Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

So we're never going to get that bit of the story?

I think we are. I'm betting he's a huge presence in the stuff leading to the "true" ending. Remember it involves replaying the game on expert mode which adds extra bosses (which might be some extra story bits) leading up to 10ish new missions.

I'm actually wondering if the "normal" ending will end Venom's story somehow and we'll switch control to Boss for the sort of new game+ as if we're seeing events from his POV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mokinokaro posted:

I think we are. I'm betting he's a huge presence in the stuff leading to the "true" ending. Remember it involves replaying the game on expert mode which adds extra bosses (which might be some extra story bits) leading up to 10ish new missions.

I'm actually wondering if the "normal" ending will end Venom's story somehow and we'll switch control to Boss for the sort of new game+ as if we're seeing events from his POV.

Yeah I think it's this exactly. The first ending is discovering that Venom is not BB, and then the true ending is the Venom Snake bossfight.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Who is the legendary gunsmith? Is it Sigint? Do we know at all?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BottleKnight posted:

Who is the legendary gunsmith? Is it Sigint? Do we know at all?

Sigint is a Patriot. It's probably someone new.

Flagtag
Jul 28, 2005
http://www.twitch.tv/machinegunclemmy

Some French guy is streaming the prologue right now.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Flagtag posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/machinegunclemmy

Some French guy is streaming the prologue right now.

Channel closed. That was quick.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
So the new trailer, seems a LOT like Big Boss is Skullface? Time travel? Tyler Durden Fight Club stuff?

Some of that could explain how in the GZ tapes, he repeated a lot of BBs lines.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

superh posted:

So the new trailer, seems a LOT like Big Boss is Skullface? Time travel? Tyler Durden Fight Club stuff?

yeah i'm wondering if skullface is the darkside of BB, hence why he keeps seeing him all over the place. tho that flame burnt corpse bb from the trailer makes wonder if lol it might be a coma dream set just before he wakes up in mgs4 and hes reflecting on poo poo while zero prods him.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The leaks shown on stream of the prologue show Venom with both his eyes. That doesn't really prove anything though, since Big Boss didn't have his eye removed, just burned out because of Ocelot's muzzle flash.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

superh posted:

The main issue is of course that Skull Face appears to really exist. He's mentioned by NPCs in Ground Zeroes, the guide suggests he's his own dude and that XOF existed, he has a unique backstory that's supported by the tapes in GZ and so forth.

If I had to guess, I think it would go down like this: Skull Face is real and is the real villain of the main game, but dies at the end as suggested in the guide leaks (crushed by rubble, left to die by Boss/Kaz, finished off by Huey). Then he just starts showing up again in the postgame stuff, at which point he's very clearly a Venom hallucination or something. If the spoilers about Venom are true, this is when the story starts breaking down his sense of identity and Skull Face becomes the demon on his shoulder. Perhaps because he's primed Venom to some extent with his dialogue while still alive.

Also worth noting the Outer Heaven logo is a skull with a big hole in it, right where Venom's shrapnel would be. :tinfoil:

Also also worth noting, the MGS1 part of the trailer focuses on Liquid and Mantis (who we know are in the game as kids), Sniper Wolf (sorta reflected in Quiet), and... Gray Fox. :tinfoil:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way Big Boss is Skullface. It's probably a metaphor thing.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

the wildest rear end posted:

The leaks shown on stream of the prologue show Venom with both his eyes. That doesn't really prove anything though, since Big Boss didn't have his eye removed, just burned out because of Ocelot's muzzle flash.

If the dude was missing an eye he'd probably just get a prosthetic eyeball instead of wearing an eyepatch to cover his eyehole.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

There's no way Big Boss is Skullface. It's probably a metaphor thing.

It's obviously a metaphor. It's how the cycle of revenge keeps repeating.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if ZEKE is still at the bottom of the ocean in Phantom Pain. Maybe the new Metal Gear is built with some of its parts?

EDIT: According to the Neogaf spoiler thread there's a mission to recover the AI Pod from Peace Walker, so I guess Skullface got ZEKE out of the ocean.
Also about the new Metal Gear: the cockpit is so small that only a child can pilot it.
EDIT: About Volgin: He isn't an illusion. His body was found after MGS3 and was kept alive, though he's brain dead. He's being controlled by Psycho Mantis in Phantom Pain.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 25, 2015

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
So, uh...about Huey...

