Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Level 50 eh? I'm in Moria and right around there. Maybe we could get an on-level group to run them and then the Moria instances? I know that's a lot to ask but hopefully we'll see a small flourish of activity soon due to server transfers.

I think you can get goons to run it with you at some point, but on-level almost assuredly not.

Post-server transfers, I'd think you'd be able to find a PUG though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Level 50 eh? I'm in Moria and right around there. Maybe we could get an on-level group to run them and then the Moria instances? I know that's a lot to ask but hopefully we'll see a small flourish of activity soon due to server transfers.

I can't remember what level you need for the watcher but it's in the 50s, when you hit that post here and with a decent strategy 2-3 level 100s can kill him for you in a couple of minutes. As far as the grand stair and the other instances so, it's been so long that I might not remember my way around but I'd help with those too. What's your name/class? For the watcher, you really just need a couple of champs spamming ferocious strikes on him to keep his buffs off, and obviously everyone needs to bring some food and a potion or two if you don't have a healer.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Nindurred - Champ. The one thing is that I kind of want to do it with an at-level party. I know that's a LOT to ask since none of the content gets scaled (gently caress you Turbine! :argh:) but I'm interested in "raidin' for realz!" and getting the experience you would have gotten back in the day.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Nindurred - Champ. The one thing is that I kind of want to do it with an at-level party. I know that's a LOT to ask since none of the content gets scaled (gently caress you Turbine! :argh:) but I'm interested in "raidin' for realz!" and getting the experience you would have gotten back in the day.

That will pretty much almost definitely require you to wait for the new servers, some of the old instances actually do scale but that isn't one of them. You'd almost have to set a date like a month from now requesting a lot of people, but none of them under level 50 or over level 60 all meet you online for an even that might result in dying a bunch of times even with new gear and buffs and stuff. But if that fails and you still want to see every inch of Moria, you know who to call Thorin Oakenshield at your service etc etc

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Of the moria instances, running turtle is probably one of the more efficient...just need a lot of dps.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I think that the Shire should be the starter area for all players' first toon, regardless of race, because it's the area that best represents what makes LOTRO special. Sure, it's a whole pile of fetch quests and boar butts, but the difference is that when it's hobbits asking, it feels natural and proper and kind of endearing, instead of an arbitrary time-waster. That spoiled pie really matters to these little guys.

So for any new players who are thinking of starting up the game, if you don't go with hobbit as your race, the first thing I suggest you do is get your butt to Bree, or Celondim, or Thorin's Gate, and take the swift horse to Michel Delving (the Bree swift horse is at the West Gate, not the South Gate). Go north from Michel Delving into Little Delving and look for Mundo Sackville-Baggins to start the Shire prologue epic. Follow it or follow whatever other quests you want to pick up. If you don't find it at least a little charming I weep for your soul.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

bombhand posted:

I think that the Shire should be the starter area for all players' first toon, regardless of race, because it's the area that best represents what makes LOTRO special. Sure, it's a whole pile of fetch quests and boar butts, but the difference is that when it's hobbits asking, it feels natural and proper and kind of endearing, instead of an arbitrary time-waster. That spoiled pie really matters to these little guys.

So for any new players who are thinking of starting up the game, if you don't go with hobbit as your race, the first thing I suggest you do is get your butt to Bree, or Celondim, or Thorin's Gate, and take the swift horse to Michel Delving (the Bree swift horse is at the West Gate, not the South Gate). Go north from Michel Delving into Little Delving and look for Mundo Sackville-Baggins to start the Shire prologue epic. Follow it or follow whatever other quests you want to pick up. If you don't find it at least a little charming I weep for your soul.

