Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Windowshakers just grow mold. It's what they do.

It has to do with the way the condensate pan works on those mostly. They do have a drain hole, but they also have a little wheel assembly inside that flings the water around up into the condenser to help keep it cool. And the drain hole tends to get plugged up pretty easily. So you tend to end up with a bit of standing water in there, and over time the insides just get nasty and moldy. And occasionally full of leaves and garbage too.

E. Also, dust accumulation in the vents can help facilitate the growth of mold, so make sure you're keeping it clean.
E^2: The materials used in windowshakers also help contribute to the growth of mold. Whereas you have fiberglass and metal being used in most splits/package units, window units use Styrofoam to separate the evap from the compressor/condenser area.

The reason you don't get mold inside your central AC is because your air handler doesn't get much standing water in it, has to do with the amount of dry air that's circulated though it. You pretty much constantly have dry, cool air circulating through it because of the evap coil, and it's should be properly sealed from the return to the supply, so no outside humidity can get in. Humidity control is actually a big thing in the HVAC trade and you can quite easily end up with mold/humidity with things like improper airflow, over sized equipment, etc...

You can get some mold in your air handler if it isn't sealed properly though, due to improper insulation in the 4 piece, or the return being improperly done, or if the panels aren't sealed all the way.
(Side note: Commercial Package units are the grossest goddamn things.)

The best option for mold control would be to get a minisplit for your room. Totally sealed off from the outside, energy efficient, and you can run multiple evaps if you need to.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It depends on what system you're looking at.
I assume you're talking about a ductless mini-split system? The answer to that is that you probably don't need a HVAC tech, as long as you can find someone to sell you the equipment.

Most supply houses won't sell that stuff to anyone without a contractor's license, but I think you can order mini-splits online. The assembly isn't hard on those, since it's all flare connections usually, and the lineset can be bought pre-flared and insulated. The install isn't too hard, it's basically hang the evap, bolt down the condenser, run the lineset, and since mini-spits are all high voltage you just need to run wires from the disconnect box to the condenser, and from the condenser to the evap. This can be done with Romex.

Of course, you'll still need a gaugeset, micron-display, vacuum pump, and the refrigerant will be the hard part to come by. All mini-splits take 410a, so you'll have to get your hands on that, and weigh in the correct charge.

I know some mini-splits will come with a 410a charge in the condenser, but the amount of refrigerant you need changes on the lineset length.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Vaccing a system isn't hard. Especially with the all flare setup you get with a mini-split.
You can rent a pump and gauge set from from Autozone, and a cheapo micron gauge isn't that much.

Still, if you're not confident in yourself, you can always go the "Find a tech who's willing to do some easy sidework for $100 route"

• Locked thread