Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

blackguy32 posted:

I kind of miss zombie master. It was a hl2 mod that pretty much got killed when l4d came out. I really liked the traps in it.

I also miss jailbreak modes in games. Everything is so loving standardized in games, it's boring.

Jailbreak still exists in CS:GO. CS still runs a pretty strong community of weird private server mods like surf, climbing, zombies, WC3, Hide & Seek, Jailbreak etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Battlestations Pacific

Maybe someday War of Thunder will be like that... Airplanes + Boats + Tanks... drat.

Honorable mention for the oldie Muzzle Velocity, despite beeing single player. I love a game where you can jump in anything and shoot/kill.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jeza posted:

Jailbreak still exists in CS:GO. CS still runs a pretty strong community of weird private server mods like surf, climbing, zombies, WC3, Hide & Seek, Jailbreak etc.

No, not that one. I find that one odd. I'm talking about the one where when you die you get placed in jail and have to use teamwork to escape and release your teammates in jail.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Subspace Death Star Battle is dead :(

It was around for close to 20 years though. Good times.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really want to see XvT played again, I'm not sure it's even possible.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Infantry Online

Also about a million Half Life mods. Science & Industry and all that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

No, not that one. I find that one odd. I'm talking about the one where when you die you get placed in jail and have to use teamwork to escape and release your teammates in jail.

Oh man this was so much fun. I remember there was a vent that you could escape out of if you could convince like three people to come over and jump on your head over and over until the physics let you in the vent. Great stuff, I'm now also lamenting CTF with grappling hooks ala Loki CTF (Quake 2). I never liked the transponder in UT, it lacked something compared to the Loki grappling hook.

I also really enjoyed Unreal Tournament 3 despite all the hate it got. That game died way too soon after it came out. All the servers that still exist are filled with bots. Who maintains these bot servers? I don't know. Skynet?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 26, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baller Time posted:

Infantry Online

Infantry was fantastic. I don't even remember how I ended up playing it--I think I might've gotten it somehow when I subbed to EverQuest for like a month in high school--but it was super fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

WMain00 posted:

Yeah it was pretty fun. It suffered a bit from balancing problems and the map design - though really pretty - had a tendency to have way too many chokepoints that resulted in stalemate sniper-war situations. Other than that though it had some excellent ideas and the cyberspace aspects were good fun.

It's a shame it died. :(

I came specifically to post Dystopia as well. It was already mostly dead when I played it, but it had so much thought put into it.

And it had whatever that drop a grenade on death perk from CoD4 was before CoD4 came out. Except instead of a grenade, it was a bomb implanted in your brain.

Max Payne 3 was also a lot of fun, if imbalanced. Assault rifles were useless and the mini-30 was a semi-auto sniper rifle with zero recoil. But you could dive off of a building and pop multiple people in the head with dual pistols on the way down, and that made everything better.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Nexuiz. I bought it on sale because I liked the original game and hoped there will be a decent amount of people playing the deatmatch. The game was dead basically from start, and now you can't even buy it.
I wonder how Reflex and Toxik will fare.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I came specifically to post Dystopia as well. It was already mostly dead when I played it, but it had so much thought put into it.

And it had whatever that drop a grenade on death perk from CoD4 was before CoD4 came out. Except instead of a grenade, it was a bomb implanted in your brain.

Max Payne 3 was also a lot of fun, if imbalanced. Assault rifles were useless and the mini-30 was a semi-auto sniper rifle with zero recoil. But you could dive off of a building and pop multiple people in the head with dual pistols on the way down, and that made everything better.

MP3 also had no cheat protections to the point that early special events had obvious cheaters at the tops of the leaderboards. I got fed up with unkillable enemies pretty quickly.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lord Lambeth posted:

I enjoyed Super Monday Night Combat a heck of a lot when it was active. Shame the devs sort of neglected it and/or tried to trick the core fanbase into mining bitcoins.
the same lovely devs who went on to trick us into believing in their total annihilation kickstarter reboot that ended up being loving awful

fool me once, can't get fooled again, something something, george bush, please don't give uber any more money

For me it's BF2142 that I find myself thinking about frequently. bf3 & 4 were so completely underwhelming in comparison. i'm sure part of that has to do with my circle of friends hitting middle age and not being as game-orientated as our dedicated 2142 days, but i'm going to go ahead and blame DICE for putting out derivative CoD inspired horseshit sequels back to back

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

blackguy32 posted:

I kind of miss zombie master. It was a hl2 mod that pretty much got killed when l4d came out. I really liked the traps in it.

