Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thanks for this. It looks useful, though I see a bunch of their links on the page just don't work since they seem to be setup incorrectly. :v:

Comrade Koba posted:

Everyone should get in the goon guild, maybe we can even get enough people to run dungeons some day. :unsmith:

Been playing casually for ~5-6 years now and I don't think I've ever grouped with another player. :smith:

I'd be down for this. I'm just playing catch up on my Captain when I have time to log in and they're just going on 102. Since I did a month of VIP I'll probably dump a bunch of my destiny into xp boosts since the combat boost stuff doesn't seem remotely worth the cost for a short buff. Even in the past I remember it being a "you can use it to help in raids or you can just play slightly better."

Minas Tirith's layout is awful from a gameplay perspective and I hope the game doesn't make you run around there too much, though fast travel between circles is a thing at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Evil Fluffy posted:

Minas Tirith's layout is awful from a gameplay perspective and I hope the game doesn't make you run around there too much, though fast travel between circles is a thing at least.
It’s fine for levelling, but the corresponding story chapters are basically a continuous nag to get you to use store tokens for instantanious travel to the quest NPCs

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be down for this. I'm just playing catch up on my Captain when I have time to log in and they're just going on 102. Since I did a month of VIP I'll probably dump a bunch of my destiny into xp boosts since the combat boost stuff doesn't seem remotely worth the cost for a short buff. Even in the past I remember it being a "you can use it to help in raids or you can just play slightly better."

I could be wrong but I seen to remember the most useful destiny effects were the cleanse at the very bottom and the hope buffs, but yeah do whatever really.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

The servers seem to be struggling under the current load of players. I had been tolerating a fair bit of latency due to being based in the UK but I've had a couple of nights now where the rubberbanding and delayed actions make the game literally unplayable.

Kind of a kick in the teeth after buying VIP. At least Square gave out free gametime after the login issues for Endwalker - I can't really see SSG doing anything like this!

I don't think they should be charging premium MMO prices without the infrastructure to back it up but I guess they just don't have the expertise or investment to do anything about it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Server lag has been a issue for several months, at least. This is just making it worse, I'm sure, but it's not new.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1519020452190081027

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That’s cool but lag is making gundabad unplayable right now :(

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Oh dear, what the hell am I doing reinstalling this game? Haven't played since 2010ish I think.

Guess I have to start a new character since my old Silverlode characters can't be transferred off right now...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think I'm going to just level my Captain up to 130 or whatever and then eventually decide who to use the 120 and 105 boosts on. Probably Champ and Beorning but who knows. Beorning does seem neat but yellow line looks like it has a bunch of form and buff juggling.

Natsuumi posted:

Oh dear, what the hell am I doing reinstalling this game? Haven't played since 2010ish I think.

Guess I have to start a new character since my old Silverlode characters can't be transferred off right now...

At least you'll be able to make your new character level 120, and another can be 105, and another can be 50. :v:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Oh dang natsuumi's back! Should we start taking bets on whether fran is next? :coal:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I friended people who said they wanted an invite the other day. I'll be on after 5pst if anyone needs invites on Landroval.

Everyone's trying to figure out what new LIs do and either anxious about who to valar boost or sad they did it on accident lol

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

fenix down posted:

Oh dang natsuumi's back! Should we start taking bets on whether fran is next? :coal:

Aaaaah poo poo I've been trying to remember Fran's name forever

Well Nat's got her toes back in the waters, this time as a rune-keeper. If I gotta start over at least I can be something useful to a group. Not gonna use a level boost though, I wanna do it all over again (which I've already done too many times, having had every class maxed back when the level cap was 60).

Any way to know when they're gonna enable closed server character transfers? I'd rather not consider those characters lost.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
my guess is never since they haven't done it in years and probably have no one around who knows how to read from the old server files

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Getting that done should've been a higher priority.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Disappointing. I had a lot of neat stuff. I guess I'll have to live without my front yard tentacle.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Natsuumi posted:

Disappointing. I had a lot of neat stuff. I guess I'll have to live without my front yard tentacle.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, we could get a replacement in a couple minutes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can only assume that if it's from the watcher in Moria anyone can solo it in about 30 seconds using a level 120 character, with 29 of those seconds being fight load time and walking into range of the mob.

e: fighting the turtle used to be so fun when Moria and Mirkwood were the endgame. Sure, a lvl 65 party had an advantage vs a lvl 60 fight but you'd still see groups screw up and lose. It was such a basic but fun dps race of a fight.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

It really was. The legendary servers brought some of that old joy back briefly.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Getting back into this with my 14 year old account and dragged my boyfriend along for the ride. Have a few questions after getting to the early 20s.