Dr. Strangelove is Otacon's mother.
Strangelove and Huey have a huge falling out after Huey suggests using a young Otacon as a test subject for piloting the Sahelanthropus/ST-84 Metal Gear.
Dr. Strangelove dies after she accidentally gets stuck inside the mammal pod and Huey lets her suffocate inside.
Huey also somehow causes a parasite outbreak at Mother Base and is banished afterward.
Huey goes on to live after being banished from Mother Base and meets Emma's mother.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are a ton of streams right now of people who have the game early. Konami keeps pulling them down but I saw one and saw the first 10 minutes of the hospital sequence. It raises a lot of questions.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RatHat posted:

There are a ton of streams right now of people who have the game early. Konami keeps pulling them down but I saw one and saw the first 10 minutes of the hospital sequence. It raises a lot of questions.

Yeah, someone uploaded one of them to Youtube.

HUGE loving EARLY GAME SPOILERS, DON'T WATCH UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qgeu7Bk-o0&feature=youtu.be

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Obvious huge spoiler in the following URL:

:siren: NeoGAF spoiler guy now claiming he has proof of the game's ending and stuff. :siren:

Allegedly, Venom Snake is indeed not Big Boss, and is the one who goes on to establish Outer Heaven and get killed by Solid Snake in MG1. The actual Big Boss is the one "killed" in MG2. No, I don't know why the real Big Boss is a cyborg in that case.

Dunno if any of this is true but there's pictures so make of that whatever you will.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^Damnit

Welp, somebody finally unlocked Mission 46 and spilled the beans. The Neogaf post is too big to copy/paste so I'll just link it MASSIVE SPOILERS OF THE WHOLE PLOT http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176512519&postcount=3508

A lot of people aren't gonna like this but it seems like it's done pretty well so whatever. It's not like it changes the amazing gameplay at all anyway.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hopkins FBI posted:

So, uh...about Huey...

Strangelove and Huey have a huge falling out after Huey suggests using a young Otacon as a test subject for piloting the Sahelanthropus/ST-84 Metal Gear.
Dr. Strangelove dies after she accidentally gets stuck inside the mammal pod and Huey lets her suffocate inside.
Huey also somehow causes a parasite outbreak at Mother Base and is banished afterward.
Huey goes on to live after being banished from Mother Base and meets Emma's mother.

:shepface: Kojima must just love making Otacon's life more and more hosed up as the series goes on. So now he's the son of a man that let his partner suffocate to death over an argument about using him as a test pilot for a private military's nuclear launch platform and then drowned himself after his next partner hosed Otacon. After this he gets unknowingly wrapped up in helping to create another nuclear launch platform that almost gets hijacked by terrorists, and then until the end of MGS4 his life is a procession of his crushes, family, and best buddy dying. At least he seems to be doing pretty well by Rising.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Nakar posted:

Obvious huge spoiler in the following URL:

:siren: NeoGAF spoiler guy now claiming he has proof of the game's ending and stuff. :siren:

Allegedly, Venom Snake is indeed not Big Boss, and is the one who goes on to establish Outer Heaven and get killed by Solid Snake in MG1. The actual Big Boss is the one "killed" in MG2. No, I don't know why the real Big Boss is a cyborg in that case.

Dunno if any of this is true but there's pictures so make of that whatever you will.

This is the first thing I've seen that explains why in the hell you would be playing a clone/double of Big Boss and not Big Boss. It does kind of close one plot hole I guess (how he was killed in MG1 but came back in MG2), but it really seems like an extreme measure to do that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hopkins FBI posted:

So, uh...about Huey...

tl;dr Huey is a shithead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kojima linked Phantom Pain to MG1 better than I thought he would. Of course he had to retcon a few things but whatever. The ending of MGS4 makes more sense now too.

EDIT:

Funky Valentine posted:

tl;dr The Emmerich family is cursed.

FTFY

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 25, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There's some contradictory information that needs to get cleared up though. One spoiler claims Big Boss set up Outer Heaven on his own, but then for some reason sent Solid Snake to kill his phantom, while another insinuates that Venom decides to continue being Big Boss and sets up Outer Heaven himself. In the former case, what was Big Boss's actual objective? In the latter, I guess that means Gray Fox was ACTUALLY captured in Outer Heaven, and held prisoner by the Fake Big Boss? It raises so many more questions about the first two Metal Gear games than it answers. :psyduck:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nakar posted:

