Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the Lensman novels were at least as big an inspiration on Star Wars as Hidden Fortress was.
They're super pulpy and the author had zero technical knowledge so you got stuff like the heroes smashing through the spaceship windows to fire at the bad guys like they were in a western. :v:

That's pretty awesome. Why didn't that happen in the movie, is what I want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm glancing through some of the bonus goodies, and I have seen the FUTURE.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just remembered I was going to mention that for anyone who has recently watched Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone and wondered what the post credits sequence was all about, watching The Secret of Mamo will explain all.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Every one of these so far has been something I've watched, but it's been fun rewatching some and seeing general reactions.

Like others, I think I liked the premise of Patema more than I enjoyed the actual story. Still think it's worth watching though, like Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Lensman doesn't age well, not awfully either, but it's not a standout. Not sure I'd put it on a list of recommends for people who hadn't seen it before.

Thanks for going to the effort, Sakurazuka!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo

Mamo (also known as The Mystery of Mamo and Lupin II vs. The Clones), released in 1978 simply as Lupin III, was the first ever Lupin feature film and, while superficially similar to the standard capers that would make up most of the franchise post-Cagliostro, it's also closer to the original manga featuring a less obviously heroic cast. In this Lupin is more of a letch, Goemon occasionally uses his sword on actual people and a pervading sense of 70's surreality tinges the whole production while still being never less than a fun movie. If you've seen the recent Mine Fujiko or Daisuke Jigen Gravestone it's very similar in tone to those.

The art style is pretty nice in a sketchy 70's sort of way and while hardly an animation your de force it has its moments.

Also the movie starts off with Lupin being hanged and Zenigata trying to stab his potentially undead corpse just to make sure.

Watch it.

Apparently there a Discotek DVD version out and it's streaming on Hulu but if you want to go the other route there's a very nice 1080p rip of the Japanese bluray release out there... somewhere.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fwiw, the Hulu version seems to be dub only. it's a pretty good dub so far, at least

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol this dub is so dated. The president of the United States sounds like George W Bush

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

woah, Lupin is a Nazi!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mamo is an adorable little doll man, I love it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sakurazuka, there should be a record of what movies have been watched when at the bottom of the OP, preferably with links to their introductory posts.

This will be the week I actually catch up rather than remaining one movie behind. I can feel it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, that's a good idea.

....I just realised the Umasou intro is lost forever because it was only in the op :/

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 14, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
drat, I knew I should have empty quoted every post you make just in case. Oh well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Okay, I'm caught up. Patema was...okay? Like I probably could've shut it off after the first half hour or so and gotten everything there was to get out of it. As others said, the unabashedly evil surface people really sour the movie, and the "twist" was hackneyed. I don't really get what the sky city was, and having the end just drop without some showing of societal change or scientific advancement bugged me.

I liked Mamo a lot more, though it didhave a dragged out ending. The animation was mostly solid and it had a real action movie feel. I'm not too familiar with Lupin as a whole, but judging against The Woman Called Fujiko Mine...the Fujiko in Mamo was really bad. She tricked Lupin, as usual, but seemed incapable of doing much of anything else on her own/for herself. There was something else that felt off, but I can't really place it right now. Looking forward to Srice's words on it though.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 15, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really sure what to think of Fujiko in Mamo, it's either just that it's a product of its time in regard to giving her little to do or they had the same problem with her that later features seem to have with Goemon, in that the story doesn't really have anything for him to do, but he's a main character and has to be there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After a busy week I finally got around to watching Mamo today :toot:

This is the third time I've seen this movie and much like the spirit of the movie (and a lot of Lupin in general) I am just gonna wing it and type everything as it comes to my mind.

I'd love to hear how they planned the movie. There wasn't much precedent to work with. With Cagliostro, Miyazaki made a formula that has been used and tweaked and retweaked by other directors so often over several decades that you can trace a lot of ideas within anime franchise movies to it. Mamo doesn't have that luxury. Mamo had to figure out what to do with a feature length film for a show that had been completely episodic.

And they sure went hog wild.

I like the localized title, since it feels more in line with what's going on in the movie. Originally it didn't have a subtitle in Japanese as it was the first Lupin film, but after subsequent films it was retitled "Lupin vs the Clones" which even ignoring the spoiler is a really lame title.

The opening heist in Egypt is pretty cool, and in a vacuum it could easily have been a Lupin episode on its own. Everything about it is classic Lupin, from the way Lupin and Jigen sneak past the laser alarm system to the way they use Goemon to make their escape.

Speaking of which, since Fujiko appears after that scene I figure I'll talk about her a bit. I really like her role in the first half of the movie. She tricks Lupin multiple times and that's standard fare, but my favorite character moment with her is how she refuses immortality after Lupin refuses it. She comments how she wouldn't want to see Lupin become old and ugly, but I believe she just treasures the weird relationship she has with Lupin and doesn't want to see it change.

