Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hollylolly posted:

She can heal brain damage to a certain point. If her brains were, for a random example, splashed all over a door frame by a fifty foot giant, she would be dead.

It doesn't affect her personality or memories. At least, not that she's noticed!

Rule one. Avoid all genetically or magically enlarged humans over 10 feet. How big is a giant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The dream is always the same. The dark wet road, squealing brakes, and then the suffocating closeness of being inside a box in total darkness. In your sleep your heart rate spikes as you fumble about inside the box, panic rising as there’s no way out and how did you get in here and –

“Hey boss. poo poo, Zombie, are you alive?” The speaker snickers like he’s just told the best joke ever, and something soft hits your side as you jerk awake. The grin fades from Squib’s face as you glare at him, and he backs up a step until he’s just outside your door. As you sit up a Nerf football falls to the ground, and you scrub a hand through your short hair and try to refrain from murdering anyone before you’ve had your coffee.

Squib stands there uncomfortably, shifting his weight from side to side, until you say, “Well? Why did you wake me up?”

“Oh, uh, right. Uh. We got something brewing in Los Santos, boss. Intercept picked it up on the computer doing… you know. His thing.” Squib mimes typing. Squib is an enthusiastic idiot. He can also charge energy into small objects and make them explode, so you keep him around and try to find useful things for him to do in the meantime.

Intercept can make computers do anything he wants, which extends to anything with computer chips in them, which means if he says he’s picked up information about something about to go down in Los Santos then you need to sit up and listen. You grab a pair of sweatpants (what time is it? Is it even morning?) and pull them on while Squib pretends not to stare. “Get lost. Tell Intercept I’ll be there in a minute.”

As he runs down the hallway you follow at a more leisurely pace. You find Intercept at his computer. There is an array of screens lighting up his pale, sun-deprived face, and he turns toward you. “It’s the Locos. They’re talking about Banyon Street, and sending a message, tonight.”

poo poo. There’s a little non-profit shelter for mutant teens on Banyon Street, and it’s right on the edge of the notoriously anti-mutant 15th Street Locos territory. There isn’t even a 15th Street in Locos territory, but maybe there was, once. You look at the clock. 7 am.

What do you do?

A. Run over to the shelter, what’s it called again? Redención House. Get there ASAP to talk to the person in charge.
B. Have breakfast and go over other Brotherhood business with Intercept before making any other decisions.
C. Take a walk and clear your head. That dream always makes you feel unsettled and you’re going to be off your game all day because of Squib, that dumbass.
D. Go back to bed, just for a little while.
E. Throw something at Squib. Hard. (You can add this onto any other vote)

Preemptive apologies for Google translate Spanish that will be incoming

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E/D loving squib.

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world
C, especially if that dream's a memory.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

baby picture posted:

C, especially if that dream's a memory.

It is.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

B. These chumps are ok, but as manager of an up and coming terrorist cell it's time to go recruiting.

We should sort out any pressing business and keep an eye on how things develop while we carefully gear up for a confrontation.

Wait until the actual attack happens to jump in with the whole gang and bail out the mutants. That way we might entice a few to join up and look like the good guys.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 24, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If they're not overwhelmingly anti-mutant themselves, tip off the local police either anonymously or not depending on whether we're on bad or good terms with them.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Ralith posted:

If they're not overwhelmingly anti-mutant themselves, tip off the local police either anonymously or not depending on whether we're on bad or good terms with them.

hollylolly posted:

Some mutants struggle to be accepted by the rest of humanity, while others rage against the discrimination of the so-called mundane humans. A Brotherhood has formed, a series of underground cells of mutant freedom fighters who will stop at nothing to right the wrongs against their fellow mutants. To the Brotherhood mutants are the next step of human evolution, a step toward perfection or perhaps even perfection itself, while mundanes are the Neanderthals, doomed for extinction. Many call the Brotherhood a terror organization, but they insist that mutants have nothing to fear from them.

I don't think we're on good terms.

The police are an unreliable bunch that may not be mutant friendly depending on the who you get (I don't think anyone is officially anti-mutant). It's a bit of a roll of the dice that may make things worse.

Also, we're terrorists / freedom fighters, gently caress DA POLICE!

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 24, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

ElrondHubbard posted:

I don't think we're on good terms.

The police are an unreliable bunch that may not be mutant friendly depending on the who you get (I don't think anyone is officially anti-mutant). It's a bit of a roll of the dice that may make things worse.

Also, we're terrorists / freedom fighters, gently caress DA POLICE!
This is the sort of cliche that causes unnecessary failure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ralith posted:

This is the sort of cliche that causes unnecessary failure.

