Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

broken clock opsec posted:

How about an insane inferiority complex about Mad Max Fury Road (the best movie of the year) (and it's criminal that it's being out-grossed by such pablum as Pitch Perfect 2 *spit* and Terminator: Genisys).

Niche genre movie loses out to popular, mainstream movies. News at eleven. (You should like Genesys, if for no reason than it being FR's partner in the "Did badly domestically, rear end saved by foreign markets" category.)

On to the topic of The Martian, I found it reasonably entertaining but not super engaging. I haven't read the book, but everything seemed rather predictable (Dude is doing well, so the potato plants have to die. Probe full of food will allow dude to do well, Probe has to explode. Funny where it needed to be without overdoing it; some of the actors felt wasted with not enough enough to do.

There was a major plot error that I'm surprised nobody caught: Who the hell would bemoan running out of ketchup when your meals are primarily potato-based? Thou shalt not put ketchup on thy taters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

What loving swamp do you live in?

The good part of the world, where one understands that the only acceptable things to put on your potato is butter, salt, pepper, and bacon bits.

Everything bad that happens in the film is God's way of telling the dude to stop putting ketchup on his potatoes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The sperg in me got really annoyed at the Ironman Idea, because it forgets that Ironman has two blaster things, one on each palm. Of course he can control it, he's got two sources to balance things out. Doing it with one is just inviting spinning like a goddamned top.

My sperg felt better when his first attempt led to him smashing back into the ship at speed like a doofus, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not a botanist (I eventually wanna grow plants, but I don't have the time right now), so I have question about something I don't understand. Maybe the book described it better.

I get using poop as fertilizer, but on earth that just improves the quality of the soil the plants are growing in, they are still using the nutrients already found in the soil. Using martian soil would be a net-zero (actually, I've heard the soil is toxically salty but I'll ignore that for now). Is Watney growing his pootatoes (:v:) purely from his feces? Or is the Mars soil barely good enough to grow in, but the feces pushes it over the edge to Actually Okay To Grow Stuff On?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So, Naomi Scott has been cast as the Pink Power Ranger in the upcoming film, and some of the blurbs about her say that she stars in The Martian. According to Wikipedia, she plays the character Ryoko in the movie.

Does anyone know who the hell Ryoko is in The Martian? The only guess I have is that she's Martinez's wife, but :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Around the time Apollo 13 came out there were interviews with the actual astronauts, and I think Lovell said that they were never really thinking about how screwed they were, that it was just "okay now we have to do this, next we need to do that." It was only after they were safe on the ground that it hit them how close they came to dying out there.

In From The Earth To The Moon, they show two distinct times things went pear-shaped to Neil Armstrong, and supposedly both times he was purestrain :geno: during them, because that was just his way.

• Locked thread