Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Imperial Guard are made for firing and dying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Counterpoint - while Imperial Guard and Tau may both have amazing tanks. The Eldar Fire Prism (and D-Cannon turret) were never underpowered ever during the whole series.

That said: Orkz Orkz Orkz

Dark Crusade was balanced around Tau VS Necrons with the other races being a second thought. Somehow despite this Eldar remained competitive while everyone else had a hard time against Necrons and Tau.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Suprised Chaos isnt getting more votes. I was under the impression everyone was a fan of the factions commander since he was so popular they brought him back to life for dawn of war 2.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 15, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I'm suprised the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer even has Tau mentioned considering how irrelevant they are in the grand scale of things.

Poil posted:

Tau, the only race dumb enough not to have any base defense.

I think their reasoning for no base defence is that they havent met an alien race so far that either doesent compleatly overwhelm them in fighting strength or are so weak that they will join the Tau if they just fire their guns a few times.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In normal 1vs1 game the Tau don't really mind vehicles since they aim to kill the opponent before they can build anything actually dangerous. Tau winning strategy is to mass fire warriors into critical death blob proprtions and just kill everything instantly.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 16, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

my dad posted:

If someone allows a Tau player to mass fire warriors before before teching up enough to effectively counter them, they deserve what's coming to them. :v:

Well sadly some races can't really do much against tau early game. I think they only got nerfed in Soulstorm to be more ballanced.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If I remember right it was hinted that the etherals were created by the Eldar. Knowing Eldar some craftworld probably had a vision of something or other and it only happened if they made the Tau what they are now. In a few thousand years the Tau will probably die in the billions to save one Eldar life somewhere.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

There's that bit of fluff where they first encountered a Chaos warband and thought that they killed Slannesh when they shot the Chaos Champion leading the band. The Tau are naive as all hell, but that and their superior firepower makes me like them all the more. gently caress your Titans, we have Manta gunships.

While Tau dish out superior fire power they have a big problem with logistics to my understanding. They need new ammo for their guns and they need supply lines for that. Also their weapons require experts to fix and they are prone to breaking since they are high tech. Imperial guards lasguns are pretty simple to get ammo for. Just throw the ammo catridge into a fire and after a moment its ready to be fired again. Lasguns also never break so they are incredibly reliable. Orks on the other hand just put trash into their guns. They also fix their guns with trash. Eldar can use the webway to get their ammo so its less of an issue for them. I don't think their weapons really break either since they just fire shruikens mostly.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm pretty sure the state of the galaxy as it is right now is the win state for both Orks and Chaos. Maybe even Nids too, if they can't cannibalize.

Nids are probably finding the they hate this poo poo universe and they want to leave ever since one of the tendrils got stuck in an area of space thats mostly infested Orks. While the Orks don't really like fighting Nids since they dont produce much loot when killed, it's still better than fighting each other. Orks love a good fight so the longer the Nids and Orks fight the more and more Orks start coming in and the ones already there will just keep growing and growing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considering how dumb youd have to be to join the Tau, it is pretty impressive that they have managed to get worlds to join them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

dasmause posted:

Beats loving Imperium, which is literally the only other option
Then again I'm not the lore master, but I'm struggling to imagine why joining Tau is bad

I can think of 2 reasons from the top of my head. The imperial fleet and Eversor assassins. Tau can't do jackshit against the imperiums space navy and any governor who goes full treason isn't going to live long.
Also Chaos is always a 3rd option.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Just so I'm clear...

he's the one on the left, yeah?

:commissar:

Also the way I handle Hyperion Peaks is let some other faction take over it. With Orks in it it's way harder since all the buildings shoot at you. With necrons or Tau its stupidly easy from what I remember.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 19, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone else weirded out that Force commander Vanilla Ice is talking to the Tau commander even though he's supposed to at best be a sergeant at this point in another mission somewhere? Also hes mute. Did chaos do this?

Iretep fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 19, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Warhammer already has a race of technologically advanced midgets. They are called the Tau.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

None of the Tau technology is from Eldar Meddling, at best their current survival and the Ethereals are Eldar meddling, all the technology is self developed and an example of what a species that actually cared about developing new technology can get done. None of the other races develop new things at any appreciable pace because of various reasons specific to each race. Also if the prophet you're speaking of is Eldrad Ulthran he doesn't actually know what's going on he just knows more than any other not-god. Honestly the 2 most likely to know what the gently caress is going on are Cegorach the laughing god of the Eldar and Tzeentch chaos god of hope, change and sorcery.

