Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
I'm going to start this out by saying that I'm an unashamed fan of TWD. Watch it every week, tend to enjoy it - plot holes, random bad writing and all. To me, it's just a fun show that makes Sunday nights slightly less dull in the fall/winter. :shrug:

That being said, FTWD is a bit of a mess. (I'll keep this spoiler free.) I was able to watch the first 2 eps last week and the reviews complaining about the teenagers dragging the story down are spot on. The fact that the 2 leads play high school teachers means you never get away from the teen drama.

The first ep is slow, which I was able to overlook for the first half, but after that I found myself distracted and bored. Things pick up in the last 10 min, I guess, but not enough to redeem the episode.

The 2nd ep starts out a bit better but quickly falls back into boring family/work drama. And there's a ridiculous plotline with the junkie son that is laughably bad. The last 15 minutes of the ep were a slog and none of the "tense" scenes hit their mark.

They do a passable job setting up the start of the apocalypse. I did enjoy the snippets of society starting to collapse, so it's not all bad.

But what really bothered me was that no one had a believable reaction to seeing a walker for the first time. Not that I would know, obviously, but I can pretty safely say it would probably be more :supaburn: as opposed to :geno:

I think the main problem for me is that I know what's coming. I know nothing gets better. I know the walkers start to decay and get easier to kill as time goes on. I know how long it takes for a person to turn, how walkers move, what attracts them. I'm not sure what else this show can offer other than a few eps showing society collapse. And then what?

This is really just AMC's attempt to prolong the brand. I can't see the original show going past season 8, so this is their way to reboot without actually rebooting.

I'll probably watch all 6 eps, but unless they completely change the tone from the first 2, I can't see myself sticking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hey thanks for your thoughts... I am still excited to see how the show goes down but your impressions sound like what I was fearing although I am not opposed to some slow burn drama if it is interesting and builds tension.

I was hoping the audience's knowledge of how walkers worked would build some dramatic tension to see ignorant characters encountering them for the first time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

"no cure" is a good rule. I mean, that would undermine the whole idea behind the franchise. And a plotline about people trying to find a cure would be boring as gently caress, because the audience knows they won't succeed.

Does the audience know that? Fear takes place on the West Coast, regular TWD on the East. With the breakdown of communication and easy travel, you could easily cure it on one end of the country and news wouldn't reach the other end for years (if ever).

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The two siblings look like they walked off the set of a 90s sitcom.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This poo poo is gonna suck fuckin' rear end. Can't wait!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
I'm a big zombie genre fan and have been since seeing NotLD as a kid and one of my favorite aspects of the genre is the initial spread of the plague and breakdown of society. I also realize most entries into zombie apoc genre have been pure poo poo, once in a while you get a gem or something pretty good but by and large it's poo poo.

I don't expect this to be very good. I'm a big fan of Kim Dickens so hopefully she can make this teen drama bearable until we get to the edible parts. I'll still watch because it's going to scratch that itch.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

I'm a big zombie genre fan and have been since seeing NotLD as a kid and one of my favorite aspects of the genre is the initial spread of the plague and breakdown of society. I also realize most entries into zombie apoc genre have been pure poo poo, once in a while you get a gem or something pretty good but by and large it's poo poo.

I don't expect this to be very good. I'm a big fan of Kim Dickens so hopefully she can make this teen drama bearable until we get to the edible parts. I'll still watch because it's going to scratch that itch.

This is why I always loved the original Dawn of the Dead. The beginning where you see the main characters trying to do their jobs while others around them say gently caress this and bail was interesting to me. The part where they are clearing the apartment and they find the stash of bodies in the basement because the rest of the residents didn't know what else to do with them was genius. I'll never forget seeing just a mass of zombie bodies wiggling around at the site of a human, really good scene and was a good example of showing how hosed things would actually get.

