Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yes yesssssssss thank you op

pram posted:

amazon is not a technology company. see thats where you're all confused. theyre not google, theyre walmart
walmart is a technology company fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm gonna try to start using jet a little more, the first order came no problem and the prices are the same or better

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

amazon is not a technology company. see thats where you're all confused. theyre not google, theyre walmart

google isn't a technology company either, they're an advertising company

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
actually "technology" as this narrow thing that involves moving elecrons around is a fake idea

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Gazpacho posted:

actually "technology" as this narrow thing that involves moving elecrons around is a fake idea

yeah, you'd think that if someone said "technology companies" you'd probably think, like, boeing or steel production or something, or GE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple isn't a technogy company it's a fashion house for gadgets

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

north america doesn't have cities, just large suburbs.

uhh

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://amazork.com/

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

quote:

orbital fulfilment centers with ballistic delivery systems

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Awia posted:

i buy toilet paper online because i cannot leave my house for any reason

do you work from home for amazon

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

echinopsis posted:

apple isn't a technogy company it's a fashion house for gadgets

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
amazon sends me affiliate money every month for a blog post i wrote a couple years ago full of referral links. it got posted in the sidebar of a subreddit, getting me a lot of traffic. i havent updated it in over 2 years and i still get $100-200/mo from it. last decemberi got $460. it owns.

thamazon

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Almost all the people in that article are wealthy and could get another well paying job if they wanted, so this isn't even the worst thing about Amazon. I hope they do a part two about the warehouse employees.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

Almost all the people in that article are wealthy and could get another well paying job if they wanted, so this isn't even the worst thing about Amazon. I hope they do a part two about the warehouse employees.
there's already been a bunch of reports about that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

there's already been a bunch of reports about that

They weren't on the frotn page of the nyt though

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

makes you think

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Because no one gives a poo poo about warehouse employees.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Jeff Bezos pegs employees

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

poty posted:

do you work from home for amazon

help, if i dont constantly commit to the project git i get downvoted by my coworkers, i havent eaten for a week

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
create a bot that automatically commits at randomized intervals

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

most north american cities built after the invention of mass-produced automobiles are poo poo

not poo poo cities in north america include:
nyc
toronto
chicago
probably a bunch of small cities people forget about on the east coast
mexico city maybe? idk

but yeah i don't get amazon prime now, there's nothing i need within an hour that i can't get just by walking to the grocery store that is less than 0.1 miles away

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
id use amazon to get a work visa and then start looking elsewhere

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i often order things from amazon because i can't find them locally

this mostly includes dumb bullshit like screws of a specific size and computer hardware that ends up being cheaper on amazon than newegg

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
honestly these people deserve to be treated like poo poo, as do most white collar workers

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

most north american cities built after the invention of mass-produced automobiles are poo poo

nyc
toronto
chicago
probably a bunch of small cities people forget about on the east coast
mexico city maybe? idk

but yeah i don't get amazon prime now, there's nothing i need within an hour that i can't get just by walking to the grocery store that is less than 0.1 miles away

lotta lazy people who don't want to carry poo poo to their door.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

RBC posted:

honestly these people deserve to be treated like poo poo, as do most white collar workers
you'd have a point if amazons management were merely harsh, but it is also tremendously counterproductive

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wow with those kinds of working conditions they really should talk to their union rep and renegotiate their contract to ensure they aren't being exploited

*buffalo bill voice* oh wait

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

nyc
toronto
chicago

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
chicago is unrelentingly terrible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chicago cold

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

wow with those kinds of working conditions they really should talk to their union rep and renegotiate their contract to ensure they aren't being exploited

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Chicago TV I enjoy

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pittsburgh

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

:ins:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

no you see unionization would be bad for it workers because and also and furthermore

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Gazpacho posted:

you'd have a point if amazons management were merely harsh, but it is also tremendously counterproductive

actually sounds like its been tremendously productive and successful, unlike having your employees sitting around posting on internet forums on company time

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol the apologists are already arriving

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

The guidelines conjure an empire of elite workers (principle No. 5: “Hire and develop the best”) who hold one another to towering expectations and are liberated from the forces — red tape, office politics — that keep them from delivering their utmost.
yeah by creating the most politically toxic environment possible

gj, bezos, you rand cock sucking robot

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

pointsofdata posted:

actually the article includes multiple paragraphs about how almost everyone bails for a better job and people only really stay because amazon withholds bonuses if you leave in the first two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
That isn't true, there are devs who stay for years. I remember one in particular who had his name on one small but useful piece of tech but otoh I hated him because he was always a few cubes over from me loudly shootin the poo poo with bros or playing with a toy helicopter or watching sports videos while I was frantically fighting fires. On the table in front of me are the very same noise canceling headphones I went out and bought on company time so I wouldn't hear him goofing around

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 16, 2015

• Locked thread