I also miss jailbreak modes in games. Everything is so loving standardized in games, it's boring.

420 use lone zombie spawns to surprise players from behind when they think they've gotten all the spawn points memorized erryday

edit: Also 420 spawn zombies behind barrels to kill players with thrown physics objects erryday

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 26, 2015

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
FIFA Street: Online Team Play

Can totally see why it died. Everyone was a speedy, dribble-skill, ball hogging "superstar" who spent all their time in the offensive zone and never passed.

I took the opposite route. Made my character Zdeno Chara. Max height/weight, max tackle, max passing. Always played defense and would usually cover 2-3 players, at once, with great success. When I'd hit the tackle button, he would stick his leg out and act as a 7 foot wide barricade, often causing a 5 player pileup. I'd emerge from the wreckage with the ball and cross it to my 4 other teammates in front of the opponent's net and one of them would score.

When the ball would go into the corner, I'd let a member from the other team chase it in first, because I'd wind up hammering them so hard, they would glitch up and out of the arena.

There were times when we'd get a human goalie (troalie) who would just run around the court, aimlessly, trying to sabotage his own team. I'd fill in by standing in front of the net, hitting the tackle button whenever someone would shoot. Made just as many saves as a goalie could have. Every game I played drew in at least one or two friend requests. If there were actually defensive points/stats I'd have been #1 in the world.

Literally, my worst nightmare was having to go up against a team where everyone played their positions. Since that rarely ever happened, I was unstoppable.

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 26, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm still sad about Max Payne 3. The best online shooter of the decade and rockstar was dumb enough to still be putting lock on in games :eng99:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1rOZx0nz8

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Battlefield 2142 was the last truly good multiplayer FPS in my opinion.

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
Savage 2. First person melee game with multiple classes for most of your team. 1 member of your team could be commander and play RTS style. Different buildings provided new classes and gear you could buy.

And demons, so many demons.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RIP City of Heroes. Never forget.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

RIP City of Heroes. Never forget.

City of Heroes/Villains is some of the most fun I've ever had on the internet. Champions just ain't the same.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do people still play BF2142? I lost the discs and would have to re-buy, but man that was the last FPS besides BL2 I liked playing multiplayer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Do people still play BF2142? I lost the discs and would have to re-buy, but man that was the last FPS besides BL2 I liked playing multiplayer.

There are still people playing BF2142, yes. Those people have, as you might expect from the community of a very old game, come up with their own rules that basically suck all the fun out of it. You've probably seen it if you try to play on the old server based CODs or something; no grenade launchers, no explosives, no vehicle ramming, no fun, at all.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hawken isn't quite nail in the coffin yet, but I'll be damned if I can find a game. It's a shame too, that game was cool as poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Orv posted:

There are still people playing BF2142, yes. Those people have, as you might expect from the community of a very old game, come up with their own rules that basically suck all the fun out of it. You've probably seen it if you try to play on the old server based CODs or something; no grenade launchers, no explosives, no vehicle ramming, no fun, at all.

Oh, well that' a bummer but thanks for the heads up. Those are exactly all of the things I loved most in that game, playing with all of the crazy poo poo. Plus I'm straight up bad at FPS, in Borderlands 2 I loved playing the Psycho class because dying was actually a useful mechanic for me and I was going to be constantly almost dying anyway. FPS people are mean when you are bad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

You reached the next level in 2142 when you realized that you could put the support motion sensor on the squad leader gun drone and it would not only follow you and provide enemy radar info but also use that data to target foes.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Tribes 2. I was too young when the first's heyday came, never learned how to ski properly, I was 11. But I got deep into 2.