I started playing this game again a few years back, maybe more and played in the kinship for a little bit (got burnt out on gaming for a bit and never picked back up though) and played as a hobbit for my first time, a hobbit minstrel. Can confirm that the Shire is definitely the best starter zone, even if the actual quest gameplay was a little bland. The shire is amazing, I kinda miss that little singing fucker. And my 50 champion (I quit playing the first time before moria released)

This thread makes me feel a little nostalgic. It wasn't with goons, but LotRO was my first real mmo experience. I'd played WoW but never hit level cap or got into a guild that I felt a part of a community. LotRO was what really sold me on the whole mmo thing for awhile. Also Rift was a ton of fun to learn with people who'd never really raided before. Kinda frustrating though. I never did get to complete helegrod though

Ironically enough my first mmo experience with goons was in Aion. I quit playing before release

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2015

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The new thread piqued my interest, so I loaded up LOTRO for the first time in a year. Immediate thoughts.

1) I left myself on a goddamn cliff surrounded by succubi somewhere in Moria. I have no idea what the Christ I'm doing anymore.
2) No one else in the kinship is on-line. Aww.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

The new thread piqued my interest, so I loaded up LOTRO for the first time in a year. Immediate thoughts.

1) I left myself on a goddamn cliff surrounded by succubi somewhere in Moria. I have no idea what the Christ I'm doing anymore.

What level are you? There's a good amount of level 30s and 100s playing again, with some scattered in between. Also maybe I should add it to the thread, which I'll update soon but everyone post your character name if you're new or returning to the game and want some silver coins and pipeweed, also to the player Nazgun of the kin Nazgun: If you do not get level 100 tomorrow your kin party is canceled and I sell all the pipeweed and buy a mithril pocket watch or something.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Conskill posted:

I left my main in the Auction House in Bree. I hate Bree's AH with the fury of a thousand suns.

I also came in to three minutes' worth of scrolling "Your LI points have been refunded." "Quest Removed: [Old Quest]" "Quest Added: [New Version]".

It's a little overwhelming.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

extra stout posted:

to the player Nazgun of the kin Nazgun: If you do not get level 100 tomorrow your kin party is canceled and I sell all the pipeweed and buy a mithril pocket watch or something.

A Nazgun is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

But yeah hopefully I can fulfill that destiny tonight :)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Game is fixed. I was able to log in. Bomb gave me leader back since he was holding it for me...but we're still going to collect potential leaders as previously planned and see what people want to do. Now that I know people are going to be on more, I'll be logging in more frequently. Also, check out Raidcall...it's a free raid chat program so if we actually want to chat as a kin over voice that's an option. I already have a channel setup just search for TheNazgun. ID 11573734

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What fixed it? What was the problem?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The old userpreferences file was saved in documents...so when I reinstalled it tried to use the old settings. Support told me to delete that file so it would propogate a new file and it worked.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

I bought moria years ago when things were more lenient for subscribers it is possible to level to that xpacs content without paying money or am i boned?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

shirunei posted:

I bought moria years ago when things were more lenient for subscribers it is possible to level to that xpacs content without paying money or am i boned?

Yes and no, what level are you and how many turbine points are on your account? Ever buy any quest packs? Depending on those answers and if you mind running some deeds, you can get to level 48 (entrance to Moria quest line in Eregion) for I don't know... zero to ten dollars?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

extra stout posted:

Yes and no, what level are you and how many turbine points are on your account? Ever buy any quest packs? Depending on those answers and if you mind running some deeds, you can get to level 48 (entrance to Moria quest line in Eregion) for I don't know... zero to ten dollars?

There's also skirmish grinding just to get high enough level.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

moebius2778 posted:

There's also skirmish grinding just to get high enough level.

True, we always get similar questions and it's really hard to answer because the real range of the answer is always: Everything is absolutely free if you used to win lotteries, twitter contests, or just have time to grind. Everything is worth just going VIP for if you have no time, no points built up, etc.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

The Moria intro quest can be(and always should be) started at level 45. That way, you get your starter Legendary Items ASAP. :viggo:

shirunei posted:

You only need to cover the range from 33-45. The Epic Quest Line + Evendim quest pack will take care of most of that. Pick out one other zone to buy that will help you grind out the additional XP necessary to get to Moria:

Trollshaws(beautiful, but hard to get around in)
Misty Mountains(snowy and kinda bland, but it includes Goblin Town)
Angmar(Mordor North. Very evil and depressing. Northeastern corner has a lot of group quests)
Forochel(Hoth in Middle Earth. Huge travel distances in blank white snow)
Eregion(Sunny, wide-open with lots of apple trees)

If you really want to spend as little as possible, do as much of the Epic Line as possible(which will take you through all of those zones except Eregion) and base your pick off of your impression of each.

