Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I thought The Martian was a cool and good movie that was about 70% as entertaining and good as the book, which I very much enjoyed mostly due to Watney's irrepressible snark which was sadly toned down in the film.

Things I liked
Matt Damon's performance, mostly
Jessica Chastain's face
Sean Bean not dying

Things I didn't like
Donald Glover's proto-sperg behavior
Some of the necessary plot cuts for the sake of screen time (Sojourner comms shorting out, dust storm, rover rear end-over-teakettle)
Ending changed for the sake of changing it (Commander going out instead of Beck, Watney having to puncture his suit after all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

a shameful boehner posted:

Also WE GET IT RIDLEY SCOTT, the mission commander likes disco. It doesn't have to be repeated throughout the loving movie over and over and over again.

To be fair, this was brought up ad nauseum in the novel as well. Not an excuse, since it was slightly irritating, but it wasn't all on Scott.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nessin posted:

Has anyone watched it twice, once in 3d? I originally went to watch the movie in 3d but the theater screwed up and played the standard version. It has been bugging me for the past week that I really want to see it in 3d but not sure if the 3d is worth another 10 bucks and 2 hours of time even though I enjoyed the movie and will probably pick it up at home.

I've only seen the movie once, but I saw it in 3D. It really doesn't add anything and to be honest I wish I'd seen it in 2D. I can't even remember any of the 3D effects aside from some of the mountains/valleys on the Martian surface when Watney's traveling.

• Locked thread