Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

4 years ago when I became hooked to monogatari nonstop I always felt that rewatching everything never got old. Such was the case, I awaited more crab action next time, all was well.

1 year went by, I self inflicted PTSD thanks to Mayan shenanigans, I graduated and watched the badly named and paced second season. Too little crab, too much snake. Stopped before koi, having undergone a lovely first college year.

Last year I tried getting back in but always panicked about seeing my favorite show again after so long. Felt really bad missing the recent season but insisted on rewatching the whole thing. Up to episode 10, feeling somewhat detached, desensitized to certain jokes through ptsd, and hollow.

What should I do, considering the following above things and anxiety about catching up? I hope i havent outgrown this masterpiece or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

4 years ago when I became hooked to monogatari nonstop I always felt that rewatching everything never got old. Such was the case, I awaited more crab action next time, all was well.

1 year went by, I self inflicted PTSD thanks to Mayan shenanigans, I graduated and watched the badly named and paced second season. Too little crab, too much snake. Stopped before koi, having undergone a lovely first college year.

Last year I tried getting back in but always panicked about seeing my favorite show again after so long. Felt really bad missing the recent season but insisted on rewatching the whole thing. Up to episode 10, feeling somewhat detached, desensitized to certain jokes through ptsd, and hollow.

What should I do, considering the following above things and anxiety about catching up? I hope i havent outgrown this masterpiece or something.

maybe watching some other shows and not worrying about "catching up" would help. gatari will always be there for you to resume

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

killallgatari.exe

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Watch the new stuff and skip the stuff you've already seen

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Watch new things that aren't -gataris

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Hikaru no Go was an anime about Go and also a ghost that decided to take residence in some kid to turn him into a Go master. There was a lot of focus on Go. It instilled a desire to play Hearts of Iron in me so I did that after the requisite five episodes. That is literally all I can remember about it.

It's this, this is the anime you should watch.

Love Live
Hibike! Euphonium
Tari Tari
Symphogear
Haruchika

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rotoru posted:

Love Live
Hibike! Euphonium
Tari Tari
Symphogear
Haruchika

Love Live is a cute show that made me like idols. Go watch it.

1. Symphogear
2. Jojo Stardust Crusaders
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Gochuuman wa Usagi Desu ka?
6. Kyousougiga

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Grouchio posted:

Sounds like anime is bad for your health mate. I'd recommend cutting it out of your diet.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Grouchio posted:

rewatch nadeko's arcs, and enjoy them this time

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Space Flower posted:

rewatch nadeko's arcs, and enjoy them this time

Nadeko was the worst character until that Kaiki arc, imo

that kaiki arc being the best thing ever probably helped

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
5 stages of madoka Ep. 4-5: Let's get this done with

Show, I try to compliment you when I can but it's like you just don't want me to. You had this nice bit of subtlety going with hospital-kun (who I thought was a girl, whoops), but you can't go 5 minutes this episode without faceless background characters expositing about things you were doing a good job about showing not telling. I have never been so disappointed in a magic girl anime.

Pink continues to be passive and ineffectual. I figured out why she's the main character though. It's so she can bum around being wishy washy and make her wish at like the series finale or something. They've been playing up this whole wishing theme, and it wouldn't make sense to have all the whishes get wished so soon. So I bet pink gets to be painfully indecisive the whole series doesn't she.

Black would probably have an easier time getting people to stop signing up for her job if she could stop being moody and mysterious for 2 minutes and give a straight explanation about why her job sucks so much.

Blue decides that she "will never regret this". I bet we can guess how that ends.

Final Verdict

Well I won't be continuing this one. The flying circus scenes were fun and creative but unfortunately the show is less about them and more about discussing the ~true meaning~ of being a magic girl. I'm aware I'm not the target audience for this sort of thing, but I was under the impression that magic girl stuff was supposed to be kitschy and fun. This is like if you remade Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but had michelangelo die in the second episode, and had the rest dominated with donatello ruminating about how his brother's deeds will go unappreciated by the populace they're forced to hide from. It's the same reason I can't take batman's emotional turmoil seriously. It's because he's in a loving bat costume.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is really good you guys. I'm up to episode 15. This is probably my favorite Gundam series since the original movie trilogy. It's already way more consistent than Gundam 00, and the setting, plot, and characters all serve to reinforce the theme well.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is really good you guys. I'm up to episode 15. This is probably my favorite Gundam series since the original movie trilogy. It's already way more consistent than Gundam 00, and the setting, plot, and characters all serve to reinforce the theme well.

