Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Long story short: I maaaaaaay (really long shot) be getting a job as a Java developer in Turku and wanted to go ahead get some info before I have to make an actual decision. I've been annoying the resident Finns at the Finnish language thread but didn't want to keep derailing it.

I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I'm in the selection process for a company called Vaadin; while Finland isn't my first choice to move to Europe it's the first place that's been willing to sponsor me for a work visa so my "masterplan" was using it as a base of sorts for about a year, tour Europe during my vacations said first year, and then see if I can find something somewhere else (Germany or the Netherlands maybe).

I can't speak Finnish but I've been told I can get by with English at least until I learn some Finnish, is this accurate?
My expected salary is €3000-3500 (gross), which seems to be about average, not bad but not great either. If I keep my spending low; let's say renting a studio 1-room apartment instead of a 1-bedroom, not eating out too much and being generally careful, how much can I reasonably expect to save per month?

How's living in Finland? Turku is a small college town, so there's bound to be some level of night life, but what else is there to do? I'm not a party animal and I'm pretty much happy with going to work, hitting the gym and then going back home to chill with a book or gently caress around the internet during the week, but some options during the weekend would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyvok
Mar 30, 2010
You can surely get by with English without any problems. I have a colleague who has lived in Finland like 7 years now and he knows pretty much zero Finnish :)

Your evaluation of your wage seems pretty accurate. If you are earning around 40k a year your tax percentage will be around 24% (http://prosentti.vero.fi/VPL2015/Sivut/Aloitus.aspx?kieli=en-US) plus a few percent for other stuff like mandatory retirement savings and work health insurance payment. I'm not too familiar with housing prices in Turku but I'd assume you would pay something in the range of 500€ a month for a single bedroom apartment. To that you need to add electricity (maybe <50€/month), water (like 10€/month), internet (like 10-20€/month), bus card (not sure how much it costs in Turku and if you need it, probably like 50€/month), home insurance (like 200-250€/year, very good to have because it usually includes stolen items within 50km of you home etc.) and probably the biggest cost in addition to rent will be food. This depends quite a lot on how you want to eat I guess but food is pretty expensive in Finland. I and my GF probably spend around 120€/week on food for the two of us but we are definitely not trying to scrounge as cheaply as possible (but not buying beef filets every day either). Starting from a gross of 42k a year and the costs I listed I'd estimate you have somewhere around 1900€/month left for food/saving/all other stuff after the fixed costs.

Btw. Turku is not "small" in Finlands scale, it is the third largest city in Finland :) Can't help with activities in Turku but depending on what you want to do there should be plenty.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hyvok posted:

You can surely get by with English without any problems. I have a colleague who has lived in Finland like 7 years now and he knows pretty much zero Finnish :)
Good to know. I do plan on learning it but it's nice knowing I'm not going to be trying to charade my way around for the first couple months.

Hyvok posted:

Your evaluation of your wage seems pretty accurate. If you are earning around 40k a year your tax percentage will be around 24% (http://prosentti.vero.fi/VPL2015/Sivut/Aloitus.aspx?kieli=en-US) plus a few percent for other stuff like mandatory retirement savings and work health insurance payment. I'm not too familiar with housing prices in Turku but I'd assume you would pay something in the range of 500€ a month for a single bedroom apartment. To that you need to add electricity (maybe <50€/month), water (like 10€/month), internet (like 10-20€/month), bus card (not sure how much it costs in Turku and if you need it, probably like 50€/month), home insurance (like 200-250€/year, very good to have because it usually includes stolen items within 50km of you home etc.) and probably the biggest cost in addition to rent will be food. This depends quite a lot on how you want to eat I guess but food is pretty expensive in Finland. I and my GF probably spend around 120€/week on food for the two of us but we are definitely not trying to scrounge as cheaply as possible (but not buying beef filets every day either). Starting from a gross of 42k a year and the costs I listed I'd estimate you have somewhere around 1900€/month left for food/saving/all other stuff after the fixed costs.
The company pays for both home Internet and mobile phone/plan, so that's a bit of a savings there, and (if I didn't misunderstand the brochure they sent), if you rent an apartment in a few places they have arrangements with, you get a €100 discount on the rent (may be a tax rebate, I'm fuzzy on the details).

So eyeballing it, I could easily be saving around €500 a month, and €1000 if I'm careful. That's a fuckload of money, €1000 is higher than my current salary here (yay for 3rd world exchange rates! :suicide:).

Hyvok posted:

Btw. Turku is not "small" in Finlands scale, it is the third largest city in Finland :) Can't help with activities in Turku but depending on what you want to do there should be plenty.
Hahaha, fair enough. I was going by what I saw in google earth and I focused too much on downtown (the company building is close); I'm not used to cities being "spaced out", everything here is a centralized clusterfuck.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
If you're Argentinian, you'll probably like football. The two local teams are Inter Turku and TPS.

• Locked thread