Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Outrail posted:

She gets on the back and Anna keeps her on a layer of ice. Ice is a pure water structure and can't really rot or decompose into other poo poo like leather or metal does. Hopefully that's enough and she can get over a frostbitten rear end.

Okay. I like this plan. :) One question though -

:siren: Are you still willing to sacrifice a hand/arm to shove her up into the van and onto the ice if need be?
A. Yes
B. No
C. Just drag her up by her hair again, it'll be fiiiiine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Her power will start rusting and disintegrating the van. You don't know if it will keep going until the whole vehicle is dust or not, but the dead guy is still decaying away, so you should probably assume yes?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

She touched the planet. Are we hosed?

:gonk:

....she was killing the grass, but the planet is going to be ok. Because ...she can't hurt dirt. Because I say so. Or something.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe it isn't effective on things that are more particulate or discontinuous in nature. She wouldn't break down a pile of sand, for example, and soil is pretty composite. Humans, on the other hand, just repeating units of tiny cells. I think that would solve the problem.

Arkanomen posted:

She could just be accelerating time for whatever she contacts? Metal rusts, plants die, and things break down.

For obvious reasons she hasn't experimented a lot with her power once she learned how to control it, but it does seem to lean more toward inducing decay rather than strictly disintegrating things.

With it supercharged like it is no one can be sure if the van would ultimately be safe, but a bit rusty, or if the whole thing will fall apart while you're driving it.

In other words, I'm stealing this to solidify my idea of her powers in my head. You can't stop me! I'm mad with power!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“Open the back!” Eel hollers, and Antonio runs around the 12 passenger van to fling open the back doors. Anna coats the inside with ice without you asking, and Rebecca tries to climb in but she’s freezing and stiff, and trying not to flash her naughty bits to everyone. Anna makes an ice stepstool for her, and the girl steps onto it, and slips.

You see Anna flinch toward her, instinctively going to catch her, and you grab Rebecca’s arm, hoisting her up into the van. The girl screeches no, and you close the doors. “Get them out of here, ‘Tonio!” you shout, your left hand already feeling numb and strange.

"What about you?" asks Anna, as Eel propels her to the passenger seat and helps her inside.

A. You go with them in the van
B. You try to make it back to your own car with Eel and Spectrum
C. Find Billy and Digger, make sure they're safe.
D. rescue more mutants from The Man!
E. combo plan, write in, whatever. What do you do?

edit: Feel free to question Intercept about what's going on behind you!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 27, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

Let's get a sitrep about what's going down at the moment and what's up with our ride before we commit to anything.

You don't want to start running and then ask what you're running into? Well, okay, I guess. ;)

You ask Intercept what's going on at the rally. He tells you that mostly everyone has scattered, but there are still groups of confused and panicked mutants and mutant supporters, unsure of where to go. The mercenaries or whatever they are are shooting people with tranquilizers, which seems to be enough to knock them down, but Monstro is still going strong and is nearly ten feet tall now. Attention is shifting toward him. You could probably dash to your own car, but you'd have to go the long way around because there is a blockade of black SUVs between you and it, along with whatever commanders the LAPD or mercenaries have brought to the scene.

Billy and Digger are clear, but had to head in the wrong direction from where Billy left his old Harley, and Eel has the keys to his car in his pocket. Spectrum is scared, but managing to hold it together for now.

You can hear the sirens of emergency response vehicles coming closer.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

ElrondHubbard posted:

Assuming Billy and Digger can make it out without assistance, plan Outrail.

Digger has broken ribs and a ride on Billy's bike might not be the most comfortable idea in the world, but they could make it out.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Three votes for cutting off our hand in front of a bunch of teenagers, is it enough to trigger an update? Probably!

If nothing else, they'll never forget us now! (hey kids, watch this!)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I do plan on updating, however my little brother is getting married on Saturday and my parents flew into town today. They're staying at my house, and more family is coming into town later. :supaburn:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You are staring at your hand as Anna talks; the palm and your fingers are purplish-black and the unnatural color is seeping through to the back of your hand and starting to creep to your wrist. The skin cracks and peels away, your fingertips falling off/rotting, and you say, absently, “We’ll come with you.”

”I can’t quite see you, Jane, but you’re far enough from the courthouse now that no one is heading that way. For now,” says Intercept.

”We’ll ride my Harley,” says Billy, almost at the same time. ”Digger’s gonna be fine.” There’s a grunt of pain from Digger over the comms, but you’re reaching for the knife you keep strapped to your ankle.

“Woah, wait a minute,” says Eel, still standing at the passenger side door, but you dont listen, and instead drive the knife deeply into the meat of your forearm.