It keeps being good all the way through episode 24, and since next week's is the last episode, I'm guessing it's going to stay good all the way through the end.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pavlov posted:

5 stages of madoka Ep. 4-5: Let's get this done with

Show, I try to compliment you when I can but it's like you just don't want me to. You had this nice bit of subtlety going with hospital-kun (who I thought was a girl, whoops), but you can't go 5 minutes this episode without faceless background characters expositing about things you were doing a good job about showing not telling. I have never been so disappointed in a magic girl anime.

Pink continues to be passive and ineffectual. I figured out why she's the main character though. It's so she can bum around being wishy washy and make her wish at like the series finale or something. They've been playing up this whole wishing theme, and it wouldn't make sense to have all the whishes get wished so soon. So I bet pink gets to be painfully indecisive the whole series doesn't she.

Black would probably have an easier time getting people to stop signing up for her job if she could stop being moody and mysterious for 2 minutes and give a straight explanation about why her job sucks so much.

Blue decides that she "will never regret this". I bet we can guess how that ends.

Final Verdict

Well I won't be continuing this one. The flying circus scenes were fun and creative but unfortunately the show is less about them and more about discussing the ~true meaning~ of being a magic girl. I'm aware I'm not the target audience for this sort of thing, but I was under the impression that magic girl stuff was supposed to be kitschy and fun. This is like if you remade Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but had michelangelo die in the second episode, and had the rest dominated with donatello ruminating about how his brother's deeds will go unappreciated by the populace they're forced to hide from. It's the same reason I can't take batman's emotional turmoil seriously. It's because he's in a loving bat costume.
drat you Pavlov!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
he finished his five episodes, there's no reason for anyone to talk about it ever again

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Grouchio posted:

drat you Pavlov!

See mate, it's already got your blood pressure up, bad for the heart. Have you considered a youtube-based anime substitute? I hear you can't tell the difference.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pavlov posted:

See mate, it's already got your blood pressure up, bad for the heart. Have you considered a youtube-based anime substitute? I hear you can't tell the difference.
But that was a subtle dbzabridged joke mate.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Grouchio posted:

But that was a subtle dbzabridged joke mate.

Oh man that's my favorite kind of youtube based anime substitute! I should make a thread about that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Akito the Exile starts off by saying it's the month of Floreal.

Does the Code Geass world seriously use the French Revolutionary Calendar?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Code Geass character design

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
oh yeah, I'm remembering now the subtle, naturalistic characterization that is a hallmark of the Code Geass franchise

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I guess I wasn't paying attention when I watched Code Geass all those years ago, I didn't remember it being an alternate history thing

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
IIRC, Britannia came about from the British royal family fleeing to the colonies (which I guess they still controlled?) when Napoleon threatened. Neat touch on the calendar.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

IIRC, Britannia came about from the British royal family fleeing to the colonies (which I guess they still controlled?) when Napoleon threatened. Neat touch on the calendar.

I think they said Franklin sided with the Brits so the colonists lost the revolution.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The three major divergences in the timeline are the Brits kicking Rome off the isles and founding the Britannian Empire, Benjamin Franklin betraying the American Revolution and it therefore failing, and Napoleon succeeding in his conquest of Europe and founding what became the EU, exiling the Britannian nobility to the Americas.

E: Eowyn of Britannia, George Washington, and Napoleon all having Geass in their relevant examples.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

The three major divergences in the timeline are the Brits kicking Rome off the isles and founding the Britannian Empire, Benjamin Franklin betraying the American Revolution and it therefore failing, and Napoleon succeeding in his conquest of Europe and founding what became the EU, exiling the Britannian nobility to the Americas.

E: Eowyn of Britannia, George Washington, and Napoleon all having Geass in their relevant examples.

Ah, so it's a better world all around.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In episode 1 of Akito they say Napoleon was executed when he tried to become emperor.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

In episode 1 of Akito they say Napoleon was executed when he tried to become emperor.

I think he did all the work of building the EU as an empire and then got executed before actually installing himself as emperor, or something? A representative democracy took over immediately as the modern EU, regardless. None of the post-colonial imperialism crap in the mid-late 1800s happened.

