Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

kwinkles posted:

what and have a person see me buying them in the store?

"more wet wipes, Mr. Kwinkles. me thinks you'd best see a doctor" jeff chuckled to himself as he browsed the order history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

wait wait wait, an upfront bonus that you have to pay back if you leave before two years? i don't think that's a bonus.

what happens if you don't pay it back? they'll send collections (lol) after you? oh no, the horror

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

the last place i worked had to ban alcohol onsite when a programmer got too drunk one breakfast and threw his chair out a window
this wasnt a startup or anything, this was a very large european company that produced very important things

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

wait wait wait, an upfront bonus that you have to pay back if you leave before two years? i don't think that's a bonus.

Yeah, it's a pathetic and naked attempt to trap people into improving their turnover numbers.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

born on a buy you posted:

isn't the trick there to get fired?

i could be completely wrong but i thought the bonus had to be returned under any cause of no longer being employed

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

triple sulk posted:

i could be completely wrong but i thought the bonus had to be returned under any cause of no longer being employed

what if you don't return it? or when negotiating your employment contract you cross those bits out? I'd just go lol nope and get another job.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they will probably just start a collection and ruin your credit

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

yeah gently caress trying to weasel the money out of them

how big of a bonuns are we talking here

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what if i just dont pay it :smug: i bet this giant retail corporation never thought about ways to collect debts :smuggo:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Awia posted:

i buy toilet paper online because i cannot leave my house for any reason
same

i can't leave the house until the delivery arrives so i can wipe and put my pants back on

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

pram posted:

that would really suck for them, especially if i just ran back to canada, seeing as my credit in america wouldn't matter very much then.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Valeyard posted:

probably like 15-25k i'm guessing

pram
Jun 10, 2001

slush posted:

that would really suck for them, especially if i just ran back to canada, seeing as my credit in america wouldn't matter very much then.

:downsbravo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id like to see them collect.... when im DEAD :skeltal:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Valeyard posted:

hundreds of thousands if you're not an idiot. note that you can get a matching offer from competitors that have a vesting schedule instead of giving it to you up front with a return clause

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

triple sulk posted:

probably like 15-25k i'm guessing

lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

hundreds of thousands if you're not an idiot. note that you can get a matching offer from competitors that have a vesting schedule instead of giving it to you up front with a return clause

Jesus

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

born on a buy you posted:

isn't the trick there to get fired?

that was my understanding

one of my previous employers let my predecessor get away w/ murder due to a moving bonus

apparently they made it like 8 months of doin almost nothing before management got around to the termination and then free $7k or something like that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

let me qualify that: from 0.5 to 3x your annual salary, depending on a lot of factors and what you're walking away from at your previous job. but don't worry, I'm sure you won't use that to immediately buy a condo and then be indentured to amazon.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i have never heard of a 60-200k signing bonus unless you're including stocks or some poo poo. if that's the case then i'm not surprised they'd want the money back

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

then again 60k is like 10k in sf

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Management posted:

:stare:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

So you're trapped working there to effectively pay off a debt, didn't get any real time off when you had a baby, and have started drinking more? And that is with a good boss and successful start?

basically yes, but I'm looking at this from the point of view where I'm not living and working in Mexico. This is still a major improvement for me!

I do want to clarify that I could have taken unpaid leave for up to 6 months, but lol at having a new mouth to feed and no money to do it with.

Also the bonus was 25k, 25k, then stocks worth 50k start vesting after the 2 year period.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at sticking out a year for $25k

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its me, I'm the computer toucher where 25k is a sizable portion of my annual income. lmao.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
that was my yearly salary before :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but in mexico $25,000 is a deece six figges (peso)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Janitor Prime posted:

that was my yearly salary before :(

facebook interns make 3x as much as you during a summer

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

an extra 25k would almost get me out of debt, so i'd consider it. :shobon:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
i'm probably miss reading the market then if everyone else thinks getting140 K in Seattle outside of Amazon and Microsoft is realistic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Janitor Prime posted:

i'm probably miss reading the market then if everyone else thinks getting140 K in Seattle outside of Amazon and Microsoft is realistic

cash up front or stock over time?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jony neuemonic posted:

an extra 25k would almost get me out of debt, so i'd consider it. :shobon:

it's ~13-15k after taxes, bonuses are crappy because there's an immediate 25% to the IRS on top of other stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

it's ~13-15k after taxes, bonuses are crappy because there's an immediate 25% to the IRS on top of other stuff

bonuses are taxed as any other income, its just that since its tacked on top of your normal salary the bonus will always be withheld at your maximum incremental rate. its not crappy because its exactly the same as any other additional income you'd get

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

bonuses are taxed as any other income, its just that since its tacked on top of your normal salary the bonus will always be withheld at your maximum incremental rate. its not crappy because its exactly the same as any other additional income you'd get

it depends how the company does it but unless you have a million deductions you're lucky to keep 70%

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
just work for a bank, they know how to game the system for you

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
a company paid to move me to arizona and we had 1 year stay oan requirement. we all spent the last 6 months trying to get fired/laid off because it was absolutely terrible

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

it depends how the company does it but unless you have a million deductions you're lucky to keep 70%

no poo poo, if your withholding is close to your actual tax cost then you've already taken into account your deductions and credits so you're going to have to withhold from your bonus whatever your current marginal bracket is in. so if you're single and make $37k-91k then yes it'll be 25%, on the income 28% above 91k and below $189k

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

no poo poo, if your withholding is close to your actual tax cost then you've already taken into account your deductions and credits so you're going to have to withhold from your bonus whatever your current marginal bracket is in. so if you're single and make $37k-91k then yes it'll be 25%, on the income 28% above 91k and below $189k

I know this, it just seems that a lot of otherwise smart people see "25k!" and their eyes light up like they won the lottery when it's basically a loan that lowers your salary

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qirex posted:

I know this, it just seems that a lot of otherwise smart people see "25k!" and their eyes light up like they won the lottery when it's basically a loan that lowers your salary

good point.

i mean, it's all academic for me anyway since no one in town even does signing bonuses. still a good point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
http://www.theonion.com/article/jef...eview:1:Default

• Locked thread