Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Both entrances are latched, that means either shes dead inside or someone is living there. Do a wellness check.

Should read the rest of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This is a cool thread OP and I am interested in continuing old house adventures

Zippy the Bummer posted:

be sure to hit the attic/basement because there might be some old antique poo poo that could turn out to be super valuable

dude this is how you like activate whatever fell Canadian curse is placed on the joint

"Everything you drink will turn to Molson in your mouth, like you're some kinda Beer King Midas. Sorry."

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Al Borland posted:

oh good Also sad that shes in a retirement home. :smith:

Well, she's 98 years old, walks with a cane and has no living relatives. I think it's great that she's somewhere with other people where she can be looked after. Specifically, she's in a home for veterans.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Let's buy her an account.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Maybe have some sort of relationship. You could inherit the house!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Nessa posted:

Well, she's 98 years old, walks with a cane and has no living relatives. I think it's great that she's somewhere with other people where she can be looked after. Specifically, she's in a home for veterans.

I know its just sad she doesn't have family.
Be her family Nessa she probably has like 2 years left at best. be her family.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thread's really great and I'm interested in seeing more of the inside of the house but I'd like another intrepid explorer to find a new mystery house to skulk around thanks.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Really cool thread. I hope you get to take more pictures. I wonder why the house is unlivable though? It looks like it's still in pretty good condition.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Edgar posted:

Maybe have some sort of relationship. You could inherit the house!

I'll admit that I've sometimes fantasized about befriending an elderly person and then inheriting their awesome old house full of antiques because they had no family. But that is a fictional scenario.

The only houses I could inherit are my mom's hoarder house with a basement full of mold and continuous flooding, or my dad's hoarder house that is in terrible condition and needs major renovations. He keeps saying he has plans to work with a developer to turn the place into a fancy new rental property, instead of a lovely, old rental property that's been vacant for years and had multiple burglaries. I had some stuff stolen years ago and will never see insurance money for it.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Thread's really great and I'm interested in seeing more of the inside of the house but I'd like another intrepid explorer to find a new mystery house to skulk around thanks.

There might be one in your neighbourhood!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
that just looks like someones house dude

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Jake Snake posted:

Really cool thread. I hope you get to take more pictures. I wonder why the house is unlivable though? It looks like it's still in pretty good condition.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, unless there's some major internal issues or problems with the foundation. From what I've seen, the roof needs to be reshingled, the front porch and back stairs would have to be completely rebuilt, along with the upstairs balconies, new windows and probably updated wiring and insulation. I've lived in houses that were in worse shape than this one.

Back in the spring, my husband and I were looking at houses nearby (on the poor side of the street, not the rich side that this house is on) and came across a house that seemed like a really sweet deal. Perfect price, it looked super cute on the inside with 3 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms and a full basement with a build-in bar. For a second viewing, we took my father-in-law (used to build houses) and a friend of ours (carpenter currently working on his own older house) for them to take a look. As soon as they stepped in the front door, they started pointing out everything wrong with it. There was a major floor joist missing in the kitchen, the block foundation was in terrible condition and the wiring was a death trap.

So we walked away from that house, even though it seemed in good shape to our untrained eyes. Sure, that house could have been fixed, but it would have required a lot more money than we were willing to put in to make it safe to live in.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Nessa posted:

I'll admit that I've sometimes fantasized about befriending an elderly person and then inheriting their awesome old house full of antiques because they had no family.

aha

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So this thread is over then? I can stop checking it?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So this thread is over then? I can stop checking it?

Hopefully not over! I'm waiting to hear back about permission to take some interior photos.

If I get a yes, then I'll let you all know when that's taking place. I might try to bring along a friend of mine who has a far superior camera. He took my wedding photos and I'm sure he'd be interested in taking old house photos. Especially now that the leaves are changing colour and starting to fall from the trees.

I walked past the house earlier today and saw a squirrel jumping around in the trees. He kept staring at me and then started screaming at me until I left.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
sup edmonton person. what part of town is this place in?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Make sure you take pictures of every room like including the basement and attic. TIA

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Boinks posted:

Make sure you take pictures of every room like including the basement and attic. TIA

And whatever you find in the vents.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Nessa posted:

I walked past the house earlier today and saw a squirrel jumping around in the trees. He kept staring at me and then started screaming at me until I left.
Wait... what? What sort of Indian burial ground are you loving with?

metricchip fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 1, 2015

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

metricchip posted:

Wait... what? What sort of Indian burial ground are you loving with?

Have you not heard a squirrel alarm call before?

At first, he was just making the usual squirrel chirps, but then he started his high pitched screaming call to warn all the other squirrels that a weirdo (me) was nearby. It might've had a nest nearby.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Nessa posted:

Update!

I got an email from her lawyer saying that Muriel is living in a retirement home and that the house is vacant. He said that the house is unliveable, even with substantial renovations. There have been some prospective buyers in the past, but the lawyer feels it would have to be sold for lot value only.