Yeah, there's no reason we can't be both terrorists and play the police as a double agent. Lets get in the Po-po's good books as an informant.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

BE

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A
E, but just the Nerf football
. Squib may be a twerp, but he's a twerp who did the right thing by waking us.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ralith posted:

HBar posted:

E, but just the Nerf football. Squib may be a twerp, but he's a twerp who did the right thing by waking us.
And C.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A shelter for mutants at risk eh? Going to meet Aimee and Anna so soon?

Anyway, B, message isn't until tonight, no need to rush.

And sure, also

Ralith posted:

Might as well see what happens.

Absum
May 28, 2013

C

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

HBar posted:

E, but just the Nerf football
. Squib may be a twerp, but he's a twerp who did the right thing by waking us.

Also C

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

E C B. We've got all day to get over to the shelter, after all.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You nod your head as Intercept says something else, but your nightmare is still lingering in the back of your mind, thanks to being rudely awoken by Squib in the middle of it. You look at him sideways –

- and he’s sitting on the kitchen table with a bowl of cereal, chewing with his mouth open. You absently pick up a ping pong ball (Squib has been practicing with them and leaving them all over the place) and throw it at him, hard enough that it bounces right off his forehead and disappears into the kitchen.

“Ow!” Wounded, he rubs his head, nearly dropping his bowl in the process.

“Don’t throw poo poo at me, I won’t throw poo poo at you,” you say. “I’m going for a walk. Keep monitoring the situation, ‘Cept. Text Eel and Billy… get the word out on the Locos. Send a tip to the cops, too. Can’t hurt to make sure they’re aware of what’s in the works.”

“Sure, Jane.” Intercept strokes his beard and turns back to his monitors, quickly losing himself in screens. You pull on your shoes and walk outside, the morning sun already warm on your skin as you go down the concrete stairs and to the sidewalk.

It’s a crappy apartment in a crappy part of town, but since arriving in the LA area a few months ago you’d spent most of your time trying to organize what there was of the Brotherhood. Finding a good base of operations was next on the list, and crashing with Intercept and Squib generally wasn’t that bad. Just annoying.

You think about your dream.

The dark, wet road is a far cry from the sun-drenched and palm tree lined streets of southern California. Not just an ordinary nightmare, this piece of your subconscious is a memory from when you turned sixteen. You realize that you’re walking faster, and take a moment to slow down, stopping on a corner and looking around before crossing the street.

Sixteen and dumb, you’d taken your new drivers license, your best friend, and your little sister, and started showing off. Lisa had been laughing, the music was loud – but the rain got worse and you didn’t slow down when you should have. Hindsight, and all that. You remember losing control of the car, and the impact… and then the Nothing. When you woke up, over a week later, your parents had already mourned your death and buried you. The claustrophobic feeling of being inside a coffin, the panic and surge of energy as you struggled to get out, clawing your way out of the dirt… When you’d made your way back home, terrified and confused, covered in dirt and still coughing out embalming fluid, your parents had been horrified.

You rub your forehead, turning back toward the apartment. It was all a long time ago. Things like that belong in the past. Taking a deep, cleansing breath, you make your way back. Kids are starting to emerge in the neighborhood, the friendly noises of happy families sorting out breakfast and getting excited about the start of summer vacation. You envy them their naiveté.

What’s next? Besides breakfast, of course.

A. Talk to Intercept about Brotherhood business.
B. Dwell on your traumatic past some more.
C. Talk to Squib about Brotherhood business.
D. Don’t talk to anyone, just eat breakfast and get on with the day.

If you pick A or C, you may include questions to ask. Questions are a free action and I don’t have any hard and fast rules on this (yet). I can start the conversation with them and then you guys can ask questions and we’ll go from there.

Dasilodavi
Jan 25, 2015
A.

What's so special about today, the Locos decide it's clobberin' time? Is it somebody's birthday? Anniversary? Cinco de Loco?

While you're working in that, see if you can find out what kind of force they're bringing. Any major weapons or intel they might have, we should know. If any mutants, young or old, are on the block we need to know first.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
D. Just don't have any pressing questions to ask right now. Too open. Let's do something and relevant questions will bring themselves up.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A.

Keep in the loop with the person who would know.

Absum
May 28, 2013

A

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Wentley posted:

A.

Keep in the loop with the person who would know.

Precisely.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are we going to go for harmony with humans and just take down the dicks, or do we want to establish a genocidal five year plan? I'm leaning toward the former.