It's a real shame that she becomes a real generic damsel in distress in the second half, and just goes along with Mamo. It's not even like her appearances in the old tv series; it wasn't uncommon to see her get captured in the tv series but she was capable of taking care of herself, and sometimes she'd be working together with the villain of the episode and her captivity is merely a trick to get Lupin to steal something she wants. If this were a modern Lupin special she'd still have some trick up her sleeve and whether or not it succeeded, it would be worlds better than just standing around and waiting for the plot to resolve itself.

The movie gets unusually violent by modern Lupin standards when Mamo has his henchmen chase after Lupin. It's not bloody but that helicopter guns down an entire crowd of people! That entire chase sequence is an amazing series of events that does a good job at showing just how powerful Mamo is, in that he will use an excessive amount of force and none of it will be traced back to him. And also afford to have someone drive the world's biggest semi :v:

Getting back to Fujiko, I love how genuinely pissed Jigen and Goemon are at Lupin falling for her tricks again. This has happened in other Lupin stuff as well of course, but here their anger feels quite real because it's not presented in an over the top way where you know they'll get back to being buddy-buddy with Lupin soon enough. Obviously you know that they'll be back to normal at the end of the movie, but it's a really nice touch that I appreciate.

As for Mamo himself, he's one of the most memorable villains the franchise has seen. He looks and sounds very distinctive, and until the end he always has the upper hand in ways that feel quite legitimate. Lupin sees through some of his tricks, but there are a few times where it's only a theory. If this were a modern Lupin special, there would be a bunch of expository dialogue about, say, the scene where Lupin and co see those images, so I appreciate that Lupin has his guess and it's up to the audience to believe him or not.

I'm not a big fan of the political aspect because it does get rather silly (See: the order to kill everyone involved with the Mamo case to cover everything up), but I do appreciate that it leads to that one shot of the comic ad in which Lupin is hanging out with DC superheroes. I feel like the US government being involved doesn't add much outside of making a lot of explosions happening to get the cast moving, and that bit of exposition with Jigen and Goemon.

Mamo being a big brain in the jar (complete with what appears to be psychic powers to push Lupin back?) is a bit over the top, but I don't mind because it leads to a real cool death scene.

There is a lot more to talk about, but I feel like I have rambled enough as is! I love this movie. It has its flaws, and it's rough as hell. But a lot of that roughness really gives it a distinct charm. And that really goes a long way. I've seen a bunch of Lupin tv specials over the years and some of them I can't for the life of me remember much about them, but there is so much about Mamo that I will never forget, because at its core it's a weird but very memorable movie to me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I took a bunch of pictures so now I am gonna share some of the shots I really liked in this movie. I dig the character designs for this movie (especially Goemon's, which stands out from his usual looks) and there's a lot of cool experimental shots where the characters get a bit exaggerated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think my favourite image of the movie is the giant brain floating off into space.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Finding out the guy that wrote this also wrote Branded to Kill makes this movie make so much more sense

Also, when Mamo jumps behind a keyboard to start shooting lasers it reminded me of Phantom of Paradise, which was apparently an inspiration

Parallax fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 20, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This week is going to be a free week for anyone to catch up if they want, mainly because I haven't slept properly for days and don't really feel like doing an effort post at the moment.
Porco Rosso will be next week and I'll pick out a couple of others at some point too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Catching up, starting with Patema.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It is already quite apparent who is the Disney villain y'all mentioned.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a gimmick, this flipping the camera and falling into the sky, but it's a good one. The music cutting out when Patema continued to call out was funny.

And now we're The Jetsons, I guess?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This world of wide-spaced Soviet apartment blocks and moving sidewalks is just bizarre. So far, I feel that the movie would have been better served with a cold, 1984-esque mastermind at the top of the fundamentalist regime rather than this frothing lunatic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
There's these weird black screen pauses every twenty-odd minutes. Like it was intended to be an OVA miniseries, or designed to be shown on TV.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
But they were the Inverse all along...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Its central gimmick was really cool, and Patema and Age were cute, but, as has been said, that villain was unnecessarily cartoonish. The whole thing didn't really seem to have much point to it, either. It just wants to make the audience go, "whoa... makes u think"

I liked it, overall. 7/10

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Mamo time.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I dig Jigen's English voice.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Haha, they just stole her car

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Mirage, or trap?

Trap.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hahaha, Lupin butt is funny.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And now for a Scooby-Doo chase scene.

....and Hitler????

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh poo poo it's one of the kids from Akira

Though I guess this predates Akira.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Ahahahaha, holy crap! Boobs, Zenigata, and candy. Oh, and Fujiko, and sex with Fujiko. The greatest mind of our age.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And AMERICA saves the day. gently caress yeah :patriot:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
We saw Goemon cut the blades off a helicopter an hour ago, and now a big guy in a steel suit is too much for him? Lame.

Wait, there's still 40 minutes in this?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, never mind, his head fell into pieces as soon as I unpaused. Still, 40 minutes? There's nothing left.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wait.... do they have to kill Hitler?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

We saw Goemon cut the blades off a helicopter an hour ago, and now a big guy in a steel suit is too much for him? Lame.

Wait, there's still 40 minutes in this?

This is my main problem with the film, in that it feels like it could totally end there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I do like where the overly long ending goes, though

• Locked thread