There’s no pain, just a pressing and tugging sensation as you slice around the bones, blood spurting out. Someone inside the van says “Awesome!” and another person throws up. You are vaguely aware that it was Spectrum, who’s probably reevaluating her decision to join the Brotherhood right about now, but you’re concentrating on what you’re doing and are being stymied by your radius and ulna bones, which are resisting your knife.

Eel is staring, but then grabs your shoulder and pulls you toward Anna. “Freeze her arm,” he barks, and Antonio hops out of the drivers seat, the van running and ready to go, as Anna complies. You watch the rotting hand attached to your arm turn white and cold, the blood crystallizing in rivulets, the chill extending into your arm and your shoulder. Eel points you at the ground. “Break it off!”

You grit your teeth, but find it too hard to move the arm now, thunking it awkwardly on the asphalt. Antonio says, “Hold it out,” and Eel supports your arm at the elbow, helping steady it. Antonio holds out his own hand, a dull grey color seeping up his arm, and then karate chops at the spot you’d cut apart, shattering the frozen bones with his now metallic hand.

“Thanks,” you say, and he dashes back around the van as you and Eel climb into the back seats. The kids are staring at you as the van pulls into the street and heads away from the courthouse. “Don’t try that at home,” you quip, and then look at Eel. “I’m going to sleep now, I think.” He nods, and you slow your breathing, calming yourself as best you can, and the darkness slowly overtakes you as the van rocks you to sleep.

---
Found time to write! No official choices here, I'll update Vigilante's adventures next and then an update for when Jane/you wake up. Feel free to float ideas on what our next move should be.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

We already asked Vigilante to pick some Thai food up for us. Although we're going to sleep through that now... so, ok.

Here's a question -

:siren: How do we want to handle Vigilante once we wake up?
A. Same as always, just keep an eye on her
B. Confront her with her suspected involvement with the people you can't quite remember who came out of the office building
C. B, but do it in a room with no windows so she can't 'port away immediately
D. Give her a hug and tell her it's ok, you forgive her for being a filthy double agent, or whatever it is she is, as long as she brings you take out whenever you ask for it
E. Just kill her as soon as you get a chance. Circumstantial evidence is all you need.

You can wait to vote until after her update about her dealings at the Locos HQ that took place at the same time as the rally, if you want.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Since we eat a ton and use it to fuel our regen powers, I'm forced to ask the difficult question:

Do we poop?

Yes, you poop like a normal human most of the time.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Most of the time?

Even normal humans don't poop normally 100% of the time!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Or so you claim -suspicious-

It isn't a poop conspiracy!

Unless it is :tinfoil:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Find out what this shadow poo poo is, she says, and get some Thai food on your way home while you’re at it, thought Vigilante as she inched back to the edge of the roof. Easy for you to say! Then again, Vigilante knew that she had the experience and abilities to get something like this done with minimal involvement from the rest of the Brotherhood, and Jane was aware of that as well, which is why she was trusting her with this.

She ‘ported down to the ground, and slipped behind the pallets that the Shadow had come from, listening carefully to the inside of the warehouse. There were some conversations going on inside, but nothing to indicate anyone else had seen the Shadow after it had slipped in under the door. Vigilante walked softly along the outside of the building. There weren’t any windows on the backside of the old grocery store, so her ways in were sort of limited. Cracking the door and eyeballing a place to ‘port was one way, but chances were almost 100% that she’d be seen. Such an action would lead to a full out confrontation, and one she wasn’t prepared for.

As she walked, an outer vent flipped open, and a small vial popped out, clinking to the rock and debris littered asphalt. Vigilante narrowed her eyes and backed up a step, ready to teleport, but something stopped her as a tentacle of shadow followed the vial. The Shadow poured out of the building, assembling into a vaguely man-like shape that bent toward the dropped vial.

“That poo poo’s no good for you,” Vigilante said, and the Shadow turned, it’s facial features shifting and changing, but somehow managing to look surprised. “Headlight, yeah?”

It swept up the vial and streamed across the parking lot, headed away from her, and she ‘ported to a point just in front of it. “Nasty stuff.”

A hand emerged from the billow of shadow, writing in the air and leaving a bit of itself behind as it did so.

GO AWAY

The words lingered a bit, and then were absorbed into the rest of the Shadow as it darted through a chainlink fence and into the bushes.

“Hey!” came a shout from behind her, and Vigilante ‘ported without a second thought, getting distance between herself and the Locos. Getting spotted was sloppy. Still, the Shadowman was a mutant, and his (or her) interest in Headlight meant that if Jane wanted to know more she could probably find him/her/it hanging near the Locos.

