Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
My wife and I are making a move to the northeast from Texas and we're bringing our 3 cats with us. We're already making sure that our new place will allow for 3 cats over the standard 2 (or none, for some apartments) but we're having trouble figuring out the best way to bring the cats up with us.

Are there any popular and safe pet travel services? I'd love to bring them in the car with me but it's likely just going to be me driving. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that and leaving them in there even just for a minute to use the bathroom. Even then, the list of motels that allow for pets, let alone 3 pets is very short and I'm not sure how many would be en route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I'm moving in a few days from Seattle to near St. Louis with 2 cats and a 70 lb pit mix - hotel reservations have been fun!

We bought 2 medium collapsible dog kennels for the cats and they'll be hanging out in them on the folded down back seat. We have the room for that because the dog is riding in the moving truck with my husband. I'm putting small disposable litter trays in the cages but I highly doubt they'll use them until we get to the hotel. They'll have access to water but feeding will be done at night or late in that day's drive. It's what I've done before and it worked well so I'll see if these two cooperate.

Hotels are hard and we had to break up or driving days based on where we could get a room. Look up pet friendly hotels on any of the travel sites and go from there. One thing to note is that just because one location of a hotel chain says no to cats that doesn't mean they all do. Call the hotel direct too and ask what their policy is and explain to them your need. It might help.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I drove from PEI, Canada (northeast of Maine) to Los Angeles in July with 2 cats. Took 5 nights not counting two weeks of border delays.

I had them both in one dog carrier in the back seat. They had a cat bed at first, but they never used it until one of them took a watery poo poo in it in Buffalo (I don't blame him). Since I was driving 10-14 hours a day, I replaced the soiled cat bed with a mini litter box and after that it was smooth sailing. They used it 1-2 times a day and did a good job covering things up so there wasn't any smell other than the litter itself. No water in the kennel, but I made sure it was the first thing available when we got to the hotel each night. They survived, minimal whining.

For hotels, I tried to use Red Roof the entire way just to avoid the hassle (pets friendly, no fees, decent enough hotel for a night). They covered me for most of the trip, but west of Iowa they don't have many locations so I used http://www.bringfido.com/ the rest of the way. Helps simplify pet-friendly searching, gives some simple reviews, and you can just use Expedia/whatever to look up the hotel once you have a few in mind if you don't trust their in-house reviewing system. I did find that some of the policies for some hotels were not up to date, but in general it was super helpful in the areas I needed it.

Most of the hotels list 2 pets max but I never had anyone bother to ask/check/look so 3 should be fine as long as they behave.

• Locked thread