Or alternately, just VIP for a month and use any of those zones. VIP is mostly a non-issue once you hit the expansions.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 25, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Those sound about right, Misty Mountains is way better than Forochel just purely for being actual lore stuff you'll know from the books, even if Forochel has actual Scandinavian sunsets and cool goofy spelled names and poo poo. Also I believe a few more ways to travel through Trollshaws was part of it's revamp update, so I'll once again say I love that area.

Congratulations to the creative player who named his character after the kin Nazgun, who hit level 100 tonight folks. Live your dreams.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Also I believe a few more ways to travel through Trollshaws was part of it's revamp update, so I'll once again say I love that area.

That was part of a planned update, not 100% sure that it made it into the game since I haven't run a character through there in years. All that Trollshaws needed was a few more horse routes and some more quests and it would be a great zone. It's definitely one of the prettiest environments in the game, second only to the Shire in my opinion.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

extra stout posted:

Congratulations to the creative player who named his character after the kin Nazgun, who hit level 100 tonight folks. Live your dreams.

Thank you that was me :)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

That was part of a planned update, not 100% sure that it made it into the game since I haven't run a character through there in years. All that Trollshaws needed was a few more horse routes and some more quests and it would be a great zone. It's definitely one of the prettiest environments in the game, second only to the Shire in my opinion.

I really like Gondor, to me it's like they took Rohan and said "ok these people have that but better architects and also the sea".

Also Nazgun: Are you trying to gear up now? I'm always up for running Pelargir, the two man version of it is actually your most efficient and easy way to get the best jewelry and essences in game right now in terms of time/effort/reward. I still run the six man version too, but the loot never really seems better and there's a really good chance one person in the group will do something dumb enough to bring your rating from platinum down to gold, where as I hit platinum effortlessly in the two man since I'm pretty geared and so are my buds.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Gondor's atmosphere is a vast improvement over Rohan's, I think. Just being able to see the sea is pretty great. We were pretty used to feeling permanently landlocked in this game until Gondor came along.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yup I guess that's the next step after hitting 100 : Gearing up :) That and working on my Historian faction.

I sure am up for some runs with you that sound great !

Also, someone sent me a Blemished Symbol of Celebrimbor, if anyone can make a second age lvl 100 LM staff that would be very sweet.

Edit : Oh heh it appear world transfer is back in the launcher, however silverlode is not up for leaving yet.

AskYourself fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 26, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh man, I haven't played this in years but it would be nice to finally get out of the lothlorian hell I was in the last time I fired it up.

Also why the hell did they ruin the old chill theme music and good lord I've forgotten how to play entirely. :negative:

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

AskYourself posted:

Also, someone sent me a Blemished Symbol of Celebrimbor, if anyone can make a second age lvl 100 LM staff that would be very sweet.
I have a guilded woodworker and I imagine that's the class that would do staves. But that toon's got 30 minutes left on an XP tome and I don't want to log into it until I'm ready to burn as many levels out of it as I can... I'm feeling very torn.

Also, for other people as they reach 100, there should be several more Blemished Symbols of Celebrimbor in kin chest. And a handful of lower-level symbols as well for people who are still leveling toons.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bombhand posted:

I have a guilded woodworker and I imagine that's the class that would do staves. But that toon's got 30 minutes left on an XP tome and I don't want to log into it until I'm ready to burn as many levels out of it as I can... I'm feeling very torn.

Also, for other people as they reach 100, there should be several more Blemished Symbols of Celebrimbor in kin chest. And a handful of lower-level symbols as well for people who are still leveling toons.

I should go drop some stuff in that chest now that you mention. Or maybe I'll just wait for after transfer. Maybe we could get a pool going for Dol Amroth tokens as well? At the very least people can use them to unlock the siege quest if not actually buy the armor pieces.

