Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

(I work for a company whose name ends in dot-com, and Watney would fit in perfectly at the office.)

:lol:

My favorite dialogue was when he had to strip some lander for parts and his log comment was "I totally raped that thing" - it really threw me out of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

Just did a search of the pdf of the book (albeit the version before he got it professionally edited) and the word raped doesn't appear once.

Different versions then:

"The lunatics at NASA have me doing all kinds of rape to the MAV, but I don't have to open the hull till the end. So the first thing I'll do is clear out of a bunch of clutter, like chairs and control panels and the like."

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Bastard Tetris posted:

You don't work with a lot of engineers, do you? They have just enough aspergers to not know that is an inappropriate way to describe dismantling old equipment.

I work with a lot of software and network engineers and no, it's not something I hear.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

zandert33 posted:

We get it.. you don't like the book. Are you going to present an argument as to why, or just complain over and over that "he wouldn't act like that"?

I don't know if this is directed at me but:

"We get it.. you don't like the book. Are you going to present an argument as to why"

- I stated that an entry of irreverent dialogue was out of touch and it threw me out of the story which I found engrossing otherwise.

"or just complain over and over that "he wouldn't act like that"?"

- I brought up one thing in one post - hardly 'over and over again' - if you're having this much trouble reading an internet thread then I guess you should stick to books like The Martian

Just to be clear - I enjoyed the book for the most part but I thought it could have been written a lot better and don't really understand why folks gush over it - not a big deal. I will probably see the movie.

• Locked thread