Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

The Anime Fans of ADTRW Take on the Real World!! Ganbatte!!

live action films...they're like anime...but real!! we all know about our impeccable taste in anime (akikan FTW) but how about films? More specifically: Asian Films!!! there's a lot of poo poo i could write about asian filmmaking but you didn't sign up for a history lesson so let's get down to the details.

What
We'll be watching (good) live action asian films every week and then posting about them in detail. then we'll go get some nandos

When
the next movie gets posted in the weekend and then you watch it whenever!!! woo!!!

Films?
suggest a movie if you want to watch it with everyone! the upcoming movies list is always open. i pick the next movie we watch semi-randomly but if everyone wants to see a specific movie let me know.

How?
buy the movie or get it some other way.(torrent links are allowed if teh movies unlicensed !!!)

Current Upcoming Movies Pool

quote:

Tamako in Moratorium
Memories of Murder
Branded to Kill
As One
Love Exposure
Kagemusha
Love & Pop (made by Anno...WOW!)
Thirst (2009)
Noroi
In the Mood For Love
Chungking Express
Yi Yi
The Hole
Stray Dogs
Vive Lamour
Last Life in the Universe
Save the Green Planet
3 Idiots
Fallen Angels
The Face of Another
Survive Style 5+
Oh! My Zombie Mermaid
Occult
Ryu ga Gotoku
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (lol)
Rajio no Jikan
Happiness of the Katakuris
Harakiri (1962)
House
The Man from Nowhere
Mother
The Chaser
Adrift in Tokyo
Kamikaze Girls
Drunken Master
Peking Opera Blues
Farewell My Concubine
Millennium Mambo
Still Life
Like Someone In Love
Ikiru
Departures
The Kids' Return
Late Spring
When A Woman Ascends The Stairs
In The Realm Of The Senses
Sha Po Lang
Eat Drink Man Woman
2LDK+Aragami (Duel Project)
Flowers of Shanghai
Tokyo!

Movies we've watched so far:

western film culture has become degenerate. the asian film industry is the last hope of a dying medium (´・ω・`) - Daniel Lopatin

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #1: Linda! Linda! Linda! (2005)

Pinda! Pinda! Pinda! (リンダ リンダ リンダ) is a movie about a group of teenagers getting together to play some cool rear end songs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kBdIG-NcY) It's a film by Nobuhiro Yamashita who's known for his films about young people feeling lost in life. His movies always invoke a strong sense of melancholia in me. I haven't seen the movie yet either so i'm not gonna write too much here. Just don't expect it to be exactly like K-on!

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNEeKAJQ-qY
discussion starts here

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 23, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thank u for taking my suggestions. good movies all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Somebody PM me how to get Linda Linda Linda.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Have you tried hanging out the window and yelling Linda! Linda! Linda! really loud yet?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will watch Linda Linda Linda. I've a few of the more dramatic scenes over the years, but I never got around to watching it. Soon, soon this will be fixed.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

same

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Memories of Murder is one of the best films ever made so I am excited for that

also Kiyoshi Kurosawa's films are cool so we should watch one of those at one point

Parallax fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 20, 2015

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

I watched a stream of it a couple months ago and don't remember where. good movie though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Parallax posted:

Memories of Murder is one of the best films ever made so I am excited for that

yeah!

also i got a dl link for linda linda linda so if a mod condones it i can post it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Linda Linda was on Ouendan so it's already good in my book

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Space Flower posted:

Linda Linda was on Ouendan so it's already good in my book

Oh drat, I knew that title sounded familiar

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

yeah!

also i got a dl link for linda linda linda so if a mod condones it i can post it

just post it

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Can we add movies to the pool? If so, I'd like to add Bird People in China. It's really good, and doesn't have crazy violence in it like you'd expect from a Miike movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd11Yxpa8IM

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Can we add movies to the pool? If so, I'd like to add Bird People in China. It's really good, and doesn't have crazy violence in it like you'd expect from a Miike movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd11Yxpa8IM
yeah you can! i'll add it to the list

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd like to add Thirst (2009) and Noroi to the pool, if possible.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That reminds me, I need to watch that movie where they trick Momoiro Clover Z into being in a found footage horror movie by telling them they're going to be filming a variety show.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

list needs more non-Japan/SK films, so: In the Mood For Love, Chungking Express, Yi Yi, The Hole

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Parallax posted:

list needs more non-Japan/SK films, so: In the Mood For Love, Chungking Express, Yi Yi, The Hole

:agreed:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Parallax posted:

3 idiots, fallen angels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stray Dogs, if you want to do some extremely slow movies. Or vive lamour which a bit more palatable.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

3 idiots, fallen angels

Last Life in the Universe, Chocolate

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 20, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i like save the green planet and all, but its korean. i could name another 20 korean and japanese films easily and the poster wanted non korean japanese!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

i like save the green planet and all, but its korean. i could name another 20 korean and japanese films easily and the poster wanted non korean japanese!

Psh. I could name twice that without breaking a sweat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

Oh, I didn't recognize that's what he meant by SK

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i'd like to add Thirst (2009) and Noroi to the pool, if possible.

Parallax posted:

In Training posted:

Stray Dogs, if you want to do some extremely slow movies. Or vive lamour which a bit more palatable.

boom boom boom posted:

Last Life in the Universe, Save the Green Planet

Davincie posted:

3 idiots, fallen angels
added em

In Training posted:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
cant believe i forgot about this one. added and i ordered a blu-ray copy for every poster in the thread

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 20, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://avistaz.to/movie/186-linda-linda-linda

since non-licensed stuff is ok here is a dl, if you need an invite find a way to contact me i got like 20

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

https://avistaz.to/movie/186-linda-linda-linda

since non-licensed stuff is ok here is a dl, if you need an invite find a way to contact me i got like 20

thank you.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

where is the download button

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

click on one of ther versions, i suggest the 720p one

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

click on one of ther versions, i suggest the 720p one

I don't think you can see that if you aren't a member

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i think i need an invite

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i think i need an invite

Same here.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Budget Prefuse posted:

Movie #1: Linda! Linda! Linda! (2005)

Pinda! Pinda! Pinda! (リンダ リンダ リンダ) is a movie about a group of teenagers getting together to play some cool rear end songs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kBdIG-NcY) It's a film by Nobuhiro Yamashita who's known for his films about young people feeling lost in life. His movies always invoke a strong sense of melancholia in me. I haven't seen the movie yet either so i'm not gonna write too much here. Just don't expect it to be exactly like K-on!

Its funny how the blue hearts 80s japanese punks were so happy their music is now girl band light music club music. I wonder if anyone ever thought they were hardcore or if the newspapers and cops hated them anyway.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they were definitely hated by the media and iirc its mentioned in the movie as well

Davincie fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 21, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My two favorite asian slice of life movies were My Sassy Girl and Beck, I'd love to see some more in the same idea as those, can't wait :D

Beck sounds kind of similar to Linda Linda Linda! A band about a bunch of kids coming together to make a band. Coming of age, etc. It's based off the series that gave me one of my favorite moments in anime

e: Love Exposure is on there. I bought the DVD forever ago and never could convince anyone to sit down and watch it.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

accept my steam invite davincie

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

let's please watch The Face of Another someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Davincie posted:

they were definitely hated by the media and iirc its mentioned in the movie as well

it would be cool if there was any evidence of this

• Locked thread