Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Theoretically, if I recorded the only existing full playthrough of the PSP Bomberman title in the form of a Longplay for this thread, could I post it here or would I need to jabber over it for it to qualify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

It would qualify only as a longplay. You can do that if you want, but the point of the megathread was to get more Bomberman LPs onto SA and the LP Archive, since before I joined the forum none of them were finished or archived.

Alrighty! That's fine, I just felt the PSP game needed sharing too, since apparently the human race forgot it existed, and I doubted anyone else would have the patience for it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I've decided to add commentary to explain the functions of certain mechanics and enemies, because if I'm only going to make one video for Bomberman Legacy it might as well be as good as I can make it.

So, I guess I call dibs on Bomberman for the PSP? That's how it works, right?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Yep that works.

Just FYI, I talked with Baldurk about it previously with the Bomberman NES LP, and he doesn't archive single-video LPs. So unless you're not bothered about archiving it you can do what you like.

We'll see how it goes as I edit it, but thank you for your answers! I'm glad to be able to share a Bomberman title, since I love this series and couldn't originally think of a meaningful way to contribute.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I thought Mega Bomberman was a bad port of Bomberman '94 (which I really liked.)

'94 has a ton of similarities to the Super Bomberman series though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Yep it was. Despite the Genesis being a stronger system, the visuals and audio were inexplicably worse.
It could easily have been a problem with my recording setup, but I recorded all of '94 for the original megathread plus a bit of Mega for comparison, and Mega's audio quality was godawful.

I don't think it was your recording, the graphical and audio in the Genesis version are just really bad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

FinalGamer posted:

I say this as someone who actually loved Mega Bomberman as a kid

Yes the audio was pretty bad with the fart volcano of World 2, that was totally not your fault.

Everything resembling an explosion or lava on the Mega Drive usually sounded like a fart.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I always forget there are so many Bomberman titles, and then get depressed that 30-something games still isn't enough for me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Quick update to let everyone know that ElTipejoLoco has graciously taken on recording Bomberman 64: The Second Attack for us. The LP will be going differently than previous LPs in the megathread, as you guys will be asked to vote on a couple things after each part, and the LP will be updated weekly rather than over the course of one single week. No ETA just yet on when the first part will be ready, but it'll be up on a Monday when it is.

Also, GamesAreSupernice, thought any more about doing PSP Bomberman?

I'm my footage with the commentary is dead. I tried to remake it but it's probably best to know when to cut my losses.

Regardless, here is the longplay I did back when I first tried to take on the project. Godspeed to anyone else who tries to make commentary for the drat thing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

If I imported a game that totally isn't Bomberman, but was developed by HudsonSoft and has many Bomberman mechanics, would that be alright to post here, or would you prefer I keep it in its own thread?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alright! That should be happening soon then.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play DNA: Dark Native Apostle

DNA was a game developed by HudsonSoft for the PS2 way back in 2001. It was a very, very quiet release. Not many people played it, fewer people recorded it for posterity, and now I'm here. The game is a bit of an odd mixture. If you ever wanted to fuse Bomberman with an indie graphic novel, Resident Evil, and countless escape the room games, this is your cup of tea. The action mostly revolves around bombing your enemies to death in the same fashion that was popularized in Hudson's flagship title, but this isn't really an action game. Most of the time is spent exploring and wracking your brain to find out where you could've possibly left that last important item. If that combination sounds too weird to be fun for you, hopefully it'll still be entertaining to watch. Just don't expect anything quite as bombastic as the intro song.

Videos

After many battles fought, we've finally come to end.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 13, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

I actually liked that intro theme too.

DNA is on the set, you just lost your breath
(Your soul is overcome with fear)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is time for our door unlocking to level up.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Last Transmission posted:

I take it shuriken and pistols aren't much better pickups than stones and flamethrowers?

I'm going to go out of my way to say that virtually every alternate weapon is useless, save for a single one we involuntarily use

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It is time to finally escape the room. Wait, building. It's a building.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A short in-between level with a giant worm in it

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

If it doesn't take long, do the better resolution option.

Yeah.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SectumSempra posted:

Holy poo poo I'm late tot his thread but wow someone actually finished one of my favorite games of all time (bomberman 64 the second attack, its a weird favorite, sue me).

I'm gonna watch the hell out of that.

Nah it's a pretty special game. I was surprised someone played it too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The plot thickens

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I loved Jetters. Especially that ridiculous theme song.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Larryb posted:

Out of curiousity, are they even still making new Bomberman games? The most recent one I remember was a PSP title.

HudsonSoft is dead

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The plot unthickens a little

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The plot re-thickens

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Someone watching the DNA LP, GodSavant, has uploaded the until now, lost DNA soundtrack. He's great and it's great.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Our nameless hero reaches the end of his journey

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ElTipejoLoco posted:

These guys did a very good job on selling the entire game on a single wacky rap song. :allears:

He seems to have composed lyrics/music for a few other games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RasterPunk posted:

Thanks for this Let's Play; I appreciate channels that are dedicated to showcasing games that fell into obscurity.

Anytime! Unless I'm dead or somethin'

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RasterPunk posted:

Not done yet since we still have Bomberman II, but to the StrawHatNo, PlayablePassion (GamesAreSupernice), ElTipejoLoco, Mr Phillby, and many other Let's Players involved, thanks for caring about the little things. It's an underrated thing to do; preserve and appreciate as much of gaming's history as possible in accessible ways. So much of gaming can be taken for granted, many are left forgotten.

It was fun. I love preserving forgotten games and Bomberman is a series I've always had a fondness for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

There was in fact two Bomberman arcade games.

http://bomberman.wikia.com/wiki/Bomberman_(Arcade) and its sequel.

And Neo Bomberman?

• Locked thread