Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I unironically love the hell out of this game, baffling bomb-jumping metagame and all. It just feels a lot less restricted than Bomberman Generations and Jetters, where Bomberman feels like he's had both of his feet nailed to the floor and is just hopeless dragging his feet everywhere in a vain attempt to defy the cruel gods of gravity. But opinions and all that.

Also the boss fights are really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One thing that is kinda dumb with this game though is that they give you the choice between all 4 worlds at the beginning, but not only is the Green World very obviously the tutorial level but there's a very clear difficulty progression between the rest of the worlds and a set order you're obviously supposed to do them in. I guess it is nice if you get stuck on a difficulty spike at some point but it's pretty wonky design. There's no advantage to doing certain worlds earlier either since there isn't any sort of power-up system

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay, I'm gonna go and play devil's advocate for this game now

-As you can tell from the speed run takes, most of the levels are pretty painless to get through without looking for collectibles
-Most of the gold cards aren't hidden that obtusely. The first level is the most bullshit they really get in the main game and I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose so that you'd revisit the level to train yourself in bomb jump fuckery. Otherwise you can mostly get them just by thoroughly exploring the levels. Honestly, getting 100 gold cards really isn't at all an insurmountable task.
-The costume parts though are indeed bullshit but they are optional and literally do nothing so really, gently caress them, who cares? Hard mode does put some of the gold cards where the costumes used to be though because hard mode is kinda dumb, but it also isn't unlocked at the beginning of the game so you won't accidentally have to put up with it.
-The mini-boss battles are really fun, even if they're pretty simple and easy. They have that charm of being a battle against an enemy that mostly plays by the same rules as you, albeit with an extra special attack or two. Later Bomberman bosses all tend to be big and slow fellas with overly scripted patterns and set points where they're vulnerable, so it's nice to have these fights that feel a bit more dynamic.
-The level design is generally a lot more open-ended than future 3D Bombermans. There's usually more than one way to reach your goal and a ton of optional areas to explore, and areas like Red Mountain 3 do a nice job at using vertical space to make the level feel like a connected three-dimensional whole, rather than a linear path. It's far from perfect, but I find the levels genuinely fun to run around in, way more than slogging through overly-long levels like in Jetters that just feel like a bunch of isolated paths strung together. Falling off narrow ledges is annoying but I'd rather have the freedom to fail but also be able to drop off a ledge to a lower ledge to skip part of a level then be so tightly restrained to the set path.
-Bomb jumping puzzles are, for the most part, a lot more simple than they seem at first glance. At least, the ones you need to beat the game are. People have a tendency to over think these, but a lot of the time the solution is just something simple like "kick a small bomb here, then kick another small bomb next to it". There's one puzzle in particular that I've seen like a million different convoluted solutions for by different people, but the real best way to do it is ridiculously simple and I have no idea why anyone would ever do it another way. Also, throwing big bombs precisely is a lot easier if you change the control settings so that throwing is based on how long you hold the b button, rather than how far you push the analog stick.
-The music is rad as hell.
-The gold card requirements on giant bosses make them feel a lot more engaging than just rushing through the battle normally. I mean, dismantling Orion's giant robot piece by piece and then shoving a bomb into the cockpit is just so drat satisfying
-Bomberman has the most adorable voice ever in this game.

These are just opinions though, informed opinions possibly tainted by nostalgia and/or stockholm syndrome, but opinions nonetheless

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 25, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Black 2 boss battle I never found to be that terrible. He's really aggressive compared to the other bosses but all his attacks can be reliably dealt with. I think it's a pretty fun fight all-around.

Altair's a motherfucker though. The teleport spam makes actually hitting him pretty drat tedious, and I would consistently run the clock out trying to get his gold cards.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I get that Thorn was burnt out on the game by now, but there's a lot of stuff you glossed over with the Rainbow stages.

Rainbow 1's mandatory bomb puzzle is easily solved using the same 2-bomb system that you use in Rainbow 3. Rainbow 1 is actually the shortest level in the game once you realize that.
The other 2 Gold cards on the other hand...well they're special. I'll let this video running the game on a crappy PC speak for itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZGnx2ljnKo&t=210s
Yeah that's some hot bullshit right there. A long chain of elaborate bomb puzzles over bottomless pits. If you gently caress up once you're dead and if you die 3 times you need to start over completely. In comparison the custom parts for that level are pretty tame, for a change.