Vigilante was considering her Thai food options when her phone rang. She turned off her earpiece, and took the call, staring off into the middle distance as a woman’s voice said her name and she responded. After a few minutes the call ended, and she ‘ported away, finding her ride and heading back to the apartment where Intercept waited.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Outrail posted:

Yeah, between Shadow, Vigilante, the Loco's Phaser and Squib we'd have ourselves a terrifying terror infiltration/murder/demolitions squad.

Please take Squib our for some proper practice in the desert!

He's been getting all sorts of practice with the Boneyard. I do hope he isn't picking up any bad habits!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The dream is always the same. The dark wet road, squealing brakes, and then the suffocating closeness of being inside a box in total darkness. Your heart rate spikes as you fumble about inside the box, panic rising as there’s no way out and how did you get in here and you slam your hands against the surface of your own coffin, again and again, screaming now and kicking – You open your eyes. You are tucked into your bed in Intercept and Squib’s apartment, and as you start to shift you can hear the tell tale crinkle of the tarp that’s protecting the mattress underneath you. You throw off the blanket and swing your feet out of bed, giving unused muscles a stretch. It is dark outside.

Padding into the living room, you see Intercept sitting at his bank of monitors and Eel asleep on the couch. “What day is it?” you ask as Intercept looks up, and he tells you. You’ve been out for roughly 36 hours, and your last memories are filtering back as you lift your left hand and wiggle your fingers. The skin is soft - no matching calluses to your right hand - and your nails are unridged and short.

You’re also starving. You walk into the kitchen and root through the fridge, dumping instant coffee into hot water as the microwave heats up some of all the Thai leftovers and Eel starts waking up. You park yourself in a chair at the table and dig into your meal as he fills you in on what you’ve missed.

The media has been all over the “crazy mutants” at the MLM rally, splashing the names and faces of the accused on the news. Monstro turns out to be Ales Hlinka, a quiet family man from Orange County, while the electric powered mutant is James Scott, a transient. Both are reportedly in custody of the LAPD thanks to the help of Haven Corp, who has come forward as partnering with the police in this matter. Haven is providing manpower and specialized training for dealing with powered individuals to the LAPD, paid through provisions in the Homeland Security Act. A partially (mostly) decomposed body at the scene is being blamed on more mutant activity, but no witnesses or suspects have turned up.

“The mutants aren’t being held downtown,” adds Eel, still trying to rub the sleep out of his eyes. It’s about three in the morning. “We think that Haven has them, but Intercept can’t figure out where. Yet,” he says, giving Intercept a nod.

“Just a matter of time,” agrees Intercept.

You can hear Squib snoring in the other room, a strange accompaniment to your reawakening that somehow isn’t annoying, but comforting. All is well, at least in this apartment. Eel tells you that Digger has some broken ribs but is healing up, Vigilante made contact with a mutant who can either turn into black smoke or is black smoke. Intercept has discovered that the smoke guy has been terrorizing the Locos for the last couple weeks, or at least Carlos. The Locos leader hasn’t been outside in days, sitting in a room full of lights and fueling himself with paranoia and anger. His lieutenants, Eightball and Stick, are seemingly at their wits ends with him, and seem ready for a change.

Vigilante has been acting normally. Eel looks at you strangely when you ask about her, but doesn’t ask questions. Spectrum is still on board, but she’s at her cousin’s house, busy writing a blog article about the rally from an ‘alternate perspective.’ Billy is restless, Wildfire is angry. The sky is blue, grass is green.

You shovel more food into your mouth and consider your possibilities. You’re already planning to send Intercept away to a new apartment, paid in cash under a false name. You look at the back of his head, haloed by the glow from his monitors. The sooner the better. Tonight, in fact.

Pick one or more
A. Find out where Haven is keeping the mutants by investigating the LAPD’s involvement with them.
B. Find the tipping point for the Locos and break them apart.
C. Spend time with Squib, honing his abilities (or assign someone else to help him with training. In the desert. Preferably far away from people)
D. Go back to the Haven Corp business offices and break in at night, see what you can find out.
E. Confront Vigilante right away (after moving Intercept), in a ...non-confrontational manner?
F. Keep watching Vigilante. Closely. Very...closely.
G. Something else. Write in!

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 10, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A xxx (have Intercept track SUV, etc)
B xxxx
C xx (maybe with Wildfire)
D
E xx
F

Visit Digger xxxx

I'll start writing the update :)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I've been staring at this off and on for a few days and nothing is coming out. I haven't forgotten! Hopefully I'll have time to get something written down that's worth posting by Sunday night. Sorry!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The next day was relatively quiet. Someday you might look back and see this as the calm before the storm, if you had time for reflection. Your new hand feels just as strong as it was before, though you are eating larger meals than usual for a few days. A conversation with Intercept ended with Eel helping him pack up into his little Toyota truck, and you sent him away - to safety, you hope. He is keeping in touch, of course, but you’re not even sure you want him to tell you where he ends up. Haven has a telepath or some sort of mind altering mutant, and the more you think about it the more uncomfortable it makes you feel.

