Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What I wondered was... after they blew out the air from 80% of the ship to slow down enough to be able to catch Watney, does that mean they had an 8 month trip back to Earth with no gym and the other stuff in the rotating section, or did they have enough canned air to basically refill the entire ship after they patched the door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CommanderApaul posted:

From what I remember of the book, they had enough canned air on board to repressurize the ship from a total atmosphere loss at least once, if not twice. Once they repress, they scrubbers/oxygenator takes care of the rest.

Cool. I imagine if they'd had to make the trip back to Earth in zero g with no ability to exercise and in cramped quarters, they'd be in pretty bad shape when they got there.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Weir's admitted he hosed that up due to not being good at chemistry.

Not everyone can be Isaac Asimov. I forgive you Weir, good effort.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

I think the idea was that it was a freakishly powerful storm. Think of it like having a building that can stand up to a category 4 hurricane. There's always the possibility that a cat 5 will ruin your whole day, but chances are excellent that that won't happen in the next two years.

See humans show up on a previously pristine planet, start doing their bullshit science stuff, driving around these big oversize cars, and suddenly storms are getting more powerful and it leads to the abandonment of the entire planet.

The science is settled, people.

I also saw not a single living polar bear on that whole planet.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Gravity was contradicting itself every other scene with how "gravity," conversation of momentum, and poo poo like that worked. It was an enjoyable movie but was actually a little jarring in some parts, for me. "Wait a second, five minutes ago that worked a different way..." kind of stuff.

I've still watched it about 5 times. Story-wise, it's a fun movie.

• Locked thread