Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Macky :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm in love with the girl who sits on the roof with a cooler full of juice reading manga all day.

she is the coolest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of nice looking tracking shots in this movie.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of nice looking regular old shots too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When the squad can't remember when the night ended

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

she is the coolest

Her third act reveal made my heart leap up through my throat

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wonder if she's famous or significant outside of this movie? She had that Gal look to her and was kinda good at guitar, kind of figured she was in a band or something.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Her third act reveal made my heart leap up through my throat

i think Moe getting up and singing liek that was crazy too. if her finger wasnt broken she wouldve been a rockstar

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i think Moe getting up and singing liek that was crazy too. if her finger wasnt broken she wouldve been a rockstar

the part was cool and with Son seeing Moe sing really well but she goes up gives it her all anyways.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I really enjoyed this. It was very relaxing and fun. Cosigning the love for roof girl, she had a cool speaking voice. I liked that the movie didn't beat you over the head with the male teacher being encouraging and whatever happened with the teacher from the korean exhibition. A lot of movies would have given both those characters whole subplots probably with cheesy inspirational speeches and drama. It was cool how the movie gave us just enough to go off with the woman working with Son at the exhibit, seeing her linda linda notes and then showing up outside the gymnasium.
I'd like to suggest 2046 because I want to see what some of the more film fluent goons have to say about it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
2046 is great, as is Linda Linda Linda. Also I want to suggest watching All About Lily Chou-Chou because it's my favourite movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

I really enjoyed this. It was very relaxing and fun. Cosigning the love for roof girl, she had a cool speaking voice. I liked that the movie didn't beat you over the head with the male teacher being encouraging and whatever happened with the teacher from the korean exhibition. A lot of movies would have given both those characters whole subplots probably with cheesy inspirational speeches and drama. It was cool how the movie gave us just enough to go off with the woman working with Son at the exhibit, seeing her linda linda notes and then showing up outside the gymnasium.
I'd like to suggest 2046 because I want to see what some of the more film fluent goons have to say about it.

The awkward teacher in charge of the band clubs was very endearing

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

2046 is one of wkw's least coherent movies and should be saved until after watching in the mood for love. it works best as a director's response to the (western) critical reception of that movie

seconding lily chou chou. people here will probably like it. especially eva fans.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember 2046 being Wkw's weakest movie but I suppose I could give it a second chance.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Discounting the US cut of The Grandmaster (which shouldn't exist in the first place (gently caress you Weinsteins)) its probably second or third. My Blueberry Nights is his weakest, and As Tears Go By is weak on the basis that it shows its seams as a First Movie. This is all relative of course these are only weak in comparison to some of the best and most well regarded movies of the past 30 years. But its interesting to consider wkw's place in the western critical canon because he is seen as a luminary director over here while in hk he is regarded as just an ok one especially compared to contemporaries like. Ann Hui, Tsui Hark, his mentor Patrick Tam. etc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cbvQSMihak

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I watched The Curse and I liked it. As far as found footage stuff goes, I enjoyed the scary moments.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The OP of this thread houses a pretty insane list of movies...can't wait to see what's next

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

In Training posted:

The OP of this thread houses a pretty insane list of movies...can't wait to see what's next

Love Exposure and Yi Yi are the two best non Disappearance of Haruhi movies of the 21st century. I'm excited

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Movie #2: The Bird People in China (1998)

It's a Takashi Miike movie!!! A salaryman and a member of the yakuza are sent to a remote chinese village to evaluate some jade. Hilarious hijinks ensue We get to see some really pretty turtles.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st1MwQD8V8Y
discussion starts here

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 2, 2015

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Good pick OP

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
When I was little this trailer was on my Kung Fu Hustle DVD and I was completely captivated by it. The film I was imagining then was definitely better than the actual film, which I saw a few years ago. I don't know how well it stands up to the rest of his work having only seen In The Mood For Love and the beginning of Chungking Express (I really want to finish that one) but it's a total visual treat, especially the parts in 2046. The costumes, set designs and colors are really nice but I don't know anything about shot composition so it would interesting to hear peoples' thoughts on that.