The more you think about Haven, the more the need to speak to Vigilante grows. She is happy to see you back on your feet when she stops by later in the day, but you’re beginning to wonder exactly what secrets she’s hiding behind her offers of help. She did come out from the East Coast after working on her own against the mobsters there, and yet is seemingly content to take orders. You try to imagine sitting back and letting someone else call the shots, and know that you wouldn’t be happy for very long.

Squib isn’t very happy to have his favorite roomie suddenly leave him behind. He’s sulking in his room, so you collar him and take him with you to Digger’s house after Eel finally goes home to clean up after staying in the apartment waiting for you to awaken.

He stares out the window of the car as you drive, arms crossed across his skinny chest. You look over, tempted to just ignore him, but you inwardly sigh and initiate the conversation. “Squib. Intercept needs a safe place to work from, and the apartment just isn’t that anymore.”

Silence. (Or perhaps *grumpiness intensifies*)

You bite your bottom lip, merge into another lane on the freeway as cars fly by in the fast lane. “Things are getting...complicated. You’re going to have to trust me on this, Squib. I -”

“Trust you?” He turns to face you, arms still folded, his voice pitching higher. “I’ve been trusting you, Jane. I went to work with a gang because you said to, and yeah, it’s been cool an’ all, but now you’re ordering Intercept outta our apartment? We were here first, Jane, and you came here because of us.”

“All true,” you say, scanning the signs for Digger’s exit. “I know it’s not fair of me to not give you more information but -”

“No buts,” he says stubbornly. “He’s my friend. If you think he’s in danger then I wanna know.” You glance at him, and gauge the fire in his eyes. Despite his flaws, Squib was part of the team, and an important one at that. The whole reason you were even going to Digger’s house was to talk to him and make him feel important, and you couldn’t focus on newcomers while letting the guy who’d been enthusiastically by your side from the start slip away.

“I have reason to believe the apartment has been compromised. Intercept is the source of all our information, and if the people who are attacking mutants in the open are focusing in on him then I want him in a safe place. He can’t defend himself when we’re out doing things.” You cut off a delivery truck and gun it for your exit, making Squib grab the ‘oh poo poo’ handle. “I don’t even know where he’s going to be staying. For now it’s safest that way, for him and for us.”

He pursed his lips, not satisfied, but grudgingly accepting your explanation. “Who is it?”

You stop at a red light. “Who is it?”

“That’s compromised the apartment? Is it… Spectrum?” His face was screwed up in concentration. “She’s new, connections to the LAPD, and the threat is new, so…?”

“Um…”

:siren: You’re outside Digger’s house. Do you tell Squib…
A. ...that it’s actually Vigilante
B. ...that you can’t confirm or deny anything

Your visit with Digger goes well. He lives alone in the subburbs, and seems pleased that you dropped by to see how he’s doing. Squib manages to refrain from touching anything, and eventually the conversation goes around to the fact that the Brotherhood needs a better base of operations than a dinky apartment.

“I know a place,” Digger says cautiously, shifting position on his battered couch as his ribs were still very tender. “I… get the urge to dig, because of my mutation. So I spend time down in the old subway tunnels. There’s a place we could use that the urban explorers won’t find.”

New HQ?
1. Get Billy on this with Digger, give them some money and have them start setting up
2. Let’s take care of the possible mole in our midst before changing our HQ

(coming up next: Conversations with Vigilante and dealing with the LOCOS. Thank you for your patience!)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Choosing the location for your talk with Vigilante had taken some time. You didn’t want to make it so overtly hostile to her abilities that she became suspicious, but doing it in the open was a little too trusting. In the end you went with the apartment, with the blinds all closed. It was a compromise that didn’t make you happy at all, but now it was too late, as she was handing you the takeout bags of Thai food you’d asked her to bring over (well, why not?) and collapsing onto the couch.

“So, whats up?” She seems relaxed and open, and you feel stiff and uncomfortable. You sit down opposite her and dig into the food, but give up after a minute.

“I was going to ask you the same thing,” you say. “I know you’ve been having late night meetings with people from Haven Corp, Vigilante.” Well, that was one way of easing into it!

She sits up straight, confusion on her face. She was pretty good, you had to give her that. “What? I… you what?”

“Intercept caught you on a security camera, meeting with them. The night before the Locos raid.”

Realization dawns on her face. “So, that’s why you said I should come to you to talk about stuff. But, Zombie, I … I haven’t been meeting with anyone.”