How do you deal with power draining monsters? I don't seem to notice it happening until my power is at 0, and I don't feel like it's from spamming abilities. First time it happened was in the Great Barrow.

How does skipping the story quests work? I notice that there is a zone to the North of Bree being advertised by questgivers, but the Story quests are pointing me east to the Lone-Lands. Is is something you can pick up later if you wanted to try the Northern zone instead?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The storyline quests will take you to North Downs after Lone Lands, if that's the zone you're talking about. If you're talking about the forest area to the northwest (Wildwood, iirc), that was added much later and I don't think the story quests ever go there.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Most of the main story quest is skippable if you don't want to do it, and yeah you can go back and do them later if you want. I think most of the chapters unlock with levels rather than with the quest progress so it won't be long before you find yourself with multiple chapters active.

Do the Bingo Boffin quests too! They're real fun imo and there's some pieces of home decor you can get through it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Vadun posted:

How do you deal with power draining monsters? I don't seem to notice it happening until my power is at 0, and I don't feel like it's from spamming abilities. First time it happened was in the Great Barrow.
Depends on the class, but typically it's a disease that can be removed with a potion. However, sometimes the mob will re-apply it, so if you already burned power potion then just run up and right click on em to auto-attack.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like Intro to Trestlebridge was what I was thinking of.

Must have confused myself due to 'North Barrow" and "North Downs" being similar.

The disease makes sense, we both have a disease removal so we'll need to pay more attention.

Just need to be able to find people to run instances with now, but I know that's a lot to ask in a 15 year old game with no incentives for old content

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Vadun posted:

Thanks for the advice. Looks like Intro to Trestlebridge was what I was thinking of.

Must have confused myself due to 'North Barrow" and "North Downs" being similar.

The disease makes sense, we both have a disease removal so we'll need to pay more attention.

Just need to be able to find people to run instances with now, but I know that's a lot to ask in a 15 year old game with no incentives for old content

Join the discord! There's more people on now than usual and you can probably find someone down to clown.
https://discord.gg/ynTWY3Rj

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Finally made it out of Moria. Lothlorien is really nice after 10 levels of caves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm doing the epic quests in Minas Tirith and... wow this sure is a lot of "here's an Epic quest that tells you to go do fetch quests for other NPCs" nonsense isn't it?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm doing the epic quests in Minas Tirith and... wow this sure is a lot of "here's an Epic quest that tells you to go do fetch quests for other NPCs" nonsense isn't it?

Is that a complaint? Sounds like someone needs to go check in with Lord Elrond again

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Late evening dance parties on Landroval

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Is that a complaint? Sounds like someone needs to go check in with Lord Elrond again

I'd skip ahead but I'm not sure if I'd miss anything of interest, like the actual battles at Minas Tirith. I mainly play for the story but "spend hours running documents as an errand boy" is a waste of time tbh.

I'm not worried about missing out on XP since I'm already halfway to 103 and even if I ended p short, the alt account I made has a 120 beorning on it who could carry my Captain through whatever xp I'd need to get caught up with. I used it to see how it'd do against the lvl 100 raid-tier warband south of Osgiliath and it tore through the thing in no time at all and I imagine it can solo up to 110-115 3man stuff too, if not lvl 120 stuff like warg pens and sword halls.

e: Looked on the wiki and saw that 3-4 quests ahead of where I am give class trait points so I guess I'm sticking with it. :v:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 2, 2022

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

does the lore-master end game yellow rotation actually involve summoning and de-summoning four pets constantly to keep all their debuffs up? that's what lotrohq suggests and i get it but :effort:

e: ^^ yes, stick with the minas tirith quests to do all the badass poo poo there. it's a bummer that there's so much filler but the set pieces are worth it (plus class pointz)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kaysette posted:

does the lore-master end game yellow rotation actually involve summoning and de-summoning four pets constantly to keep all their debuffs up? that's what lotrohq suggests and i get it but :effort:
It helps a little on T4+ raids, but it's more essential that everyone is geared up and knows the boss mechanics.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

A dev has commented on one of the many threads regarding lag here. I'm not really a server toucher but those words seem to be in the right order. I hope "Soon" means actually soon rather than in a year or two because it's quite difficult to play at peak times these days.

