as long as you do away with the psychotic xenophobic rambling stuff). Just, please, keep the shrine tasteful.

Very tasteful, sir.

No more than 50, 60 skulls. 70, tops.

If you see more than 80 skulls, just let me know, and the lads will sort things out right away.

As for the target?

Northlands. As before, lets show those knife eared xeno bastards why they're going to go extinct. Err... for the Greater Good, of course.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 16, 2015

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Shas'o, while I still believe that the Northlands are a prime target, perhaps you should take a more cautionary approach to the battle this time and shore up your defenses before committing to a push.

The Eldar are conniving, deceitful tricksters, and trying to assault them before you have a solid force is suicidal. You should get Hammerheads for the assault. Like, lots of them.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Tau die, the Emperor laughs
Good on the Guard for holding off the Necron foe, but we have more pressing issues.
While I hate my commander like I hate all aliens I don't want us to attack the Northlands again, I can only laugh so much in one day.
Kill the Orks, drive them from their desert hiding spot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just to be clear, the Highlands have two fortified Eldar bases and are where we, uh, had to fight a tactical retreat. The Northlands are the stretch of land between the Eldar HQ and the Highlands that have been foolishly left, more or less, undefended.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Go for the Northlands!

We fall back only to regroup. The Greater Good must prosper.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As representative of the Lawful-Stupid Brigade, I believe that the Necrons are a blight upon space that must be wiped from existence. As such I vote we assault our way towards the Necron forces so we may destroy them. I'm too Lawful to read maps, so you'll have to figure out which way gets us closer to them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Strike the spaceport! The Marine Commander is cut off from it, and if we take it we'll be able to strike across the planet with impunity!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Snark posted:

You should get Hammerheads for the assault. Like, lots of them.
Funny thing about that, you can't have lots of Hammerheads. Part of the reason why I usually go Kauyon. Anyway, we should hit the Orkz, they're a much easier target for Tau.
The Spaceport is a great asset but it's more of a midgame objective, so far we can't really use it to assault anything significant anyway. We'll start needing that once we have a honor guard. Plus if I remember correctly that mission is a pain in the rear end.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 16, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Incidentally, the Eldar are why I always grab the helmet first when I play the Tau.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is frequently checked and updated to make sure it has the latest and most accurate data on the Xenos filth who would dare to profane His most holy domains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

Incidentally, the Eldar are why I always grab the helmet first when I play the Tau.

I always go helmet, fusion gun, plasma rifle. Fusion gun is just a necessary sacrifice to get to the plasma rifle, which is pretty solid and complements fire warriors nicely.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

anilEhilated posted:

The Spaceport is a great asset but it's more of a midgame objective, so far we can't really use it to assault anything significant anyway. We'll start needing that once we have a honor guard. Plus if I remember correctly that mission is a pain in the rear end.

Oh yes we can. That place with that guy. You know, the one who just wants blood. And the spaceport mission is actually pretty easy if you focus on the objective.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Go to Northlands and gently caress 'em Eldar up where they're weak

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Oh yes we can. That place with that guy. You know, the one who just wants blood. And the spaceport mission is actually pretty easy if you focus on the objective.
Right. I burned out on DoW years ago so I don't remember the special maps too well. Plus the best factions start near that one anyway.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Northlands now that the Farseer has been tricked by our, uh, cunning feint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

That narrator is just amazing.

The game has some amazing voice acting. INDEED it is true that the narrator is one of them. INDEED is it true that the most memorable lines belong to pretty much everyone not the Tau.

• Locked thread