“So, what, Intercept is fabricating evidence now?”

“Well, I guess.. I don’t know!” She is agitated, sitting on the edge of the couch, and looks to be wracking her brain for what to say next. A trickle of blood comes out of her nose as she talks. “I tried that drug, like I told you. It was dumb, and it knocked me for a loop most of the night. I wasn’t out doing anything, I swear. I don’t understand.”

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You hadn’t really expected her to just roll over and give up all her secrets, but pretending not to know what you are talking about is disappointing. Still, the nosebleed is concerning. You reach down and pick up a paper napkin, holding it out to her and pointing at your nose. Vigilante takes it uncertainly and dabs at her upper lip, and then sees the blood and holds it in place.

“The footage he found has you in a neighborhood, meeting with a guy who looks like he’s military. You have military connections, Vigilante.” You unlock your smartphone and find the video in question. “Here, take a look and tell me that there’s an innocent explanation for this.”

She catches the phone as you toss it over to her, and watches the video, her eyes narrowing. “I… I can’t explain this.” Vigilante pushes the phone away from her on the coffee table, like it’s going to bite her.

“You don’t remember being there at 1:13 am?” You’d be more incredulous, if not for your own experience with whatever mutant it is Haven has working for them. A mind wipe is suddenly a plausible explanation, though not a satisfying one. She could be working with them purposefully, and agreeing to be mind wiped, after all. If anything, your little question and answer session seems to be turning from checkers into three dimensional chess. “Where were you at 1 am, then? Think back.”

Vigilante grabs another napkin for her nose, though the bleeding seems to have stopped. “I was… I was at my apartment. I did Headlight around… midnight. I… my ability was… I was just sitting on the couch…” A fresh trickle of blood drips down her lips as she concentrates on her memories, the napkin forgotten in her hand.

You are leaning forward as she talks, your body unconsciously tense, and your eyes track the blood as it drips onto the floor. Vigilante blinks, and you look up in time to see her eyes meet yours.

She smiles slowly.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren::siren: ATTACK :siren::siren:

You don’t hesitate, and you’re still too slow. You leap forward out of your chair, hands balled up into fists, and she turns into purplish smoke before you reach her, the *bamf* sound of all the air rushing into the area she’s vacated making your eardrums pop due to your close proximity. You’re shoved face first into the couch as she lands on the coffee table behind you, Thai food knocked to the carpet.

You scramble around and lunge for her legs, tackling her, but she ‘ports again with you in tow. It’s a disorienting nanosecond that makes your stomach flip, and she’s by the closed windows, you clinging to her calves as she bends the blinds apart with a finger.

“Vigilante - why?!” You pull to drag her down, but with another *bamf* you’re both in the air outside the apartment building. You can’t get your bearings. It’s happening too fast.

She kicks you off of her leg and teleports again, leaving you to fall.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

No worries on being high on adrenaline, your heart is pumping plenty fast. You're about thirty feet away from the building and thirty-ish feet off the ground. You're not likely to die (or be grievously injured) unless you turn and try to land on your head.

There are some 20' palm trees under you, you can try landing on them?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You try to yell curses at her, but the ground is coming up fast and she’s just gone. Before you can get your thoughts together you’re crashing into the leafy fronds of the date palms that line the street. You grab at them, get a good handful, and then you’re bouncing off of the tree and flailing toward the pavement.

You managed to take some of your momentum away, but still land heavily and awkwardly on your right arm and leg. You struggle to your feet, pain throbbing through your body but like a distant memory of an injury you once had. People on the street are staring, pointing phones at you. gently caress. You try to take a step and your ankle crunches like gravel; your arm is dangling at a bizarre angle, your elbow shattered and shoulder out of whack. You stumble back to the ground, catch yourself at the last minute with a graffitied bike rack and push back to your feet. Your phone rings as you walk/hop as quickly as you can, and you fumble to dig it out of your pocket. The screen is smashed, but somehow it’s still working.

Are you headed to the apartment? Your car keys are inside. Or maybe Vigilante is also inside.
A. It’s worth the risk to get wheels and get out of here
B. Just head away, doesn’t matter what direction (or maybe it does, write in)

Answer the phone?
1. Yes, it’s probably Intercept or another ally
2. Suspicious timing! You throw it away from yourself in paranoia

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

A 2

Time to bug out. Hopefully our phone has some text to speech function and we can use that to send a message to the others to bug out as well to the safe house. We go to our orphanage friend and coordinate from there after getting a new phone. Everyone switches to burners and we work on finding a psychic mutant.

So you want to throw away the phone... and also use it to text people? ;)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

I'm assuming we don't have a backup phone and really don't remember everyone's numbers so I'm figuring one last mass text and then tossing it.