Ask intercept to find out who the Locos major players are, who and where their families live and if they've got any major detractors. Let's play the hearts and minds angle especially on social media, see if we can get them alienated in their own homes and neighbourhood. Two headed mutant bunny says 'don't tread on me'

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

A. Let's find out what the situation is

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Dasilodavi posted:

A.

What's so special about today, the Locos decide it's clobberin' time? Is it somebody's birthday? Anniversary? Cinco de Loco?

While you're working in that, see if you can find out what kind of force they're bringing. Any major weapons or intel they might have, we should know. If any mutants, young or old, are on the block we need to know first.

These seem like great questions. +1

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“So,” you say, once you have a bowl of cereal in one hand and a Rockstar in the other, “Tell me more about what you’re hearing. What’s so special about today that the Locos have decided it’s clobberin’ time? Someone’s birthday? Anniversary? Cinco de Loco?”

Intercept chuckles, shaking his head. “Dammed if I know. From what I hear it sounds like one of the kids from the shelter got into it with some Locos yesterday. I’m only hearing it from their side, but they’re pretty worked up over it.”

Oh great. If the Locos are pissed off enough you’ll be lucky if some hotheaded gang member doesn’t start something early. “Any details?” You shovel food into your mouth efficiently, and wash it down with your energy drink.

He turns his ridiculous beard back to his screens. “Nothing for sure, just a lot more anti-mutant stuff. I can’t tell if they’re out for blood, or just going to send a message.”

“Which could also end up in blood,” you say. “What are the Locos bringing to the party these days?”

“Nothing too impressive,” ‘Cept says, not looking away from his computer. “Too many guns, knives, bad attitudes. That sort of thing. Last incident they had with a rival gang, someone drove by and shot up a house, and killed a six year old who was sleeping in a front room of the house next door. They’re not too particular about who gets hurt when they’re on the warpath.”

“Okay, so, run of the mill dumbass gang stuff,” you say. “Do we know how many mutants are at the shelter right now? Any others on the street I should know about?”

“Well, that’s trickier. There isn’t like a roster or anything like that, especially not online. But there’s at least Ms. Fernandez, one of her brothers, and four to six teenagers.”

Follow up questions? Speaking of rosters, there’s a list nearby you could look at that will tell you the members of your little Brotherhood cell.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yep, lets get a run down of who we've got and what they can do.

Also if there are any potential recruits in the shelter, or anyone that might be useful and just needs to be convinced that they should follow us.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The Brotherhood of Mutants (of LA)

Squib – can charge small object with explosive energy

Eel – generates electricity on his skin. Depending on how long he charges it could be as little as a static discharge, up to a taser in strength

Billy – Horns, thick skull, enhanced strength. Excessive body hair and odor. (Couldn't photoshop well enough for my liking; picture him with curling rams horns)

Intercept – technopathy

Wildfire – pyrokinesis

Vigilante – teleportation (30’ 4” maximum jump, within line of sight). She also has very good aim, and a thing for archery. Worked solo for a while on the East coast.

And, of course, you.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Are those that aren't with us out on assignment or just going about their own business?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Squib and Vigilante should make a good explosive assassin match

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

Are those that aren't with us out on assignment or just going about their own business?

They're going about their own business for the most part, but before you went on your walk you had Intercept text Eel and Billy. They'll probably be in touch sooner or later after they get to Locos territory.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You refill your cereal and continue eating. You don't know exactly why, but you tend to eat a bit more than a normal woman of your size. You're 5'9", about 130lbs, and your body seems to like to stay that way. Still, you try not to eat a lot of junk even if it doesn't seem to matter. "Are there any Brotherhood sympathizers at the House?"

Intercept nods, then shrugs, pulls off his beanie and scratches his scalp. "Someone in the house is posting on the Mutant Rights message boards, but it's hard to say which one other than its a girl. She's someone who's had a lot of discrimination against her and a chip on her shoulder to match. Could be a recruit if we play our cards right. Anna Fernandez is against the Brotherhood. She thinks we're just another gang who doesn't care who we hurt as long as we protect our own."

Well, she isn't exactly wrong about that. "I know her ability is something to do with ice, but what about her brothers? Or the kids at the House?"

