Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The dub has british Crispin Freeman and this is the best.

The sub is also the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A bit late but I finished Umasou. It was a great choice! It didn't come up with any easy answers so for a kid's movie that's cool.

Even without the emotional side of things it would have still been a fun watch. The dinosaur training montage was rad as hell, and the action could get rather vicious.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched the film (WAIT IT WAS AN OVA YOU COULDN'T EVEN KEEP TO THE THREAD TITLE FOR 2 WEEKS!!!). it was a fun ride. i think comparisons to james bond are easily made so i'll name something else i was reminded of. Metal Slug. the mechanical monstrosity that was the set for most of episode 3 had very much in common with the machines that make up much of metal slugs terrain and bosses. it was an odd choice to base all of the opponents but one of historical figures, why not just make him sun wukong instead of some other made up figure?

is the series worth watching? im guessing not

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Read or Die OVA was one of the first anime I ever really got into and the first series I actually paid money to own (I think).

I've been meaning to rewatch it so definitely expect a big ol' post about it when I do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

is the series worth watching? im guessing not

I haven't seen it since it first aired like 11 years ago but I remember enjoying it. It's comparatively slow with a lot of it focused around three three sisters daily lives, the action is cool when happens but sparse. The most interesting part is that it shows The Library in a ruthless much less favourable light.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ROD the TV is okay but not on the level of the OVAs in terms of either story or action. Like I really wish it was a one cour show.

Sakurazuka posted:

The most interesting part is that it shows The Library in a ruthless much less favourable light.

I thought the OVA made Joker out to be a dick, but I've watched the series more recently so that might be it. I have to find my DVD before I can rewatch the OVA though...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Joker looks like he's about to snap throughout the last episode of the OAV but other than that he's mostly just portrayed as the typical calm and collected leader.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, after Lensman next week we're doing Patema Inverted which is a fairly recent licensed movie so I'm giving plenty of notice for people who want to acquire the DVD/BD.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
I think I'll sit out Patema Inverted. It's a neat piece and I had the chance to watch it sometime last year. Of course seeing other people's impressions and observations will be great.
As for Read or Die, it was pretty compact. I remember hearing about the spy aspect but not the clones of historical figures and science-y powers outside of paper powers. All in all, it was an enjoyable ride.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm Readman irl.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her panting in the last one is adorable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brush your hair Yomiko.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I watched it this evening. It was as good as I remember it went I first saw it on Adult Swim.

Except for the music...that was even better than I remembered! The main theme was what really stuck in my mind, but really all of it is outstanding.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm going to watch this on friday. That's my pledge

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool. It's good!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This just went a little too fast for me plotwise.

Although the paper airplane thing and some of the fights were cool as heck.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Readman is the cutest.

My only problem with this was the relationship between the bad guy and Nancy. Or really just the bad guy at all. It didn't really feel like his motivation or backstory was really there at all. Other than that I really enjoyed this. Readman is a really great character. She's kind of meek and messy but still competent. It's cool to see a character with powers use them mostly in a defensive way until they really need to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nancy's relationship with the bad guy was definitely the weakest part of the show and I never really liked how that resolved itself in the OAV. The other Nancy does get some resolution in the TV series I think, but it's been a long time so I'm not 100% sure.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

On that note the next two weeks features will be:

Read or Die OAV starting 22nd August

Lensman starting 29th August

Both have been licensed in the past but are now out of print as far as I can tell, if anyone knows any different please let me know.

RoD is a three part OAV but all three parts only total 90 minutes.

Oh hey. Guess this means Lensman is up now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, sorry, my day so far has been taken up by MGS V and screaming children (not at the same time) so I haven't had chance to do a write up yet.

Lensman is cool, it's like 80's anime Star Wars on drugs directed by the guy who did Wicked City and Ninja Scroll. There are really bad but in an endearing sort of way early CGI bits too.

For ages the only version available was the Streamline dub which was actually pretty decent but someone recently subtitled the laserdisc version so it's going to be the first time I've ever watched it in Japanese. It's never had a DVD or BD release because the production company has been stuck in a legal battle with EE Doc Smith's (the original author) estate for years.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 30, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still need to get that and RoD so I can watch them both; my internet has been too lovely this past week to do much downloading. Lensman will be totally new to me but I'm familiar with Kawajiri's other stuff so it should be fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's different from his usual stuff since it's fairly family friendly, it still looks like one of his films though, lots of scenes with one predominant colour for example.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay I'm fed up enough of sucking at MGS V to do a proper write up.