Ok, that could work.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: Public Scrutiny

You answer the phone, hobbling quickly to the building. “This is a bad time.”

”I know,” It’s Intercept. ”Saw the whole thing. I’m sending -” The call ends abruptly, your phone now as useful as a brick, just as a concerned neighbor finally approaches you.

“Are you okay?” She looks like she stepped out of the People of Wal*Mart tumblr, and is staring at your obviously broken arm. “I saw you, you - you should sit down. Please?”

There’s a small crowd starting to come around, possibly why Vigilante has just ‘ported off to places unknown rather than coming back, and you shake your head. “No thank you. I just need to -” You point futilely at the door to your building and she steps in front of you.

“Sweetie I had Hank call 911, the ambulance is on it’s way. I think you’re in shock.”

A. Do what she says, don’t cause a scene
B. Get her out of your way

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe shove her pretty hard in case she's a "recovery agent" and goes for the subtle taze.

Holly, do we have one of our epi-pens on hand to give us a good shot to rev up that healing?

I figure we carry a few on us at all times.

You do, but an adrenaline shot doesn't heal you, it just keeps you amped up enough not to pass out/"die" into your healing coma.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You're pretty amped right now, I'll let you know when you're in danger of passing out.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren::siren: You're on Candid Camera!

“Oh, no, no, I’m fine. I’m a… stunt person. It’s a new ...reality TV show.” You shrug lopsidedly, and paint a grin on your face. Your overweight neighbor looks confused, and she looks around you. Looking for the cameras, you realize. “A hidden camera show.”

You’re stepping around her, limping as you try not to use your broken ankle too much. She frowns and grabs for your arm, and you flinch out of her reach. You step wrong on your bad ankle and it crumples underneath you, your foot nearly at right angles to the rest of your leg. “All part of the plan,” you say as you fall over, twisting to try to avoid smashing up your bad arm anymore.

“Are you sure?” She seems incredulous as she stares down at you, but you smile and nod even though inside your head you are screaming at her to leave you alone. You hear a vehicle pull up to the curb and the sound of a sliding van door opening, and you push yourself up.

“Everyone clear the area, please,” says a deep voice behind you that you feel like you recognize. The neighbors start to scatter and someone grabs your arm, hoisting you to your feet.

A. Try to get away from whoever is grabbing you
B. Babble more about candid camera shows and how Mario Lopez is the host remember him from Saved By The Bell?
C. Go with it, at least until you see who it is

sorry about the delay

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You stiffen as you’re hauled backward, and you see that it’s a tall black guy in a button up shirt who’s muscles seem to have muscles. That voice though - you remember it from somewhere. You’re starting to ball your hand up into a fist when you hear Squib’s voice from inside the van. “You look like poo poo.”

It’s the Barrio Boneyard, and you manage to wave at your neighbor with a smile as Big Mike picks you up and places you into the windowless van. “Ah, my camera crew,” you say, and then the doors close and the van peels out from the curb.

“What happened?” asks Squib. “Intercept said to come get you ASAP since I was the closest, and Big Mike said they’d help.” He makes a face as he looks at your mangled arm. You try to arrange it in a more natural position and cradle it in your lap.

“It’s Vigilante,” you say. “I told you before that I couldn’t tell you who was threatening Intercept, but it’s her. She’s working for…” You trail off and look sideways at Big Mike, who is sitting calmly across from you two like a muscle bound buddha.

Do you…
A. Keep talking
B. Wait to fill in the rest of your team and ONLY your team once you meet up with them

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Maybe if you just THINK it really hard a telepathic mutant will hear it!

:cheeky:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

You keep going. "...some druglord douche. She's all high on that crap. Caught her shaking Intercept down for some cash.” You give him a meaningful look. “We'll talk more when we're all together. For now just let it go."

Squib looks at you weirdly, but doesn’t press the matter. He points at your mangled ankle. “Should we splint that or..?”

You look at it, and absently try to wiggle your toes. You can’t. “Nah. Once I pass out it’ll sort itself out. Always does.” You look at Big Mike and add, “I’d appreciate it if you could take us to 257th and Magnolia.”

Squib nods, “Oh yeah, that’s what Intercept -” he puts his finger to his ear and rolls his eyes, “Yeah, yeah I know.” He looks at you, “He says it’s almost ready anyway.”

Big Mike agrees, and doesn’t press for more information even though he must be curious as to the strange cross streets. It’s a long enough drive that you begin to drift off, and you struggle to stay awake without using any extreme measures. Once you reach Magnolia the van pulls to the curb and Squib jumps out to give Billy a fistbump. You get up on your own but are forced to accept help out of the van from Big Mike (or fall out onto your face on the sidewalk - not a great leadership look), who hands you off to Billy. You get a noseful of the horned mutant’s BO and cough a little, lifting your good hand to your nose and mouth.