"Raninia posted:

Lag continues to be a problem, and we continue to work on it. I understand it's frustrating that it continues to happen, but I can honestly say, I don't enjoy us having to constantly deal with this problem any more than y'all enjoy experiencing it.

Here's a quick update as to where we are now:
Overall, performance is in a better place than when Gundabad released, despite larger player concurrencies and overall player population. "Better" doesn't mean good, but it's nice to see that the months we spent working on various improvements over the past six months have born some fruit.
With Update 33, we saw a huge influx of players, the likes of which we haven't seen in at least 6 years. This has led to worsening performance across all worlds. We even thought we'd lost a Landroval blade - someone's gonna use this to try and argue we are or aren't virtualizing, we still are, but VMs still gotta live somewhere - but it went down temporarily and was successfully revived. We also re-rolled out a fix we'd introduced for 32 and then disabled for 32.0.2 because of issues related to the Spring Festival. It's gone really well and has further reduced some of the issues we're seeing.

We have in the works, and in various stages, several initiatives, some of which I've spoken about before:
64-bit servers are closer, but they have been just one can of worms after another. A lot of the game is built on assumptions about underlying architecture, so it's led to a lot of digging and reworking, but it's making progress. I don't have an ETA yet, but I've been told "Soon." This is a constant conversation I have with the folks involved, and I'll be getting more updates later today.
In part based on data we've been provided, we've sussed out previous issues, and are building better tooling to help us identify problems and their solutions faster. There are several things happening within here, but most of them won't have any immediate player-facing impact, since they'll just make it easier for us as we're solving the problems, not solve any itself. Nonetheless, this is important, and the next one should be ready as soon as this week.
Our deprecation of the 32-bit client is related to this work, as some of the improvements we're looking to make require 64-bit. Those next set of changes have been in testing now for a few weeks, and will hopefully get stabilized soon. Further improvements to the 64-bit client are coming, again based in part on player reports and data that have been provided, so thanks again for sending that stuff to us. Keep it coming
Later this week, we're also hoping to have several sets of new features ready for internal testing, that will help with some of the sources of lag around communication with the game databases. That's another avenue we're looking at to chip away at the problem.

There's a bunch of other stuff that's also down the line, but isn't as heavily focused atm, so don't want to speak about it too much yet. And this doesn't include changes we're making to our creation processes for new updates that will reduce the stress those areas place on clients and the game server, some of which we've seen benefit what we've released with the Angle and Yondershire, as well as future stuff to come.

We're still looking at this, we're still working on it, and we will continue to. A significant portion of the engineering effort that is being done and planned for the coming year is focused on continuing to improve the performance of the game for everyone. Thanks for your patience, I know it doesn't always come easy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That post just reminded me that this game's so old it was originally coded in an era where 64-bit programs just weren't really a thing and by the time it started to matter on a sufficient scale the game was already into its F2P lifecycle. "LotRO still has to run with 32-bit limitations" would explain a lot. I guess a similar example would be how FFXIV ARR had a bunch of limitations due to having to be able to run on a PS3 and as soon as that was no longer a thing they were able to make bigger areas and do stuff that the PS3 simply could not do period.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
this is server side as opposed to client side though. All the post really said was "we're still working on it, no ETA" using a lot of words.

there's also no requirement for a 64-bit client to talk to a 64-bit server. It's all a data packet, unless you're terminally lazy and just sharing code between client and server (this is common).

moving to 64-bit shouldn't be the bottleneck for performance at all, I would be willing to guess the servers are very CPU-bound and just taxed out on polling the state of all the hobbits in the shire and the current state of their pies

source: me, who's worked on MMO servers

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 3, 2022

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

just put lotro on the cloud

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Free and custom servers when

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Where do I find slugs to kill for deeds in yondershire google is not helping at all.

Edit: found them in the northwest most swamp in the shire not in yondershire they really should separate those in the deed list

Also man Yondershire is so chill I can legit say it is worth the points for it a its just a super comfy zone

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 6, 2022

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Are there any indications of when the next level cap rise may happen?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It goes up with every expansion, I think? So probably 1.5-2 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don’t know when they put them up there but you can buy brawler/the latest expansion with points now.

I read brawler was bad? I’m gonna punch things to death anyway.