Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I was in the middle of making a thread and did a double check before posting and here is a thread, so I wasted some time. Anyway, here were some of the things I was going to say.

First off, can anyone fill me in on who Ralph is? He is the guy who gets Wasicsko's mayoral campaign started, and is played by Michael Kostroff (Maury Levy from The Wire). I couldn't tell if gave Nick the money to start the campaign simply so the current mayor had someone to run against, or if he actually wanted him to win. It seemed like with the phone call at the end of episode 1, that Ralph didn't really intend for him to win.

I hope the stories of the people in public housing intersect with the main story, but I have a feeling it's just to show what the common people are dealing with on a day-to-day basis, we'll see.

Last thing for now, I just listened to This American Life episode called The Problem We All Live With, which is about modern day school integration. The first part of the episode deals with a St. Louis suburb receiving 1,000 mostly black kids from a failed school district. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the white residents outside St. Louis in 2013 sound almost identical to the white residents of Yonkers in 1988. 25 years, and almost no progress has been made, at least among white suburbanites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

^^^^
The TAL episode was probably something I shouldn't have listened to in the car because I was starting to go blind with rage while listening to it.

Well the show definitely makes me want to read the book because I'd love to get more details on all this. Probably the one thing driving me crazy is how the white residents refuse to acknowledge that the city has no other option but to build the housing. They're just clasping their hands over their ears and screaming "NO, NO, NO" and thinking that it will make it all go away. I was really glad to see Wasicsko talk about the dog-whistle politics of the whole thing, and it looks like next episode it goes from dog-whistle to air horn.

Also, I'd like to know if Spallone was this much of a douchebag in real life, or if they're taking a little bit of creative license because oh man is he a douchebag.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I do like their use of Wire actor cameos in the show. It looks like Clarke Peters finally shows up next week.

Here is everyone I can remember

Brother Mouzone - Michael Potts
Maury Levy - Michael Kostroff
Namond - Julito McCullum
Cheryl - Melanie Nichols-King

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Max posted:

For this show, I kinda want to hear why David Simon finally relented on his whole "no non-diagetic music ever except for the finale" rule that he usually imposes on his work.

I think Treme uses a fair amount of non-diegetic music, although not as much as most shows would use.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Finally got to the last episode, and boy is it heartbreaking. I guess I'll spoiler it just in case.

Everything falling apart for Nick so quickly was pretty tough, but a good chunk of it was his own doing. He could have just dropped out of politics and become a lawyer. Hell he could have spent a bunch of years as a lawyer and gotten back into politics later on, but he seemed destined to burn every bridge he could. He just clung to being a politician that once he was out of the system he felt there was no reason to go on, just really tragic.

I'm not going to spoiler this because I don't think it needs to be. It was frustrating to see all of the new tenants in the townhouses refuse to participate, at least at first. They get handed a great opportunity, but then won't step up themselves. Mayhawk (Clarke Peters) pretty much had it right, get them started with some help, but then force them to take responsibility by removing the help, and at least some of the tenants did that. Some just want to complain and never do anything about it, but that happens with all sorts of people.

I was also surprised to see that most, if not all, of the public housing characters were actually real people, I thought they were just added to give perspective. It was really nice to see that these were all real people, and real problems. Poor Billie Rowan though, she got shafted at every turn.

• Locked thread