Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

gohmak posted:

That the Chinese space program is antiquated and in need of good ol' Murican advise?

I wonder if this movie will do well in China , since it makes Chinese government, particularly their space agency look really good. It was because they were so generous as to reveal their top secret rocket in an effort to help rescue an American astronaut that helped save Watley. Onboard Ares 5 the astronaut next to Martinez was Asian, and it made me wonder if he was a Taikonaut representing this multinational effort.

I think the events of the film should have changed Ares 5's mission to establish a Watleyville potato plantation in the event of future emergencies. You never know how long your vacation on Mars might be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

Niche genre movie loses out to popular, mainstream movies. News at eleven. (You should like Genesys, if for no reason than it being FR's partner in the "Did badly domestically, rear end saved by foreign markets" category.)

On to the topic of The Martian, I found it reasonably entertaining but not super engaging. I haven't read the book, but everything seemed rather predictable (Dude is doing well, so the potato plants have to die. Probe full of food will allow dude to do well, Probe has to explode. Funny where it needed to be without overdoing it; some of the actors felt wasted with not enough enough to do.

There was a major plot error that I'm surprised nobody caught: Who the hell would bemoan running out of ketchup when your meals are primarily potato-based? Thou shalt not put ketchup on thy taters!

I'm ribbing Groovelord Neato over that, not doing the self-deprecating thing here.

The book is basically like that. Something goes well->something predictably blows up->Watney sciences his way out of it to keep right on the knife's edge between success and failure. Most of it didn't need to be belabored. By the time he was on his way to Schiaparelli crater lots of other poo poo was going down Earth-side and on the Ares 4 already so most of that was trimmed for balance/pacing reasons. They probably could've used even more travelogue-type sequences there, though, because those shots were amazing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

broken clock opsec posted:

I'm ribbing Groovelord Neato over that, not doing the self-deprecating thing here.

The book is basically like that. Something goes well->something predictably blows up->Watney sciences his way out of it to keep right on the knife's edge between success and failure. Most of it didn't need to be belabored. By the time he was on his way to Schiaparelli crater lots of other poo poo was going down Earth-side and on the Ares 4 already so most of that was trimmed for balance/pacing reasons. They probably could've used even more travelogue-type sequences there, though, because those shots were amazing.

I did a rough estimate of his journey to the crater, and it would be like driving from the Florida Keyes to the northern tip of Maine, only very slowly and having to stop all the drat time. How long did it take him? A month? Two months?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Panfilo posted:

I did a rough estimate of his journey to the crater, and it would be like driving from the Florida Keyes to the northern tip of Maine, only very slowly and having to stop all the drat time. How long did it take him? A month? Two months?

I remember it being like 55-60 days, but I'd have to look again.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

...and it made me wonder if he was a Taikonaut representing this multinational effort

He was. There were 2 reasons the Chinese donated their booster: First was so the entire world could see China saving America and the second was to make NASA add a taikonaut to a future Ares mission.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Panfilo posted:

In the trailer I didn't understand why having the potato plants exposed to martian atmosphere was so catastrophic. But seeing it realize that such a rapid decompression flash froze all the plants. Still, why Chuck the plants afterward? Food was the big limitation, I half expected to see watley gnawing on frozen potato plants for sustenance.

The NASA guys say he can eat what he has. The problem is he can't grow more.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MorgaineDax posted:

The NASA guys say he can eat what he has. The problem is he can't grow more.

Right. Not only did the plants die, his "fertilizer" died too. The other potatoes wouldn't have necessary nitrogen and minerals to sustain growth I assume.

I know Watley was rationing to stretch out his food as long as possible. I was wondering how many calories a day he was likely consuming. I figure an average healthy adult man consumes 2500 calories a day, but it doesn't take just zero calories to kill you eventually. For instance, being reduced to 800 calories would be hard for him to make it for such a long time, particularly because he was very active the entire time which would make the situation worse.

"The Martian diet"

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Right. Not only did the plants die, his "fertilizer" died too. The other potatoes wouldn't have necessary nitrogen and minerals to sustain growth I assume.

The problem was that he only had a few unprocessed potatoes to start with (and he only had those because NASA wanted the crew to actually prepare a meal together during Thanksgiving) and only a little earth soil carrying growth critical microbes and he used it all. The decompression and freezing killed both the potatoes and the microbes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

gohmak posted:

I wish they wouldn't have left out the power drill killing Pathfinder, the rover flipping and the dust storm he had to traverse on his way to Ares IV MAV.