“Thank you,” you manage to tell the leader of the Boneyard, and he smiles, returning Squib’s farewell fistbump before jumping back into their van. You’re left alone with just Brotherhood members, and you ask Squib for his phone. The scrawny mutant hands it over as Billy helps you limp down a nearby alley to a forgotten service hatch. The staircase was more trouble than you’d admit, but the effort of getting down was perking you up as you spoke quietly to Intercept over the phone.

“The apartment is blown,” you say.

”Yeah, a couple SUVs pulled up a few minutes ago. Bunch of suits piled out,” says Intercept. ”Including the woman from the pictures you took. No sign of the man, yet.”

“Safe to say we won’t be back,” you say ruefully. Squib looks outraged - all of his belongings are in that apartment. You’re in the same boat, but you were practically living out of a suitcase. He had a whole wall filled with action figures and pony figurines - it did make you grin inside just a little to think that all of his belongings were probably going to be catalogued and boxed up by Haven, or the LAPD, or maybe even the FBI. What would the criminal profilers think of the Brotherhood with just Squib’s detritus to go through?

”The new place is set up for the most part,” says Intercept. ”I’ve been working with Billy on that, and Digger was carving out a few more rooms.”

It isn’t much to look at, but you hobble through the initial disappointment to where the glow of lights shows a bit more work has been done. The abandoned subway station has been scrubbed down a bit and you’re surprised to see part of a subway car resting on the tracks.

“The main entrance was bricked up years ago,” says Billy, his odor still uncomfortably close as he helps you to a chair. “The only way in is the old service stairway.”

“Great,” you say, and you mean it even if it comes out a little gruff. “Get everyone here - not Vigilante though. Don’t breathe a word of this to her. She -”

“She tried to get money out of Intercept!” says Squib angrily. “I didn’t think she was the addict type.”

Billy looks confused, and you wave off Squib, who falls silent. “Get Digger, Spectrum, Eel and Wildfire in here ASAP. Tell them to bring whatever they want to keep. Their homes may be compromised.”

”Already on it,” says Intercept over speakerphone, and you smile gratefully at his competence before passing out and toppling off the chair.

When you come to you smell coffee and hear people arguing. Sounds like everyone made it to the new HQ. What is your first order of business going to be?

A. Find Vigilante, or Haven, or both.
B. Find a telepath for an ally
C. Touch base with Anna and her shelter kids and make sure the Locos aren’t giving them trouble
D. Spectrum has a cousin in the LAPD. Have her use that connection to find out what the LAPD is doing with Haven
E. Something else or a combination - write in

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: CDB wins, part 1 - Phone call

“Anna, it’s Jane. How are things going?”

”It’s been quiet. No trouble.”

“How is Rebecca doing?”

A pause. ”Better than she was. It is a hard thing, to know your ability has hurt someone else.” It sounds like she is speaking from experience. ”And you?”

Oh yeah, your arm. “I’m fine. Ten fingers, everything accounted for.” You laugh a little. “Not the worst I’ve recovered from, believe it or not.”

”Somehow I believe it,” she says.

“No Locos in the neighborhood?”

”No, it has been pacífico. Very quiet.”

“Good, good. Glad to hear it. Just calling to check in.” You pause for a moment. “You don’t happen to know any… friendly telepaths, do you?”

She laughs softly, ”I do not think I can help you recruit members, however grateful I am for your help.”

That wasn’t exactly a no, though. “Is Antonio around?”

”He is out on a job with our oldest brother. I will tell him you called, if you want?”

“That’s fine. Yeah, thank you Anna. I’ll let you get back to it.”

”Adios, Jane.”

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 6, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: CDB, part 2 - Bring Your Cousin to Work Day

First, her cousin had asked for a place to stay. Then she had actually come, and stayed. Jo's sanctuary, her little 1920s bungalow that bordered an orange grove that hadn't actually been built over yet with a strip mall, had been invaded.

Barbara was about Jo's age, the daughter of Uncle John, her father's brother. Jo hadn't seen her in years - actually, over two decades. There was a picture of them together in a sun drenched kiddie pool in San Jose when they were both four years old. She didn't really know what had kept them apart so long, except that her father was notoriously bad at holding grudges and Uncle John was too. Must have run in the family.

None of that really mattered, except that there were dirty dishes in her sink, her second bedroom had been re-purposed from a craft room to an actual bedroom, and there was clutter everywhere. Just my luck, groused Jo, her hands at ten and two as she accelerated down the freeway. Barbara had the window down and her hand out, 'flying' it through the wind.