I'm hoping more for that than I am another family drama. One of the things I really really dislike about Walking Dead is watching the characters try to rationalize dumb decisions just because a friend that died thought it was a good idea. Glenn trying to rationalize to Rick that helping these people out, even if they are beyond stupid and hosed, because a guy who he has known for a short period of time believed it was a good idea is just bad lazy writing. How many terrible situations do they have to get in before the realization that trying to protect the world is a bad idea?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I've been a big unapologetic fan of the Walking Dead and I enjoy the character driven episodes. My growing up addicted to the original Fallout PC games and all things "end of the world" give all collapse of society shows that explore how humans deal with it a +10 for Goin' Hog Wild.

My only dread is the teenagers. I hope the technology stays consistent with then the collapse was supposed to happen so I don't have to stare at too many loving shots of cell phone screens. I hate cell phones. Get off my lawn.

Also, I would love to see a character, in anything ever, go into full blown "ANYTHING NOT BOLTED DOWN BECOMES A PROJECTILE WEAPON WHILE I SCREAM AND YELL LIKE AN ACTUAL HUMAN HAVING A PANIC ATTACK FIGHTING FOR THEIR LIVES WOULD" defense. Just someone managing to fight off ten or fifteen different walkers while maintaining a realistic losing their poo poo talk out loud/weird terrified noises type of monologue.

Edit : Or we are completely hosed so might as well laugh before death scenarios. I've seen nervous laughs in dark times, like Maggie when she killed the riot gear zombie. More of that.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 23, 2015

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it wasn't for me being completely obsessed with zombie related material, I probably would have left the Walking Dead quite some time ago but I'll honestly eat up anything zombie related. A lot of my first experiences with horror films were some of the older zombie movies so I guess I have a soft spot for the genre.

Also I think you will get what you want in terms of their interactions with the zombies. Supposedly the zombies are a lot harder to kill in this show since they are "fresh". I'm a little afraid though that is going to lead to less zombie related stuff and more "Dave wants to plant a garden. Let's have a three episode arc about the positives and negatives of gardening in the zombie apocalypse."

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Supposedly the zombies are a lot harder to kill in this show since they are "fresh".

It's not like we haven't seen freshly dead zombies before, lots of times actually, so I'm not sure how this new approach is going to be different

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Iowa Snow King posted:

It's not like we haven't seen freshly dead zombies before, lots of times actually, so I'm not sure how this new approach is going to be different

I can't think of seeing them en masse.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I quit watching the main series in the first season so this had either be really bad/campy/fun instead of boring.

Has the main series gotten any better, by the way?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I had no idea this was going to be on tonight, and I really don't care at all about it, but I also have nothing else to do so here I go I guess. Worse comes to worse, it sucks and you guys make it fun, or I go back to being bored until Last Week Tonight comes on.

a helpful bear posted:

I quit watching the main series in the first season so this had either be really bad/campy/fun instead of boring.

You gave up in the first season? You probably got all you're going to get out of the show.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Gordong Dongbay posted:

This is why I always loved the original Dawn of the Dead. The beginning where you see the main characters trying to do their jobs while others around them say gently caress this and bail was interesting to me. The part where they are clearing the apartment and they find the stash of bodies in the basement because the rest of the residents didn't know what else to do with them was genius. I'll never forget seeing just a mass of zombie bodies wiggling around at the site of a human, really good scene and was a good example of showing how hosed things would actually get.

I'm hoping more for that than I am another family drama. One of the things I really really dislike about Walking Dead is watching the characters try to rationalize dumb decisions just because a friend that died thought it was a good idea. Glenn trying to rationalize to Rick that helping these people out, even if they are beyond stupid and hosed, because a guy who he has known for a short period of time believed it was a good idea is just bad lazy writing. How many terrible situations do they have to get in before the realization that trying to protect the world is a bad idea?