That's disappointing to hear. Obviously the loss of contact is dependent on the tension in the dust storm because they can't warn him, so that takes a good amount of tension out of the plot, and the rover flip is one of the few points in the book where I was like WTF MUST READ NEXT CHAPTER NOW.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I enjoyed the movie, apart from the omissions (which have to happen when cutting a long story down the 2 hours) it was incredibly faithful to the book. Definitely think it would work better having read the book, or reading the book after to understand details of things like why he couldn't grow more potatoes.

The one big change from the book is the tone, as others have said you never really get a chance to feel the full tension of Watneys situation. I would have liked to see them keep the frying of Pathfinder even if it happens later on, and have a few minutes where Watney is making the journey out of contact with Earth. For that time he is without communications the film could have avoided showing Earth of Hermes, making the audience feel the disconnect.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Why was the lander from a mission that wasn't going to happen for years sitting there waiting for him?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Why was the lander from a mission that wasn't going to happen for years sitting there waiting for him?

They send them in advance of the mission to save time, money, resources, and reduce weight. It's actually a smart idea.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It also has to spend a lot of time creating fuel on Mars (instead of bringing it) so that it's good to go when the astronauts arrive.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Senjuro posted:

Saw the movie last night and now I get to be one those guys that tells everyone that the book was better. The things that made the book popular, the in depth science and engineering details and the clever and creative problem solving, are almost completely gone. The constant feeling that Mark has to keep using every bit of ingenuity in him to keep on surviving is just not there. I'd only recommend the movie if you think you can enjoy the same story but without those elements in it. Also the movie spends a much larger percentage of time with the Earth characters than the book does which really undermines the strong sense of isolation you're supposed to feel when it focuses on Mars.

this movie could be bad and it'd be still better than the book. this is like the easiest "the movie is better" situation in history.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Panfilo posted:

I know Watley was rationing to stretch out his food as long as possible. I was wondering how many calories a day he was likely consuming. I figure an average healthy adult man consumes 2500 calories a day ...
You can eat a lot less than that and be fine. Source: I eat 1600 calories a day and do just fine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nelson Mandingo posted:

They send them in advance of the mission to save time, money, resources, and reduce weight. It's actually a smart idea.

It's also an insurance policy for the astronauts. If there was an issue with the ascent vehicle arriving, it won't strand the astronauts. They can plan the final manned portion at the end when everything else has worked.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 3, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

fondue posted:

You can eat a lot less than that and be fine. Source: I eat 1600 calories a day and do just fine.

How much walking around in space suits are you doing on a daily basis?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

You would be surprised! (none)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"No. I'm not going to turn the beat around. I refuse to do it."

Fantastic movie all around, scientific nitpicking be damned. I especially thought that Sean Bean & Pals sitting at a table discussing the Council of Elrond was a nice script touch.

Ya done good, Ridley Scott. You too, Damon.

If any of you are planning on going to see this, see it in 3D if possible. The Martian landscape and horizon scenes were really well done.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Senor Tron posted:

At a third of his earth weight :viggo:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Come on HBO. It's time for a KSR Mars tv series.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if this movie will do well in China , since it makes Chinese government, particularly their space agency look really good.

The main question of the film, given that it's a fairly clear example of utopian sci-fi, is what sort of utopia it's promoting.

And that's where the nerd stuff should be taken quite seriously: the movie actually is about mutinous space pirates. The 'lol so wacky' reaction eclipses the fact that it's quite literally what's going on.

So the movie's rather explicitly about nerds, modeling themselves after Tony Stark and the multiculti crews from Lord Of The Rings & Avengers - but who are Sauron and HYDRA in this analogy?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So the movie's rather explicitly about nerds, modeling themselves after Tony Stark and the multiculti crews from Lord Of The Rings & Avengers - but who are Sauron and HYDRA in this analogy?

Mars and Space?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

The main question of the film, given that it's a fairly clear example of utopian sci-fi, is what sort of utopia it's promoting.

And that's where the nerd stuff should be taken quite seriously: the movie actually is about mutinous space pirates. The 'lol so wacky' reaction eclipses the fact that it's quite literally what's going on.

Oh god it's you.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

I'm going to guess "the military-industrial complex".

