Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

frosteh posted:

One thing I couldn't figure out was at the end before he killed himself, what was his wife "911" paging him about? The only thing I could think of was that she had a bad feeling that he might do something rash and felt like she needed to talk to him, I dunno.
That's my interpretation as well. Maybe the brother called her after Nick left the house without saying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
The city did end up going bankrupt anyway. That's why the state board came in to manage the city's finances.

Nick was pragmatic. I doubt he was ever for desegregation, but rather he was for complying with the court order. He knew it would bankrupt Yonkers to fight it and tried what he could to prevent that.

The title is part of a F. Scott Fitzgerald quote: "Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy". The promotional poster has this line: "How does a politician know he's doing the right thing? We make him pay." Nick is a hero because he fought for what he believed in, and he lost nearly all his political power. Sadly he put too much of his self worth in that, and when he thought the last ounce was about to go, he didn't see any point in going on. That isn't to say everything he did was good or perfect. His wife losing her job thanks to Nick's ill-advised political actions is a great example, and I think that action plus running against Vinni made her willing enough to tell Nay about the supposed affair. I don't know if Nick actually had an affair, but it was obvious Vinni no longer saw Nick on a higher perch than everyone else.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 1, 2015

• Locked thread