Eldar and Dark Eldar make new things if they need to. They just dont need to advance much anymore since they are already firing mini black holes and anti matter at people. Necrons can probably still advance too but they are also at a similar level of technology to the Eldar. Humans can also advance but not at the similar level they could during the dark age of technology. They used AIs to make new technology that was almost magic but now AIs are banned so they can only make technology thats mostly just a bit more advanced than what humans have now. Like civilian population still produces gun powder based weapons on some planets. Of course laser guns are probably preferred but those are military grade stuff so not easy to come by for everyone.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I dont think the Tau AIs are properly advanced to go full AM levels of madness yet.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 20, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Humanity was managing a whole lot in the dark age of technology without the emprah considering that was the main age where they expanded and made up new technology.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Basically, this. The Imperium does everything it can to convince people this is as good as it gets and everything needs to be this lovely, while systematically destroying any alternative it can. It didn't manage to destroy the Tau because they might be a regional power but effectively, so is nearly any Imperial force thanks to their own logistical troubles, and it can't destroy Chaos, which makes Chaos an unfortunately prevalent 'alternative'. Chaos also has the incredible honor of being one of the only options open for a human to join that is actually worse than the Imperium.

Wow, thats some Tau propaganda if I ever heard any. Only reason Tau are still there is the fleet that was set to exterminate them got pulled to go fight the Tyranid hive fleets. They haven't had time to muster another mega fleet to finally get rid of the blue midgets. The Tau at this moment can't fight the imperiums space fleets at all. They can only keep doing hit and run tactics against he imperial guard and hope they run out of canon fodder. Sadly that wont be the case if the imperium ever stops being threatened by bigger dangers than the Tau.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Lamenters should really consider changing their chapter name.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If they havent blown the planet up yet they probably arent going to since the planet has something important enough to die for. A planet full of hostile life with no strategic worth tends to get orbitally bombarded pretty fast.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

I don't think the Inquisition could orbitally bombard Kronus. I mean, I have no idea what sorts of devices the Inquisition use to bombard planets, but considering there are six other fleets in orbit around Kronus, besides the Space Marines, who are all blasting the poo poo out of each other, I don' think they'd have the opportunity. The biggest gameplay caveat of Dark Crusade--that you have to move on foot because there's no air support--depends on there being a massive space battle going on just over all our heads. (It's why getting Pavonis is such a big deal, since it allows us to sneak transports through the ridiculous orbital guns).

Well a traditional exterminatus is out then. Orbital bombardment is only the simplest way to destroy a planet since the imperial fleet just needs their ships to do that. The imperium has multiple ways to do a proper exterminatus though some are only limited to space marines and inquisitors. Virus bombing is basically throwing a virus that spreads to all organic material and turns it into green sludge. This can kill a planets entire population in minutes. The process also produces a huge amount of flammable gasses so after the planes a pile of green crap its easy to burn it as well. Another way to do exterminatus is using cyclonic torpedoes. The normal kind just explode and usually burn the planets atmosphere out and maybe cracks the planet in half. A two stage cyclonic torpedo on the other hand uses melta to first bore into the planets center and then detonates, destroying the entire planet. Two stage cyclonic torpedoes tend to be used on stuff like dead worlds with necron tombs in them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Dark Eldar are criminally under represented. Who cares about their hippy cousins, Dark eldar know whats up.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
All the dawn of war games have had intresting chaos villains. Winter war probably least so since Crull main thing was hating Gorgutz and being even more over the top to Khorne than Bale from the original dawn of war.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Avitus and Jonah were great. I can take or leave the rest of that squad, though.

Cyrus survived Soulstorm. You have to respect that. :colbert:
Only one I never really cared about was Thaddeus.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In battlefleet gothic Abaddon the Despoiler has a special rule "You have failed me for the last time" which causes his ship to fire at one of his own ships that has failed rolls at least twice. He's basically Megatron.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Uh dawn of war 2 is filled with nurgle.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I wish soulstorm or dark crusade had a mod that made the overworld aspect of the campaign better.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Ideally nobody tanks since you'll be throwing so much dakka at the enemy that theyll be dead before they reach melee. If you really need a tank use the dreadnaught I guess. Only reason to really turn the force commander into a melee guy is because its much more cooler. On impossible diff I don't think the force commander is very useful with a thunder hammer though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Back in the old days Thaddeus could surivive with terminator armour with to some perks that made him immortal for a moment after teleporting and another perk that allowed him to keep teleporting as much as he wanted. I think they nerfed it a bit in chaos rising but I remember it still worked to some level. It was pretty micro intensive though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Velius posted:

Edit: oh dear. Are there any Orks incorporated into the greater good? Because I've always felt a kinship with both groups. But obviously the Greater Good is the true path we should all follow...

