Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I enjoyed the movie, particularly the "epilogue" at the end. While I enjoyed the book, I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended with Watney's (presumably cut) speech from one of the earlier trailers about how humanity pulls together when one of our own is in peril. I much prefed the way the movie ended, showing what the crew of Ares III, Watney and all, moved on to do with their lives. The film had better closure and I think I'm more likely to give it a second viewing than I am to give the book another read-through.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

COOL CORN posted:

His research for the book was literally just Googling and watching documentaries.

According to his interview with Adam Savage (which is somewhat interesting in its own right)

Also, he originally wrote the book as a serial and would go back and correct the science he got wrong after the fact!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I didn't have much of a problem with the storm causing the damage it did, to be honest. It did a good job of jump starting the plot and also gave us the great scene where another storm was threatening to tear down Watney's half-assed repair of the broken hab. I think the Martian succeeds as a largely accurate scientific movie, and hopefully it will get some kids interested in engineering or space sciences that otherwise wouldn't have been.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and I felt that most of the cuts they made from the book were fair. The acting and cinematography I thought were both impressive, and the intensity is great. However, as a big fan of the book, there were two things definitely missing: When Kapoor says "I wonder what he's thinking right now", and meanwhile Watney is thinking "Why can Aquaman talk to whales? They're mammals, not fish".

I don't know if viral videos are spoilers or not, but this promo explains why the bit about Aquaman never made it to the silver screen. A wasted opportunity, I think! I would have rather seen it on a movie screen than a YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wygmxzp6VzY

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Nail Rat posted:

Well the divorce might not have been his decision. It is an interesting moral quandary though; do you spend another two years away from your kid who probably is young enough that he doesn't even remember you, or do you let a good friend starve to death millions of miles from home? It's just kind of glossed over in the movie, but I guess you can tell from the ending that his wife would rather he let Watney die.

On the other hand his wife knowingly married an air force pilot who probably spent most of his career deployed before he landed an astronaut gig. I mean, no one would be 100% fine with having their husband spend so much extra time away from their family, but I'd wager a military family would be better equipped to handle the time apart than a civilian one.

• Locked thread