Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
SPESS MEHRENS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Since I'm the only vote for marines, I'll switch it to the Imperial Guard, if we can't be the emperors sword, lets be his sledge hammer.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord_Magmar posted:

The setting always seems to flip flop on if the machine spirits are real or just a bunch of superstitious mumbo jumbo. I've always liked the theory that it's a little bit of both, more often than not the Adeptus Mechanicus holy prayers and observances are in fact just the way they remember how to use the machines. Largely because making it a religious practice also makes it easier to teach guardsmen so they don't do stupid things like trying to remove the protective casing of the battery or something. Also I wish to once more point out that most Imperium Technology does not in fact have Artificial (Abominable) Intelligence, it has automated systems and intelligent technology but there are no Artificial (Abominable) Intelligences, largely because after the Men of Iron nonsense they went around tearing them all out. Now instead of Artificial Intelligences if they need a machine to think for itself they use wet-ware, which is a vat grown clone who is raised from birth for that specific job. Also instances of things like Rhino's working without crew could easily be explained by warp nonsense, or the aforementioned wet-ware, because Machine Spirits if they exist are probably warp nonsense more than they are AI because we know you can create spirits in the warp through belief, and the Adeptus Mechanicus is a large source of belief and any AI is instantly destroyed by the Adeptus Mechanicus upon discovery.

You are correct that they need the Admin password but it isn't for swapping the AI, it's for actually accessing the majority of the ships systems.

I've always liked the idea for the 40k setting that the line between AI, underlying codes/ operating systems and spirituality are blurred. As you mentioned, likely most things aren't AI, but in the setting with so much old gear running around with prayer memorized cants for repair, I like to think its entirely possible new breeds of AI have emerged from those systems that have basically been left running with nothing but tech cultists and people told by said tech cultists to drop and rub sacred oils on their gun! Some gear specifically display very AI like behaviors (such as the famous Crimson Fist Land Raider Rynn's Might that launched a one tank guerrilla war of revenge against orks after its crew was killed). As Magmar said, self thinking machines are very much taboo in 40k for humanity, but I like to think its entirely possible (and kind of adorable) that the automated systems have matured over the thousands of years they've been left on to become something more and because of all the love and praise the humans give them, have decided to bond with humanity.

Plus I have a funny image of a cop show in the 40K universe:

He's a Techmarine, trained in the esoteric arts of the Adeptus Mechanicus

He's a Rhino APC with ATTITUDE!

They fight crime in the grimdarkness of the far future in the hive spire New Neo Nu Nuevo York

*Edit* And as I read what I wrote, I just realized I basically imagine the machines in the Imperium of either already being, or are capable of being like the Tachikoma from Ghost in the Shell.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 22, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So I know we've discusses a lot of GW's decisions and how they've usually been bad, so piggybacking off that...

If they never want to advance the timeline or give Chaos a major win that could alter the balance crazily when they do players events, who don't they just pick a random point in time (oh I don't know anytime after the Horus Heresy and a bit before M41) and a random quadrant in space and go "Okay, major conflict here, almost all the factions, and then some time displaced Tau and Tyrannids. Have at it! Tyrannids and Tau, wow? Warp-storms, our main fiat to do anything. Okay we're running this for one month with some pre-gen scenarios, go down to your local game shop, play and report, and we'll make a cool mini-story about this war basedo n results and we mean it this time since there is little risk to us and we have no reason to gently caress up the reporting since this is all thousands of years in the 40k past. Maybe we'll have one of our good BL writers like Abnett, Mitchell, and or The ADB make a mini-book/follow up on it if its popular enough. got it? Cool! Go at it and have fun and at the end of it maybe we can do an event to launch some new models. Go!"

It seems to me, doing cool events like this keeps the universe chugging along since you can have interesting "micro" campaigns across various points in the galaxy at random times and places. For the Tau and Tyrannids since they canonically appear later in the universe, just have some of that weird time displacement, the Imperium and the galaxy has such lovely record keeping I honestly wouldn't be surprised if whole fleets and armies haven't appeared at one time or another to fight everyone and vanish. You still get the "no past 41M advancement, but you can then have campaigns where any player could win and it won't change the main outcome of the story so far since you'd have thousands of years separating the event, and if it proved popular enough, next codex or rule rewrite it could be fluffed in as a "newly uncovered administratum/eldar scroll record or something.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but something like that seems like a fantastic way for GW to have its cake and it too while giving the players a fun experience.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Night10194 posted:

And thus to become a walking example of why you never, ever do this.

I imagine the Black Templars smugly pointing at The Kyras Incident for millennia and going "SEE. SEE! SEEEEEE!"

Followed by 'WHERE DID MY SQUIRE GO, HE WAS HERE A MINUTE AGO WITH MY EXTREMELY VALUABLE SWORD.'

They also steal their enemies! None are safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Onmi posted:

EDIT: I did finally beat the map by forgoing everything and hammering "Auto-Build" for Assault Marines, and just swarming. Which I dislike, I don't want to necessarily have to swarm to win.

Play 'Nids, that the whole strategy there :)

• Locked thread