Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

The sf fed interviewed me for a day then took a month to decide whether to go another round (they didn't)

a uk gov agency has ads all over my stackoverflow, and has done for the past year. apparently they are struggling to hire tech people. imo it's because the hiring process takes 6mths to a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pointsofdata posted:

a uk gov agency has ads all over my stackoverflow, and has done for the past year. apparently they are struggling to hire tech people. imo it's because the hiring process takes 6mths to a year

GCHQ?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
how meny employees have bezos hosed

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
he's poz'd many a neg hole by now, surely

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lol yeah you'd think it would be easy for them to find applicants. they've got a flashy new website now http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/apply-now.html

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

target price matches amazon so i just go there for same day delivery

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

jeff is a very unchill dude considering his last name is almost benzos

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

http://business.financialpost.com/executive/management-hr/the-ruthless-jeff-bezos-amazon-culture-would-never-fly-in-canada-and-thats-a-shame

:qq: why can't OUR companies grind employees into a fine paste too? :qq:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

New clickhole reskin looks weird

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I've interviewed at places that did the 2-day interview, but they were mostly hiring fresh college grads for way more than fresh college grads usually make, and they at least had the courtesy to buy everyone a fancy dinner and put them in a nice hotel. And give you a yes or no within a week. Who in the hell is doing 3 day interviews with homework? That's absurd and anybody but the most desperate wannabe junior devs should be giving them the bird on the way out the door.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lmao what an ape

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I've interviewed at places that did the 2-day interview, but they were mostly hiring fresh college grads for way more than fresh college grads usually make, and they at least had the courtesy to buy everyone a fancy dinner and put them in a nice hotel. And give you a yes or no within a week. Who in the hell is doing 3 day interviews with homework? That's absurd and anybody but the most desperate wannabe junior devs should be giving them the bird on the way out the door.

what do these places do for people that already work at a company

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I actually prefer homework-based interviews. It gives me time to collect my thoughts and I'll also be able to go into the interview more confident in what I'm gonna talk about.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

I actually prefer homework-based interviews. It gives me time to collect my thoughts and I'll also be able to go into the interview more confident in what I'm gonna talk about.

I assume they meant post interview homework

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

she didn't like the 'authorized to say something by the company' rider on every quote i think.

these are showing up around town now

as a sociopath i find this public shaming offensive

we are partially people too you know

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

pointsofdata posted:

lol yeah you'd think it would be easy for them to find applicants. they've got a flashy new website now http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/apply-now.html
they have trouble finding applicants because if you're a talented developer/mathematician you can >double your money working in finance or bigtech

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

theflyingexecutive posted:

target price matches amazon so i just go there for same day delivery

is Target any better in terms of how it treats its employees overall. I worked there for one (1) week before I got a job at the Census Bureau and I'm gonna hazard a big fat "no"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

they have trouble finding applicants because if you're a talented developer/mathematician you can >double your money working in finance or bigtech

Yuuup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

indigi posted:

is Target any better in terms of how it treats its employees overall. I worked there for one (1) week before I got a job at the Census Bureau and I'm gonna hazard a big fat "no"

you have air conditioning and bathrooms at target

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

indigi posted:

I worked there in high school and everyone was nice, so it's probably a store by store thing (tbf, I didn't care then that I was making minimum wage)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

what do these places do for people that already work at a company

Pay fresh college grads 6 figures and not be in the bay area. At least for the place I decided to work.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BOZOSPOS

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

indigi posted:

I know people who work(ed) at corp and it's a normal big company environment full of normal adult human beings with lives outside of work

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

oh but they also contract or outsorce a lot of their development

so does Best Buy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i'd imagine that they wouldn't be doing enough development in specific areas to necessitate a full time development staff of experts in that area

but i suspect that they're outsourcing it to someone in india, not minneapolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

both, actually

last I looked into it I'd have to work for Accenture to work at BB

dunno who Target goes through

• Locked thread