"The Fernandez clan is pretty big," he says, tugging the beanie back down over his head. "Big bro Alonso can manipulate air - flying, directed wind, that sort of thing. He lives in Riverside with his wife and kids. Paolo manipulates sound in some manner - he's in the SFPD, and isn't in town that I know of. Joaquin...not quite sure what he does, besides some modeling. Marcelo is becoming a priest and he has enhanced speed and reflexes. I don't know how fast he can go. He's in San Diego. And lastly we have Antonio, college student and currently spending the summer with his big sister. His ability is inorganic transformation - he can turn his body into just about anything, as long as he's touching some of the same material. He's been to some recent protests, and is probably a likely target for recruitment. Moreso than any of the others, anyway.

"There's a purple girl at the shelter, and a black kid that jumps. Like, really jumps. There's a chameleon kid there too, if he's still around. Dunno how completely he camouflages, he's pretty new, not much info."

Your phone rings while you're processing this information, and you check the caller ID. Billy. Intercept raises his eyebrows, and leans back in his expensive computer chair while you answer it. Having a tech guy has been very helpful. He set up a mesh network for your phones, so you can talk without fear of anyone tapping in, legally or otherwise. Or something. You don't really care how it does it, just that it works.

"What's up?" you ask.

"Hey, Jane, I'm on my way to Los Santos, but some jokers decided to stop traffic. The 10 is stopped dead. Not a problem for me, I got my bike, but Eel's somewhere ahead of me in his car. Oh, I see them now. Looks like a mess of Mutant Lives Matter protestors. They got banners an' everything, and it sounds like the commuters are getting fuckin' pissed. No cops yet, probably can't get through. What do you want me to do?"

1. What do you tell Billy?

A. Drive his motorcycle through the traffic jam until he finds Eel. Make Eel ride bitch on the bike and continue on to Los Santos. We need eyes and ears out there ASAP.
B. Join the Mutant Lives Matter protestors and try to keep everyone from losing their cool.
C. Join the protest and start something with a mundane. Escalate the situation.
D. Observe the protest. Do nothing.
E. Write in. He does something else.

2. What are you going to do next? You may pick more than one, in the order you want to do them.

A. Go out to Los Santos myself.
B. Check out a warehouse space you've been thinking of moving headquarters to.
C. Call in the rest of the Brotherhood, we're going to need all hands on deck today.
D. See what Squib is up to.
E. Brave traffic, go to Disneyland. This will be fun, but will make it difficult to get to anywhere else in time if something starts going down.
F. Contact the Barrio Boneyard, a rival gang to the Locos. What do you tell the Bones?
G. Write in. You do something else.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1.A
2.C

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm getting a little confused about geography. Is Los Santos where tonight's raid is going down, or is it some unrelated side-thing?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ghostwoods posted:

I'm getting a little confused about geography. Is Los Santos where tonight's raid is going down, or is it some unrelated side-thing?

Los Santos is where the raid or drive by or angry yelling is going down, tonight. It's a fictional region in the east side of LA. Streets and things in Los Santos are made up, and if I mess them up or make it too confusing let me know. The rest of the LA area is the same as it is in Real Life, for the most part. I'll probably screw up the freeways and geography and have people on cross streets that don't actually touch at some point, but I'll try not to. :)

Eel and Billy are driving across town to go to Los Santos. It's about 8am.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

hollylolly posted:

Los Santos is where the raid or drive by or angry yelling is going down, tonight.

OK, cool. I just wasn't sure if that was the case or not. I'm assuming it's a GTA reference, so I'm half-considering trying to start a "Go visit Grove St" bandwagon :) How long should Jane realistically allow for getting over to the shelter?

Anyway, um, 2C, and 1E -- drive up to Eel and tell him to keep a lid on things here (B, but with Eel, who seems less likely to inflame tensions), then Billy gets on heading up to Los Santos. Eel can join him a bit later, once the danger is past.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

1. D. If he can't get through, then he can't get through, and while B would be noble, it's also probably fruitless. A mob is unlikely to be swayed by one or two people, and having our guys in the protest accomplished nothing.

2. E. Not even kidding, screw all this, going to loving disneyland, gonna go on the Indiana Jones ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ghostwoods posted:

OK, cool. I just wasn't sure if that was the case or not. I'm assuming it's a GTA reference, so I'm half-considering trying to start a "Go visit Grove St" bandwagon :) How long should Jane realistically allow for getting over to the shelter?

Anyway, um, 2C, and 1E -- drive up to Eel and tell him to keep a lid on things here (B, but with Eel, who seems less likely to inflame tensions), then Billy gets on heading up to Los Santos. Eel can join him a bit later, once the danger is past.
I haven't actually played GTA but yeah, that's where the name is from. :ssh:

Currently you are about a half an hour from the shelter, assuming traffic isn't bad. If traffic is bad, however...

• Locked thread