Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COOLGUY TRUE
Jan 7, 2005

Too True! Cool, too.
Jar Jar Binks is accused of being a racist character. He has defenders, but it seems like this is one of the strongest narratives about him. I am legitimately interested in finding out if this is true. Same with the trade federation aliens, who are accused of being Chinese stereotypes.

A friend of mine argued that his voice was not any specific racial group but was meant to represent a mythological idea of an outsider culture. So in english, it would make sense to emulate partially non-english ways of speaking.

I thought this theory was interesting and could be confirmed by bilingual people who can listen to Jar Jar speak in french, german, and what-have-you and check to see if either:

a) jar jar and other aliens always sound like the same racial stereotype no matter the language they are translated into (racist/more racist)
b) jar jar and other aliens sound different in each dub, indicating that their voices are relative to the accent and dialect of their intended audience. (not racist/less racist)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Bless you, sweet goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I wish I could help, but I dunno what the gently caress he's supposed to sound like in English.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I Googled up the foreign trailers and he always sounds the same, albeit with a deeper pitched voice in a couple. It's just a Rastafarian accent speaking whatever language the trailer is in.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The German Jar Jar is voiced by Jim Carrey's German voice actor.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

This proves that racist themes involving the dark races transcend borders and cultural context.

Meesa gonna toucha your nono.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
In Spanish he basically has the same voice and adds "sa" to pronouns. He doesn't have an accent though, but accents are rarely used in Spanish dubs, unlike in English.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Spermando posted:

In Spanish he basically has the same voice and adds "sa" to pronouns. He doesn't have an accent though, but accents are rarely used in Spanish dubs, unlike in English.

I remember in the Castilian Spanish dub of Shrek 2 the fairy godmother's front desk guy (who is French-accented in the American version) is given an over-the-top French accent in Spanish as well.

Mockery of the French binds our cultures.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015
Trade Federation Aliens sound like a bad stereotypical African accent in French. Not really sur for Jar Jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

In English I kinda pegged the Trade Federation guys as more Japanese than Chinese. Greater Outer Rim Prosperity Area.

• Locked thread