Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Schurik posted:

A classic, but with a transition!

The only thing that makes me less certain that my brain and eyes are working properly is whatever the hell is going on in your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

If you cut the v off the .gif you can use regular [img] tags:

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Pneub posted:

If you cut the v off the .gif you can use regular [timg] tags:

Imgur just hosts both formats. That gif is 53 mb. It is not a very nice thing to embed in a webpage, especially for people browsing on a cellphone.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Simple but effective.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Schurik posted:

Simple but effective.

I've read (in meme form, so take with a grain of salt) that apparently schizophrenics can't see these sorts of "concave looks like convex" illusions.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Cross-posting from the .gif thread:

http://i.imgur.com/qYZyECx.gifv

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

If you want to see something actually creepy, do this with your likeness in a mirror.

The Troxler effect! This is some cool poo poo!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troxler%27s_fading

Basically, your brain 'gets used to' unchanging visual stimuli, and stops noticing it----so parts of the image fades away. But when you look back again, the brain goes 'gently caress, something was supposed to be there!!' and kind of makes poo poo up to fill in the gap. Result? Your reflection becomes distorted and horrifying.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Shneak posted:

Good ol' Jesus. Stare at it for 30 seconds without blinking and then look at something blank.

My mind always interprets it as some terrifying zombie.

It's crazy how long your brain can hold onto the pattern. I just looked at it for 30 seconds and out of curiosity decided to see how long it would take for the pattern to completely fade away, and it took almost 5 minutes before I couldn't see the face anymore, I can stills see a vague outline of a circle when looking at my wall.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
This is not a good thread to read after coding all day and being tired. Its doing bad things to my brain. :psyduck:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

A request: That pic of a circle with a fish drawn in it. When you scrolled your mouse down the page it had a really neat effect. I remember goons going crazy about it when it was posted years ago.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember that thread, it started as a lovely photoshop thread with an incredibly lame effort by the OP, but people using Firefox noticed that the background the guy used happened to cause an almost zoetrope effect.

Give me a bit, I might still have it somewhere.

EDIT: Here we go, actually had several saved:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Dec 6, 2015

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

KongGeorgeVII posted:

It is late and I am easily confused. Can someone explain how this was done?

I'm not exactly sure how that particular illusion was done, but I think it's done by having two rails that are closer to each other on one end and further apart on the other end. So when you put a ball on the rails they roll from the narrow end to wide end. Basically the ball rolls down from its center to its edges.

Edit: the other stuff is just there to give an illusion of a height difference.

snipermonkey has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Dec 7, 2015

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Haha, I thought it was a joke at first, but that it amazing. It takes at least 30 seconds and it didn't disappear completely for me, but it came very close.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Schurik posted:

Haha, I thought it was a joke at first, but that it amazing. It takes at least 30 seconds and it didn't disappear completely for me, but it came very close.

Yeah, I'm sitting there like "oh whatever. Maybe something's wrong with my eyes, cause it sure isn't disappearing....oh motherfucker..."

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Real life ones are probably my favorite.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Schurik posted:

"Please, that's not an optical illusion, that's clearly just a screen with some sort of camera tracking head movements so it can.... adjust............ :aaaaa:"

Segue
May 23, 2007

In a similar vein, your brain can't process convex faces, so this spinning mask will change directions because your brain can't imagine it being hollow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbKw0_v2clo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

So with magic eye, for me, Static images are inverted, and moving images look correct, I don't know what to do.

Team_q has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Jan 6, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Team_q posted:

So with magic eye, for me, Static images are inverted, and moving images look correct, I don't know what to do.

Is that an old Harry Potter?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that an old Harry Potter?

I imagine not.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

This combines two different techniques quite effectively, I think.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Schurik posted:

Witchcraft and...?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Witchcraft and...?
Wireframes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

I thought this was loss at first.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
This guy has some fun tricks on his channel dealing with perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS3F7I3hvfQ

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Schurik posted:

I can usually change the direction of rotations on these but after a doing it once or twice the nose always seems to be pointing outward. Kind of a half rotation, inversion and so on, and it feels weird.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Schurik posted:

I was in Miami a couple of weeks ago and the hotel we were in had a painting like this in the lobby. As weird as it is in a video, it was like five times stranger the first time I walked past it and my brain went "wait, why is that painting moving...oh wow!"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Schurik posted:

I don't get it. :( Maybe because it's on my cellphone that nothing's happening, but some of the other pictures here are a real mindfuck.

Also, I've always hated magic eye pictures since I was a kid. I could never get them to work.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I don't get it. :( Maybe because it's on my cellphone that nothing's happening, but some of the other pictures here are a real mindfuck.

Also, I've always hated magic eye pictures since I was a kid. I could never get them to work.

It's animated and very obvious, so it's probably just your cellphone. It's nothing to do with a magic eye or anything clever like that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What it's supposed to be is the perspective moves with you while you're looking at it, then the camera moves to the side and shows it's because the picture is made up of two convex shapes so it fools your eyes like those rotating face ones do.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
I remember one illusion that looked like a Grid but you could see little circles appear where the lines intersect as you move your eyes around. I just got a new laptop and the loving numberpad does the exact same illusion and it's driving me insane :(

Edit - Just realised it's actually the majority of the keyboard, I only just relaly look at it when using the NumPad...

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Feb 2, 2016

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
The left side of that picture doesn't do it to me but the right side does, especially the bottom right corner.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Popular Human posted:

The left side of that picture doesn't do it to me but the right side does, especially the bottom right corner.

It depends on how much contrast there is between the corners. This also works with colors, mixing blue and yellow to green spots. Can't find en example right now, sorry.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Popular Human posted:

Probably a symptom of inaccurate colors on your monitor/tv, it's worth investing the $10-20 for a bluray calibration disc and blue light test filter if you're not just on phone

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Schurik posted:

When I first looked at this it was just spinning counter-clockwise, then I got it to switch and now I can't get it to not just go back and forth, it won't "spin" properly. Sometimes I can concentrate on the body and get that to spin but then a weird thing happens where the face still doesn't and it looks super weird, I even got it where the hair was on the face, I just can't see the face as not in front now for some reason.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

cmndstab posted:

It's animated and very obvious, so it's probably just your cellphone. It's nothing to do with a magic eye or anything clever like that.

Yeah, it's my cellphone and not me. I checked it on my desktop computer and it moved like it was supposed to.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Brightman posted:

When I first looked at this it was just spinning counter-clockwise, then I got it to switch and now I can't get it to not just go back and forth, it won't "spin" properly. Sometimes I can concentrate on the body and get that to spin but then a weird thing happens where the face still doesn't and it looks super weird, I even got it where the hair was on the face, I just can't see the face as not in front now for some reason.

It's the Exorcist. Head spins freely of the body, then you projectile vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Another one like the one posted, a bit more effective IMO

• Locked thread