Static Rook posted:

Max Payne 3 on PS3. Gang Wars was cool and I was good at it. Best MP of last gen IMO. I was the idiot that bought the season pass and got all the extra maps that no one ever played and even got some of the dumb trophies for them.

I hope somebody rips off that style of MP for a game that lives longer.

The whole trick for me, especially not having done any MP shooters on a controller -- was geting good at lockon and then moving to free aim. Lockon was all about the assault rifles and armor, so the new flavor of the month DLC assault rifles always dominated. Not only did I not have them, it got boring.

What I did was pick up the gun noone was using -- the Mini: 14. Feather the lockon, and you can snap to people you can barely see and would have a hell of a time hitting. Use the reticle's turning red to know you're on target, a slight adjustment for a hopeful headshot... Mind the cone of fire bloom, it's a bitch but settles down quick. TAP TAP TAP TAP, easy kill. Ad nauseum. I made so many people mad with a gold plated mini 14, semi-automatic 10-20 rounds that did similar damage to the AK. Once you know how it goes back to laser-accurate as soon as it stops blooming...

After that, on to Free Aim, where it's no armors and pistols (which are all non-DLC) while trying to be agile. Hunting headshots a lot in free-aim, too. That was harder, but eventually I got back up there with my ratios.

I was real dissapointed when GTAV's shooting wasn't as good. A perfect clone of MP3's shooting would have made GTAV a better game,IMO.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 27, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Orv
May 4, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Still played actually. Mostly just Tattoine hero battle, but there's a couple regular servers most evenings.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

You reached the next level in 2142 when you realized that you could put the support motion sensor on the squad leader gun drone and it would not only follow you and provide enemy radar info but also use that data to target foes.

No the pro tier strat in that game was standing on top of the drone and using it to get to insanely high places. That was a fun bug while it lasted. There was so much good stuff in that game and it was actually drat well balanced. I miss the Nekomata and the Pilum.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Orv posted:

15 year olds aplenty, very rarely do I see your obvious wehraboos.

Is Mike Nomad still around?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is Svencoop still alive?

The frightening thing for me is that the guy's still updating it even after 14 years

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

No the pro tier strat in that game was standing on top of the drone and using it to get to insanely high places. That was a fun bug while it lasted. There was so much good stuff in that game and it was actually drat well balanced. I miss the Nekomata and the Pilum.

Pro tier poo poo was hunting down the Goliath from Northern Strike using the little jetski machine with the TV missile. That poo poo was like Monster Hunter.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Is Mike Nomad still around?

God I hope not.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This

Also Tribes 2

I miss them so much :(

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Nox, an ancient game yes but the multiplayer was fun as all hell.

I also played Infantry Online back when 'stas' and some guy named ryan or other made a free-infantry spinoff. THAT was fun as all hell. :unsmith:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I pretty much stopped playing multiplayer FPS'es once Crysis 2 servers shut down. Still chugged on a little bit with BF3, but when BF4 came out (and I still can't play it due to bugs) I quit completely

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crysis 2 MP had no right being as good as it was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Like all Relic games, COH2 has been teetering on life support for most of the last year because Relic doesn't know how to make a game that appeals to the E-sport crowd by:

-not being opaque on unit statistics
-Not governing almost everything with ridiculous RNG (until recently a downed plane was the most powerful arty in the game)
-Not making every unit a hard counter to every other, except for whoops that one unit that is strong vs. everything

I still play it but gently caress. Why do I play this game? Why? At this point there aren't even that many people playing comp stomps.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
CoH2 was always less good than CoH.

Ugly font and interface for one thing, had that cheap and nasty mid-late-90s XCOM vibe to it.

e: plus the first maps that came with the game were total garbage since there was a senseless push to make them 2/4 player. Too big for tight 1v1 matches by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Stellar Impact
It's a "moba" but with space ships that play like old school navy ships. Positioning was very important, you wanted to broadside the other ships to get most of your weapons to shoot, you still had roles like DPS, support etc from massive dreadnoughts with lots of firepower to a science vessel with a tractor beam etc.
I guess Fractured Space is sort of like a 3d 3rd person version of Stellar Impact but it just doesn't have the same charm to me.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 27, 2015

• Locked thread