Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
That might be the big complaint, honestly. Yusha is a gigantic wet blanket compared to the rest of the game. Still, he has his moments of being a big drat hero. Off the top of my head I don't recall if he stops being such a huge doof. The anime equivalent that comes to mind for Yusha is Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing but I know it's pretty common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

After a while, I figured that Yusha was supposed to be the typical brooding hero, in the style of Cloud Strife and Squall Leonheart.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
And so we come to my favourite part of the game that I've seen. The Horse Element. When the game first came out, a friend of mine streamed this and the moment he got to the Horse Dragon we all just broke down laughing. Just the idea of a horse element is great to me. Just one of those moment where you can really see the original's charm and wackiness shine through.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

dscruffy1 posted:

That might be the big complaint, honestly. Yusha is a gigantic wet blanket compared to the rest of the game. Still, he has his moments of being a big drat hero. Off the top of my head I don't recall if he stops being such a huge doof. The anime equivalent that comes to mind for Yusha is Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing but I know it's pretty common.

Considering the rest of the game, and how he's the only one like that, I think he might be a parody of the serious protagonist thing. But Poe's law, and the fact that he's one of the first characters you see, probably didn't make a good impression. He does stick out like a sore thumb.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Dr. Fetus posted:

Considering the rest of the game, and how he's the only one like that, I think he might be a parody of the serious protagonist thing. But Poe's law, and the fact that he's one of the first characters you see, probably didn't make a good impression. He does stick out like a sore thumb.

Leaning into a cliche doesn't really constitute "parody". Maybe he's meant to be one, but he just comes off as a really jarringly unlikeable character.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

a cartoon duck posted:

horse-elemental

Wordybird posted:

Just the idea of a horse element
They mean "element" as in "part of a whole", not "fantasy magic types and whatnot". Also they never say elementAL.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Earth! Wind! Fire! HORSE!

GO PLANET!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Planet, except with a horse head. Also he makes terrifying noises as he stomps on you for polluting.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Dialog might be going a touch too fast now. There were a few moments where the text was skipped as soon as the period popped up on the screen.

As for Yusha, I'm fairly confident hes suppose to be the brooding hero archtype. Not sure if parody is really the right term for what they're doing, but the series as a whole likes to lean into cliches pretty hard and usually lampshade them as well. I can't seem to recall if they do anything like that approaches parody with Yusha off hand, but yeah he is kinda a wet blanket by design. Kinda a shame hes the introductory character, since later ones are way more entertaining, even if they're just as cliche.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm fine with the text speed as it is. Much slower, and it'd be painful. This game has more dialog than is needed. They really should have edited the text down a bit, and made the prose as speedy as the gameplay.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Okay, second mission onwards for this second video was a much more enjoyable experience. They get right to it and that's the Half-Minute Hero experience I was looking for. Much more enjoyable. Please tell me this trend continues for a while.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RelentlessImp posted:

Okay, second mission onwards for this second video was a much more enjoyable experience. They get right to it and that's the Half-Minute Hero experience I was looking for. Much more enjoyable. Please tell me this trend continues for a while.

Well. Some yes and some no. The game still has a lot of story to tell, so if you're looking for NONSTOP YEEEEEAH this isn't it. There's a good few quests especially later on that do come nonstop, but they certainly aren't in the first chapter. The game takes a while to find its stride and I'm still thinking that putting this SUPER SRS chapter first probably turned a lot of people off, and that's a shame.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NON STOP ACTION YEAAAAHHHH comes later.

Or you can play with the dash button taped down and a ready finger on the skip dialogue button.
which is what I do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rurufi said she belongs in the back, but her stats are a tier above Ramiz, who got OHKO by the Wood Dragon.
I almost missed those giant enemies.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rurufi said she belongs in the back, but her stats are a tier above Ramiz, who got OHKO by the Wood Dragon.
I almost missed those giant enemies.

Yeah, but she's a ranged attacker. There's no reason to put her in the front.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

NON STOP ACTION YEAAAAHHHH comes later.

Or you can play with the dash button taped down and a ready finger on the skip dialogue button.
which is what I do.

Yeah, see, I don't get why people would complain about the dialogue when if you don't really want it, it can be skipped. Even the longest cutscenes don't take more than a couple seconds, and as long as you want non stop action the story and jokes aren't going to matter one bit to you.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Being ranged means the only important thing is keeping her as far away from the action as possible, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Her attacks hit sooner in front since her shots are slow. She also stands still, so if Yusha doesn't get knocked far back, she has little to fear.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm running two LPs now and updating every day and I'm starting to lose track of which one I updated last. This does not bode well! ANYWAY

3: Yusha's History! I Must Serve Maria!/Polsy

Hope you like backstory and exposition and words words words words words

Also I'm updating it at the top of the first post but new artwork and evil lords are being added to the second post with every update. Check it out!

edit: also for gee whiz I guess the sound is a little loud. I'll lower it for the next chapter. You'll still have to deal with full force volume next video though

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I think Dino Dragon only has enough HP that using the summon and then hitting him is all it takes to kill him, but I think the real benefit of the summon is taking out the cave with the most rocks very quickly.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yashu asking the princess to please put forth the effort to actually walk instead of being dragged was pretty great.

Thanks for speeding up the dialogue, it's much better.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Scruffy didn't show it off, but the Ring Dragon quest had my least favorite type of title in the game. Whenever the designers couldn't think of an interesting or clever title, they just went with a "do the wrong thing ten times" title, in this case taking the wrong turn ten times. It's not so bad here, but it gets kinda tedious later on when quests start getting more involved. Even better is when the game combines "mess up ten times" titles with "never mess up" titles, like the Ring Dragon quest also did.

