Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cacator posted:

Amazing miniseries that just wrapped up and zero discussion here. Did everyone give up on David Simon after Treme?

I like David Simon for all his flaws but Paul Haggis? Eh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I finally finished this. Pretty good overall, though I do think the first half of the show or so is a bit weaker than than the second half. I think my main issue is that the beginning parts of the show didn't do a very good job at showing us the lives of the people that would eventually move into the public housing. Some scenes with these characters were only about 15 seconds long. Luckily the later episodes rectify this, particularly once we see the struggles these people face once they've finally moved in.

Oscar Isaac was great of course, The Wire alumni pull their weight remarkably well with how little time some of their characters get onscreen, and Paul Haggis ended up doing a bit better than I was expecting.

For whatever reason this shot stuck out to me most in the whole show:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

aga. posted:

Maybe it's my British naivete but I really thought this was based in the 70s/80s based on the politics (well, racism), I couldn't believe it when 199x popped up at some point.

Racism is still very much alive in America. Like they say on this show, it just gets couched in very different terms other than the n-word and other obvious epithets these days, and even in some parts of the country those still happen too.

• Locked thread