Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I read in the "Who Greenlighted" thread some people talking trash about how horrible the book was written. It's by no means a masterpiece, and clearly written by somebody who comes from a more technical background than a person who went to school for writing, but I really enjoyed it.

From the view of somebody who enjoys some nitty-gritty tech stuff, it scratched the right itch for me, and I found the main character to be very likable.

Although the trailer does provide some spoilers, I don't think it's that crazy. It really only touches on things that happen in the first half of the book, it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I imagine book spoilers should be blacked out. There are likely some people who want to discuss the movie who haven't read the book, and I imagine the movie will remain mostly faithful to the book.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

We get it.. you don't like the book. Are you going to present an argument as to why, or just complain over and over that "he wouldn't act like that"?

I'm an engineer and have met some people in my career that would say some of the vilest things you could imagine, they were also extremely intelligent people. I'm sure for as many examples of technical people who "don't act like that" I can provide a list of people who do. It's a moot point, move on.

zandert33 fucked around with this message at Sep 7, 2015 around 19:34

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Sorry, was meant toward Groovelord Neato

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

drunkill posted:

edit: Hey Americans, when it comes out how many 'Fucks' does Watney say? There were two here, wondering if your censoring/ratings stuff would allow the second for a pg film.

I've seen PG-13 movies that have 2 (can't remember which off the top of my head), it can't be sexual though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, is it really that different from living in your parents' basement and only communicating with people through your computer for a few years

Without cheetos and Mountain Dew? God forbid!

• Locked thread