Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

id use amazon to get a work visa and then start looking elsewhere

ding ding ding, but gotta stay for two year or else I have to pay back the signing and relocation bonuses (just one year for relo but that signing bonus is sweet and totally worth a second year). Luckily I might even get my green card by then.

I've been here 7 months and it's been alright, I can see myself growing professionally here and then moving on. The work is neat and my team seems decent, but I really don't feel valued as an employee.

When I joined the team I was hired on (team A) needed a huge feature developed but there was already another team (B) in the company that did it but didn't have the bandwidth to develop all the changes it required. At amazon they do this thing where they will loan a dev to another team for a few weeks/months to develop the feature they want on the other teams platform. The dev will move to sit with the other team and interact with them and generally be a part of the team.

I launched that huge project on time while ramping up on all the Amazon internal tools and that early success was seen by upper-upper management. Using that same tool my coworkers on team B gave me praise and I was given an award at an all hands meeting in front of lots of senior people. Luckily this project launched right before my son was born, and per Amazon's policy on paternity leave and not having accrued enough PTO to even take 2 weeks off I felt trapped. Luckily both managers were chill and I just told manager B I'd be working from home while wrapping up that project. I was basically on call for those two weeks and dealt with little things that came up post launch here and there but it was fine and nothing that really took time away from helping my wife with baby. In retrospect I really needed a month off since we were alone up here and had no help from friends or family.

After that project was over I was supposed to go back to team A, but manager B didn't want to lose me so they had this internal tug of war where hey kept delaying me from returning by saying I need to wrap up more stuff from the original project and my original manager from team A wouldn't really say poo poo about when I would come back. I got stuck writing automation tests and didn't really have any new projects assigned since I was going to leave at any moment. I was in limbo for like two months and I felt a lot of anxiety not knowing what was happening but on the plus side it was a nice break since I was being paid a poo poo load to write simple tests and under no deadlines or expectations to perform.

Eventually both managers asked me if I had a preference for staying on one team or another and I told them I'd rather stay on team B. From what I'd seen of team A it had way to many programming divas and the work they were doing just wasn't as interesting to me. Also I had already worked with Team B for 6 months and the guys liked me so it seemed like a better fit.

Anyways that's my story so far, looking back I can't really complain (except for the lack of toilets, that shits inexcusable and pisses me off everyday, the worst was whenI had to go down 7 floors). I like Seattle and I feel that my family is doing great here, but my wife has noticed that I'm drinking a lot more now. I'm still convinced it's a fun new hobby trying all these exotic micro brews! this is Stockholm syndrome right? send help

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

Are you sure about the 2 year thing? If I quit after my first year I have to pay back my signing bonus and relocation benefit (prorated to the day). In the second year it's paid out monthly instead of up-front. Definitely don't need to stay for 2 years - just 1.

this sounds right but year 2 bonus is worth it imo

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

So you're trapped working there to effectively pay off a debt, didn't get any real time off when you had a baby, and have started drinking more? And that is with a good boss and successful start?

basically yes, but I'm looking at this from the point of view where I'm not living and working in Mexico. This is still a major improvement for me!

I do want to clarify that I could have taken unpaid leave for up to 6 months, but lol at having a new mouth to feed and no money to do it with.

Also the bonus was 25k, 25k, then stocks worth 50k start vesting after the 2 year period.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
that was my yearly salary before :(

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
i'm probably miss reading the market then if everyone else thinks getting140 K in Seattle outside of Amazon and Microsoft is realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

I actually prefer homework-based interviews. It gives me time to collect my thoughts and I'll also be able to go into the interview more confident in what I'm gonna talk about.

I assume they meant post interview homework

• Locked thread