Lensman!

A rare anime based on a western source, Lensman is a1985 adaptation of one of E.E. 'Doc' Smith's pulpy 50's Galactic Patrol novels, which are often sited as one of the many inspirations for Star Wars. In fact the film is pretty much anime Star Wars, down to the hero starting out as a farmer on a back water planet, but it's also anime and that means Star Was crashed into an (actually literal) disco full of LSD. It was famous 90's movie/OAV director Yoshitaka Kawajiri's first feature film in his usual role but lacks the tits 'n gore that would be a trademark of most of his later stuff. It does have his distinctive style though, his love of shooting scenes with a single predominant colour and fluid action scenes are already developed here.

There are a couple of downsides though, obviously it's an old film and thanks to an unresolved legal battle there has never been a DVD or BD release, and so looks it even more. For ages there was only rips of the dubbed VHS but very recently someone has ripped the subbed laserdisc version, which I am going to watch for the first time. The other problem is the CGI. Yes, in a movie from 1985. Someone decided that since Tron was popular around that time they needed to get in on the action and created a few sequences using the same Cray supercomputers that were used to generate the game world in Tron. If I'm being generous they look nicely surreal in a chunky sort of way but obviously don't mesh very well with the mostly hand drawn animation.

It's not a deep movie in any way but has plenty space shootouts, planet shootouts and assorted weird goopy aliens and the last thing it is is boring.

Other than an incredibly rare laserdisc it hasn't been in print since the Streamline dub VHS from the 90's so grab it wherever you want. The dub is surprisingly decent for its time and I would be watching that, since that's the version I have nostalgia for, except that I've never seen it in its original language, so I'm going to try that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The torrent for the laserdisc version has an insane amount of cool poo poo in it, like CG tech demos, tv footage of the band that plays the theme song and even an American comic based on the movie.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A little behind but I'm watching Read or Die tonight. One episode down; I forgot what a pit her apartment was haha. This OVA is a cautionary tale against hoarding behavior.

I remember this being more fun to watch the first time around tbh. It was good to revisit but I dunno if I wasn't in the right mood or my tastes have changed or if the dated look was putting me off but I had to force myself to start the last episode.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 3, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Her apartment looks a bit like my house. :sweatdrop: One neat detail is the post-it notes left all over the place are from a friend of hers that doesn't turn up in the OAV but is a major character in the TV series. For ages I assumed it was just her leaving notes for herself.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I am now going to catch up, by watching ROD. I watched it a good decade ago and recall thinking that it was just alright, so I'm interested to discover why folks like it!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm going to watch this on friday. That's my pledge

i didn't. this friday though!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
From the OP alone, this is cooler than I remember it being.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Some kind of Japanese cowboy riding a giant grasshopper? OK.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Deeps will always be my favorite part of ROD, both OVA and TV. I've got Lensman ready and will probably start it tomorrow...though I dunno if it's laserdisc.

Sakurazuka posted:

Her apartment looks a bit like my house. :sweatdrop: One neat detail is the post-it notes left all over the place are from a friend of hers that doesn't turn up in the OAV but is a major character in the TV series. For ages I assumed it was just her leaving notes for herself.

I watched the two so far apart this only occurred to me when you pointed it out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it has subtitles it'll be the laserdisc version.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is fun! Did Past_Cantaloupe hate engrish or something?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Miss Deep is braiding Yomiko's hair :3:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's both cute and important!

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
I haven't gotten to Lensman yet, but I will soonish. Balancing MGSV among other things. :sweatdrop:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

That's both cute and important!

Yes!

This was fun the whole way through. I'm not certain what younger me disliked about it; I know I watched both this and the tv series, so perhaps there's something to that which dragged them both down in my mind. I know something about the character designs bothered me back in the day, but whatever that was, I no longer have any issue with them. The fights were fun, the villains varied and, considering how little screen time was available for them, interesting, and our heroes had good chemistry to their interactions. Whoever made this really liked clumsy girls.

Apparently, ten years ago I rated this... holy poo poo, 4/10??!!! Yeah, that's getting revised.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've just remembered that I was vaguely disappointed with ROD the first time I watched it but I'm not sure why. I don't think I'd come across Yomiko's particular character type before and maybe was expecting her to be more 'badass' than the only fights when she has to type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watched Lensman; I thought the fortress collapsing into buttholes was a nice touch.

Also really liked Kim's look in this scene and I'm glad someone made a gif so I didn't have to figure out how to do it myself.

• Locked thread