There's some contradictory information that needs to get cleared up though. One spoiler claims Big Boss set up Outer Heaven on his own, but then for some reason sent Solid Snake to kill his phantom, while another insinuates that Venom decides to continue being Big Boss and sets up Outer Heaven himself. In the former case, what was Big Boss's actual objective? In the latter, I guess that means Gray Fox was ACTUALLY captured in Outer Heaven, and held prisoner by the Fake Big Boss? It raises so many more questions about the first two Metal Gear games than it answers. :psyduck:

Er, where did you hear the first spoiler? Cause that makes no sense.
EDIT: Oh, in the ending scroll. I think that's just a typo.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 25, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RatHat posted:

Er, where did you hear the first spoiler? Cause that makes no sense.
It's literally in the spoiler image of the timeline: "While commanding special forces unit FOXHOUND from a position in the U.S. military, Big Boss establishes the fortified military nation 'Outer Heaven' in South Africa. The Outer Heaven Uprising occurs, but is quashed by Solid Snake, who kills Big Boss's phantom."

This implies that either Big Boss and Venom continue to work together, the former as FOXHOUND commander and the latter as the Big Boss of Outer Heaven, OR Big Boss establishes Outer Heaven and Venom fucks it up by posing as him and taking command, OR the "true" Big Boss wasn't the one who set up Outer Heaven (Venom was) and the timeline is weirdly worded.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Either the former or a typo I'm guessing. I'm sure Kojima will clear it up on twitter post release or a patch will go through to fix the typo.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This is kinda dumb tbh

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder if that's fake, since it isn't using the revised Outer Heaven logo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, the twist could be spotted from a mile away, which is fine. But its kind of a tortuous retcon. So if Zero is comatose what is the deal with the rest of the patriots? Did they just decide to take over? Were the AIs in effect by this point?

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 25, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"My dead gay doppelganger"

-Big Boss

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wonder if that's fake, since it isn't using the revised Outer Heaven logo.

Yeah I don't see why they would use the old logo

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The timeline could easily be faked if somebody wanted to, so maybe. I do wonder about the first image though, like where it comes from and if it's not real then how'd they make it. Could be swiped promo stuff? But I've never seen it before.

EDIT: That said there are a lot of details in the leaked scenes and missions strongly suggesting Venom isn't Big Boss, so even if the rest is bullshit maybe that part really is true?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A lot of people are not gonna like this twist, that's for sure.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
For example one thing that really jumps out at me is some of the flashbacks to the Mother Base attack are from angles that are slightly different from the ending of Ground Zeroes and appear to be from the POV of an individual who clearly isn't Big Boss because he's looking at Big Boss and Kaz. In the hospital thing, you go to all this trouble to create a face and then the doctor says "this is you" and shows you a mirror of Big Boss and then gets killed so it didn't matter what you put as your face because you're "supposed" to be Big Boss. If true, we're essentially playing as one of our S-Rank soldiers from Peace Walker.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

the wildest rear end posted:

Yeah I don't see why they would use the old logo

It reeks of half truths to me, just to rile up the fanbase.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I knew that Kojima could outdo himself with stupid story twists. Game'll still be amazing though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The connection makes mg1 make a lot more sense.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nakar posted:

For example one thing that really jumps out at me is some of the flashbacks to the Mother Base attack are from angles that are slightly different from the ending of Ground Zeroes and appear to be from the POV of an individual who clearly isn't Big Boss because he's looking at Big Boss and Kaz. In the hospital thing, you go to all this trouble to create a face and then the doctor says "this is you" and shows you a mirror of Big Boss and then gets killed so it didn't matter what you put as your face because you're "supposed" to be Big Boss. If true, we're essentially playing as one of our S-Rank soldiers from Peace Walker.

You're playing as the medic. He's not special or anything, he just happened to be in the right place and the right time(or wrong place and time). I think him being voiced by Keifer in Ground Zeroes is just an easter egg that hints at the twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

RatHat posted:

You're playing as the medic. He's not special or anything, he just happened to be in the right place and the right time(or wrong time). I think him being voiced by Keifer in Ground Zeroes is just an easter egg that hints at the twist.
I'm aware of that, I just mean the Medic is a faceless dude in a balaclava in GZ and he's described as one of Big Boss's most trusted soldiers. He's literally one of the top-tier grunts in MSF, some random masked dude with a codename and that's all Big Boss ever knew about him. It's actually funnier than him being Gray Fox, because it means that the medic guy is just some dude who had good skills and thus was of use to Big Boss back during Peace Walker, so now he's just promoting him to Big Boss while he hangs out in the shadows.

• Locked thread