Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a question for Weir: how do the improvise condoms if they don't bring any over? What citizenship would the baby get, being born in international waters, basically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

Even in an airtight container, wouldn't all the bacteria have died from the cold overnight?

He could've easily moved them to the safe part before anything happened. Redundancy is an important aspect of anything in space and he hosed up. All eggs in one basket and all that.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 8, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think a reality TV show wanted to send its cast to mars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt he went all Machinist on this movie. There's no need, really.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

How much of a pain would it be to try to replicate the mission in Kerbal Space Program? The issue is the Hermes, how would you be able to accelerate it for so long with only 4x time acceleration?

I did smile when I saw I think it was a Delta IV launch near the end and it looked very similar to a launch vehicle id build in KSP.

Somebody with way to much time on their hands did just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdZulZpCa2s

Quite a bit pain of a pain in the rear end, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think in the movie it looked like a direct earth->mars slingshot, this of course. This way it of course makes a bit more sense, and I can see them not wanting to overcomplicate everything with detailed explanations of orbital mechanics.

• Locked thread