Some Orks work as mercenaries but any proper Ork society will just kill any diplomats the Tau send. At best the Tau can kindly pay an Ork group to go and attack someone else instead. Afterwards the Orks will obviously come back and kill the Tau too since they are obviously weak but have loot to take.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
To my understanding Orks tend to not accept non-Orks into warboss status. If only being the strongest was enough to be a warboss then it'd be a pretty simple thing to take over Ork tribes. But Orks are fairly racist and have traditions so even if some human comes and murders the warboss in single combat, they wont follow him because hes not green skinned and unorky to boot. There are ways to manipulate Orks though, like putting an Ork that listens to your commands into warboss status. Of course once hes warboss actually controlling him will probably end up being a lot harder. Eldar also tend to manipulate Orks by using their psychic powers to fake being one or putting ideas into a warboss's head to make him do stuff like attack some planet. Humans do similar stuff also. Assasinating a warboss with bad ideas is fairly common too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Aren't squigs part of the orkish ecosystem (Orkosystem)? I thought they were among the first base life forms created from Ork spores.

I think one of the theories is that squiqs come from tyranids somehow, maybe the tyranid genestealers did some genetic manipulation to Orks or the Orks loved tyranid rippers so much that they willed their own Ork DNA to start producing them. But yes, they are part of the Ork ecosystem.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only race the Orks have ever accepted into their society is the humble squig, because when the two met both instinctively the inherant 'orkyness' in each other.

In old fluff some warbosses also took in Ogryns as well. Not sure if new fluff has any refrence to this though.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Decided to try out the bug fix mod for soulstorm. I'm already reduced to tower rushing with IG on hard and the sororitas have a 9 defence map. On turn 4. Not sure if this is because of the AI mod that comes with the mod or if this is just insane bad luck. :negative:

Iretep fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 30, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Pretty sure that's Orks. Unless I;ve forgotten a detector all Orks get is Gorgutz+ Mek.

Stealth with no detectors is REALLY obnoxious.

IG have the worst detectors id say. Only thing that can see at tier one is the hero if you buy the psyker and satelite which isnt the best. Tier 2 you have to buy another psyker. Also Orks get shoota squads nobs as detectors too. For Orks detectors are rarely a thing since all your heroes can see just fine anyway.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Stuff isnt getting orbitally bombarded because space is still being constested by the factions.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Uh lets go through the list I guess.
Tau: Dont want to blow up places because its theirs
IG: Dont want to blow up places because its theirs
Chaos: Probably enjoy doing it the slow and painful way
Orks: Enjoy doing it the slow and painful way
Eldar: Why would the Eldar even stay around after the Necrons are dead? Go away stupid space elves.
Necrons: Want to harvest dudes which means walking slowly everywhere with their super advanced vacuum cleaners.
Space Marines: No reason not to detonate everything really. They probably should just exterminatus the entire planet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
To the Tau the idea of blowing up a planet is compleatly insane. The Damocles Gulf Crusade was probably a very educating experience for them on how insane the galaxy was.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Onmi posted:

Reminder that in DoW 2 rather than tell the Space Marines the Tyranids were coming (even via secret) they instead tried desperately to sabotage everything and stir up an Ork Waaargh and cut off supply lines.

They're remaining behind because they are SPACE ELF DICKHEADS.

You have to keep in mind the Eldar were following a vision the Farseer saw. The vision didnt contain them telling the humans anything. If I remember right their intention was to draw out the fight as long as possible so a craftworld wouldnt get shot up in the future. Since the space marines won so fast its possible the Imperium is going to shoot up the craftworld when it arrives or the craftworld will have to do something really annoying so that never happens. Predicting the future is annoying basically.

Blind Sally posted:

I feel the Tau have the most altruistic feelings towards Kronus. It's their colony, by gum, and they're going to defend it AND its peoples without glassing significant segments of the continent.

Well the imperium is being alturistic too. Purging all the evil treasonous xenos and heretics so they do not corrupt the purity of man is all great and noble honestly. Humanity has a long history of examples why the xenos are to not be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Heres an old CG of the ritual to summon Khaine, it's old fluff so it might have been changed later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMHVBOgD0M
Also why he is called the bloody handed god is because while he is the war god, he is basically the manifestation of murder. The eternally bleeding hand is a reminder to him for murdering the Eldar hero Eldanesh.
The aspect warriors you see the Eldar use all worship diffrent aspects of Khaine. Which is why an exarch sacrifice is needed to summon Khaine: They have dedicated themselves so compleatly to one aspect to Khaine that they can't stop it.

• Locked thread