Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://qz.com/482080/dear-jeff-bezos-i-wish-you-had-asked-for-my-feedback-sooner/

from the wife of the dude who apparently came up with the idea of not dumping untested code (i.e. all of it) into the warehouses from octobber to january

quote:

Eventually, my husband’s team was whittled down to himself, his manager and just one other developer. This meant he was expected to be on-call every three weeks. “Our” all-time record was 64 different pages, mostly answered outside of business hours. As his one-woman pit crew, it was my responsibility to wake up with him when he was paged in the middle of the night, to pull over somewhere on the highway to find him WiFi if he was paged on the road, and to make sure that our lives never involved traveling anywhere more than 15 minutes from an internet connection.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
sounds like a good deal for a decent six figs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

RBC posted:

sounds like a good deal for a decent six figs
have i got good news for you! there's an opening in my old team

("fault-tolerant" lmao)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i dont touch computers at my job i do real work

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

RBC posted:

i do real work

lmao sounds like a lovely way to make money

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Valeyard posted:

yeah gently caress trying to weasel the money out of them

how big of a bonuns are we talking here

The one employee we had poached by them was supposedly offered 45k straight up signing with another 45k in stock that vested after two years.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

TerminalRaptor posted:

The one employee we had poached by them was supposedly offered 45k straight up signing with another 45k in stock that vested after two years.

They're on to something with offering huge signing bonuses that you only get if you stay double the amount of time of the average employee.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
companies should publish the average tenure of employees when they quit. amazon is growing fast so that number is pretty misleading

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

like i don't doubt that amazon is a horrible company to work for, but i'd take a huge signing bonus and the salary to go with it and coast through 2 years there and then leave

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Ludwig van Halen posted:

like i don't doubt that amazon is a horrible company to work for, but i'd take a huge signing bonus and the salary to go with it and coast through 2 years there and then leave

divide total salary + signing bonus by the amount of overtime you're expected to work and it ends up not being good money.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get paid to count in fives

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i get amazon recruiters emailing me with an absolutely dismal, half-baked, no-effort LinkedIn profile so if you really wanna spend two years as Bezos' bitch for a signing bonus it's probably not that hard

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the amazon interview is a waste of time. i did it for aws solutions architect and it was like, 8 hours. and then they offered me a job 3 months later when i already accepted something else gg :bravo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
same with rackspace. wtf is with companies and all day interviews

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

companies should publish the average tenure of employees when they quit. amazon is growing fast so that number is pretty misleading
To the extent that they "don't do those things anymore" I expect its because newer teams are run somewhat competently, whereas the oldest groups, with non user facing code that originally ran on hpux, have been condemned to an eternal sysiphean nightmare

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

pram posted:

same with rackspace. wtf is with companies and all day interviews

have you had the fun multiday interview yet? in person just q/a with various teams day 1. tech/coding exercises day 2 with various people. then a take home long form coding exercise day 3. had a local start up ask if i was willing to engage in that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no but lol at the hubris

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

born on a buy you posted:

have you had the fun multiday interview yet? in person just q/a with various teams day 1. tech/coding exercises day 2 with various people. then a take home long form coding exercise day 3. had a local start up ask if i was willing to engage in that

why yes, my time is completely worthless.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

pram posted:

no but lol at the hubris

i'm curious if anyone actually does it or if the reply is always "lol no" like mine was

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

born on a buy you posted:

divide total salary + signing bonus by the amount of overtime you're expected to work and it ends up not being good money.

idk i would think that if you have no intention of sticking around you wouldn't feel compelled to put forth much effort
just enough to not get fired i guess, but idk how much leeway you have there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The sf fed interviewed me for a day then took a month to decide whether to go another round (they didn't)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gazpacho posted:

To the extent that they "don't do those things anymore" I expect its because newer teams are run somewhat competently, whereas the oldest groups, with non user facing code that originally ran on hpux, have been condemned to an eternal sysiphean nightmare

well, fc systems was the page-you-very-two-hours constant rewrite joke when i was looking to join in '05 and a few years afterwards. now it's been turned around. i hear good things about aws and the kessel project too. kindle is legacy now and digital a little messed up. retail probably sucks too. so, hit or miss

really what the article and all the discussion don't mention is it all comes down to your manager. if they suck you will be miserable because they won't