She considered herself an investigative blogger of all things, and was usually typing furiously on her laptop, or surfing the web for “research purposes.” Blogging didn’t pay the bills, either, but her cousin had some savings and was content, for now, to use them to pay Jo for a room. She’d probably end up at Starbucks as a barista before too long.

Barbara leaned back against the passenger seat, closing her eyes and letting the warm, allergen-filled air blow her short blond hair about. Jo was driving, her hair pulled back in a wind whipped ponytail, and the radio was blaring country western music over the roar of Barbara's open window.

"I have air conditioning you know," Jo shouted over the wind, and Barbara grinned, and finally rolled her window up, giving them both respite.

"Sorry, I just love driving with the windows down." She shrugged cheekily, and adjusted the climate control to keep them cool. “I do appreciate you bringing me in to see the lab today.”

Jo sighed. How had she agreed to that, anyway? “Just don’t touch anything. Or take any pictures. Or touch anything.”

Barbara grinned, “So, touch everything and compromise all active investigations, got it.”

“Not funny,” said Jo, but she smiled.

It ended up being a regular, normal day, and Barbara was predictably bored. Jo took her lunch early, making sure her computer was locked. She was a forensic scientist for the LAPD - so exactly like CSI except DNA samples took weeks to get back and she'd never actually been in the field doing...anything. Yet. She was so ready to get out there and take crime scene photos, but unfortunately that wasn't what they were currently paying her for.

Barbara picked at the limp salad she'd picked up for lunch, and said, "I thought you were kidding when you said your work was boring."

"Well, it isn't glamorous," Jo agreed, draping her white lab coat on the back of her chair. "Did you have fun in the break room?"

Her cousin raised an eyebrow, and shook her head. "I thought there would be, like, more cops around. Checking in on cases and stuff."

"That isn't how it works, exactly," she said.

Barbara leaned forward a bit. "You never said if you got to process any of the evidence from the Rally a while ago."

Jo shifted uncomfortably. "Well, we didn't actually get any of the evidence. That all went... elsewhere."

"Another lab?"

"Something like that. All the mutant crimes stuff is being handled by Haven." She looked at her cousin, who was trying hard to seem only partially interested. "But you knew that already, didn't you."

[to be continued]

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Haha, took me a minute but no, Jo isn't a telepath. That was a bit of sloppy writing on my part making it seem more ominous by leaving off after that sentence. She's just using intuition (or perhaps luck!).

My kids all got sick this weekend, I'm getting back into writing mode soon I hope. :ohdear:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

:siren: CDB, part 2.5 - Bring Your Cousin to Work Day

Barbara managed to look bemused for a moment, and then she narrowed her eyes at her cousin. “You aren’t using your luck thing, are you?”

“My luck thing?” Jo nearly facepalmed. “I don’t use - no. Just no. I just figured that you’re trying to ‘investigate’” she used finger quotes, “how the LAPD is treating mutants. And the fact is, there’s not much here. Officially we treat them like any other person who’s broken the law, or suspected of it. Unofficially you know as well as I do that there are people out there with a lot of scary abilities. Get one of those people in an interrogation room and they don’t want to be there?” Jo shuddered.

“Those people?” Barbara raised an eyebrow.

“You know what I mean, that isn’t fair.” Jo pushed her glasses further up her nose. “This is my work, I can’t help you dig up stuff.”

“Okay, okay,” Barbara said, holding up her hands in defense. “So you didn’t have any evidence to go over after the fiasco at the MLM rally?” Her cousin shook her head, and she continued, “Because I heard that someone was injecting the mutants that went all, you know,” Barbara pointed her finger at her head and twirled it, grimacing, “crazy. That it wasn’t their fault.”

Jo looked unhappy. “All the suspects and physical evidence went with Haven to -” She closed her mouth abruptly, and Barbara leaned in, a forkful of salad forgotten in her hand.

“...to?”

“The desert.” Jo bit her lip. “I’m not supposed to know, but I had to ship the samples we had, and … it’s out near Joshua Tree.”

Barbara grinned, returning her attention to lunch. “Sounds like a road trip’s in my future.”

Jo shook her head. “Oh no. No, no. You don’t want to mess with them, Barbara.”

“It’s ok,” she said. “I have friends.”

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I dunno, they've got a point - it would be difficult to detain someone like Ales Hlinka, aka Monstro, if he didn't want to be in police custody. If Haven has a place they can keep him from hurting himself or others, shouldn't they use that? I'm sure everything is fine. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Wentley posted:

And the not speaking about it is to keep away Vigilantes who want to hurt them before their day in court, which they totally will have, along with access to a lawyer!

Exactly!

• Locked thread