Bird People looks really cool from the trailer and I'm excited to watch it on sunday.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Budget Prefuse posted:

Movie #2: The Bird People in China (1998)

It's a Takashi Miike movie!!! A salaryman and a member of the yakuza are sent to a remote chinese village to evaluate some jade. Hilarious hijinks ensue We get to see some really pretty turtles.

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st1MwQD8V8Y

drat i really like that poster

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm all queued up for watching it tomorrow night. Nice chill movie to close out the weekend.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I've already watched if before but I'm going to rewatch it tomorrow :cheerdoge:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't watch tonight or tomorrow , but on Friday I will be able to , and I will.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
I really liked Linda Linda Linda. The characters were cool, the songs were fun, there was a lot of diversity with long tracking shots, weather and stuff provided atmosphere. The one place it fell apart I think was in coming to a head, the editing leaves a lot of stuff hanging. We have like 3 main characters (kyoko, then son, then kei), none of the little subplots ever get resolved, and we have some scenes that are just kind of there (like when they're practicing after school, on the roof, when the bassist is being cheap at the supermarket). It lacks a defining statement. I guess letting it all hang until they have to put it behind them for the performance could've been a point but even that gets blown off when kei and rinko make up. After teasing us with the band for the whole movie I kinda expected them to play the whole set at the end instead of just one song.

Linda Linda Linda is a slice of life and seems to be a lot like every other movie/drama/anime about high school at first. But instead of the boyless landscape you get in anime like kon there's actually a lot of relationships and intrigue. Instead of the perfect people being perfect you get in dramas kei is actually kind of a bitch to rinko for no reason and her boyfriend's a bum which should reflect poorly on her, shes a bad girl. The cheesy line at the beginning where the nerds are coaching that girl into being dramatic with "this is the last day of our lives after this we have to grow up and be adults" seems like the director taking a jab at other slice of life but for keis friends like the lives-on-the-roof punk girl and her boyfriend and probably her and anyone else who drops out to keep playing music their lives are probably over because japanese society frowns on that kind of nonconformity.

Son's character was cool since they let a non japanese kind of "star" but she doesnt really wander out of not being able to express herself territory with the exception of the one time she thanked kei.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

doomisland posted:

I liked the shot in the beginning as she walked past all the classrooms as well.

The shot where kei gets up from playing guitar on the roof is also a super long take which is crazy.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

In Training posted:

I'm in love with the girl who sits on the roof with a cooler full of juice reading manga all day.

I'm sure takako is in some kind of real band, but she doesn't show up on the japanese credits on yahoo or anywhere :/

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

oh yeah also when that teacher was trying to be chill and be like "I'm cool and you can practice at night" and rinko looks at him like go suck on turds motherfucker and he is confused

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

I'm sure takako is in some kind of real band, but she doesn't show up on the japanese credits on yahoo or anywhere :/

Odd. Also agreed on all your thoughts. I think my favorite moment was the group practicing late at night and trying to whisper sing, and they start giggling, and then the scene just...doesn't end. It's like 1.5 minutes of breathless giggling, it's wonderfully reminiscent of late night young teen hangouts. Cool scene

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here is her band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyst-Bpaeas

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's a clip of her performing in her underwear. she's known for taking of her clothes during shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcwAC6pSOk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She's more powerful than I could have possibly imagined

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Davincie posted:

here's a clip of her performing in her underwear. she's known for taking of her clothes during shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcwAC6pSOk

this is ironic given that shes wearing her jersey pants under her skirt in the middle of summer during the movie

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I finally got around to watch Linda Linda Linda and I think my favorite thing was that Son just starts speaking Korean around the others. Like, she just wants to communicate with them in her own voice instead of her awkward Japanese, so she just does it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Also I just found the director of LLL did a live action version of Cream Lemon, so we should watch that :mrgw:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I watched Pulse and it was boring but at least its got Koyuki Kato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

pulse is a formalist masterpiece

• Locked thread