- fend off incoming poo poo from other teams
- maintain focus for your team to minimize priority and feature churn
- listen to you when you say you need to pay off tech debt or adjust dates or whatever

and most importantly

- rep you well during review time

having a pushover manager means you'll never get good reviews. if they don't put in a good promo doc for you, likewise you will never be promoted. finding a good manager is the number one success differentiator at amazon and it's basically out of your hands lol. afaik there's basically no training for managers to improve either. some dev wants to climb the pole and switches roles and then good luck.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

pram posted:

then they offered me a job 3 months later when i already accepted something else gg :bravo:

this poo poo dumb as gently caress. yeah lemme wait months in a world where silence means no

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
a while back i was interviewing for a marketing director role and they sent me a 'test' that was basically "put together an end to end marketing campaign for [their just announced but way far out] game with a budget of $X, using real world agencies, ideas, timelines and events!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Beast of Bourbon posted:

a while back i was interviewing for a marketing director role and they sent me a 'test' that was basically "put together an end to end marketing campaign for [their just announced but way far out] game with a budget of $X, using real world agencies, ideas, timelines and events!"

how many rare pepes did you send them

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Beast of Bourbon posted:

plz dont post my entire business model

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

well, fc systems was the page-you-very-two-hours constant rewrite joke when i was looking to join in '05 and a few years afterwards. now it's been turned around. i hear good things about aws and the kessel project too. kindle is legacy now and digital a little messed up. retail probably sucks too. so, hit or miss

really what the article and all the discussion don't mention is it all comes down to your manager. if they suck you will be miserable because they won't

- fend off incoming poo poo from other teams
- maintain focus for your team to minimize priority and feature churn
- listen to you when you say you need to pay off tech debt or adjust dates or whatever

and most importantly

- rep you well during review time

having a pushover manager means you'll never get good reviews. if they don't put in a good promo doc for you, likewise you will never be promoted. finding a good manager is the number one success differentiator at amazon and it's basically out of your hands lol. afaik there's basically no training for managers to improve either. some dev wants to climb the pole and switches roles and then good luck.

this is true to some extent in all companies. but the worse the culture is, the more it matters.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many rare pepes did you send them

none but i just copied their closest competitors marketing plan as best as I could tell since it was the least amount of effort. sent it in, never heard back, they're in a tail spin getting killed in the press. still don't have a marketing director or any marketing people. they have a VP though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
lol most people at Amazon don't even know kessel is a thing. dont jeopardize fuzzy wife like that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
great timing guy

quote:

Good morning fuzzy! recruiter foo here with Amazon Recruiting. It’s great to eMeet you and I hope this email finds you well!

I’ve recently joined the team and am leading recruitment efforts for a new “special projects” group based here in Seattle. The team is working on next generation consumer devices/platforms, focused in areas like augmented reality, computer vision, machine learning, etc. The organization is led by Babak Parviz.

I’m currently seeking audio/visual/streaming content Software talent to join the team. I’m curious to know if you are in the market and considering new opportunities. If so, I’d love to hop on a 15-20 minute call to learn more about your background. Drop me a line and let me know if you’d like to learn more.

I hope you have a great week!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

always send a rare pepe

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol like any of these companies are worth breaking out the top shelf pepes

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
also I'm pretty sure I've met fuzzy wife. what did she think of stephs bit in the nytimes article?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
she didn't like the 'authorized to say something by the company' rider on every quote i think.

these are showing up around town now

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

she didn't like the 'authorized to say something by the company' rider on every quote i think.

that did strike me as odd as well, but on the other hand it probably should be noted that their comments are praising for a reason..

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

refleks posted:

such a convoluted solution to a problem. amazon just removed the toilets from its office...

http://pastebin.com/7RpXneAV

e: ^^ Quirex !

i guess at amazon you're just always expected to be full of poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i guess at amazon you're just always expected to be full of poo poo

http://i.imgur.com/tTrTFfb.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram