Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Louis swiped the last of his bowl clean with a bread hunk and popped it into his mouth. "Yep, best way to stretch an order of crawdads, make 'em in a gumbo. Thanks for splittin' the bill, gents."

Louis left out that without the split, he'd have had to eat bean soup for dinner again.

OOC:

Name:
Louis Broussard

Background:
The rules for cops are clear. Grift is expected and accepted, but you can't make waves. Shake down a street vendor for a few dollars, you're fine. But smack down a man who's tuning up his wife, and you're in trouble. At least when that man's the nephew of the mayor and connected to "influential people." Suddenly, every dollar you've ever received under the table, every morphine phial you looked the other way for, every favor you did while moonlighting, they dig all of it up and hit you with it.

Just like that, Louis was out. Service in Europe during the war, a solid arrest record, none of it mattered. In his 40s and dead broke, he was adrift and had only a lackluster Private Investigation gig to try and survive by. When there's a crime in his neighborhood, his former colleagues will drag him in for questioning just to harass him, but his pride won't let him leave. This is his city, he made his life here after the war, and he's not going to be run out. To avoid the stigma of his name, his agency is named "Doe Investigations" and claims a Johnathan Doe as its owner, but make no mistake it's just Louis and it's his last, best hope at making his way in the Big Easy.

Attributes:
Agility d8 (1 Point + Major Hindrance)
Smarts d6 (1 Point)
Spirit d8 (2 Points)
Strength d4
Vigor d6 (1 Point)

Skills:
Driving d4 (1 Point)
Fighting d6 (2 Points)
Intimidation d8 (3 Points)
Investigation (2 Points)
Notice d6 (2 Points)
Persuasion d4 (1 Point)
Shooting d8 (3 Points)
Streetwise d4 (1 Points)

Derived Stats:
Charisma 0
Pace 6
Parry 5
Toughness 6

Hindrances:
Poverty (Setting Default)
Enemy (Major) - Mayor's Nephew, name TBD
Stubborn (Minor)
Short Temper (Minor)

Edges:
Hard (Human Edge)
Sleuth (Bought with 2 Points)

Gear:

Cash on Hand $11

Boots, 3 lbs, $5
Hat, $3
Overcoat, 3 lbs, $15
Pants, 1 lbs, $2.50
Shirt, 1 lbs, $2.50

Bullets (Box of 100, Pistol), 2 lbs, $1.50
Flashlight, 2 lbs, $1
Lighter, $1
Shoulder Holster, $2.50
Wristwatch, $5

S&W DA (.38), 2 lbs, $25, Range 12/24/48, 2d6, RoF 1, 6 Shots

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis looked from Duke to the band and back. "You used to serve food? How'd you go from that to playin' for your meal?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis gives a nod at the question. "Yeah, I'm with Doe. John's out of town right now, seeing to a legal thing over in Mississippi, but I'm minding the shop while he's gone." He slips his portion of the bill on the table with the rest before continuing. "I'm sure I can help, or at least refer you to someone better if I can't, Mr...?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

gently caress! If this kid screws up a client for me...

Louis trid to keep his voice casual as he answered Duke. "No, John's my boss. My name's Louis. Louis Broussard."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis considered Bozeman's situation carefully before he responded. Never promise too much because you need the money was something he learned the hard way. People acting out of sort could be a lot of things, but drugs topped Louis's suspicion list. If the Black Hand are involved, Louis couldn't stop them, but at least he could confirm for Bozeman that it was them.

"Ok, Mr. Bozeman, here's what I can promise. I'll look into the fighting and the man you found the other night. If I haven't found anything within a week, I'll refer you to someone else and you'll only be on the hook for incidental expenses. If I find something, you'll pay incidentals plus Doe's usually daily fee. I do not promise to stop whatever's going on, though I will if I can, but I'll do my damnedest to find out who is messing with your business.

"If that's agreeable, I'll start on it tonight."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

"Sorry, Duke, when work calls you can't turn it away. Almost done here, then we can finish our meal without talk of gangs and such."

Louis nodded to Bozeman. "Like I said, Mr. Bozeman, I'll get started on it tonight. I'm sure you'll see me at the bar, but I'll want to see the body first. What're the chances I'll find it in the city morgue?"

Louis knew Bozeman was keeping things from him, but who wasn't in New Orleans? If it was important, it would out in the investigation. If it wasn't, why push the paying client?

Ok, I have ideas on roping in everyone, except Duke. Louis is planning on paying the doc to do an exam of the dead body, for example. But does anyone have an in-character way to bring Duke along?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

All gang members? Now things were getting interesting. Unfortunately, there was Duke to think of. A colored man has enough troubles in New Orleans, but get him involved in the gang landscape...

"Stays at the table, absolutely. Speaking of staying at the table... Duke, I'm about to ask some very specific questions that will lead to a less than comfortable conversation for you to hear. If you stay, you need to promise you won't go blabbing our business around the city. Ok?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis nods at Duke's response. "Ok then."

He turns to the others at the table. "Doc, I want you to have a look at the body, a properly commissioned semi-legal autopsy. Not too expensive, but it's a legitimate expense. Ray, anything you know about the gangs in the area making a move against each other? You have contacts I don't."

Edit for spelling

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 1, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis nods at his colleagues. "Again, thanks for the meal. It was... more interesting than I think any of us were expecting. I'll be at the Bucket tonight, and if anyone learns anything in the mean time I'd love for you to meet me there and let me know what you learned." He pauses, a small grin on his face. "First round on me if you show, yeah?"

That said, he stands and gestures to Beattie. "Our job's easier if the body is in the morgue, so let's start there. If it's not... well, then we'll need to pay the Crowbars a visit, I guess. Shall we go?"

OOC: Sorry, I had a weird few days. Louis thinks the body is the best first move, and doesn't see the need to invite anyone besides the doctor along. I figure that everyone else can focus on learning the mood of the city, tracking down contacts, and so on. The Bucket after an intro investigation seems like the best rally point; if anyone objects, I'd say do it in character as a good way to build up rapport, good or ill, between the players.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis nods at Beattie. "I should be able to manage something."

Louis raises an eyebrow at Duke. "You already answered my question, can you keep quiet about our conversation? You said yes. Were you lying?"

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis looks a moment longer at Duke, but it's clear he's not speaking. "Fine, just remember, you stayed sitting when I suggested you leave.

"C'mon, doc, let's go to the morgue."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You mean Duke, not Louis, right?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

As Louis led Dr. Beattie towards the desk, he whispered back to the doctor, "I don't know him, just follow my lead."

He stopped in front of the desk and gave the uniform a brief nod. "Louis Broussard, Dr. Beattie, here to see the battered body found in Crowbar territory." As he talked, he spun the visitor log around on the table and began to sign himself and Dr. Beattie in. Louis knew he couldn't smooth talk this guy, but if you act like you're supposed to be there, and scare the poo poo out of anyone who questions you, you can usually get by.

I know I'll need a roll eventually, but so far Louis hasn't done anything roll-worthy. But when this poor cop questions him, then I'm likely going intimidation.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

Louis finished signing in Beattie and himself, and spun the log book back towards the uniform. "Not to worry, I remember the way." He gestured to Beattie and began walking towards where he remembered the body storage room to be.

I'm not rolling until he tries to stop us. Because I'm going to try and scare the poo poo out of him if he tries to stop us, and I'm only pulling that speech out if I need to. Especially because it's going to have long-term consequences for Louis.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

gently caress."It's ok, doc. Let me take a look, and we'll get out of here. We'll head for the Bucket, maybe get you a drink."

Louis leans over the body, eyes scanning for anything he can pick up. Doctor at the table when the case drops in his lap, it seemed fortuitous, but no, it's the one doc in the Big Easy who freezes up when the patient's already dead to begin with. Leaving Louis holding the bag. Luckily, Louis has experience at holding the bag, and his eyes are more steady than his gun hand at this point in life.

1d6.open(6)=4, 1d6.open(6)=9 Notice Roll (sorry, just got to a computer I could do the roll at!). I think that's a good enough roll to notice anything important?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

One man? Louis found it hard to believe, but the marks from the bruises were clear. "C'mon, doc, let's get out of here before they figure out we're not supposed to be here." He gestures for Dr. Beattie to follow and walks out the door.

"I don't know about you, but I need a drink."

To the bar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Louis Broussard

"... telling you, Doc, it was one guy, with massive hands." Louis led Beattie through the door, still talking about the body. "And I don't know how often you punch someone, but it hurts. That level of damage means a lot of punches, and that level of damage, suggests we're looking for a single, big man with busted hands, rather a lot like..."

As he walked and talked, Louis also was scanning the joint. No sign of Ray or Harry, exits and bathroom there, and out of the blue Duke talking with...

Louis stopped dead in his tracks. "... actually, rather a lot like the man Duke's talking with right now."

Sorry, weekend got away from me.

• Locked thread