Rainbow 2's boss has a ton of stuff going on, and the Gold Cards are pretty involved.
  • Gold Card 1 is the freebie you get at the beginning of the fight. You lose it if you take any of the items he gives you though, so getting the Gold Cards means fighting him the old fashioned way with no remote bombs.
  • Card 2 involves blowing a big bomb in his head. You need to throw a bomb through his cape, which will make him disappear, retreat across the room, and poke his head out of the ground. After a few seconds he'll dash away from you. You need to throw a big bomb at the ground and then kinda trick him into running into it. It's not very easy.
  • Card 3 requires you to wait for him to use the attack where he tries to grab you with a shadowy hand. You need to drop a bomb and trick him into grabbing it so it explodes. There's a fair bit of RNG involved in him using the attack in the first place, so this can be a pain in the rear end.
  • Card 4 requires you to burn his cape. Pretty sure you just do this the same way as Card 2, it's kinda weird.
  • Card 5 requires you to do all of the above under the target time, and that's terrible.

On the bright side, the actual hitbox for Spellmaker is his shadow, not the body itself. So actually killing him is easier than it seems at first by just manipulating his habit of running away whenever you get close.
Here's a video of some dude doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sH86u8_SZI
I like this fight for how many attacks the dude has, but getting the Gold Cards just involves a ton of trial and error that isn't very fun

Rainbow 3 you already showed off pretty much everything. The custom parts are annoying to get and not worth anybody's time. I'm pretty sure there's an easier way to get to the switches on the left side of the room but whatever. :effort:

Sirius's Gold Cards are as follows
  • Card 1 you need to beat his first form in the target time. You can beat this phase with regular bombs but he he spends so much time flying and shooting lasers that the only real way to beat him in the time limit is to knock him off the stage like Thorn did. The rest of the cards are all in his second form
  • Card 2, just bounce a pumped up bomb off his head. It's easy to do this if you just catch him after his laser attack
  • Card 3 Catch him in pumped up explosion. Standard stuff
  • Card 4 is keeping Regulus alive. Toss him a heart every now and then and it shouldn't be hard to do this
  • Card 5 is target time as usual

I actually really like this boss fight just for how chaotic it is. You've got Regulus and Sirius spamming bombs everywhere, blowing themselves up, Sirius dashing around and shooting lasers, the AI freaking out and running back and forth, the system chugging and struggling to process all the explosions all over the place, hearts flying everywhere as everybody takes damage constantly. It's really fun in a mindless way. Also the music is rad as gently caress

Anyway, your reward for getting all 120 Gold Cards is Full Power mode, which lets you start every level with maxed out remote hyper bombs. It's fun to mess around with, but probably not worth the effort of getting those last 20 cards. I'lll maintain though that these were way better prizes for getting all of the collectibles than any of Bomberman Hero's unlockable bullshit and way less stupid to get.
Oh yeah you also unlock 4 new multiplayer stages, which is cool.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Word on the Wind posted:

Also, when you unlock rainbow palace and Sirius make his betrayal, if you go back to all of the stages that he gave you advice (And the duel against him in 1-2) he's apparently replaced himself with robotic duplicates that mock you and say strange things.

On top of that, he won't appear to give you remote bombs for the boss battles if you go back to them, they'll just be sitting there in a cone that you break open with a bomb. He won't save you during the giant spider boss either, so refighting that boss after beating the game is a bit harder.

Anyway, as a final detox for Bomberman 64 here's a TAS that breaks the game over its knee in a hilarious way. Some really silly things can be done with bomb jumping when you have the help of frame-perfect inputs. it's an entertaining watch when you have the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjZfFwDRds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, did the developers just forget at some point that they were making a Bomberman game? Because I don't associate that with mandatory platforming and esoteric jumping puzzles.

It's a product of its time, I'd say, with developers not really being familiar with developing games in the third dimension and having to experiment and play things by ear. They realized that they had this new vertical element they could work with, and thought of this cool way you could use bombs to traverse elevated terrain. The problem is that they didn't catch how obtuse this would be to a new player, or know how to convey it properly so you could figure out what to do. 99% players just played up to Altair and called it a day, because your be hard pressed to figure out how to do bomb jumping puzzles on your own. When you figure out how it works, it does make sense and there is a logic it follows, but there's a high barrier to getting to that point where it makes sense, and it feels like you're exploiting a glitch in the first place so there's a never a point where you think "no, that's just too silly", leading to the convoluted solutions people come up with like the "ghetto bomb jump" Thorn did in the first level. It's a clear sign that the developers didn't properly playtest the game with people who weren't already familiar with the game, and it's almost impossible for a developer to get into the mindset of a beginner player.

• Locked thread