I remember those titles being few and far between thankfully enough, but they're always a dud when they do show up.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

a cartoon duck posted:

Scruffy didn't show it off, but the Ring Dragon quest had my least favorite type of title in the game. Whenever the designers couldn't think of an interesting or clever title, they just went with a "do the wrong thing ten times" title, in this case taking the wrong turn ten times. It's not so bad here, but it gets kinda tedious later on when quests start getting more involved. Even better is when the game combines "mess up ten times" titles with "never mess up" titles, like the Ring Dragon quest also did.

I remember those titles being few and far between thankfully enough, but they're always a dud when they do show up.

I think I will be doing all the titles, at least in bonus videos, so I'll be showing this title off as well. It's pretty irritating but eh! After I finish a chapter and after a certain point in the next chapter of the game, titles will actually have a purpose. Since there's guides available, I might as well! So stay tuned, you'll see missions over and over again.

Since I'm posting now, might as well do the next update!

4: Ramiz's Gambit, Yusha's Downfall!/Polsy

There's still quite a few :words: here but this is the end of this chapter. Next chapter, things really take off!

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 22, 2015

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Heroes never listen when they're being told they might be doing the wrong thing, do they...

If this wasn't a parody game, I'd be tossing it out for being too cliched. I'm a little worried that it's more indulging in the cliche rather than making fun of it though... more winks to the camera'd be nice.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Iunnrais posted:

Heroes never listen when they're being told they might be doing the wrong thing, do they...

It's important that Heroes never actually stop and use their brains to think about anything because otherwise both authors and readers would need to be smart and there's no way to guarantee that.

That said in this instance I feel comfortable putting it securely in the 'parody\deliberately cliche' paddock.

On the gripping hand, real life Humans are actively gigantic idiots all the time so having characters in a story also be idiots is arguably an element of realism.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Check the goddess statue a bunch of times before the next mission starts. If you don't, you won't be able to come back for it until near the end of the chapter. Just something I saw watching a far less competent LPer.

Well, judging from that ending movie, it seems Yusha is going in a darker direction. Early Yusha had tunnel-vision, but was motivated by altruism. Unfortunately, he seems to have learned the wrong lessons from this betrayal...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some lore of the game far as I can remember:
Goddess Era 0 was the war between the Goddess and Overlord. He lost. Humanity flourished afterwards.
GE 100 was the start of the game, with the blond yet-to-be-named Hero, deciding to save the world from the Spell of Destruction. He failed. The Goddess decided to roll back time and help Hero.

Knight is from a period (GE 500?) after the Goddess died and the Spell of Destruction was cast. He was tasked with defending Sage, who sang a sort of monster dispersal song. Sage revives him when he dies.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
You left out the most important piece of lore in the franchise:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
That's not technically true; she gives many fucks about gold, so many that she has none left over for anything else.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am sorry, but everyone I know is wrong.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the original game (no, not that flash thing) was simply called "Hero 30" in Japan. Which was apparently a set-up for quite the pun. This game is known as "Hero 30 Second" in Japan.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Did you ever check out the lumberjack's town that got blocked off by Dino Dragon?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can revisit places by using the Goddess teleport.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are you ready for chapter 2?

I can't hear you!

ARE YOU READY FOR CHAPTER 2?

5: Jailbreak! Halt The Execution!/Polsy

Archenteron posted:

Did you ever check out the lumberjack's town that got blocked off by Dino Dragon?

Nope! But I'll get there! After the next video I'll have a good reason to go back and check it out but for now bear with me.

MightyPretenders posted:

Check the goddess statue a bunch of times before the next mission starts. If you don't, you won't be able to come back for it until near the end of the chapter. Just something I saw watching a far less competent LPer.

I got it in a practice run but not in the actual video. I'll get to it though! Probably! I'm not actually sure where you get a chance to do this after the chapter starts, the story beats between quests don't really repeat themselves. That I know of.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I've had the game on my Steam account for a while, but never actually got around to playing it. The LP made me want to actually do that, so thanks. The big benefit to playing behind (though I'm past that now) is fast-forwarding all of those cutscenes I've seen from here. It's really something just how long the :words: last even at super-speed.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

It's really something just how long the :words: last even at super-speed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Especially when you're going for titles and you have to sit through the dialogue over and over again :suicide:

Don't go for the titles starting out, just play the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I've had the game on my Steam account for a while, but never actually got around to playing it. The LP made me want to actually do that, so thanks. The big benefit to playing behind (though I'm past that now) is fast-forwarding all of those cutscenes I've seen from here. It's really something just how long the :words: last even at super-speed.

I was pretty amazed that even at super speed, the introductory text in the 2nd quest took several seconds to get through. The later chapters are a lot less heavy on the :words: but it still gets pretty bad at times.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy :words:. Yeah, this game does take itself a bit too seriously, but I'm hoping it's the buildup to a punchline. Still, it looks fun and the story isn't that bad, just kinda...disappointing in that it's not as obviously parodical as the first game. Looking forward to the rest.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Oh my goodness I love this :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

dscruffy1 posted:

I got it in a practice run but not in the actual video. I'll get to it though! Probably! I'm not actually sure where you get a chance to do this after the chapter starts, the story beats between quests don't really repeat themselves. That I know of.

Well, there'll be another opportunity eventually. The most appropriate time would be when a certain villager asks whether there's anything you still need to do.

• Locked thread