Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drunkill posted:

Reserved post.

the book was insanely bad.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Weir's book was bad. Like terrible bad.

Oh no, I've got a problem!
Let me do a bunch of math.
I fixed the problem.
Oh no, I've got another problem!

*repeat 1500 times*

The End

Should make a good movie, but the book is boring as hell.

you forgot all the terrible nerd-speak like he spent every free second on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's that even in that situation a person of that intelligence/training/age would not be "snarking" like that. it's written like the person only knows how people talk from his favorite pop culture and/or net forums.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you guys really don't understand when you link those things they sound like realistic people and not like the guy in the Martian. i don't even know why you folks keep linking them you're completely uncomprehending. i mean right there you didn't even grasp what i was saying is that even if i were to grant he's gonna be "snarky" it's that grown men don't sound like he does. the movie could be pretty good, Jaws is kind of a crappy book but ended up being an amazing movie.

how about you link them talking about the floating turd in another failed attempt at refuting me.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 6, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that doesn't make it not not poorly written or him likable in the least.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the martian being terrible came up a few times in the ready player one thread because they're written by people with about the same level of social maturity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yaws posted:

Judging by your writing, I'm genuinely curious if you've read the book. Or any book. Ever.

i have no doubt in my mind i have read more books than you have.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I read the book and now I don't want to see the movie. I think watching a guy eat potatoes while talking like a reddit comment came to life, for 2.5 hours or whatever, is going to be worse than reading it was.

don't go making correct posts like that or people might say you must not have read the book or even a book in your life

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i would say about average you don't have to be smart to read a lot of books. you just need to have free time and no life

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Antti posted:

He recommended Ready Player One to someone and I died a little inside while thinking "Of course, of course."

lol. the martian came up more than once in the ready player one thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sith Happens posted:

Why do you guys hate fun? How did your little souls get so broken that pirate-ninjas™ are a source of such angst?

lol is this serious

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

broken clock opsec posted:

How about an insane inferiority complex about Mad Max Fury Road (the best movie of the year) (and it's criminal that it's being out-grossed by such pablum as Pitch Perfect 2 *spit* and Terminator: Genisys).

you had it until you threw genisys in ther esince it's unmitigated garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Senjuro posted:

Saw the movie last night and now I get to be one those guys that tells everyone that the book was better. The things that made the book popular, the in depth science and engineering details and the clever and creative problem solving, are almost completely gone. The constant feeling that Mark has to keep using every bit of ingenuity in him to keep on surviving is just not there. I'd only recommend the movie if you think you can enjoy the same story but without those elements in it. Also the movie spends a much larger percentage of time with the Earth characters than the book does which really undermines the strong sense of isolation you're supposed to feel when it focuses on Mars.

this movie could be bad and it'd be still better than the book. this is like the easiest "the movie is better" situation in history.

• Locked thread