I love both DotDs and even though the remake's breakdown was more brief, was very well done. I also feel you on the what I call the Lori Effect- bad writing justifying characters acting completely stupid to the point where you want them to die. Andrea was another character and of course Carl is just the age old issue of adults writing pre-teens and teens in any believable way. I don't have any hope for the melodramatic teen angst poo poo I'm about to subject myself to. In fact, I imagine the first couple eps are probably going to suck because of that very thing.

a helpful bear posted:

Well this is going to generate a million different response but here's mine- S2 and S3 sucked rear end. They got a new show runner for S4 and the last two seasons have been pretty solid with some brilliant writing and some mediocre writing. Definitely worth watching the last 2 seasons in prep for the new one, if you like the genre.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

a helpful bear posted:

It got very bad, then better, then bad again, then swung wildly between good and bad, and has been reasonably good for the past season or so.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It's on right now...

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Let's run this poo poo into the ground!

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Thanks guys. I will admit me dropping season 1 was partly because my wife won't watch it and I'm terrible at keeping up with shows. Also I can't stand the weepy older woman.

I'll try out the latest seasons.

So far a solid/typical start to any zombie film/show.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
He amount of times he's called for Gloris, I half expected Carl to come out in a wig.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Time to dead black person, 65 seconds.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This guy sure is afraid of the walking dead.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

a helpful bear posted:

Also I can't stand the weepy older woman.

pffft

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That might be the funniest opening for a Walking Dead episode. So much ridiculous poo poo to process there.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
His billowy shirt that never fully comes off was pretty funny.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I laughed when he had to pull up his britches. Not a fan of the music while he was running.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

a helpful bear posted:

His billowy shirt that never fully comes off was pretty funny.

His billowy crop-top.

And his was just getting high in an abandoned church. A run down church, in the middle of a highly populated area.

And then he runs like 10 feet and gets winded.

And then BAM a car doesn't see him in the middle of the street so maybe that guy was texting while driving I dunno.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

a helpful bear posted:

Thanks guys. I will admit me dropping season 1 was partly because my wife won't watch it and I'm terrible at keeping up with shows. Also I can't stand the weepy older woman.

I'll try out the latest seasons.

So far a solid/typical start to any zombie film/show.

Read up on s2 and s3. The final couple eps of S2 are worth watching for a large zombie attack. Watch one ep in S3- "Clear". It's really good, skip the rest. Watch all of s4 and s5.

As for the "weepy old woman" I hope you mean Carol cuz boy do they have a surprise for you.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 24, 2015

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
I was just going to be amazed he knew the word viscera and then he said he doesn't.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This is dumb why not just tell them to go to the place where he saw all the dead people? Unless he thinks he hallucinated I guess?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Just can't have Joanie Stubbs without Cy Tolliver. :(

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

a cop posted:

This is dumb why not just tell them to go to the place where he saw all the dead people? Unless he thinks he hallucinated I guess?

Would you think that poo poo was real if you were high or recently high?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

DarklyDreaming posted:

Would you think that poo poo was real?

Yeah, heroine doesn't really make poo poo like that happen but w/e tv logic.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

warcrimes posted:

Read up on s2 and s3. The final couple eps of S2 are worth watching for a large zombie attack. Watch one ep in S3- "Clear". It's really good, skip the rest. Watch all of s4 and s4.

As for the "weepy old woman" I hope you mean Carol cuz boy do they have a surprise for you.

Thanks. After that commercial with her looking like a badass I figured that was the case. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

I love the cliche hating of boyfriend of the mom.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Daya's mom! Glad she is smart enough to divorce douche stepdad.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
They're using smart phones ahhhhhh

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Illuen posted:

Daya's mom! Glad she is smart enough to divorce douche stepdad.

Thank you! I couldn't place her and it was driving me nuts.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
so when they say they're going to focus on the personal relationships in FTWD they mean they're focusing on the shittiest parts of TWD, right?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

maduin posted:

so when they say they're going to focus on the personal relationships in FTWD they mean they're focusing on the shittiest parts of TWD, right?

Looks that way

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

maduin posted:

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Well, that Autolux song playing is the most interesting thing to happen thus far (for me).

• Locked thread