We should try to get together and do a Tarlang's crown run or something, those were hard to come by

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
So since I haven't been playing, where are they at with transfers at the moment? Have they started allowing them for select servers?

I'm looking forward to uniting my Hobbit burglar from Silverlode (Frogasm) with my Hobbit Guardian on Landroval, wherever the Nazgun end up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ukrainius maximus posted:

So since I haven't been playing, where are they at with transfers at the moment? Have they started allowing them for select servers?

I'm looking forward to uniting my Hobbit burglar from Silverlode (Frogasm) with my Hobbit Guardian on Landroval, wherever the Nazgun end up.

Transfers haven't quite gotten to the point where you can do that yet, but I doubt it'll be much longer. I'm looking forward to make my Landrovalian end up with the Nazgun too.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I should go drop some stuff in that chest now that you mention. Or maybe I'll just wait for after transfer. Maybe we could get a pool going for Dol Amroth tokens as well? At the very least people can use them to unlock the siege quest if not actually buy the armor pieces.

We should try to get together and do a Tarlang's crown run or something, those were hard to come by
Tarlang's Crown for sure, that'll be pretty fun. Library tokens are easy to come by, but they're not going to be able to let people skip to the training exercise; the quest chain you get from Beriadur requires you to complete four of the reputation quests down in the camp to advance it, even if you have your library rep maxed. It's the tokens for the other factions and in particular the Bank and Warehouse, that can be tough to get if you can't find a group.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

ukrainius maximus posted:

The only transfers that are allowed right now are ones between the 5 destination servers. They just posted an update on the LOTRO forum yesterday. Servers with lower populations are getting to move first, they estimate mid-September for it all to begin. Transfers for servers like Silverlode are currently estimated for "October to November". So it could be 2-3 months before we get to move still. :negative:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

The only transfers that are allowed right now are ones between the 5 destination servers. They just posted an update on the LOTRO forum yesterday. Servers with lower populations are getting to move first, they estimate mid-September for it all to begin. Transfers for servers like Silverlode are currently estimated for "October to November". So it could be 2-3 months before we get to move still. :negative:

Totally ok with this. Should be enough time to get through East Gondor and be raring to go forward.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm not done with East Gondor on my main either, but we've been waiting for months ever since they announced that full-account transfers would be a thing, and it's gone from "summer" to possibly November.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Bert_Bartleby

New Bingo Boffin rewards are in game, don't click if knowing what you get for helping a fat shut in hobbit go on his adventure is considered a spoiler! I believe the pet is just a recolor of a central Gondor pet, so today is a good day for children and sheep lovers and a bad day for cosmetic pet hustlers of the auction house.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Will the horse trader dude still be selling the older rewards back in Michel Delving? Had I known it was a one time thing I'd of picked up the rabbit too.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Will the horse trader dude still be selling the older rewards back in Michel Delving? Had I known it was a one time thing I'd of picked up the rabbit too.

I believe he is in both spots, selling separate things, but can't remember for sure. Almost sure of it. Even if not, you could get the rabbit in ten minutes on an alt, mail it to your main, so far none of the Bingo pets have been BOA.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

He's still in MD, as well.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

bombhand posted:

No worries I can wait a bit :) Also I could duo with that other character of your if you'd like so you can benefit from that tome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Bert_Bartleby

New Bingo Boffin rewards are in game, don't click if knowing what you get for helping a fat shut in hobbit go on his adventure is considered a spoiler! I believe the pet is just a recolor of a central Gondor pet, so today is a good day for children and sheep lovers and a bad day for cosmetic pet hustlers of the auction house.

I'm wondering if I should be saving my tokens for something awesome down the road, or just buying things as I get enough tokens. I figure since you can run the quests again on alts, you won't have enough tokens to buy everything in the end by just running one character through them.

edit: I don't know if you're rewarded with a Blemished Symbol of the Elder King from the book quests at some point, but they're going for 140-150 gold on Silverlode. I checked Landroval and they're at 75. If they're not automatically rewarded, that's enough of a reason to wait until we change servers.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 28, 2015