I said it was sad to hear that the place is unliveable and unable to be restored. I also asked permission to take photos of the interior, accompanied by someone who could lock up the house.

So... no dead bodies. I'm still hoping to do a photo adventure though.

Buy the house make a sick rear end haunted house for Gee bee Ess and become the forums superstar you were always destined to be.

Cool thread an pics, OP!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

Buy the house make a sick rear end haunted house for Gee bee Ess and become the forums superstar you were always destined to be.

Cool thread an pics, OP!

If I had that kind of money laying around, sure. But for reference, there's a large lot a block away from this place with the same view being sold for 1.7 million. "Lot value" for this place would be an easy $700,000.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

sup edmonton person. what part of town is this place in?

Cromdale!

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
if her lawyer says its ok for you to walk around in her falling down on itself house he's prob not a super ace lawman but maybe canadians dont sue each other idk

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nessa posted:

If I had that kind of money laying around, sure. But for reference, there's a large lot a block away from this place with the same view being sold for 1.7 million. "Lot value" for this place would be an easy $700,000.

Cromdale!

Befriend the old lady and see if she'll leave it to you. You can leave it to charity or whatever when you die if that's her plan for it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

Cromdale!

oh cool

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Solice Kirsk posted:

Befriend the old lady and see if she'll leave it to you. You can leave it to charity or whatever when you die if that's her plan for it.

Or sell it for lot value since lot value is apparently $700k

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well that's not in the Canadian spirit! I honestly think their prisons are nicer than some of my old neighborhoods.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Nessa posted:

It's very nice of you to visit her. She's probably pretty lonely.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

Have you not heard a squirrel alarm call before?

At first, he was just making the usual squirrel chirps, but then he started his high pitched screaming call to warn all the other squirrels that a weirdo (me) was nearby. It might've had a nest nearby.

American squirrels don't scream. They know to remain silent and not be disruptive.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I went to visit Muriel today with the moral support of a friend. I didn't want to go by myself because it was unsure of her physical or mental state.

And it turns out I was right to be concerned about that. Her mental faculties were not all there. She had a lot of difficulty hearing, asked us the same questions multiple times and repeated herself a lot. She was, however, very pleased to see the yellow carnations I had brought for her.

She asked me several times where I lived, and I had to show her on a map for her to understand. I wasn't really able to get much of a conversation out of her, I'm afraid. It was a little heartbreaking when she asked what month it was. Though now that I've already met her, I may go see her again by myself sometime when I have the time. It takes a train and two buses to get to the veteran's home, so about an hour of travel time.

I tried talking to her about the house, but she didn't really have anything to say about it.

Sorry, there's not a really exciting ending to this story. I'm unsure if I could even make friends with this lady, as she probably won't remember me tomorrow.

At least she liked the flowers!

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks for the update, and thanks for starting an interesting thread.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Awwww that's so sweet! You're good people, Nessa!

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
It might be worth talking to her with regular staff in the room, they'll know her and how to talk to her. Staff at nursing homes are usually good people, doing a hell of a lot for not much money, if you're still thinking about doing a story (text/audio) on this, interview her regular member of staff or if you're just interested in her, it might be worth asking for their help in talking to her.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
get her to sign over the deed

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Thanks for the update, and thanks for starting an interesting thread.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

prinneh posted:

It might be worth talking to her with regular staff in the room, they'll know her and how to talk to her. Staff at nursing homes are usually good people, doing a hell of a lot for not much money, if you're still thinking about doing a story (text/audio) on this, interview her regular member of staff or if you're just interested in her, it might be worth asking for their help in talking to her.

Actually, when I was looking up the address of the place, I came across a news article from a few months ago about allegations of abuse from multiple staff members. Someone had put a camera in her mother's room and recorded the abuse from different staff. It kind of makes me unsure of who to really talk to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a sweet conclusion to a fun thread. You are a good person.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, a few days ago, I sent the old lady a letter. I mentioned the flowers I brought her and talked a bit about myself. I also asked how she enjoys living at the veteran's home and asked if I could take photos inside the house. I've been very busy with school lately, and considering her difficulty with hearing and remembering things, I figured a letter was a good option.

I passed my the house on a walk today and noticed some things.

First off, the gate was open and there was a bag of leaves by the porch.

There were also some bags in the front yard.

And a skittish cat in the back that meowed at me until I went away.

Near the cat was also this thing.

It's not visible from the picture, but behind the glass is a pair of black, men's shoes.

Looking at the front porch, someone has definitely been here. The blue hamper has been moved and there's a bunch of footprints.

Possibly a new owner?

I hope to hear back from the lady soon.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i'm glad we solved the mystery and found out that the house is, in fact, a house with rooms inside

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
your investigation and prying reminded them that the house exists and now they're fixing it good job goon you gave away a free house by asking too many questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I like this thread, keep being a good person Nessa. Also, B&E into that MFer

• Locked thread