There's not much of an explanation for a lot of this it's just kind of inferred by comments made by the narrator before CG episodes or based on offhand remarks by CC

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

boom boom boom posted:

Akito the Exile starts off by saying it's the month of Floreal.

Does the Code Geass world seriously use the French Revolutionary Calendar?

Not the entire Code Geass world. Just their equivalent of the European Union, since it's supposed to be a product of said revolution.

The new director likes this sort of content so he wanted to emphasize the alternate history angle more openly than the TV series.

Some of his other special interests also show up later on, with...relatively mixed results, though I still liked the OVA as a whole.

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Love Live is cute and good and fun and the whole thing is so positive and energetic. :3:

I really like the character dynamics and the way it balances the comedy with more serious moments. I also really like how well it captures the atmosphere of a small ensemble with no standards but a lot of focus. They're all determined to be the best idols they can be and to make sure the others are the best idols they can be, even if none of the have much idea of how to idol and there's more people on stage than in the audience and no one even cares about them.

Honoka shouldn't dance in the street though, that's dangerous. :( She should dance in safer places such as littleorv's av.

AnoHito posted:

Love Live is a cute show that made me like idols. Go watch it.

1. Symphogear
2. Jojo Stardust Crusaders
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Gochuuman wa Usagi Desu ka?
6. Kyousougiga

Symphogear apparently has idols, which you like, so you should watch that.

1. Ideon
2. Lupin III
3. Brigadoon
4. Strange Dawn
5. Sakura Wars

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Rotoru posted:

1. Ideon
2. Lupin III
3. Brigadoon
4. Strange Dawn
5. Sakura Wars

You should watch Lupin! I don't know which series of it you're thinking of there, but the recent series (admittedly the only one I've seen so far) is really good and fun. And I haven't seen any of the others on your list.

I'll go with a longer list this time:

Barakamon
D.N.Angel
Earth Maiden Arjuna
ef - a tale of memories
Galilei Donna
Gosick
Kaitou Saint Tail
Nagi no Asukara
Punch Line
Rinne no Lagrange
Terra e
World Conquest Zvezda Plot
Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
this is kinda weird time to be watching a anime about terrorist refugees living in Europe

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Huh, I never even considered that. Yeah.

I don't know too much about the refugee situation in Europe right now, how similar is it?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Shortest Path posted:

Huh, I never even considered that. Yeah.

I don't know too much about the refugee situation in Europe right now, how similar is it?

my understanding is that the actual refugees ahve just been doing regular crimes, rapes and the like, the actual terrorism is largely by second or third generation immigrants

also, they aren't sexy anime teens, so they're a lot less sympathetic

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
i say "sexy anime teens", but it's Code Geass characters, so they're only sexy if you're into baby giraffes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
How do the European Knightmare Frame pilots do it? They're constantly jumping around, flipping, spinning. The pilots should be unconscious after ten seconds of that

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

boom boom boom posted:

How do the European Knightmare Frame pilots do it? They're constantly jumping around, flipping, spinning. The pilots should be unconscious after ten seconds of that

Probably the same way the Lancelot would always spinkick and the Guren could do a bunch of acrobatics without anyone getting hurt.

Admittedly, the European KMF models are more jumpy, but I suppose it's all covered under the principle of actual physics not really mattering.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Do you not remember the Spinsalot or

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

this is kinda weird time to be watching a anime about terrorist refugees living in Europe

gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Van Dine posted:

You should watch Lupin! I don't know which series of it you're thinking of there, but the recent series (admittedly the only one I've seen so far) is really good and fun. And I haven't seen any of the others on your list.

I'll go with a longer list this time:

Barakamon
D.N.Angel
Earth Maiden Arjuna
ef - a tale of memories
Galilei Donna
Gosick
Kaitou Saint Tail
Nagi no Asukara
Punch Line
Rinne no Lagrange
Terra e
World Conquest Zvezda Plot
Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo

Punch Line is a well crafted show that was criminally underlooked because of the initial premise, so I say go with that!

I've been streaming OPs lately and there have been a bunch of shows that piqued my curiosity that are obscure or just once-popular things that faded away. Someone decide my fate.

Kimagure Orange Road
Sakura Wars
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Zillion

• Locked thread