1. The only mention of the military I can recall is that they will court-marshall the captain for being a mutinous space pirate.
2. That Hermes looks expensive as balls. The budget for that has to have come from somewhere.
3. Relations between the US and China seem way, way better than they are now. Neither side really seems to give any credence to keeping technological secrets from the other. In this case, a peace dividend could be expected that might explain point two.
4. Turbo nerd trivia, the space shuttle was massively crippled by requirements the military added in return for money. If it could have been funded fully without the defense department's involvement, it could have been more efficient. A utopia envisioned by NASA would presumably include some sort of revenge for that.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Captain Magic posted:

Mars and Space?

Mars is Mordor. Hydra is NASA (the Nazgul) attempting to prevent the Ares III crew (the eagles) from rescuing Watney (Frodo) in a desolate landscape.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm going to go see this again Thursday. It was so good. I think my only complaints were that I would have liked more scenes like the one where Watley is listening, terrified, to the dust storm after the hab blows up.

And maybe that Donald Glover's character was just a bit too nerdprecious.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

What's the hivemind of this thread think? Is the 3D worth it?

Ribley Scott, filmed in 3D, probably worf it.

I just saw it the 3D was pretty unobtrusive but real good for the opening scenese.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

And maybe that Donald Glover's character was just a bit too nerdprecious.

Yeah, a bit, but I did love him taking a sip of old coffee, then grabbing a trash can to spit into, before remembering it was mesh. just a simple, well-executed gag.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did you miss Watley telling the audience the moral of the story at the end?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah, a bit, but I did love him taking a sip of old coffee, then grabbing a trash can to spit into, before remembering it was mesh. just a simple, well-executed gag.

Oh, definitely.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

gohmak posted:

To be fair the light it was attached to beeped and the sound was from the perspective of the ships atmo pressure before evac. Immersion preserved?

Nah they had the sounds of the jets firing in space, the sound of the tether rolling out and stuff like that. There's been two Hollywood space blockbusters that didn't depict sound in space so it was disappointing for this one to do it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arglebargle III posted:

Did you miss Watley telling the audience the moral of the story at the end?

No, but the moral is a tricky one. "You solve one problem and then the next. You solve enough problems and you get to come home."

The movie's not spending 2 hours to tell you that, y'know, problems are bad. The point is the overall attitude of extreme pragmatism - deal with the individual problems, one after the other. Watney concludes that it was this pragmatic philosophy that got him home.

But already we're getting into tricky territory. Watney is not really talking about his literal return to Earth but, rather, about the more abstract overcoming of hopelessness. It's a crucial distinction: pragmatism is useful to Watney regardless of whether it 'actually works'. We know full well that any number of things could have gone randomly, uncontrollably wrong during his stay - but that doesn't matter because Watney simply needed a belief to motivate him.

This understanding also opens up the possibility that Watney has it wrong - that there's a gap between what he believes and what's actually true.

That's where we get into the ideology of the film, because the characters are ultimately pushing for liberal gradualism.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Really, really enjoyed this one. Also the man is on a planet by himself he can eat all the ketchup he wants.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

That's disappointing to hear. Obviously the loss of contact is dependent on the tension in the dust storm because they can't warn him, so that takes a good amount of tension out of the plot, and the rover flip is one of the few points in the book where I was like WTF MUST READ NEXT CHAPTER NOW.

Not really. The tension is already well-established. What you're asking for is for the filmmakers to run up Watney's score.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The bureaucrat head of NASA that continuously hamstrings the real scientists.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Gotta be real I would not blow probably billions of dollars to rescue a goon on mars

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Anyone else notice the nod to Gravity by having George Clooney not slip away from the tether?that wasn't in the book.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Gotta be real I would not blow probably billions of dollars to rescue a goon on mars

This is a world where NASA's already got funding for five manned mars missions. What's a few billion more at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gohmak posted:

Anyone else notice the nod to Gravity by having George Clooney not slip away from the tether?that wasn't in the book.

That could be a not so personal joke between directors or a dick move by meddling Hollywood producers to add.

"Hey, you know how in the book, his close friend felt responsible for not doing enough on sol 18 was the one to pilot the mmu to fetch Watney in the stripped out MAV? Yeah how about we switch that to Commander Lewis."

"Oh, you know how in the book Watney came up with the cockamamie ironman glove thing that gave the crew the idea to blow the front air lock? Let's have him actually do it. The audiences love Ironman."

Either way I rolled my eyes 3 times in a row and I've never done that.

• Locked thread