Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I can't remember, does the book elaborate much on the overall design of the Hermes? The movie one doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to the current idea of what a Mars craft would look like (with a ring as opposed to spinning the whole ship or, if you did have a distinct centrifuge, two modules on very long sticks. The ring in the movie's small enough that you'd probably get nausea.) (And what's with all the solar panels? It's got a nuclear reactor. I guess the public expects solar panels.)

I don't think there's any rotating part or artificial gravity in the book, but that's all that I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ravel posted:

The idea that the China subplot is pandering is a bit weird considering the rest of the film is a long love letter to NASA and American sensibilities of discovery and exploration.

Not to mention, since it originated in the book, it's not like Andy Weir wrote it to cash in on that booming Chinese ebook market.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

Saw this today: thought it was an excellent film. There was an article I read a few days ago that argued this was the first 'real' Mars film, in the sense of giving us a genuine hard science fiction story instead of schlocky action like in Red Planet (a film I enjoyed, to be fair), or whatever the hell Mission to Mars was supposed to be.

I remember when Mission to Mars came out there was a lot of hype over how "realistic" the screenwriters and set designers tried to make it. Instead, we got the whole idiotic EVA to the capsule scene right at the start. Even ignoring all the alien scenes.

In terms of recent realistic space movies, this actually reminded me a lot of Europa Report.

• Locked thread